Zero Punctuation: Alan Wake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Yahtzee's reviews get increasingly confusing to follow. Maybe that's just me. But he got the point across that the game is about as tedious as it looks, and that there is no greater surprise waiting to pique the player's interest.

You pretty much nailed my thoughts on it. Good atmosphere, nifty moments, overall meh.

Soooo... it's Luigi's Mansion set in a forest.

Got it.

EDIT: Sorry if I bumped an old thread but I'm viewing this thread as more of a comments section of an article and less as a forum thread.

Alan Wake isn't a bad game, but Yahtzee is right about it being too easy, as well as about the strange plot points. The game does keep returning again and again to haunted forests at night, and atmospheric as those sections are, a little more variety would have been nice. And indeed, the part where they somehow don't realise there's something wrong with the waitress girl even though her behavior is totally different than before was retarded, and the part where they decide to get drunk and pass out in a house surrounded by murderous shadow monsters made even less sense.
I also didn't like the ending much.
But as I said, all in all it's not a bad game, I might even do a second playthrough on Hard difficulty some day.

dekuben:
Wow, the combat mechanics sound like horeshit, i'll have to buy this game to see how piss poor they were.

After recently completing the game it seems that he was overly harsh on the game. It's enjoyable and very interesting, you get access to a nice range of weapons and the combat itself is fairly well done.

Antiparticle:
Alan Wake isn't a bad game, but Yahtzee is right about it being too easy, as well as about the strange plot points. The game does keep returning again and again to haunted forests at night, and atmospheric as those sections are, a little more variety would have been nice. And indeed, the part where they somehow don't realise there's something wrong with the waitress girl even though her behavior is totally different than before was retarded, and the part where they decide to get drunk and pass out in a house surrounded by murderous shadow monsters made even less sense.
I also didn't like the ending much.
But as I said, all in all it's not a bad game, I might even do a second playthrough on Hard difficulty some day.

Yeah I wasn't particularly pleased with the ending either, it could have been rounded off quite nicely but it seems the developers were wanting to creating an opening for a future sequel.

Phoenixlight:
Yeah I wasn't particularly pleased with the ending either, it could have been rounded off quite nicely but it seems the developers were wanting to creating an opening for a future sequel.

Yeah, it was a very open ending, noone really died and nothing really got resolved.. And you're right, they did that for a reason, not so much for a sequel but rather DLC... there's multiple downloadable episodes for Alan Wake coming. For a price, of course... At least the first one's free, for original buyers of the game anyway. It's coming July 27th.

Phoenixlight:

dekuben:
Wow, the combat mechanics sound like horeshit, i'll have to buy this game to see how piss poor they were.

After recently completing the game it seems that he was overly harsh on the game. It's enjoyable and very interesting, you get access to a nice range of weapons and the combat itself is fairly well done.

Thanks for the heads up <3

I finally got around to finishing Allen Wake. 6 Episodes in total with an autosave at the beginning of each chapter and bright light you stumble into and a flowing narrative make for a great game. Yahtzee was spot on about the screepy fish-people animations and voice-overs, but the hectic gameplay of being completely defenseless is fun as hell as far as I'm concerned.

For those of you who take Yahtzee's reviews as reasons not to buy games: You don't know the real meaning of a review. He's a critic. It's his job to point out flaws game-makers forget to fix in beta.

I rented Allen Wake. Half-way through I bought it because I knew I wanted to finish it and replay it on Nightmare with only the beginning flashlight.

The combat thing is ripped straight from Obscure...if anyone has heard of that game for the ps2...you use flashlights to make the dark aura dissipate from around the creatures then just wail on it until it dies...

"like an indecisive hitman / optician" rofl. Isn't this game from the same guys who did Max Payne, which despite the name was thoroughly enjoyable?

having gotten about half way through this game before stopping this is what I have to say: when your main character is the most likable and interesting by process of elimination you have problems. And even then he isn't beyond stupidity like with the aforementioned sleeping pill incident. The editor is annoying, the FBI agent is an uninteresting, intolerable douchebag, the kidnapper sub-plot is just killing time, and quite frankly it's not even all that scary. Looks like horror games in general have a long way to go before they can be frightening again. Maybe the worst thing this game did was try to model itself after TV. There's a difference between taking inspiration from something and then being two steps away from plagiarism.

I'm from Finland, so I'm automatically pissed at you for this review.

If you take a review as a reason not to buy a game, you should think about it for a second. Critics point out the flaws in a game, the question is are you able to look past those flaws, and focus on the good parts of a game (which the critics, especially yahtzee, do not mention most of the time).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here