Zero Punctuation: Wet

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

williebaz:
Yahtzee you should really think about reviewing ODST all the things you complained about are gone:

No "Pants on head retarded AI's" (you rarely encounter NPCs)

while i'm not a very big halo fan(don't hate it just find it an extremely average series of games)i thought ODST was actually good. they should have made this into a full game, it is far better than the other halo games. however, you do encounter NPCs a lot. in fact you are paired with a different one in every single level other than the streets inbetween levels and the first real level. and yes, they are still "pants on head retarded".

you'll be happey to know the octopos in my head liked this rivew

Tought this review seemed a bit too short.

funniest ZP video I watched in a long time.

Ha! That "game crashes quietly behind loading screen" happened to me too.

Great game, though not alot of replay value.

After playing the demo for this game i simply must go out and buy it.
HE might hate QTE and cinematic gameplay but for me those are huge pluses.

Hey, awesome, Lord Quicktime Event is now canon!

MuD3:

williebaz:
Yahtzee you should really think about reviewing ODST all the things you complained about are gone:

No "Pants on head retarded AI's" (you rarely encounter NPCs)

while i'm not a very big halo fan(don't hate it just find it an extremely average series of games)i thought ODST was actually good. they should have made this into a full game, it is far better than the other halo games. however, you do encounter NPCs a lot. in fact you are paired with a different one in every single level other than the streets inbetween levels and the first real level. and yes, they are still "pants on head retarded".

Oh, well I was referring to the generic marines, they don't seem to get in the way much. The "pants on head retarded" ones seemed to die very quickly though which was my point.

Yahtzee gets Brütal Legend tomorrow!

why were so many people placed on probation on this thread?

Never was interested in the game to begin with. From what little I did see the game tried to sell itself on sex appeal, and if a game isn't going to respect me, I'm not going to respect it enough to check it out. Friend played it and brought up pretty much everything Yahtzee mentioned, except Yahtzee didn't bring up that you can't skip the grindhouse trailer cutscenes and that the game is absolutely hideous without the grindhouse filter.

Well personally I enjoyed the game but only because it was a break from the normal 50 billion fucking FPS games that come out, not because it was good, I think my standard of games has dropped to "is it an FPS? Is it a JRPG? Oh sweet, finally something interesting to play"

Can't honestly say I had planned to buy this game, but good to know that my prejudging of it was not far off.

I really hate QTEs for the record, my relfexes are just not good enough for them anymore!

I played the demo of this, and found myself randomly getting sqwished by a truck in the cutscene cause i was watching my friend play another game and found out i missed the quicktime event... Like they're bad in most games and i thought Yatzees hate for them was a biit too much but now i see why he hates them so much, IN THE CUTSCENES COMEON!

The game sucks and is an easy target for ZP's kinda humor. I do want to say a few words in defense of cinematic games. I think cinematic games have potential, that is to say, I think in-game movies can be a lot less shitty. One example of a cinematic game is 'Shadow of the Colossus' for the PS2. Being a console game, 'Shadow of the Colossus' does not immediately stand out with sheer graphical brilliance like some of the PC eye-candy games. 'Shadow of the Colossus' nevertheless looks amazing because of the subtle cinematic qualities in its presentation. For example, the main character is never shown directly in the center of the screen; the camera always pitches off-center. This is done intentionally to make the visuals more interesting while enhancing the games' visual depth. Think about it, having the camera inconspicuously showing the action from different perspectives is much more visually interesting than just seeing the action directly from behind the avatar as is the case for most games. Also seeing an object in a three-quarter view, receding into space, really enhances the 3-d perception of the game rather than, for instance, having the action constantly presented frontally. The game developers made fantastic use of camera blur to depict speed. For example, when the avatar is galloping on his faithful black mare the surrounding foliage is blurred to give a real sense of movement. To complete the effect, the camera switches to a narrow angle lens making the foreground seem closer and the background seem farther. So when I hit top speed on the horse it feels more like flying a supersonic jet. The use of camera-blur is oftentimes used to give an illusion of immense space. Like when you climb to the top of the mysterious stone megaliths that are scattered throughout the map as checkpoints and then pan the camera around the avatar. The camera blurs the background while keeping the foreground in focus creating an incredibly realistic sense of vast space. The camera is unobtrusively context sensitive. So, while panning the camera around the avatar it will gradually zoom out enhancing the effect of space, eventually dwarfing the main character against the overwhelming scenic awesomeness of the landscape. I could go on about how the cinematic camera contributes to the overall atmosphere of the game, but I think you get the picture --- no pun intended.

Hmm, my innocent defense of cinematic games has rather quickly devolved into fervent 'Shadow of the Colossus' gushing. I'm sorry, I hope you can discern the argument from all the fanboy drool.

cblrtopas:

Hmm, my innocent defense of cinematic games has rather quickly devolved into fervent 'Shadow of the Colossus' gushing. I'm sorry, I hope you can discern the argument from all the fanboy drool.

I wouldn't say SotC was cinematic actually. In fact, it was as far removed from cinematic as you can get. It had polish and presentation, and was an excellent game, but that hardly makes it cinematic. In fact, it did many things that absolutely would not work in a cinematic experience. Like riding your horse for a really, really long time, with nothing happening on the way, and giving Wander no real name or backstory. In a game it's able to work, and it gives you atmosphere and a feeling of isolation, something a 'cinematic' experience would ruin.

i think this game would have been better served withterry and gonad from the alone in the dark reveiw instead of pillock the game designer. but i'm sure pillock and gonad are friends because no one person can come up with so many bad ideas by themselves.

Couple this with Susan's m'eh review of this game and I can definitely say that I'm never going to purchase this game. Which sucks because it looks good and both reviewers said it had good ideas despite its terrible executions of those ideas.

I think I remember watching the trailer for this almost a year ago. Like all trailers, it looked like it had so much potential. So sad.

WOOOOOO! best one in while. I started making strangling noises because i was laughing so hard. That's how i know it was a good one. AND i definitely want to have Pillock's babies.

So sad when a game with potential gets ruined by idiot designers.

Ouch. Decimatory. Glad I watched this, I was considering Wet and I know my housemate is too...

Demon's Souls next week? You might like this one.

Funniest one yet. LOL'd more than once.

Great Review Ben. You said everything that I said in my head after playing the demo.
Wet is just a steaming pile of semi-hard horse manure.
Glad I never spent money on it.

shadow946:
Demon's Souls next week? You might like this one.

I actually sent him an extremely well written and thought out email telling him about Demons Souls. It might actually be a JRPG he can for once enjoy.

one of the better ones recently WELL DONE

excellent review. As always, you see through the tits to the arse beneath. Erm, there're no arses under tits. This is wrong. Mind scrub. Ah, that's better, how about learning something about real wet work? Corbett Report - Anti Illuminati - bio weapon cyber attack

Rudeboy4360:
Great review VZ but was expecting Halo ODST.Still funny as hell.

Yahtzee said in Extra Punctuation that he wasn't going to bother.

DEAR GOD WHY DID I GOOGLE WET BOX WITHOUT THE FILTERS?!

Excuse me, I need some brain bleach.

WET is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HOOORRIBLE game.

A prime example of todays lameness that has struct the gaming market since the start of the century.

Anything that sells to be "cinematic" is a lame excuse for not implementing interactive gameplay elements properly and should be discarded and not sold as a GAME which should be concidered scam.

WET sucks so much because its generic, lame and you jump/slide CONSTANTLY which feels really ridiculous and overdone.

Pretty good, although I think cinematic gameplay can be good if done right.

KRoNuS Gai:
why were so many people placed on probation on this thread?

It's a relatively nice way of saying, "please read the forum rules before posting next time."

Yahtzee topics always have a lot of probations, suspensions and bans, because people from outside the forum join just to post there, but they sometimes don't bother to check the rules before doing so.

Great vid although not in your top half. Pillock was hilarious though. I wonder why so many people got probation at the start of this thread.

Lol, loved the conversation with the game designer and his boss.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 72787)