Zero Punctuation: Monster Hunter Tri

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 26 NEXT

See, I can understand Yahtzee's gripes about this game and I can see where he's coming from, but these kind of reviews take the hardcore fandom stick and cram it so far up my ass that I start gagging on it.

I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and this one actually made me giggle a few times because it was genuinely funny, but it was also a horrible misrepresentation of the game as a whole. While that may be his thing, it bothers me because of the countless "WOW THIS GAME SURE DOES F***ING SUCK DOESN'T IT!?!" posts that it creates. So many people who deny themselves an actual personal opinion on the game because Yahtzee went ahead and reviewed the first hour of the game and nothing more.

What he's gone and done is told his whole audience that this game is just gathering flowers and killing innocent animals. Didn't mention the 7 different weapons types, the different strategies, the customization, the online play, the co-op play, the event quests that net you unique armors and weapons, the immense boss battles that challenge you in a way that your standard MMORPG could never match up to. It's a game that's far deeper than he may even know. sure, it's simple and repetitive, but god forbid that a game makes you put some effort into getting that next improbably large weapon or shiny piece of armor.

The review would have been just as good if he read the manual and summed the game up from there. He never mentioned what star he was in (and assuming from the ranting he was still in star one of out 6)or the online play (which has double the content of single player). Though I never really took the reviews seriously, I find it very disturbing that he did not bother to play the game more than 3 hours.

Normally I like Yahtzee's rants and "reviews", but this one just seem like a pile of lazy effort. Seems like he got as far as doing one or two quests at the beginning tutorial section and decided to declare that was the whole game. I have to wonder if he actually tried to get to a real fight against the big bads of the game.

I won't say that Monster Hunter isn't a grind-fest at times. I've had to stop fighting the bus-sized things trying to eat me to go harvest herbs and mushrooms to make healing items from time to time, but that is one of the things that I appreciate about the game, too. You are playing a hunter and hunters have to be equipped with survival supplies. The grind isn't even the main part of the game, like his review would suggest. Fighting a beast big enough that it takes up your screen, while fighting it with a massive weapon, is. And it is fun and challenging. Each monster has behaviors that you can watch and understand, and the bosses sometimes require half an hour to defeat.

Better than most games that have you take a few pushes of A to just repeated beat a stupid bot that dies in 2 second, just to beat up his identical cousin shambling right behind him.

And did Yahtzee even pay attention to the plot of the game. The reason the big nasty showed up just for the game to tell you to run away is because that the final boss of the single player section. You aren't supposed to fight it because you don't have the armor and weapon to win. There are many challenging boss monsters to work your way through before you take on the big boss. And no, the game won't randomly toss one of them in before you are ready to fight one, or at least survive running away from something more than an intro-encounter.

Seriously, it is like he picked the game up from the store without even understanding what sort of game is it. How about I go pick up Starcraft and complain that I can't craft stars?

Hammith:
Having not played this monster hunter, but having played most of the others, I can say that Yahtzee is almost certainly 100% correct in this. The games are like Demon's Souls with controls that feel less responsive, enemies that hurt more, insane levels of grinding (much of which involves killing really nasty things that you need the new item to beat at all easily), and long times of trekking across the map to get to the actual bosses.

If you want similar difficulty and skill-based combat, Demon's Souls does everything Monster Hunter does a million times better.

umm, what?

1.the controls probably feel less responsive because you character is swinging around a 2 ton chunk of metal

2. demon souls difficulty is artificial
when a game FORCES you to make a mistake, so you can learn from that mistake in order to progress, its just being a dick, not being difficult

3.you are playing monster hunter wrong, if you are complaining about the combat, long trekking, and enemy difficulty, the game is a HUNTING game, you have to HUNT down your prey, and then take the bastard out using the knowledge you gained by watching what it does in its environment, how it feeds, and how it reacts to attack, the game isnt a hack and slash, and you wont have fun if you play it like one, you have to be the kind of person who is more interested in exploring, studying patterns, and strategizing, than the kind of person who just wants to button mash to victory

MgsTheFury:
Monster Hunter Tri makes a mockery of the hole Monster Hunter series.

inb4 it's too easy/not on PS3. Also excuse me for not liking the whole claw mechanic. In terms of gameplay it's much better than the rest of the series.

I was kind of disappointed that he didn't say anything at all about the big monster fights. I'll admit he did make some good points about the game. Yes it has no business on the Wii, yes the wiimote controls are annoying, and yes.....some third thing. However I don't think you can really give an honest review of the game if you don't even mention the fights with the big epic monsters.

A Typical Zero Punctuation Thread:

1) Average fan watches ZP, is entertained and gathers another opinion about the game being reviewed.

2) More devoted Yahtzee fan's denounce the game in the discussion thread, swearing by the review.

3) Fan's of the game reply in thread stating how Yahtzee Missed the Point/Didn't play the game properly/didn't play the game right/isn't real reviewer/shouldn't be taken seriously. (Delete where appropriate)

4) Groups 2 and 3 begin to argue the toss.

I've yet to see a single ZP thread that didn't follow this to some degree or another. It doesn't really bother me that much I suppose. Except for the ridiculous "isn't a real reviewer" argument. I'd say ZP is as valid as any other review because all a review is, when it boils down to it, is an over glorified opinion of the subject matter and swearing by Yahtzee's reviews is no better (or worse) than swearing by X reviewer.

PS: my r, e, v, i, w keys seem to be indented now. Also while I'm here.

krgskks:

Nfritzappa:
You do realize Yahtzee's "PC gaming master race" imagery was created out of irony?

No I'm taking that very seriously like the rest of the people here.

Stop feeding the troll guys. I thought that was in internet 101.

MgsTheFury:

when did we change the meaning of "mockery" to "is the best one"

and why was it spelled "hole" not "whole"?

I was really hoping that he wouldn't do this game as a review. Don't assume I'm standing up for this game, I was just as disappointed as anyone else, but then again this game was generally a disappointment to all the fans of the series. As to why capcom put it on the wii...well the only reason I can think of it that they thought it was an untapped market. As for the rest of us who were smart enough to try before buying, I'm going to stick with freedom 2, and wait for freedom 3 to come out, and play the good version which is prefect on the psp (though I wish it had better graphics).

As a side note for people wondering why people would play this game in the first place, I'll sum it up for ya, IT'S A CHALLANGE, fighting monsters on your current level can usually end up with you dead quite easily, as in if you can't predict what it's going to do, odds are you dead or getting close to it. As for field gathering, yeah you might have to do it early on, though if you don't suck and upgrade your farm all you have to do is hit that up between missions if you want your desired items.

P.S. I hate yatzhee's ass kissers who seem to get the first posts (wonder why you lifeless computer campers) and take his every word as god. Granted he makes good points, but that doesn't mean you should let it decide if you want to buy a game or not, espically seeing how he's told everyone in his reviews quite a few times that he goes and makes these reviews to point out all of the BAD parts of a game, not the good. Again, go get a freakin' demo before you decide to try the game or not, as I recall gamestops are giving out demo's for this game right now (again, didn't like it), so go try it before you hate on.

Kafloobop:
I was kind of disappointed that he didn't say anything at all about the big monster fights. I'll admit he did make some good points about the game. Yes it has no business on the Wii, yes the wiimote controls are annoying, and yes.....some third thing. However I don't think you can really give an honest review of the game if you don't even mention the fights with the big epic monsters.

no business on wii?

the ENTIRE reason its on the wii is because of business, the console games never sold past 500k worldwide, and the ps3 would have cost them millions in development, and would have been a huge financial loss

so capcom made it for the wii instead, and lookie there, its broke far above a million sales, and it cost them well under their projected cost for ps3, monster hunter was never as profitable on ps2 or pc as it was on wii

so shut yer trap, boy.

I got this game for the PSP and it was worth a few fun times. Getting together with friends to go hunt down and capture a giant rampaging beastie was always a fun choice. Although this is another one of those games that is a lot better multiplayer.

MgsTheFury:

I hope you're not basing that on Yahtzee's review. He didn't even make it to Hunter rank 2 by the sounds of it. There are plenty of games out there that you can stop playing 1 or 2 hours in and never taste the meat of the game. MH Tri is among them.

Otherwise, it's comparatively light on content when you look at MHFU, but on it's own it's a long-lasting game. I'm at 110 hours already and I've beaten single player (not all post-game content though) and am maybe halfway through the online portion. And still enjoying it, too.

Koganesaga:
I was really hoping that he wouldn't do this game as a review. Don't assume I'm standing up for this game, I was just as disappointed as anyone else, but then again this game was generally a disappointment to all the fans of the series. As to why capcom put it on the wii...well the only reason I can think of it that they thought it was an untapped market. As for the rest of us who were smart enough to try before buying, I'm going to stick with freedom 2, and wait for freedom 3 to come out, and play the good version which is prefect on the psp (though I wish it had better graphics).

1. it was cheaper, and more profitable to put MH3 on wii, rather than the ps3

2.why does everyone say this one sucked and they are glad they tried it first? i hope you guys didnt take that demo seriously, because it was just a port of a 2 year old japanese demo, one that was underdeveloped in many many ways, most reviews actually tell you to forget the demo every existed.

I'm wondering how far Yahtzee got in tri? I don't own the game myself(though I own Freedom Unite on the PSP) but when you get higher in rank the difficulty begins to escalate. It escalates more if you're not doing it in co-op because you are on the low end of the weapon/armor components list and fighting the monsters takes preparation and knowing the weak points of the monster you are hunting.

Still, his review is not without some merit. Grinding for some resources is hard and a bore, even more if you don't have a farm like in Freedom. Plus each weapon you pick has a different style of combat, so that factors in to understand each weapon and how to use it effectively without getting completely owned by a monster.

That was almost unnecessarily harsh... I mean, criticizing Wii games is like making fun of a retard. Aren't there any other games coming out in Australia worth criticizing (constructively)?

lol well i personally think the games fucking amazing, but thats just my opinion but I don't understand how you can judge this game and say it's shit when you clearly didn't even get past the 2* quest you know you cheaped out on this one dude :/

tetron:
I got this game for the PSP and it was worth a few fun times. Getting together with friends to go hunt down and capture a giant rampaging beastie was always a fun choice. Although this is another one of those games that is a lot better multiplayer.

this is why yahtzee should not have been reviewing it, its NOT a single player game, its basically an MMO, its SUPPOSED to be played with other people, thats what is FUN about it

but he refuses to play online for some stupid reason, imagine if he reviewed WoW, but said it was shit, because he couldnt even access the single player, it just kept logging him on to the multiplayer. WoW has its own reasons to be shit, but being multiplayer centric is not one of them

Well at least he waited until the near end to insult the console but I still think he should shut his gob and stop saying fanboyish things about the Wii like how it's nonexistence would improve the game industry. For the record, it wouldn't but I'm not in the mood to get into that right now so I'll just say this: pretty much the opinion I expected from Yahtzee about Monster Hunter but that last comment about it being on the Wii, I expect is going to be taken literally by a certain PS3 fanboy I know on YouTube. (And he's already a pretty stupid person as it is)

Jonci:

Seriously, it is like he picked the game up from the store without even understanding what sort of game is it. How about I go pick up Starcraft and complain that I can't craft stars?

Yeah that's basically the opinion I had on his opinions on New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the Extra Punctuation that supplemented it, as well as why I don't want Yahtzee to review Galaxy 2. There are some games or franchises Yahtzee should critique and some where he should just shut his fucking mouth, pretend it doesn't exist and move on.

NickCooley:
A Typical Zero Punctuation Thread:

1) Average fan watches ZP, is entertained and gathers another opinion about the game being reviewed.

2) More devoted Yahtzee fan's denounce the game in the discussion thread, swearing by the review.

3) Fan's of the game reply in thread stating how Yahtzee Missed the Point/Didn't play the game properly/didn't play the game right/isn't real reviewer/shouldn't be taken seriously. (Delete where appropriate)

4) Groups 2 and 3 begin to argue the toss.

I've yet to see a single ZP thread that didn't follow this to some degree or another. It doesn't really bother me that much I suppose. Except for the ridiculous "isn't a real reviewer" argument. I'd say ZP is as valid as any other review because all a review is, when it boils down to it, is an over glorified opinion of the subject matter and swearing by Yahtzee's reviews is no better (or worse) than swearing by X reviewer.

^reason #1 I don't usually post on his review threads. You're probably right.
But I really don't think anyone should take his reviews seriously. He's fabricating the truth in this review. Not to say it's on purpose or anything, but he's taking one part of the game (apparently the only part he even played- the tutorial) and bashing it into the dust and calling the whole thing horrible as a result. In some reviews, he says good things. Yahtzee's not about the good or bad parts of a game. He focuses on the bad usually, but it's whatever makes for a more funny video that goes in. That's why his reviews shouldn't be taken seriously. "Brawl sucks" - obviously not. "Halo blah blah worst FPS ever" - not if you play the right modes. "MH Tri is the worst" - just ask me and my 110 hours' game time. It's a bunch of game bashing and, while it is funny, it isn't accurate. Based on his word, I should never buy a video game ever. Or maybe just Portal. There are few games he actually said much good about, which would lead most people to the conclusion that they aren't worth getting.

Single platform games suck :(, do more multiplatform games please :D, so the review can appeal to more people, the Wii will never be a serious gaming system, and will never have games that are great.. it doesn't have the processing power to do anything useful. I think it goes PC > PS3 > 360 > Wii. I just wish more games were made for the PC.

Woha, this time I don't think yahtzee was a little unfair... What is happening?!

FreaK367:
Single platform games suck :(, do more multiplatform games please :D, so the review can appeal to more people, the Wii will never be a serious gaming system, and will never have games that are great.. it doesn't have the processing power to do anything useful. I think it goes PC > PS3 > 360 > Wii. I just wish more games were made for the PC.

*cough* fanboy *cough*

There are plenty of 'hardcore' games for Wii.

Ewww, I used 'hardcore'...

His review just makes me want the game more

I really don't think Yahtzee played enough of this game to review it. If he did, he'd have a lot more to complain about -- for example, that the characters flex after consuming potions, or that he has no indicator of how well he's doing against a monster, or any of a myriad of other things folks who are new to Monster Hunter complain about.

It almost sounds like he hasn't even taken out anything significantly bigger than himself. He said nothing of the game's difficulty (and, yes, it is a difficult game (I'm still playing the PSP version -- 250 hours SOLO, and I still haven't seen everything)). I think he fell prey to his deadline. Had he reviewed something else, and taken stabs at monster hunting for a few weeks; I think his review would be markedly different, and he could have gotten to the game's more substantial flaws as opposed to the superficial stuff.

I mean no disrespect, but this review reeks of a lack of effort. Yahtzee, you can do better. At the very least, take down a big one before you review it.

FreaK367:

Another one? Really?

Daystar Clarion:

FreaK367:

*cough* fanboy *cough*

There are plenty of 'hardcore' games for Wii.

Ewww, I used 'hardcore'...

I hate that word as well.

Blue-State:
I know it's silly to expect Yahtzee to give a positive review, but I was genuinely disappointed that he couldn't find anything actually GOOD to say about this game. Was actually surprised to learn this is a Japanese game, considering those promotions

I can't remember the term but businesses change their marketing strategy depended on the nation.
For example "100% Irish beef" in a McDonalds restaurant in Ireland.

ChrowX:
See, I can understand Yahtzee's gripes about this game and I can see where he's coming from, but these kind of reviews take the hardcore fandom stick and cram it so far up my ass that I start gagging on it.

I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and this one actually made me giggle a few times because it was genuinely funny, but it was also a horrible misrepresentation of the game as a whole. While that may be his thing, it bothers me because of the countless "WOW THIS GAME SURE DOES F***ING SUCK DOESN'T IT!?!" posts that it creates. So many people who deny themselves an actual personal opinion on the game because Yahtzee went ahead and reviewed the first hour of the game and nothing more.

What he's gone and done is told his whole audience that this game is just gathering flowers and killing innocent animals. Didn't mention the 7 different weapons types, the different strategies, the customization, the online play, the co-op play, the event quests that net you unique armors and weapons, the immense boss battles that challenge you in a way that your standard MMORPG could never match up to. It's a game that's far deeper than he may even know. sure, it's simple and repetitive, but god forbid that a game makes you put some effort into getting that next improbably large weapon or shiny piece of armor.

Yahtzee's reviews aren't meant to be seriously by the way although there is always a ring of (exaggerated) truth to them.
Also he has to review a new game every week so it would be very hard for him to really get into a game like this.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
I bought a Monster Hunter game once and I can relate to a lot of what you say, particularly the later part of the review. And why the hell would anyone think it was a good idea on the Wii? Surely a game involving enormous monsters and cinematic fights should be nowhere near a processor that minute...

The load times he is talking about, appear in every Monster Hunter game. It has nothing to do with the Wii, and has everything to do with the fact that the game has always been that way on every system it has been produced for.

As for the review... the first few minutes were useless filler, it didn't seem like he had much to say about this game (it also doesn't seem like he played much of it either) once he got to the meat of his review. He was just trying to be 'funny' (At least, I think that's what he was attempting). Once he did, he had to drag out the age old 'this game is the sum of every MMO's bedraggled parts'... seriously? When a game is being played offline and single player, aren't most people going to think that? Especially when it's not a game that is supposed to be constant fighting, puzzle solving, or shooting game?

Truly a review where he seemed desperate for fodder... and not good fodder, but the same rehashed crap he has been spewing every time an RPG or slower-paced game has surfaced.

MasterRahl:
Oh man, I was so excited when I saw that Yahtzee reviewed this game. I saw it a few months before it came out, had mixed feelings about it for a while, and then just realized that this could be one of the worse games ever for the wii. (Given that it competes w/ the conduit for the title)

It's funny watching Yahtzee review Wii games. The last few that he did was surprisingly optimistic, and then he finds a game that can make a gorilla stick his head up his butt just to escape the putridity. I'm still enjoying the good games that came out for the Wii, such as Okami, House of the Dead: Overkill, Twilight Princess and others. The Wii needs to go back to it's quality stamp that it was doing for the 64 so that a lot of these games can just be ignored.

Okami was a horrible port for the Wii, it was good on the PS2 (where MH originally started... do you see a trend here?).

If you had mixed feelings about the game, then clearly it isn't going to be one of the 'worst games ever for the Wii'. In fact, since it makes the option available to use either the controller of Wii-mote (it doesn't work for every single game. People need to get over this, and understand that such a thing can kill a game) I'd say other games should note that and follow suite.

I really don't understand why so many people listen to Yahtzee, and can't make a decision for their selves. Of course when you point out all the negatives, or things the majority of players don't seem to like, it's harder for them to find the stuff they will/might enjoy about a title.
But he's paid for his negativity. It makes it easier for him to spout it.
I hope most people aren't taking it/him seriously and are agreeing so that they appear 'badass' to their internet groupies.

hcig:

Koganesaga:

1. it was cheaper, and more profitable to put MH3 on wii, rather than the ps3

2.why does everyone say this one sucked and they are glad they tried it first? i hope you guys didnt take that demo seriously, because it was just a port of a 2 year old japanese demo, one that was underdeveloped in many many ways, most reviews actually tell you to forget the demo every existed.

Damn, I dunno, As I did like the game until I played the demo who knows, maybe I should buy the game and see how it goes, course I play freedom 2 on ad-hoc party (A free service the ps3 offers to allow you to play psp games online if they only support ad-hoc) and everyone who plays freedom seem to be disappointed by tri, and some of them mention that they only people who play it are 10 year olds and mention serious communication problems. This really doesn't add to the temptation to play the game, despite how well the game is rendered.

Side note: for anyone who does like it, monster hunter G for the wii seems to be already underway. Course I might be confusing the information as I didn't look into it, for my primary object was finding more about freedom 3.

Melcadrien:
I'm wondering how far Yahtzee got in tri? I don't own the game myself(though I own Freedom Unite on the PSP) but when you get higher in rank the difficulty begins to escalate. It escalates more if you're not doing it in co-op because you are on the low end of the weapon/armor components list and fighting the monsters takes preparation and knowing the weak points of the monster you are hunting.

Still, his review is not without some merit. Grinding for some resources is hard and a bore, even more if you don't have a farm like in Freedom. Plus each weapon you pick has a different style of combat, so that factors in to understand each weapon and how to use it effectively without getting completely owned by a monster.

I like how the do the weapons, because of the system it encourages you to try different methods of attacking a monster and makes you get a nice diverse variety of wepaons for different situations.

However I didn't drag you into this rebuttle to question your post, rather to agree with a part. Yatzhee stated in a few of his reviews he usually plays the game for around the week, and this is shared with other things he does as well as the fect he has to produce the review, so an off hand guess without and real math behind it, I'd say he plays the games for a max of around 20 hours on average (for you hardcore yatzhee fans who might know more about this feel free to correct me, but unless it's an old game this is usually the situation) therefore probably shouldn't be reviewing the games with a high level of required play time, like demon's souls or monster hunter, as both are great games if you can climb the admittedly very steep learning curve and stand atop the mountain. Once you're up there you can see all the great thi8ngs the games have to offer, and sadly, yatzhee probably only gets to climb about half way with many of the longer games and therefore gets cheated. of course there's also a strong chance he just doesn't like it and that's just him.

I honestly hadn't thought about this game until now, but I do remember the ads that came out that made it seem very interesting.

Repetitiveness can be a big turn off for a game and I never purchase a game unless the replay value is at least moderate. This isn't really the type of game I usually play anyway, so chances are that I wouldn't have even tested it. I very much enjoyed the review though, especially the Deer Hunter line xD.

I hope you review Alan Wake soon. It gave me a bit of a Silent Hill feel, so I'm thinking you'll enjoy the game a little bit at least.

It doesn't sound like he even got to the actual monster hunting part of the game :/

Been a fan of this series since the first one and after about 5 hours(at the most, maybe a bit longer for new players) of the piddly quests you should be fighting the actual monsters, rather than doing the hunting small animals and gathering quests. He also seemed to think the free roam part was where the meat of the game was, when it isn't. The old games didn't even have those (they had timed gathering quests with no objectives though, which is similar).

I don't think he played long enough. Don't be persuaded that this is a bad game, it just needs some time to learn the controls and start taking on the baddies.

Eventidal:
Lol he makes it sound so horrible. Poor Yahtzee didn't even make it to the good part of the game, though I don't blame him. It about a good 5 hours in that you actually get to fight anything worth its own salt. Until then, it's a hell of a grind, learning the ins and outs that become integral and second-nature later.

I hate to say it, but I must dismiss this review entirely. Yahtzee has missed the whole point of the game, of which he touched on in such a minor way when the "giant sea monster" came and attacked him. Nobody plays to hunt tiny wimpy monsters and carve up innocent little critters. It's all about the massive monster fights that make you feel so good after finishing.

I was hoping to hear Yahtzee's take on that (pretty much the reason we play this game) side of MH, but it seems he never made it far enough...

And now I can't help but wonder if he's done this with other games, too. Completely missing the point because he can't stand the tutorial.

Actually, you can run through to your first Great Jaggi fight in about an hour, and for a newbie to the series, he's actually a decent opponent, even if he's a 10 HKO later.

Anyway, on to my annoyance: People who claim that the only people commenting that don't like the review are fanboys of the game. Yeah, I like the game. But honestly, would you consider me a fanboy? Have I been unreasonable? Have I posited the game has no flaws? Have I refused to acknowledge the game is slow starting, even if only for an hour? Have I denied that there is any grinding? Have I done anything *but* make reasonable comments that basically say "I find the game fun, and it has flaws that could have easily been pointed out, but Yahtzee clearly didn't play long enough to get to the meat of the game" and point out to others who are just saying "Yahtzee's review makes this game seem like shit" that Yahtzee didn't even mention the monster hunting part of monster hunter?

I dunno, maybe I'm just a fanboy and I can't tell it, but I thought I was being far more reasonable than the average poster, despite defending the game.

Ok Yahtzee we get it, you hate the Wii. To use your words, stop flogging that pile of bloody jibblets that used to be a dead horse.
Incidentally, why are you reviewing so many Wii games?

RIDICULOUS.
You'd never use a metal armor to gather, as leather armor has +2 gather native, upgradeable with +2 stones.

I bought this game, and I've really tried to get to love it, but it's resisting too much, I'm at a point where I can't complete a mission, and I just can't be arsed to do the effort, not when it feels like I could be spending my time doing other stuff, and the controls are horrible with the wii.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here