Preview: Medal of Honor Beta Hands On

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

matrix3509:
Godamnit, we get it already. It looks like Bad Company 2. WE KNOW. If you don't have anything else to add please shut the fuck up.

It's still the most pertinent observation. This just looks like a hybrid of MW and BFBC2. I can't see ANYTHING there that sets it apart - what else is there to comment on? There's not even been enough time since MW2 let alone BC2 to warrant yet another straight-forward modern multiplayer-centric FPS.

In short, that video was bleh. Nothing new, nothing exiting, just a shameless re-hash of the most recent popular shooter.

Mcface:
So upset DICE got to work on it. It looks like a BC2 clone shot for shot.

Also, why would the Taliban have air strikes and mortar strikes to that degree? If it's going to be genuine, the Taliban need to have a terrain advantage, and no support. But of course DICE will just reskin them, give them AK's and call it a day. I loved BC2 Multiplayer. But I don't want another one so soon.

Also, those are supposed to be US Army Rangers? They are wearing US Marine camouflage. Army wears ACU Digital.

And is that Taliban guy using a copy and paste MG emplacement from BC2? Pretty sure the Taliban don't have any heavy machine guns with armored shields and bullet proof glass.

quite simply the reason for the lack of realism there is that if they copied the taliban in actuality. The taliban would have all of 5 weapons, no vehicle support, and pretty get their asses kicked. I think the developers just decided that gameplay was more important than realism (wish mw2 took note of that sometime)

Looks like another BC2

I judge an FPS game by how well designed the viewmodels on the weapons look (You may laugh, but it works surprisingly well). Considering that they look just as much like duplo blocks as bad company 2, you're at a terrible start. Iron/optical sights (if the game uses them) also are an excellent indicator, and these ones look like shite.

Pebsy:

Mcface:
So upset DICE got to work on it. It looks like a BC2 clone shot for shot.

Also, why would the Taliban have air strikes and mortar strikes to that degree? If it's going to be genuine, the Taliban need to have a terrain advantage, and no support. But of course DICE will just reskin them, give them AK's and call it a day. I loved BC2 Multiplayer. But I don't want another one so soon.

Also, those are supposed to be US Army Rangers? They are wearing US Marine camouflage. Army wears ACU Digital.

And is that Taliban guy using a copy and paste MG emplacement from BC2? Pretty sure the Taliban don't have any heavy machine guns with armored shields and bullet proof glass.

quite simply the reason for the lack of realism there is that if they copied the taliban in actuality. The taliban would have all of 5 weapons, no vehicle support, and pretty get their asses kicked. I think the developers just decided that gameplay was more important than realism (wish mw2 took note of that sometime)

You can make it balanced without that junk.
Giving everyone the same weapons with different skins is a cop out.

Taliban are going to be defending. They have that advantage already, they are sitting in wait. They can have IEDs, AP mines, RPGs, grenades, grenade launchers etc.

Americans are attacking, they get an armored vehicle. But they are fighting uphill, or into a town packed with places someone would ambush them from.

it looks cool but having to take out aa is the dry hump of military quests, not an air force in the world is really that worried about aa, I mean we have air craft that specialize in taking sam sights, in desert storm we had the wild weasel variant of the f4 phantom knocking down so many sam sights that the operators were worried about even turning on the radar

FallenJellyDoughnut:
To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.

Agreed. Did you see the bandoleer after the character death? Looked like it was strapped to a brick.

Don't reply with that beta-shmeta bs. This is BFBC2 in the desert. Could've been DLC just like every Madden since 07.

Honestly, this just like BF2, I didnt see anything different.

.... So it's BC2?

I've been messing with the beta and it just isn't anything special.

Disregarding bugs and lag, because of the beta, it doesn't do anything that is quite good.

Gun play is generic and there is a serious lack of recoil. I could only get the light machine guns to spread in any significant way, and that was only when firing long bursts from the hip.

A lot of time you can get spawn camped and pinned by snipers. The killstreak system is pretty poor, as the killstreaks are very powerful and will lead to a team securing momentum. Also, most of the defensive killstreaks are pretty weak, with the UAV scan being the only notable buff.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the map size. In the objective based missions it always felt like you were up against the no mans land where you are killed if you stay too long. This sucks when you have to defend an objective and it allows the attackers to just camp your spawn.

Additionally, the unlock list is small and not very satisfying. During the beta I managed to get most of the unlocks, even capping out the sniper tree (Sans the last unlock which was basically locked for the beta). The variance between the rifleman and special ops trees isn't much, with the main difference being if you wanted to use the light machine gun (Which is pretty strong) or the shotgun (Pretty bad) respectively. Still, the two starting guns are excellent weapons regardless of the situation. I kind of felt like I maxed the sniper unlocks first because I had split time between the rifleman and spec ops classes, mostly due to the similarities.

I don't know, to me it just seems like a very generic and underwhelming shooter. I would pay maybe 20 bucks maybe to try the singleplayer and to give the multiplayer the benefit of the doubt because I just tried it during beta.

This review sounded a lot like "It's good 'cause it's good." I'd like some actual info on the gameplay mechanics that you said you focused on.

FYI, the first Medal of Honor came out in 1999.

I'm excited for this game, but only because I really want to see what they've done with the graphics engine and AI. I remember the original MoH being very good with these two aspects (everything else made me vomit bile, but i won't get into that here) and I hope they keep the high production values in this newest installment.

MoH always had a more 'solid' games engine compared to any of it's rivals (who you mentioned in the preview), and felt much more fun and inolving to play (even if it lacked other elements to make it a great game, such as story etc). I feel that if it wasn't for CoD:MW and the ilk then this could have been a game people who rave about for years to come. As it stands, people feel it's a copy/paste middle-east shooter, or as the less imaginative would call it, MoH:MW.

Haven't played it myself, but apparently a player said that it "Feels like BC2 and looks like MW2". Since everyone else is doing it, to ME it looks like BC2 cross with Combat Arms :D

It is, of course, completely unnecessary , it just doesn't look unique enough to be worth buying in anyway. It's very rarely I want to buy a game just for "More of the same". Sorry Medal of Honor you just came in to late with not enough :( (It's OK MOH, I still loved Allied Assault, and if you can get as many mod's going as it, hell i might just buy you :D )

I haven't even check to see if this is on PSN yet, so I'll look for it today.

So far, which is everyone here planning to buy: CoD: Black Ops, or this new Medal of Honor?

This new MoH looks really cool, but I have BC2, so I don't think it'd be worth paying full price.

TundraWolf:

Secondly, it's interesting that Steve decided to mention the issue of the political content. We hear all manner of praise for games like Modern Warfare and the like, but the political ramifications and commentary voiced by such games is never really discussed. It's only when games like Six Days In Fallujah come to light that people start to talk about it, and it's usually to decry the issue as anti-patriotic and brand it as taboo.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure such a comment was needed for the multiplayer content. I mean, you obvious that it gave you pause for a moment or two and you felt it important enough to mention, I just don't know if doing so in regards to the multiplayer was the way to go. It doesn't seem like it would give people any more pause than playing the Axis side in WWII-based games, or playing the Militia side in MW2. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on the topic are after the single-player is released, though.

My two cents.

Like I said, the developers don't make much of the political dimension in multiplayer. It's just an extra detail in the background. Given that developers of these games are intentionally using current military operations to enhance the relevance of their games, it's not only a fair topic for discussion, but an essential one. That's not an excuse for me to say I'm for or against the War itself, but I think I am required to comment on its use (some would say "exploitation") as a setting for our entertainment. As far as Six Days goes, I don't think we have a right to call someone unpatriotic based solely on the games they create or play, but we do have an obligation to explore the varying sensitivities that the gaming community and the culture at large have to these issues.

I felt inclined to lay out the basic facts and express my own reaction in what I hope was a non-judgmental manner. It may not be a big part of the game, but it is a part, and one worthy of discussion.

FallenJellyDoughnut:
To be honest it looks like a low quality Bad Company 2 with less features.

Even all the animations are the same. Look at the way the gun wobbles when he's walking. Exactly the same in BBC2. Red Dot Sight looks exactly the same. Reload animations are exactly the same. Game modes very similar. DICE didn't even try to make MOH different from BBC2.

Sounds exactly like Bad Company 2 to me.

Steve Butts:
sniiiip

Just thought I'd mention that you're calling MoH Frontline the first Medal of Honour game, when It's the 4th. First one came out in 1999.

I have but one question, Will I be able to use an SA80?

I really want to want this game, but so far I can't help but agree with other people, it looks same old same old. I want more shooters sure, but i'd like to see designers imaginations go to work.

Demon ID:

I really want to want this game, but so far I can't help but agree with other people, it looks same old same old. I want more shooters sure, but i'd like to see designers imaginations go to work.

There were twelve primary weapons in the beta.

M4 - Remington 870
M16 - M249
M14 - M24

AK74U - TOZ 194
AK47 - PKM
Dragunov SVD - SV98

And then there were two pistols, grenades, C4/IEDs, Bradley Assault vehicles, fixed machine guns, and anti tank weapons.

Percutio:

Demon ID:

There were twelve primary weapons in the beta.

M4 - Remington 870
M16 - M249
M14 - M24

AK74U - TOZ 194
AK47 - PKM
Dragunov SVD - SV98

And then there were two pistols, grenades, C4/IEDs, Bradley Assault vehicles, fixed machine guns, and anti tank weapons.

just for the fact I heard coalition repeatedly mentioned I'm going to hold out hope we get more than just American/Russian weapons.

I seriously doubt it. Even the single player is supposed to focus on Army Rangers.

:/

Also the weapons are just weapons for the two teams. They seem to be carbon copies IMO.

Jesus Christ, at least try to do something different... this is merely an addon for BC2!

RobCoxxy:
A modern day FPS made by EA and Dice.

Swear that came out earlier this year... :P That AK-74su model looks remarkably similair to BC2's as well.

Ah, who cares?

Same engine, it has. Kinda. I think it is BC1's engine.

D'oh! When I said first Medal of Honor, I meant the first one for the PC, MOH: Allied Assault

Steve Butts:

TundraWolf:

Secondly, it's interesting that Steve decided to mention the issue of the political content. We hear all manner of praise for games like Modern Warfare and the like, but the political ramifications and commentary voiced by such games is never really discussed. It's only when games like Six Days In Fallujah come to light that people start to talk about it, and it's usually to decry the issue as anti-patriotic and brand it as taboo.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure such a comment was needed for the multiplayer content. I mean, you obvious that it gave you pause for a moment or two and you felt it important enough to mention, I just don't know if doing so in regards to the multiplayer was the way to go. It doesn't seem like it would give people any more pause than playing the Axis side in WWII-based games, or playing the Militia side in MW2. I'd be interested to see what your thoughts on the topic are after the single-player is released, though.

My two cents.

Like I said, the developers don't make much of the political dimension in multiplayer. It's just an extra detail in the background. Given that developers of these games are intentionally using current military operations to enhance the relevance of their games, it's not only a fair topic for discussion, but an essential one. That's not an excuse for me to say I'm for or against the War itself, but I think I am required to comment on its use (some would say "exploitation") as a setting for our entertainment. As far as Six Days goes, I don't think we have a right to call someone unpatriotic based solely on the games they create or play, but we do have an obligation to explore the varying sensitivities that the gaming community and the culture at large have to these issues.

I felt inclined to lay out the basic facts and express my own reaction in what I hope was a non-judgmental manner. It may not be a big part of the game, but it is a part, and one worthy of discussion.

I have to agree with you in this regard, as you raise valid points. I believe that we're on the same page when it comes to how developers are treating the current war as a setting for video games. I guess my problem with the reason you mentioned this is that other reviewers haven't even remotely mentioned this as something to consider, with this game or others. I don't think it's wrong for you to bring it up; quite the contrary. I commend you for speaking your mind on a matter that you clearly feel is something important to discuss. However, what I don't feel is fair is how this game has been picked out of all these other games for this matter to be talked about.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, more-so than other games, both have large components of the game where you are fighting people in the Middle-East, yet I have seen little to no discussion on the commentary that they have put into their games. Likewise for games like Full Spectrum Warrior and the like. This could just be because I haven't looked in the right spots, but to single out Medal of Honor as a game deserving of such commentary without talking about other games doesn't seem fair.

Of course, perhaps you've come to the same conclusions as I. Perhaps you think that now is the time for such discussion to happen and for people to pay attention to such matters. If that is the case, then I commend you once again, because it seems no one else seems ready to tackle the issue. So kudos to you all around.

All things told, I'm looking forward to this game and to seeing what their take on the conflict overseas is like. Cheers for the review of the beta!

Someone may have already pointed this out, but the Normandy level wasn't in the first Medal Of Honour, the first two games were PS1 exclusives (MOH and MOH: Underground), the D-Day Omaha beach levels didn't appear until MOH: Allied Assault on the PC and MOH: Frontline on the PS2.

Steve Butts:
D'oh! When I said first Medal of Honor, I meant the first one for the PC, MOH: Allied Assault

I figured as much, given that Allied Assault pretty much re-established that craze for World War II.

Also, if i remember correctly, when EA decided to drop the World War II to move on to Vietnam with Medal of Valor, a few of the major people that worked on Allied Assault joined up with Infinity Ward, and we all know the history from there.

For those people saying it's going to be a Bad Company 2 ripoff, you may be right at first glance, because DICE are the ones developing the multiplayer for this game. It is a beta, however, so you may want to hold off on the pitchforks and torches.

Like many others, I also don't get it. Why produce such an obviously derivative game in an already saturated genre? To paraphrase Yahtzee from his God of War 3 review, I don't see any reason for this game to exist.

Well, I'm open to being proven wrong when it comes out...

meh I am gonna give it a pass.

ModusPwnens:
Like many others, I also don't get it. Why produce such an obviously derivative game in an already saturated genre? To paraphrase Yahtzee from his God of War 3 review, I don't see any reason for this game to exist.

Well, I'm open to being proven wrong when it comes out...

because it is easy to make and they know people are going to buy it. While this game might end up generic there other FPS games that are not

This looks too similar to Bad Company 2. Meh, I'm getting rather tired of generic realistic shooters.

Asehujiko:
This is different from BFBC2 how exactly?

Even the way the running and shooting was animated looked exactly the same, also did you see the mortar strike. They are reviving the Medal of Honour brand but sticking it on a re-skinned BFBC2 which is just ridiculous. Not that I think anyone will be buying it in Australia anyway, stupid dice/whoever's fault it really was turning of our servers.

Well I hope they use insurgent type of vehicles like a pick up truck with a mounted MG on the back and a mounted LMG in the front windsheild. or Gimme some of those and I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

dedicated servers? or lag prone player hosting? depending on the answer i'll either buy it or not.

refuses to play an FPS in lag!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or