Stolen Pixels #147: Naked Greed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I got Sten to join my party in Lothering just after having sold all my spare stuff. He comes with nothing but the peasant clothes on his back, so I stripped Alistair to clothe him. Then I left Lothering. It made for a very awkward campfire scene....

I've certainly thought of it, but in Dragon's Age, it seems you get their stuff when they disappear/die. I played all the starting stories through (just to see) and in the first one or two I thought about the fact that I lost some party members stuff --- but then (maybe it was the dwarf common) I realized that I had it in my inventory --- that the game had given it to me.

On the upside, as far as video game characters go, those guys are ripped!

Back when I played Dungeon Siege. I would free Merik the mage from the Ice Caves, accept him into my party, strip him of all his kick-ass gear and dump him again, laughing at his angry outburst at me. Then give his good gear to Andiemus further along the way, who is way better than Merik anyway.

Shamus Young:
Stolen Pixels #147: Naked Greed

Even temporary party members can be useful for something.

Read Full Article

You get Jory and Daveth's gear when they die automatically, but that much is pretty obvious. I'm betting you're just using the gear as justification for watching them naked... ;)

i used to do this just because they were my decoy characters. Instead of a tank, I would set it up so the one without the gear would get hit the most while the ones with the gear would slaughter the opposition.

Don't worry you are not alone on this one. I've done this multiple times in many RPGs and has always helped out. Course many RPGs of today don't really give that much of an advantage compared to the SNES and PS days.

Hahaha! I did the same thing with the mage and soldier characters who accompany you to the tower.

wow. I thought I was the only one who did this. I was bitten hard by losing characters (and thus their stuff) in Final Fantasy so often that I started doing this in every game I'm in.

You don't have to unequip it. When they die, its automatically added to your inventory, actually, iirc. Yes. Bioware actually was that cool.

Haha i would leave someone if they sold my clothes :P

Hah, yeah I've considered doing this with Dragon Age.

Poomanchu745:
BTW what the hell is a mook? Sounds like some derogatory term you would call some Asian man.

This.

OT: I did this very thing to the one temporary party member you get in Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. Someone told me Orson would betray me, so as soon as the fight started, I traded all of his equipment to Ephraim and the two cavaliers. Justified that I do that right away because he's a Jeigan archetype and an EXP whore.

And I absolutely hate when you get a temporary party member that you were absolutely sure was going to stay in your group the whole game, and you give them all of your nice equipment, then they die, defect, etc. and they take it with them because the game feels liking hitting you where it hurts.

I had moral dilemma not 13 hours ago.

I chose to let them die with dignity, ie choking on all fours fully dressed and as a coward fully dressed.

Man, ever since I bought those elemental claws for Yang just before he was swallowed by Leviathan I've been really careful about what kind of gear I trust my NPC buddies with.

Digging the new Stolen Pixels logo, by the way.

Bastard from fire emblem running off with all my lances...
how I cursed him

Actually the game automatically gives you their gear when they leave the party.

There's only one instance where this doesn't happen and I can't remember what it is, origin story maybe.

Heh, I used to do that in Golden Sun and KotOR.

I do it.

I totally did this on my second playthrough.

Shamus Young:

Poomanchu745:
BTW what the hell is a mook? Sounds like some derogatory term you would call some Asian man.

I thought the same thing for the longest time. I heard people say "mook" and for some reason I thought it was this awful racist slur against African-Americans. (I was confusing it with the now-archaic "spook".)

It was just a couple of months ago I Google'd around and found out "mook" is just a minion, henchmen, cannon-fodder, etc.

There's a harelip joke in there somewhere, I'll get back to you both...

I can never bring myself to strip them naked, but I will swap all their cool items out with the equivalent of wet cardboard armor if I suspect they will be parting ways shortly - no sense having them walk off with the good stuff!

TsunamiWombat:
Actually the game automatically gives you their gear when they leave the party.

There's only one instance where this doesn't happen and I can't remember what it is, origin story maybe.

Well when

you don't get any of the gear you'd equipped that character with back - I ended up reloading my save from right before that event and taking away the weapons (didn't actually want the armor since the replacement character came with kickass stuff, albeit minus a helm).

Yeah, you are not alone with this habit, I think I first did it in Baldurīs Gate 1, with Montaron and Xzar.

Also, BG1 had one genre-savvy NPC that knew how to (partially) prevent this: Xan, he had a sword that only he can use. (And itīs a really cool sword, basically a laser sword.)

Shamus Young:

Poomanchu745:

I thought the same thing for the longest time. I heard people say "mook" and for some reason I thought it was this awful racist slur against African-Americans. (I was confusing it with the now-archaic "spook".)

It was just a couple of months ago I Google'd around and found out "mook" is just a minion, henchmen, cannon-fodder, etc.

Which is a problem as you also have "gook"(derog) for a Vietnamese person, and "kook" for someone odd. Which makes the TF2 achievement "Kook The Spook" even weirder.
"Mook" is actually an ancient derog. against Italians though; So yeah...

Dommyboy:
Reminds me of this image:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7708/1258960415507.jpg

*fapfapfapfapfapfap*

I do it. I rob them of all their gear. They're only temporary party members anyway - what does it matter if they're naked and die a bunch of times? I'm not going to heal them.

Rane2k:
Yeah, you are not alone with this habit, I think I first did it in Baldurīs Gate 1, with Montaron and Xzar.

Also, BG1 had one genre-savvy NPC that knew how to (partially) prevent this: Xan, he had a sword that only he can use. (And itīs a really cool sword, basically a laser sword.)

I use to take all of Montaron and Xzar's stuff, make their clothes pink and yellow and kick them from my team :) Also, Yoshimo in BG2 is a twat. He had such good items and then tried to kill me, ever since then I kill him as soon as I meet him :)

Seriously, did you honestly think you were alone in this? I assumed that everyone did it, but I tend to assume that everyone does most of the things I do. I tend to assume that what I'm doing is logical and therefore everyone does it.

I used to do the opposite in KOTOR2 (dude is about to fight enemis: Here are some first-aid kits for you!) :P

I used to do this in other games. Now I want to do it in DAO, just for the lulz.

I did that, too. And more. Nearing the end of the game, I would have one group of four I would always travel and fight with. Naturally, those four were the only party members who had any gear on them, since i saw no point in equipping people who just hang around at camp.

seems like a good idea

aawwhh never really thought of doing that..
but very funny.
you could have also stolen pixels from the grey warden ritual scene.. if they appear naked at that time it would have been quite amusing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here