Escape to the Movies: Hot Tub Time Machine

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Izzil:

blakfayt:
Is it possible to lose the respect of a reviewer after one review? Yes, I must say that you have lost a fan Movie bob, you picked me up when you said you hated halo, you lost me when you recommended this movie. Also the problem with Repomen was that the fucking idea was stolen from Repo the genetic opera, it was THE SAME FUCKING CONCEPT WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS. *sigh* farewell movie bob, with this the escapist is one step closer to being dead to me.

Melodramatic much?

OT--I was on the fence about seeing this. On the one hand it had a decent cast. On the other, the premise was idiotic. Maybe I'll give it a go when it hits the local cheap seats.

Nope I'm right there with Blakfayt. I've always seen Movie Bob as a movie enthuse first. A movie critic second. And he too has lost a fan out me. I've watched his weekly shows from the beginning of his posts. But, Alice in Wonderland was the first red flag. RepoMen was the second red flag. And this one at the beginning was a HUGE red flag about this guy and his lack of being an enthuse and as a critic. Instead being a douche to his fans for correcting him on an obvious error.
By the way, Repoman the Genetic Opera isn't a Rocky Horror Picture Show musical underground cult knock off. It's a classic and I would have guessed someone like Bob would have praised the classic rather than the rehashed Hollywood bullshit. But I digress.... Bob lost a fan here too.

V/R
P.O.

SpaceSpork:
Look, we're not angry because Repo: The Genetic Opera was really good, we're angry because whoever the fuck came up with the title was blatantly stupid enough to add the word Repo to the title of a movie that's ripping off the same general premise as another movie with Repo in it. Quality isn't the problem: plagarism is.

Actually, I think its pretty stupid to be mad that the names are similar. Its like the people who were mad that Repomen wasnt a sequel to Repoman from the 80s. Really? Its petty.

Repo! wasn't a classic. I don't even consider it "Obscure" or the least bit "underground". It cost like 8 Million to make, and was distributed by Lionsgate (lulz). So Repo! was not the least bit 'obscure' or anything like that. It was however, realeased in only a few areas, poorly reviewed, and didn't make anywhere near what it cost to make.

I liked the premise. The premise worked with the 'Rocky Horror picture show' type atmosphere. Made it all a joke. And from that aspect. the Premise worked. However, the singing, "acting", and overall everything else that makes it a movie... well... sucked. That said. Repo had better acting... and everything else just sucked. Trying to turn a very 'absurd' idea into a very serious idea... Well it just doesn't work. It would be like someone trying to take "Mr Bean Goes to ______" and trying to make it some ultra serious sci-fi movie with some moral point that has been milked beyond dry. Weird Image. sorry.

As for Repo! and Repo Men being the same... Those comments really should be termed "SIMPSONS DID IT" comments. I mean. Monty Python's "Live Organ Donor" bit. I guess Repo! and Repo Men shamelessly ripped that off. While Repo men also ripped off Repo Man. (in name alone. Since people are complaining about similar names)

As for Bob's review... I liked Hot Tub Time Machine. Sometimes, people just like 'low brow humor'. Sometimes, I just need a laugh that doesn't require thought. I don't always agree with Bob. Frankly, i don't always agree with everyone on everything. But I find Bob's point of view interesting. Same with when I watch ZP... I certainly don't get on the internet to hear people agree with me.

Khitten:

Loop Stricken:

"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..."

"A little glass vial?"

"A LITTLE GLASS VIAL!"

And just saying, Repo! was unique, it fits in the niche of geek and goth. Which I imagined MB to like. My wondering if he likes any musical, I mean it might not be his thing.

Personally like musicals, mainly the unique ones like Dr. Horrible.(Awesome movie!) And I thought the music was on par.

Wouldn't say MB lost a fan here, but somehow I REALLY DOUBT he watched Repo!

Assuredly, this movie looks like I would hate it... thoroughly.

This is only compounded by the non-existent review of its form and content. "Comedies are review proof," sounds more like a cop out than actual reasoning to say the same thing over and over again. If your usual formula does not work to review a movie I would recommend one of two things - 'Break your formula,' or 'review something else.'

Warriors of virtue was a good movie to 1997 me, and I shall leave my previous experience of that title as that - a memory.

Back to the future shall receive the same treatment. However, I think that another COULD be done - but we will need to wait for every person attached to the movie to either age out of cognition or perish. The 'jigga' joke, regardless, will be in need of suppression.

Echo136:
Actually, I think its pretty stupid to be mad that the names are similar. Its like the people who were mad that Repomen wasnt a sequel to Repoman from the 80s. Really? Its petty.

I think that that the people who were making a movie about people taking lungs and shit from other people with 'Repo' in the title should have researched a bit, and found that there was a movie about people taking lungs and shit from other people with 'Repo' in the title. That's all I'm sayin'.

dartkun:
Personally like musicals, mainly the unique ones like Dr. Horrible.(Awesome movie!) And I thought the music was on par.

Wouldn't say MB lost a fan here, but somehow I REALLY DOUBT he watched Repo!

Ah, another user who duly enjoys Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog! *friended*

Oh nice, I thought this movie looked stupid as hell but if its genuinely funny then hells yeah! I agree about bttf Bob, god you just know its impossible for them to do another good one of those and thus no one should even try.

Those movies worked for many reasons, one was the specific cast, the other was the fact they were made in the 80s.

After re-watching the "review" with the intention of giving MovieBob the benefit of the doubt...

No. He didn't actually review anything. No critique, no information. Nothing on whether it's going to stand above the rest of the slack-jawed, popcorn comedies coming out this year. And nothing that says why it's a "good" comedy.

The little 30 word blurb-advertisement in the newspaper today had a better review, and all it said boiled down to the premise and "good acting and writing made it better than expected."

awesome ending

williebaz:

MovieBob:
Hot Tub Time Machine

This week MovieBob takes a look at Hot Tub Time Machine.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Can you review heavy rain please? I want to see what a movie reviewer thinks of it instead of a game reviewer.

A Moviebob and Yahtzee tag team review of heavy rain would be quite epic. To bad Yahtzee already reviewed it, there goes my idea. But still Moviebob should review that cinematic game.

Cpu46:

williebaz:

MovieBob:
Hot Tub Time Machine

This week MovieBob takes a look at Hot Tub Time Machine.

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here.

Watch Video

Can you review heavy rain please? I want to see what a movie reviewer thinks of it instead of a game reviewer.

A Moviebob and Yahtzee tag team review of heavy rain would be quite epic. To bad Yahtzee already reviewed it, there goes my idea. But still Moviebob should review that cinematic game.

Aw man you're right that would be epic. They should do that for the next "Interactive story-telling experience".

I can't believe people /really/ think that Repo Men was a ripoff of Repo!

Let's get this straight. They share a basic concept, but that's no reason to call anything a ripoff, after all if we did that we'd be calling 99% of all dystopia fiction 1984 ripoffs, or all first person shooters Doom clones. Doesn't make sense, does it? Why doesn't it? The devil's in the details, kiddies. The characters, the tone, the setting, all are completely fucking different. And you know what? That's what makes the movie interesting. A concept goes only as far as the rest of the movie will take it. Twilight isn't a Dracula ripoff, 28 Days Later isn't a Dawn of the Dead ripoff, etc. etc.
Oh, and another (slightly) unrelated thing. Stop trying to force Repo! into cult classic status. Just because it's a Rocky-esque musical doesn't mean it's worthy of the same treatment Rocky gets. Hell, Shock Treatment didn't get that, and it's better than Repo!

thublihnk:
I can't believe people /really/ think that Repo Men was a ripoff of Repo!

Let's get this straight. They share a basic concept, but that's no reason to call anything a ripoff, after all if we did that we'd be calling 99% of all dystopia fiction 1984 ripoffs, or all first person shooters Doom clones. Doesn't make sense, does it? Why doesn't it? The devil's in the details, kiddies. The characters, the tone, the setting, all are completely fucking different. And you know what? That's what makes the movie interesting. A concept goes only as far as the rest of the movie will take it. Twilight isn't a Dracula ripoff, 28 Days Later isn't a Dawn of the Dead ripoff, etc. etc.
Oh, and another (slightly) unrelated thing. Stop trying to force Repo! into cult classic status. Just because it's a Rocky-esque musical doesn't mean it's worthy of the same treatment Rocky gets. Hell, Shock Treatment didn't get that, and it's better than Repo!

It seems that I'm the only Repo! megafan who realizes where the similarities between it and Reponmen end. I think everyone else is just butthurt that Bob didn't like it. Although I DO think it is totally worthy of cult-classic status (and brilliant besides), I also understand that personal taste has a lot to do with how much one likes a movie. Like I said before as my example of personal taste: I hate James Bond movies, but that doesn't mean they are bad movies (even though they suck, heh).

RestamSalucard:
B) 90% of the people who brought up Repo! have not seen it, and I'll explain why. (For the record, I've seen it, was fairly amused, thought it was the best thing to involve Paris Hilton clothed since she took the spear to the eye in House of Wax, and didn't care enough or think it was good enough to bring it up). People like to feel they're connected to cultures and impress people with their knowledge of cultures, that they're not really connected to. Hence they bring up obscure movies in conversation to make people think that they watch obscure films when they don't.
I've seen Repo! but that's not that impressive for me. I'm a filmmaker in training (no, I'm not being a pretentious dick, I'm studying as a film major in college) and hence, the best way to learn how to make movies is to...well watch them. Hence I watch a LOT of movies that are far more obscure than Repo! So most of the people who brought up Repo! didn't watch it, they just wanted you and the forum to think they had an be impressed that they'd seen it.

I'd like to defend my own said culture knowledge.
I saw the previews of Repo! When I watched the DVD to "The Spirit". It took an entire month to finally find a store who held it. We searched Best Buy, MovieStop, And some other obscure comic/nerd stores.
We didn't do this EVERY Day, mind you. Just took a month in general.
We finally found it in Hot Topic (Which shouldn't have come as a surprise, haha!) and watched it on my computer as soon as my brother and I returned home. Loved every second of it.

I say this because that post was like a short conversation going;
"Hm. I just ate this snickers bar. It was good."
"No you didn't. You don't know anything about that Snickers bar."
"...what."

Totally agree with the Back to the Future thing. Same for The Karate K........damn it......

I'm just a little wary of this movie because "stupid"-comedy as I call it, just isn't my thing and I worry that this might fall into that superbad, 40-year0old-virgin-filled category.

2 hours of listening to dumb people make dumb referential humor about drugs, alcohol, and sex just isn't what I call a good time.

I don't know, I'll probably wait for the DVD and check it out then before I waste umpteen dollars on seeing it in theaters. $1/night at redbox is worth the risk.

So, will we be bombing the theaters after they remake Karate Kid with (cringe) Jaden Smith? And Jackie Chan?! I mean, I like Jackie Chan, don't get me wrong, but that's just not his style.

AvauntVanguard:

Elesar:
B) 90% of the people who brought up Repo! have not seen it, and I'll explain why. (For the record, I've seen it, was fairly amused, thought it was the best thing to involve Paris Hilton clothed since she took the spear to the eye in House of Wax, and didn't care enough or think it was good enough to bring it up). People like to feel they're connected to cultures and impress people with their knowledge of cultures, that they're not really connected to. Hence they bring up obscure movies in conversation to make people think that they watch obscure films when they don't.
I've seen Repo! but that's not that impressive for me. I'm a filmmaker in training (no, I'm not being a pretentious dick, I'm studying as a film major in college) and hence, the best way to learn how to make movies is to...well watch them. Hence I watch a LOT of movies that are far more obscure than Repo! So most of the people who brought up Repo! didn't watch it, they just wanted you and the forum to think they had an be impressed that they'd seen it.

I'd like to defend my own said culture knowledge.
I saw the previews of Repo! When I watched the DVD to "The Spirit". It took an entire month to finally find a store who held it. We searched Best Buy, MovieStop, And some other obscure comic/nerd stores.
We didn't do this EVERY Day, mind you. Just took a month in general.
We finally found it in Hot Topic (Which shouldn't have come as a surprise, haha!) and watched it on my computer as soon as my brother and I returned home. Loved every second of it.

I say this because that post was like a short conversation going;
"Hm. I just ate this snickers bar. It was good."
"No you didn't. You don't know anything about that Snickers bar."
"...what."

I'd like to mention that I didn't say any of what you quoted me saying. If you want to have an actual debate with the person you're disagreeing with, you should probably talk to Elesar.

wadark:
Totally agree with the Back to the Future thing. Same for The Karate K........damn it......

So, will we be bombing the theaters after they remake Karate Kid with (cringe) Jaden Smith? And Jackie Chan?! I mean, I like Jackie Chan, don't get me wrong, but that's just not his style.

Actually, Bob has been following that one, too. The first trailer was a real WTF moment but the second trailer helped calm his fears; Jackie Chan definitely isn't phoning this one in and a lot of the nitpicks were explained. By the way, I'm hoping your idea of Jackie Chan's style isn't just based on his stupid comedies of recent years.

Me, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about this project, but then I'm just an opinionated viewer who has yet to see Jaden Smith's acting.

Saw it, was hilarious and worth the time :D

Also, thanks for pointing out Warriors of Virtue, I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for awhile now.

Had to check this after watching Repo! since I remember his little comment.
Bob seems kind of uppity here. It's one thing to get pissed off when people make some massive leap but when something is so clearly a blatant rip-off of another movie and you get defensive, you do not leave it looking particularly good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here