Stolen Pixels #92: Crysis Demo, Part 1

Pages PREV 1 2

Blackbird71:
Yeah, I never get this either. I run Vista, and my time from hitting the power switch to being able to actually use the computer is less than 30 seconds (closer to 20), which is a few times faster than XP ever was for me. I have to wonder how much of the Vista hate that gets posted is just crap repeated from early reputation, because I've been running it for over a year and a half, and it's been smooth and fast the whole way without a crash.

Rather than assume otherwise reasonable people are taking part in some sort of anti-Vista conspiracy, I'm betting it's just that Vista has serious problems with some configurations and works fine for others.

The stuff Vista is doing under the hood is pretty outlandish:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
And most of it is obviously obscured from the user. The user has no way of knowing that the IM program they installed (or came pre-installed) that they use once a month is actually launching at startup and getting hooks to multimedia devices for webcams and microphones and such, which triggers the Vista slowdowns as it does whatever it does.

It's the OS equivalent of airport security. Sometimes, with the right passengers the line can move right along. But all it takes is a couple of misbehaving applications (passengers with double-laced shoes, three laptops, a purse full of silverware, and belt buckles all over their clothing) to bring the whole show to a standstill.

Upgrading TO Vista might be another source of trouble. Its probably is less likely to have hardware freakouts on a machine designed for Vista from the outset.

For the record: I'm skipping Vista. I'll be going directly from XP to W7, assuming it's as good as people are saying so far.

Brotherofwill:

That's longer than it takes to reboot my computer

Well then you obviously don't have vista, I could go grocery shopping during the start up loading times.

My Vista loads within a minute on a pretty normal laptop... Try using "Ccleaner" once in a while ;D

Mistwraithe:

Liverandbacon:
That's odd. I have Vista, and my PC gets to the point where I'm browsing the internet in around 45 seconds from initial power-button pressing. And I have quite a few of programs that run at startup.

Is that a full boot or just start up from Hibernate?

Start up from Hibernate is quite snappy and by default the button on the Start menu which looks like a power button actually hibernates your machine.

However doing a full boot is like waiting for the second coming...

Full boot. On my Vista laptop, which isn't nearly as nice hardware-wise as my desktop, the startup takes a bit more than one minute, but is still fast. My XP laptop, on the other hand, takes so long to boot up to a usable state that I can make myself a sandwich, and still have time left over.

OT: Yeah, the ads at the beginning of Crysis were really annoying until I figured out that I was meant to press the spacebar.

I hope you're not planning on plaing Crysis Wars....

I find it a big ludicrous that the major flaws being pointed out are long logo screens, which are not exclusive to Crysis and all but two of them (the EA logo and the legal one) are actually skipable. Why don't you do a thing on how long it takes to quit from assassin's creed on the PC? That was quite insane:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

Those splash screens are easily removed with a "fix" that shouldn't be too hard to find.

samsonguy920:
You sheltered person. The microwave I got stuck with for over a year at my new place took 5 minutes for one refrigerated burrito, and sometimes longer if it felt like procrastinating.

That's not boot time, that's processing time. But (on some microwaves) the boot time does include setting the clock...

Mistwraithe:

Liverandbacon:
That's odd. I have Vista, and my PC gets to the point where I'm browsing the internet in around 45 seconds from initial power-button pressing. And I have quite a few of programs that run at startup.

Is that a full boot or just start up from Hibernate?

Start up from Hibernate is quite snappy and by default the button on the Start menu which looks like a power button actually hibernates your machine.

However doing a full boot is like waiting for the second coming...

From a full boot, with Vista, takes about 40 seconds for me. I keep my startup completely clean of everything but a virus scanner. I hate to say it, but with well over a decade of experience fixing computers for people, I find that problems like this are almost always a user error.

AC10:
Why don't you do a thing on how long it takes to quit from assassin's creed on the PC? That was quite insane:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

The fact that the game took so long to quit is definitely one of the primary reasons I never finished that game. It felt like a chore.

What false whining. It takes five times as long for me to open Counter Strike Source, let alone load up a server.

Not to mention that when you create a new game, they show you that fancy way of using the nano suit. fuck that annoyed the hell out of me.
Also, microwaves, while off topic, TAKE FOR FUCKING EVER! Not only because I sit there waiting for it to cook that thing for the final fucking 30 seconds, which I swear take longer than the whole 5 minutes preceding it.
On the topic of boot times, Solid State Drives, make friends with them. If you want fast boot times that is. Me? I'm too cheap for that, so I got get something to drink or eat, whilst booting.
Which perhaps, explains my size. :x

Intro movies and ads definitely get old really quickly, but honestly, I cannot think of any games where a quick tap of ESC-SPACE-ENTER-mouse-click did not get me past the intro sequence. I am sure there were some, but Crysis is not one of them. To me that key-combo is as ingrained as Ctrl-Alt-Del. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is hardly something that gets my blood boiling. And I am quite an angry person (or so my friends tell me).

As for the Vista comments: I am not one of those people who denies issues just because he does not happen to suffer from them, but I will agree a lot of the Vista bashing is just that. Vista's is far from bad, both from a gaming/home use perspective as a professional one.

I just delete/rename/replace with 0b/... the bik files and that's that.

Yeah those unskippable ads suck hardcore. I always find its the stuff from ubisoft that tends to lock you into watching it.

Also what's with the space, enter, esc, mouse click thing? I recall that the esc key was exclusively used to skip things like this till fairly recently. So why the sudden shift to any other random key?

I reckon it's a cunning marketing ploy where they're thinking "Well we still let em skip it so they can't complain about em being unskippable. But if they can't find the key they still have to watch. The captive audience dollar is a big dollar...".

kato128:
I reckon it's a cunning marketing ploy where they're thinking "Well we still let em skip it so they can't complain about em being unskippable. But if they can't find the key they still have to watch.

I strongly suspect this is true. And evil.

This is EXACTLY what I was shouting at my screen when I played the Crysis demo.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here