Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 26 NEXT

Hammith:
Having not played this monster hunter, but having played most of the others, I can say that Yahtzee is almost certainly 100% correct in this. The games are like Demon's Souls with controls that feel less responsive, enemies that hurt more, insane levels of grinding (much of which involves killing really nasty things that you need the new item to beat at all easily), and long times of trekking across the map to get to the actual bosses.

If you want similar difficulty and skill-based combat, Demon's Souls does everything Monster Hunter does a million times better.

Except lacking in any sort of replayability, As much as I liked the game it just doesn't have much staying power after being beaten.

It's like criticizing a Zelda game for not being fun or challenging based on your experiences of the first hour or so before the first dungeon.

But ZP is about humor anyway. I hope no one actually uses Yahtzee's opinions to decided whether or not to buy this game. As far as accurate-and-valuable analysis of the game goes, this review is worth very little.

@Manas: Unless you are talking about FPS' and RTS, nothing compares to a gamepad sorry, you are just being an elitist gamer, and no-one likes one.

I'm not saying PC is bad, no chance in hell. But it's not perfect and is even further away from being the best console.

manas:

Daystar Clarion:

manas:

milskidasith:

manas:
Yahtzee, why do you review shitty games nobody cares about?

It's got an 8.5 on metacritic and it was the number one board on GameFAQs for about two months before RDR stepped up, and it's still at number three below the Xbox and PS3 versions of that, and it has pretty massive sales numbers, and it comes from a series that's incredibly well loved in Japan and has a strong following in the US due to MHFU.

The only way it would be a game nobody cared about was if you'd never touched a PSP, PS2, or a Wii, because the MH series has been huge on all of those.

Well, that might be the reason. I am a civilized man, whose brain works properly, so i know how to use mouse and keyboard. I dont need to use the microwave oven sold by Sony as PS2.

What's that smell? Ah yes, a PC elitist.

Excuse me for wanting a better gameplay then gamepad can ever offer.

Which makes you an elitist PC master race troll. I'll be over here, enjoying all my games, console, handheld and PC.

Fucking fanboys piss me off...

manas:

Daystar Clarion:

manas:

milskidasith:

manas:
Yahtzee, why do you review shitty games nobody cares about?

It's got an 8.5 on metacritic and it was the number one board on GameFAQs for about two months before RDR stepped up, and it's still at number three below the Xbox and PS3 versions of that, and it has pretty massive sales numbers, and it comes from a series that's incredibly well loved in Japan and has a strong following in the US due to MHFU.

The only way it would be a game nobody cared about was if you'd never touched a PSP, PS2, or a Wii, because the MH series has been huge on all of those.

Well, that might be the reason. I am a civilized man, whose brain works properly, so i know how to use mouse and keyboard. I dont need to use the microwave oven sold by Sony as PS2.

What's that smell? Ah yes, a PC elitist.

Excuse me for wanting a better gameplay then gamepad can ever offer?

Then why are you posting on reviews for console games with the sole intent of saying they are crap? I'm fairly certain you are just trolling, and if not your posts haven't indicated that I'd be missing out by not reading them, so I'm ignoring you at this point.

Towowo2:

Hammith:
Having not played this monster hunter, but having played most of the others, I can say that Yahtzee is almost certainly 100% correct in this. The games are like Demon's Souls with controls that feel less responsive, enemies that hurt more, insane levels of grinding (much of which involves killing really nasty things that you need the new item to beat at all easily), and long times of trekking across the map to get to the actual bosses.

If you want similar difficulty and skill-based combat, Demon's Souls does everything Monster Hunter does a million times better.

Except lacking in any sort of replayability, As much as I liked the game it just doesn't have much staying power after being beaten.

Actually, online gives it significant amount of replayability after being beaten, since there are a ton more missions, although online gets to the part where things become truly grindey, especially if you are trying to make the top end gear (Altareon gear) which requires you to farm an absurdly powerful boss for low drop rate items you get one chance of getting per match. Most monsters are much better about letting you consistently get what you need, at least offline.

Double Post.

Demoliboy2:
@Manas: Unless you are talking about FPS' and RTS, nothing compares to a gamepad sorry, you are just being an elitist gamer, and no-one likes one.

I'm not saying PC is bad, no chance in hell. But it's not perfect and is even further away from being the best console.

How old are you? 12? There are so many video game genres that demand a keyboard and or mouse to control. Maybe you should look them up sometimes.
I have fun with consoles, but your statement is just ridiculous.

Thank you Yahtzee, almost makes those stupid commercials for this game worth it just to hear you tear it a new one. Awesome video as always.

krgskks:

Demoliboy2:

How old are you? 12? There are so many video game genres that demand a keyboard and or mouse to control. Maybe you should look them up sometimes.

Actually, I kind of agree; only in FPS's (that don't have lock on, like RDR) and RTS's are mice absolutely required. Most other genres can be played just fine with a gamepad. Well, OK, TPS's need a mouse as well, and MMO's and real time RPG's might need one (Dragon Age, for instance, was just fine on the console, even if it was a bit trickier to get to the moves), but most genres are fine on any system.

I posting here because i would really like to know what is the sense of even playing a console game. So far i can't think of any.

PayJ567:

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Just what I was about to say. He basically summed up the HR1 experience.

Sadly true. I do love Monster Hunter and constantly urge people to actually get to the meat of the game - collecting and killing those small monsters is something of a meta-game - but sadly another person can't get through it.

I don't blame them, ultimately. You should not have to wait for 5 hours before actually being able to play the enjoyable part of a game. I honestly don't regret waiting that time to be able to enjoy MH, though.

You know I'd really appreciate it if Yahtzee played the games he's paid to review for more than half an hour.

It's just kind of silly that he plays the game for less than an hour, writes an hurrdurr 'review' with hurrdurr metaphors about said hour and declares the game is the worst thing since zombie Jesus.

I mean come on. And everyone else beating their chests and agreeing with him without having played the game doesn't make it any better.

I actually don't particularly care for Monster Hunter Tri, but it's just something that's been bugging me about Yahtzee lately - he's gotten lazier and it shows.

manas:
I posting here because i would really like to know what is the sense of even playing a console game. So far i can't think of any.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Please vacate the escapist through the various exit ports dotted around you. Opinions are fine, but you just look like a smelly troll.

Oh yeah and also, could you talk more about the actual games in the future and not about the opening cinematic and the consoles they're on?

When I watch "Zero Punctuation Review: Monster Hunter Tri", I expect it to be about, well, Monster Hunter Tri, and not about "LOL WII SUCKS" and "LOL OPENING CINEMATIC SHOWS ME FUNNY STUFF LET'S BURN A MINUTE ON THAT".

As a longtime fan I'm feeling disappointed by this new trend of laziness.

milskidasith:

krgskks:

Demoliboy2:

Actually, I kind of agree; only in FPS's (that don't have lock on, like RDR) and RTS's are mice absolutely required. Most other genres can be played just fine with a gamepad.

So we are going to ignore the adventure games, flight/space/whatever-sims, RPGs (and I'm talking real RPGs here, not action-adventure stuff like Mass Effect) and whatever other strategy games there are.

Yes a gamepad is pretty unbeatable when playing Beat'em ups, Sports games or some kind of 3rd person action game (like Silent Hill), but apart from that? I thought Need for Speed was better to play with a keyboard, although I can see people who would like a gamepad for that. You can play platformers pretty good with a keyboard. It might feel right with a gamepad, but it has no advantages.
Imagine playing Diablo with a gamepad or something like Baldur's Gate.

SirMax:
So... did the game have a plot? Was there any value to collecting anything and upgrading it? Or was it literally just a circle of upgrading to make it easier to collect so you can upgrade more?

It's a game that revolves mostly around doing quests online so it is supposed to be a kind of MMO that gives you the chance to play offline. Not a bad game if you like the kind, but he is right about the things he says, yet I find it addicting, but that might be because it's simple enough to understand, yet challenging enough to make you want to break your controller. Especially at the part with the sea monster he talked about... Why make you meet that thing that early when you have no chance to survive against it when you have to be in the same place as it?!
The review was still good though I had a different overall opinion on it.
I am guessing we'll be seeing No More Heroes 2 next week, and I will hopefully get that myself this Friday.

So we are going to ignore the adventure games, flight/space/whatever-sims, RPGs (and I'm talking real RPGs here, not action-adventure stuff like Mass Effect) and whatever other strategy games there are.

Yes a gamepad is pretty unbeatable when playing Beat'em ups, Sports games or some kind of 3rd person action game (like Silent Hill), but apart from that? I thought Need for Speed was better to play with a keyboard, although I can see people who would like a gamepad for that. You can play platformers pretty good with a keyboard. It might feel right with a gamepad, but it has no advantages.

Nobody cares. Stop trying to excuse your purchase. Having a "pc master race" avatar makes than even sadder.

Daystar Clarion:
Wow, Yahtzee completely missed the point of the game. Me thinks he didn't play long enough to fight some of the bigger monsters.

Yup. Though I was stunned at how much resource collection went into Freedom Unite alone; My friends rented Tri last weekend and...it looks exactly the same, only with more prep-grind.

The rank 3 and onward hunts were very interesting, requiring this little thing called "SKILL" to actually beat. Or the other hunts where you have two angry titans running your nancy ass down.

I absolutely hate resource grinding though. It takes the fun out of just about anything now, and (besides nearly crippling my left hand for life on the PSP's player-hating controller design) caused me to just stop playing Freedom Unite months ago. Great, panicky multiplayer though.

Oh wow, for the very first time I disagree with every single argument Yahtzee made regarding the game... ah well, had to happen sometime.

*goes back to grind for flashbugs*

Oh look. People are arguing PC vs Console again.

Telekinesis:

Nobody cares. Stop trying to excuse your purchase. Having a "pc master race" avatar makes than even sadder.

Actually, you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't have responded.

You do realize Yahtzee's "PC gaming master race" imagery was created out of irony?

Way to blab about my fencing technique.

krgskks:

milskidasith:

krgskks:

Demoliboy2:

Actually, I kind of agree; only in FPS's (that don't have lock on, like RDR) and RTS's are mice absolutely required. Most other genres can be played just fine with a gamepad.

EDIT: I don't feel like getting into this pointless war. Even when I fully admit some genres are better on the PC (as I edited in; real time RPGs, such as MMOs, and third person shooters require a PC to work), I still get the whole "You're ignoring X" with a subtext of "You are a console fanboy." If you think everything, even games that are turn based so the control scheme doesn't really matter at all, is better on a PC, that's fine by me, but be a bit more respectful about it instead of going with the whole "you're ignoring X" opener.

Nfritzappa:
You do realize Yahtzee's "PC gaming master race" imagery was created out of irony?

No I'm taking that very seriously like the rest of the people here.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those states. Why can't they just become nuclear testing grounds? The people who live in them already appear to suffer from the mental retardation caused by exposure to radiation.

Please note that I am NOT being serious, I acknowledge the existence of Texas, I just don't like it :)

Daystar Clarion:

This game has a very 'Dark Cloud' vibe sound to it. I feel. Just swap a few things around.

Well, I'm in the camp of those who played the first Monster Hunter on PS2 and never looked back. As far as relaxing hunter/gathering games go, there's nothing like it. Still, I totally understand that most people lack the patience to play a game such as this. After all, it forces you to earn your hunter ranks, rather than spoil you with the instant gratification gravy game developers dole out so easily these days. I love Monster Hunter's atmosphere, a no-nonsense representation of what the game wants to accomplish: total relaxation in a warm, inviting world from the past.

Still, even though I apparently don't agree with its contents, Yahtzee did make an entertaining review. Liked it.

Oh, and about the keyboard & mouse vs. game pad discussion: *real* players can master *any* input device required by the games they play, and that's all I'm going to say about that. Peace.

cheywoodward:
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those states. Why can't they just become nuclear testing grounds? The people who live in them already appear to suffer from the mental retardation caused by exposure to radiation.

Please note that I am NOT being serious, I acknowledge the existence of Texas, I just don't like it :)

Uhh....wrong thread?

Aura Guardian:

cheywoodward:

Uhh....wrong thread?

It was in response to what Yahtzee said about hunting games.

Seriously? Im dissapointed Yahtzee. I mean, I know the game doesnt exaclty explain itself but I thought it was pretty obvious that after 30 mins of Gathering quests you get to do the proper quests and fight the real monsters. That horrifying sea monster you found? Go find the actual quest to slay one. It is there, you may have to rank up first but there are plenty of other quests with other monsters to kill. Gathering is a large part of this series but after about an hour of play attention quickly goes back to the monsters.

cheywoodward:

Aura Guardian:

cheywoodward:

Uhh....wrong thread?

It was in response to what Yahtzee said about hunting games.

Ah. My mistake

I was, knowing Yahtzee is a Silent Hill 2 fan like me, hoping ZP this week would be Alan Wake. Man did I not like that game.

Lol he makes it sound so horrible. Poor Yahtzee didn't even make it to the good part of the game, though I don't blame him. It about a good 5 hours in that you actually get to fight anything worth its own salt. Until then, it's a hell of a grind, learning the ins and outs that become integral and second-nature later.

I hate to say it, but I must dismiss this review entirely. Yahtzee has missed the whole point of the game, of which he touched on in such a minor way when the "giant sea monster" came and attacked him. Nobody plays to hunt tiny wimpy monsters and carve up innocent little critters. It's all about the massive monster fights that make you feel so good after finishing.

I was hoping to hear Yahtzee's take on that (pretty much the reason we play this game) side of MH, but it seems he never made it far enough...

And now I can't help but wonder if he's done this with other games, too. Completely missing the point because he can't stand the tutorial.

Monster Hunter Tri makes a mockery of the hole Monster Hunter series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here