Escape to the Movies: Surrogates

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Bob... Oh dearest movieBob, game overthinker, or whatever your handle is nowadays; it's been far past due to get better quality for your videos. Seriously, you've made so many videos and STILL this happens? What software are you using? Compressing it to all hell? Come on, this is nearly unreadable. In some parts is IS unreadable.

Interesting. I now have some slight hope for Surrogates. And nice shout out for Ginger Snaps.

It's a good movie and it helped me learn what a "Bruce willis" is.

Artemus_Cain:
Honestly, I didn't have High hopes for Surrogates, but I'll give it a shot.

And your a little lat on that Ponyo reccomendation. The theater already axed it in favor of Sorrority Row. Yeah...

find me something truely bad with bruce willis in it

ya, get back to me on that in the next 20 years

Ponyo was really cute! Hurray!

I was curious about Surrogates so I'm glad Movie Bob reviewed it. :)

I'm so bummed out because I just lost my Princess Mononoke DVD somewhere in my house (probably). Maybe I'll replace it on Christmas. Thanks for recommending Ponyo, Bob. That guy you're talking about reminds me of a 70's David Bowie.
I sure didn't see so much positiveness coming out from Surrogates. Thanks again.

ginger snaps was a movie clerk find for me, good times... i saw meagan fox on late night w/ fallon.... wow she is getting ...hmmm...uglier i think is the word, not in the sense that i would look away if i saw her, but in the sense that i would frown. and a monroe tattoo ?!? pffshfhf..fhshf! any ways rock on movie bob/game overthinker i await ur next blurp

I didn't have high hopes for Surrogates. I wanted to because I loved the book, but, now I guess I'll go see it. I went to go see Pandorum instead and I have to say, I loved it. I've seen a lot of negative reviews for it, but I personally would put it in my top 10 favorites this year.

And Ponyo was fantastic. I went to Atlanta the past weekend and it was playing down there. I guess it had something to do with Dragoncon going on at the same time, but Ponyo was great espesially with all the other anime geeks down there.

raxer92:

randommaster:
I really have to see Ponyo, but I have so much crap to do.

Nice episode, MB.

Edit: wow, a legitimate first post.

Go see ponyo man, they say that movie was a kid flick but i actually liked it, it brought me back to that awesome moment i had while watching Totoro and it also gave me a bit of nostalgia on how weird it was to talk to a girl when i was a little dude >.<

I want to go see it, because Studio Gibli (there's an "h" in there somewhere) always makes awesome stuff, but I've been really pressed for time lately.

raxer92:
that dude that made the persopolis movie ( i think it was a french flick o.o)

Actually, it was a woman. But I'd like to see it sometime.

OP: Were you watching the same movie as me?? Surrogates was fucking horrible. The acting was totally wooden, I saw most of the plot twists coming a mile away, and oh my God, the moral was the most ham-handed piece of shit I've ever seen. The only thing it had going for it was the fact that the digital airbrushing added to the whole "uncanny valley" feel of the surrogates, but I wouldn't bet money that that whole aspect wasn't a complete accident. I swear to God, I thought Jonathan Mostow couldn't get any lower when he shit out Terminator 3.

And before the accusations fly, I swear I'm not trolling here, I really did think that Surrogates was that fucking bad.

Can I also note a disturbing trend? A lot of you are like, "Well I wasn't sure, but since Movie Bob said it was good, it must therefore be good. I shall go and see it anon." Um, no. No offense to the man, but no. Go see the movie before you decide if it's good or not.

infernovolver:

Bob... Oh dearest movieBob, game overthinker, or whatever your handle is nowadays; it's been far past due to get better quality for your videos. Seriously, you've made so many videos and STILL this happens? What software are you using? Compressing it to all hell? Come on, this is nearly unreadable. In some parts is IS unreadable.

I'm afraid I have to agree...it's beginning to get embarrassing to squint to see what you're on about, just in case you're faced by Megan Dog next time.

Well, you really let me down with Drag me to Hell but you did like Ginger Snaps so I guess that restores some of your cred. Also Katharine Isabelle was far, far, FAR hotter than that generic piece of crap megan fox.

"Surrogates" was great. Very Philip K. Dick / Rod Serling storyline. Bruce Willis, solid as always. At first I thought it felt a bit short but I realized had the prologue been fully realized instead of snippets of historical info it would've seemed unnecessarily padded.

I'll agree with Bob, Ginger Snaps was a great little Canadian flick that hasn't ages too badly. The story is still great and it does a fantastic job for a werewolf horror with a piss-poor budget. I just recently revisited this movie and it got a thumbs up. I, too, will say go check it out.

Of course!!! Ginger Snaps. I remember I saw something similar to Jennifer's Body plot before...
Is it actually that similar?

Damn, I wanna see Ponyo.

I've been reading about plot structure recently and I knew what "As you know" is without explanation :)
I know that Ponyo is a good movie, but maybe if you into that sort of thing - well, I'm not aways in the mood for action or drama but that doesn't mean I don't like such genres.

I think I'll watch Gamer first, and I'm not sure about Avatar as there suppose to already be very similar movies to this and the only place it shines is animation. I know that there are a breakthrough movies or games that brings new things to the genre, but after all it's just new water to build generic movies on. For each one good thing there will be five bad.

Dude get a better mic for christ sake.
Also YEAH Bruce Willis is fuckin awesome :)

Cool, I may have to check it out some time. Not many films in the cinema I want to see right now, they're all coming out on DVD, from the point when I was miles from a cinema and too cheap to catch the train.

Oh, and on the topic of Ponyo, we don't get it in the UK (dunno about the rest of Europe) until Feb 2010. Seriously, what the hell? We're also just getting round to getting Up, so, yeah, rubbish... /rant

This is really good to know. I want to see it but it was "iffy".

toapat:

Artemus_Cain:

And your a little lat on that Ponyo reccomendation. The theater already axed it in favor of Sorrority Row. Yeah...

North

Do I win?

MovieBob:
Surrogates

MovieBob finds Surrogates "Pretty Damn Good"!

Watch Video

Maybe if most of that time hadn't been spent bashing 'Megan Fox' you'd have been able to fit it in last review.

And I still get a quality drop when lots of text comes up. Specifically the point where the dialogue-heavy page comes up.

infernovolver:

Yeah, that's how it looked to me too.

Good review, as always, but for the love of god talk to someone about your video compression, the artifacts all over it are really getting to the point where it's just sad.

AvsJoe:
I'll agree with Bob, Ginger Snaps was a great little Canadian flick that hasn't ages too badly. The story is still great and it does a fantastic job for a werewolf horror with a piss-poor budget. I just recently revisited this movie and it got a thumbs up. I, too, will say go check it out.

Though the werewolf effects were terrible.
Still, it surprised me; typically I don't like horror movies in the least.
Of course, I also liked the aspect of the younger sister going from a morbidly-minded teen into a rational, likable character.
I don't think that would be found in Jennifer's Body, either.

dantheman931:

raxer92:

OP: Were you watching the same movie as me?? Surrogates was fucking horrible. The acting was totally wooden, I saw most of the plot twists coming a mile away, and oh my God, the moral was the most ham-handed piece of shit I've ever seen. The only thing it had going for it was the fact that the digital airbrushing added to the whole "uncanny valley" feel of the surrogates, but I wouldn't bet money that that whole aspect wasn't a complete accident. I swear to God, I thought Jonathan Mostow couldn't get any lower when he shit out Terminator 3.

And before the accusations fly, I swear I'm not trolling here, I really did think that Surrogates was that fucking bad.

Can I also note a disturbing trend? A lot of you are like, "Well I wasn't sure, but since Movie Bob said it was good, it must therefore be good. I shall go and see it anon." Um, no. No offense to the man, but no. Go see the movie before you decide if it's good or not.

Its common sense that morons need to be told what to do, the government wouldnt have a job if this wasnt true lol... i agree with you on the fucking bad part, the second i saw this movie i saw shit taken from terminator, the ghost in the shell movie, and other cyber robot movies that have the whole Metallic dude under the skin thing that the movie had, i know its common for some movies to recycle things from plots like the whole robot thing but come on, when you recycle way too many plot points then its just summarizing what others have done, movies like these are supposed to introduce something new to the equation and god help us when they start the anime movie season with Astroboy CG movie, I tell you man if that movie kicks off then its going to be a whole lot of stuff taken from japan and remade from over here lol.

I laughed at the Ginger Snaps. I remember watching that years ago, and loving it. I even have it on DVD coz a friend found it for 5$ bucks in a bargain bin.. Shame really.

Great review. I wasn't really going to see this. Maybe I will now. Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'm going to go see "Fame", then.

I'm honestly not surprised in the slightest that a movie with Bruce Willis was good, I mean from the few, short clips that you showed I could some-what see what was going on through his silent performance alone.
So I might just give this one a look-in...

But on another note, dear God, please find a new way to compress your videos!
It's painful to look at sometimes, I realise the spectacle isn't what we're here for when it comes to a review, But when you go off on a wordy rant and use on-screen dialogue to sort the problem, the least we could hope for is being able to read it.

Also, never heard of Ponyo before, but it looks like something I'd enjoy, So I'm definately looking into it.

I haven't seen any trailers for Ponyo. Am I spending too much time with Rock Band Beatles? Seriously, this movie was in theatres for a week until I noticed it.

Nice review, Bob.

Oh btw, finally i know how that movie i watched a few years back in TV actually is called.
And i donīt have to see Jenniferīs Body because i watched this and found it good, tho itīs age was showing...
Havenīt seen the other parts.

MovieBob:
Surrogates

MovieBob finds Surrogates "Pretty Damn Good"!

Watch Video

Maybe I'm just overstretching the similarities but did this remind you of Dot Hack?

I mean I REALLY want to see it (I'm a fan of Willis) but I thought to myself "This reminds me of Dot Hack."

sanzo:

toapat:

Artemus_Cain:

North

Do I win?

Doesn't count. He was actually looking for a bathroom and the other actors started talking to him. He naturally began responding in a character because his brain is constantly forming doppleganger personas to help him deal with the chore that is acting like a pathetic non-willis human.

No really that's what I read anyways.

dantheman931:

raxer92:

It's not a disturbing trend. It's people who have taken his advice in the past, seen a film and liked it.

Once a person gets one too many suggestions from him and see's things they didn't like they stop listening.

Believe it or not some people in this world like the same things. It is almost how companies can produce millions of copies of something and not go bankrupt.

I'm porbably going to be shot for this, but I thought Ponyo sucked really badly. It had no crisis at all and is basically just all super happy-go-lucky and like we-are-the-world. It definitely didn't have any emotional rollercoasters like in the other movies (like Totoro or Spirited Away or Grave of the Fireflies). It was just happy little kid movie. Basically it was fish turn to girl. girl likes boy, girl marry boy through parents' arrangement. Pretty lame. The whole climatic part where ponyo has to choose (I won't spoil it) was completely and utterly anticlimatic. It was basically just "oh ok."

But I want to watch Surrogate now. And I can't believe I missed Moon. HOLY F*** I just saw the trailer, and I'm dying to watch it.

Grr, stupid UK, have to wait until next year for Ponyo to be released in cinemas here and even then it won't be the subtitled version.

Sorry really don't want to kick of a subs vs dubs bloodbath, I just have a severe dislike for anything dubbed no matter the medium or the original language and cannot seem to reconcile my desire to watch Ponyo on the big screen with my equally strong desire to never watch the dub.

ssgt splatter:
OK. I'll think about it.

scarab7:
Hmm a short review for once, maybe if all movies were as entertaining as this or better, then Movie Bob would have less work to do. Zombie Land came out recently didn't it? Was hoping for a review of it over Surrogate. O well it's free so I still enjoy it enough to watch it and read all the posts about it.

I don't think zombieland comes out until sometime in October...but I could be wrong.

It comes out october second, I'm waiting for it xP

As for Surrogates, this has inspired me to go see it!

Bob ... A+ on the pulling Ginger Snaps out there.

I feel your pain

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or