The Pocket Gamer Report: Nintendo's Pokemon Shaped Weapon

Pages PREV 1 2

Normalgamer:

Amarok:

Therumancer:

Maybe someday we will truely see Pokemon (or a similar game) for adult nerds (as opposed to young ones), or at least for older kids. :)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Explorers of Time/Darkness. No joke, there's suicide, execution (by being scratched to death by Sableyes) vicious beatings, Kabutops being an absolute badass, Dialga becoming the pokemon Satan, and the overall message being "everything's evil, might as well kill yourself"

I've played the whole game 3 times now(Absolutely loved it enough to play it that much.), when was their suicide unless (Spoiler) you count Grovyle willingly getting erased.

There's a slight chance I may have taken that nugget from another one of the mystery dungeons. In one of them there's definitely a

...the failures of the Gamecube and N64? And let's not forget the utterly abject failure of the Wii, too.
OT: Um, pretty much everything already mentioned now that I think of it. I spent 2 hours catching Chanseys yesterday to get a lucky egg and it paid off. I think anything that can keep you obsessed for a single item has a winning formula in it somewhere.

Yeah, Pokemon is successful. Who woulda thunk it? They've refined the whole Pokemon experience to near-perfection, and the pull of that "gotta catch-'em-all" tag is undeniably strong. It does however pain me to see some of the more recent additions to the ever-increasing database of pocket monster. I doubt I'll buy into the new generation, but I am interested to see how they intend to refine the experience even more.
That said, if they make a game where it's possible to travel between all the regions in the past Pokemon generations, I'll need a straightjacket to stop me from emptying my bank account.

adderseal:
I think anything that can keep you obsessed for a single item has a winning formula in it somewhere.

The fact that that sentence can be applied to Farmville makes it slightly... disturbing.

I have been an obsessed Pokemon fan for 10 years. Pokemon is very popular at my high school now. But I liked it back when people thought it was uncool. People of all ages like it and that is why it is so successful. It has multiple dimensions of game play that make it both casual and hardcore.

I think it's the concept of having a pet like a Pokemon that's great. Imagine having a big red dragon, or a giant lazy bear walking beside you, who listens to your every word. It's amazingly awesome.

Most people don't see it, but Pokemon is the mother of all RPGs. Seriously, most RPGs give you around ten possible party members right? Well, Pokemon's up to around 400. And you don't get them solely by progressing in the game. You're free to go out and nab a new one whenever you feel like it.

Ironically, the mechanics of pokemon has changed in every new iteration. That by itself is a strong reason as to why the game has stayed fresh. In addition, by having entirely new sets of pokemon and regions, Nintendo changes how the game is played each time from the placements of different pokemon.

Also, for the OCD, pokemon has a billion different variables an OCD player have very little control over. To have a max 31IV, perfect natured pokemon with the right egg moves is something that makes people literally catch 500 dittos in hopes of getting the "perfect one" for breeding. That's saying a lot for a series like this.

Also, I argue that a "pokemon for adults" would actually totally bomb. The cutesy graphics is one of the strongest reasons as to why pokemon is still around. The first reason is the "McDonald's strategy": hook 'em while they're young, since brand loyalty stays forever (ironically, this is employed by Nintendo in a big way with Mario, Zelda, and the like). The second is that the lack of threatening pokemon existing means that nobody could be offended by it.

That's basically what I think is why pokemon is still so strong today anyways.

RandV80:
Ok, I learned something new today... Pokemon was first developed by Nintendo for the gameboy? Seriously?

I really have no idea how I missed it. Sure I lived in a small northern Canadian town when I was in highschool, but it's not like we didn't get all the latest console games. Where I lived I clearly remember the pokemon fad hitting the elementary schools as a card gamed followed up by the anime again for kids, and years later when I noticed it was on gameboy I figured Nintendo acquired the license to make video game out of it, and have thought that way up untill today.

I mean seriously, there was 800 people in my high school and we had Snes'. N64's, and Playstation's, but no one really did the portable thing and no one played Pokemon. That was just like the kiddy version of Magic the Gathering that elementary school kids played. So I've always thought Pokemon was about the card game and the gameboy stuff were just add-ons that people continued to play when they got too old for the cards. Am I the only one?

Pokemon Red and Green were released in Japan in April 1996, having been developed by Game Freak. Nintendo has always been the publisher. The card game was introduced in October, that same year. The games came to the US in 1998, while the card game had to wait until 1999. The Game Boy game of the card game (you heard me) was released in 1998.

tombman888:
lol, i was playing pokemon diamond on my DS right before i read this

Heh, I'm sat playing Soul Silver right now.

RandV80:
Ok, I learned something new today... Pokemon was first developed by Nintendo for the gameboy? Seriously?
Am I the only one?

I think you might be. I have no idea how you managed to miss that Pokemon was a massive Gameboy Color game :/

Snork Maiden:

tombman888:
lol, i was playing pokemon diamond on my DS right before i read this

Heh, I'm sat playing Soul Silver right now.

RandV80:
Am I the only one?

I think you might be. I have no idea how you managed to miss that Pokemon was a massive Gameboy Color game :/

Colour? I had the black and white version thanks!
Good old blue on my gameboy really did introduce me to gaming.

Ushario:

Colour? I had the black and white version thanks!
Good old blue on my gameboy really did introduce me to gaming.

Heh, could've sworn it was Color only, but a quick Google says not. Then again I don't think "everything is blue or white" counts as colour, thinking about it.

I'm really starting to like the sarcasm in these articles.

If thats not the case, then check your facts. The N64 was nowhere NEAR a failure, and ended up being a financial success for nintendo. The reason the console shares would drop is when something new that looks promising comes about, people will try it. While the gamecube wasn't the most amazing thing, it was still all right, it just didn't meet nintendos average "holy shit" mark.

I think Pokemon will continue at least for another 8 years or so. I mean, it has no REAL story line except for the already proven fact - the goal is catch as many Pokemon as possible and to obtain badges and beat the elite four. I've known Pokemon ever since the first season of the TV series aired on its first day on TV. I've known Pokemon since the day Pokemon yellow came out for the original Gameboy. I think due to the fact there are so many unique individual Pokemon, that is what makes Pokemon addicting. That's why Nintendo is doing so well and continuing to produce more of the Pokemon games. Everyone finds it fun to chase down the most attractive Pokemon and catch it to add to their team. I myself find that part of the Pokemon games addicting. I think that as Pokemon has went on, Nintendo got clever with the fact they've enabled wireless connections between DS'. This way, you can battle with friends right next to you, or even across the house. That also makes Pokemon addicting, since everyone is willing to raise the strongest team and beat down their friend and laugh later about it.

Basically, i agree that Nintendo doesn't seem to be slowing down with Pokemon. Pokemon has too many features to it to stop now. I really do believe it will go on for another few years at the least, and people will STILL love it.

No matter your age if you say you play pokemon you wont get dissed or teased or if you do that person is hiding something. The best thing about pokemon is you can't hate it.... sure you can hate some of the pokemon but the gameplay is for everyone simple enough for not such hardcore gamers to understand and play yet at the same time complicated enough to make you think and and plan out every move to make sure you win. And one of the most addicting things about it is the catch rate when it comes to catching a something rare like entei, You know you only have one chance to catch it every time you encounter it and when you fail you keep looking for it. Its the simple things that make it really addicting.
TIMBAP_AJR

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or