Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

I don't get whats with all the first time posters laying down harsh criticism. Relax, it's not like you paid to see it!

I really liked this song, but then I watch Rebecca's vids because it's nice to hear an alternative voice presented in a quirky style.

I liked the music, I got that it was a tribute straight away, and found it entertaining.

What more can you ask for?

BlueInkAlchemist:
The truth, as they say, is usually somewhere in the middle. I'm as guilty of letting my opinion get the better of my judgement as the next human being, but in this case it seems that some have taken this forum to be the place to have their viewpoints slug it out.

Big Long Snip of a bunch of stuff that while relevant, is available on the previous page.

At least when Miss Mayes makes an effort to communicate, in my opinion, the noise is somewhat musical.

You know, in retrospect, you're entirely right, my friend. The hypocricy was unintentional, but after a good night's sleep rather than a tiring and irritating day at work, even I can see it.

He refused to budge about his rudeness and insults, and instead focused on secondary issues, and I actually went along. Ultimately, sadly, I let my frustration get the better of me and reduced myself to his level. (An adage about wrestling with pigs comes to mind.) At this juncture, I have to believe that continuing this conversation will have the same result: accomplishing nothing but providing me with more opportunities to get irritated and subsequently repeat the behavoir I'm condemning.

I'm done with this thread. El pup and Xavier get to join the charter club on my ignore list, because I'm certain that one or both will just continue in the same vein that they have in every other post: their position is somehow unassailable, and rather than admitting any possible error, giving any ground, conceding any points, or acknowledging when they were explicitly proven wrong, they instead either focus on elements of the conversation they feel they can 'win' or use verbal misdirection by misrepresenting statements or providing irrelevant information...

And you know what? Those types of people aren't interested in having a real discussion, they're only interested in having people agree with them and shouting down those who don't. Sad, but true. I try very hard to not put people on /ignore, but I think it's been rather thoroughly proven that El pup fits that mold, and I see no reason that will not continue, since he hasn't given any ground on any subject to this point. (I dunno, maybe he admitted that he was wrong about his counting: I can't see his posts anymore. My guess is that he instead made an excuse or shifted the focus away from his statement.) Shame on me for not realizing this earlier, like when I noticed that he changed all his profile information, I suppose in 'ironic' response to what Rebecca said about him (although I fail to see what removing his DoB accomplished).

Interesting incidental side-bar, Blue: this is the ironic 'pro' to the RealID 'con' you mentioned- I have to wonder if El pup would've been nearly as insulting as he was to Ms. Mayes had he been forced to be honest about his personal information. I do agree with you, however, that generally it's a bad idea. Not necessarily because the possibility of violence (my experience has always been that people will talk big, but never actually follow through), more because of the chilling effect it would have on females. Stalking would be a much more frightening- and I think likely- outcome of it.

But I digress: Anyway, somebody tell El pup that at least his filibuster worked, since I'm not backing off my stance any. I'm sure he'll declare himself the 'victor' anyway. One last canard, however: tell him to use a spell-check, for god's sake. He can act intellectual all he wants, but it really makes him look like a high-school student when his arguments are positively riddled with glaring spelling errors. (and yes, I know, that was perhaps a little petty of me... and a perfect example of why I'm ceasing to participate.)

Cheers.

Broccoli? XD

What the fuck was that

solidstatemind:
[

Interesting incidental side-bar, Blue: this is the ironic 'pro' to the RealID 'con' you mentioned- I have to wonder if El pup would've been nearly as insulting as he was to Ms. Mayes had he been forced to be honest about his personal information. I do agree with you, however, that generally it's a bad idea. Not necessarily because the possibility of violence (my experience has always been that people will talk big, but never actually follow through), more because of the chilling effect it would have on females. Stalking would be a much more frightening- and I think likely- outcome of it.

Nope, would of said the same thing.

This was the first Rebecca Mayes Muses that I watched...and I give her props for originality. Good job on the song...and the dancing wasn't half bad. An entertaining 3 1/2 minutes anyhow.

Whispering Death:

Blayze2k:

Whispering Death:
Yeah... a musician should never straty too far away from his/her genre or this is what happens.

It's like a mage in an RPG deciding to use a bow and arrow. The results dissapoint.

I couldn't disagree more.
A musician who doesn't diversify, stagnates.

Really? You think Tool would put out a great country album? Public Enemy a great technical math metal album. Madonna a concerto?

Great musicians work their talents in a particular area, if I may draw a somewhat lame gaming analogy, putting their skill points into the technical requirements of songwriting required by the genre.

For example, Rebecca Mayes creates simple melodies with a guitar. That's what she's practiced. This song was somewhat anti-melodic and is based on layering tracks on top of eachother to crechendo into a peak and then end with a denouement. Songwriting like this requires skills more analogous to certain styles of techno or trance than those of soft rock.

So when someone without those requisite skills tries to make a song of a genre the songwriter is ill equipped to succeed and, as we see with this example, fails.

It's funny that you use Tool as an example, because progressive music is all ABOUT utilizing elements outside your standard genre.
I'm not necessarily saying that it would be GOOD if Public Enemy made a math metal album, or Modonna wrote a concerto, but it would expand their work and improve their ability to create interesting music.

Besides, much of the best music in the world defies genre boundaries.

RPG analogies are useless in this conversation, frankly. Characters in RPG's are frequently railroaded into stereotypes in order to be effective, but INTERESTING characters usually are not archetypal.

newfiegirl 110:
This was the first Rebecca Mayes Muses that I watched...and I give her props for originality. Good job on the song...and the dancing wasn't half bad. An entertaining 3 1/2 minutes anyhow.

I suggest you to watch (if you haven't) some of her other songs too, some of them are very good. I personally like the Resident Evil 5, Batman AA and Silent Hill Shattered Memories the most. Watch the ones of games that you know so you can relate to them so there's a bigger chance you like them.

I hope for her next song to the best in a while.

Whispering Death:
Really? You think Tool would put out a great country album? Public Enemy a great technical math metal album. Madonna a concerto?

Rebecca Mayes didn't make a Icelandic album just a song as Public Enemy did Bring the noise with Anthrax (or viceversa) and Madonna is one of the most multifaceted artists of the past decades, she didn't stayed on Like a Virgin, she has made Hip Hop, Electronic, Balads.

I'm not saying this is one of her best videos (or her worse) but I don't agree with saying a musician shouldn't experiment.

Rebecca Mayes:

Dear El Pup,
etc.

Well, for starters... you can look at my avatar and figure out why I clicked this link. A little while into the song, I stopped listening. I didn't really want to hear anymore (and I REALLY didn't like the visuals), but I was curious about what language it was... so I hit up this thread in search of an answer. That's when I came across much entertainment... though, that got tedious towards the end.

But along the way, I read the post that is quoted above. There is something about the way you relay your words that just irks me. I'm not even certain what it is, but it annoys me. To but it as frank and redneck as I can...

"I dun like da way you talk."

That is all.

It was different in some ways from her normal music, which is good because I think her songs often have a sameness to them, but I can't take this style of music... It reminds me a lot of Bjork, who is very talented, but I personally don't like her. I watched the New Order "True Faith" video. I'm so glad that was posted, because that video is incredible! I love that song.

Ne1butme:

RanD00M:

Ne1butme:
Sounds like Rebecca is channeling Sigur Ros.

Good choice if i might say so myself.

I found it to be more Bjrk than Sigur Rs.And I dislike both.

Fairly lacking to the other songs.While the lyrics were interesting,and the singing was good.But the music din't cut it for me.

You dislike Sigur Ros? I have a great swell of pity for you. I'm sorry, i'm really very sorry.

To credit, Sigur Ros is a very acquired taste, and I find that I have to be in a very specific mood to listen to that. Plus, music is subjective, etc.

That said, there's been some fucking harsh-as criticisms here, and that's just page one of five! Okay, fine, some of you anonymous little gobshites might not like it for personal taste reasons, but it's no excuse to act like a dick about it - John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory all aside.

Perhaps instead of harshing like the talentless hacks you are, why not show you're better and actually create something of value in the world?

Edit:

Rebecca Mayes:
[quote="El pup" post="6.210103.7113772"]Lots and Lots of Words

Hey, Rebecca? I wouldn't be too concerned about El Pup. I mean, I know how much a few harsh words - especially when written with very decent spelling and grammar and in such an educated-sounding and analytical manner - can bring you down. But, if you take a quick glimpse of his profile, it speaks heavily of the kind of person you're hurt by.

As a man well-travelled on the wild and vast Internet Plains, I can tell you that this is a person who hangs out regularly in places like 4chan, likely on the /b/ page. If you observe his icon/avatar, people familiar with 4chan, /b/ or internet memes will recognise it as Courage Wolf, a common meme about a year and a half ago, whose opinions (as implanted by 4chan Photoshop wizards) tend to strike around misogynist, racist and bigoted comments. Looking at his profile, as well, you'll see:

Motto: You tell her to get in the kitchen and make you a sammich!

Now it's a pretty common thing on 4chan to be misogynist. Don't ask me why a bunch of teenagers are so interested in it - possibly because they were born to a world that doesn't have the same public women-hating as earlier last century. Regardless, it's a Thing, of sorts.

Based on this? I would recommend dismissing this person's words as no different to other easily-dismissed forms like "OMG U SUK LOL FUCKEN GAY SHIT ROFL," et cetera.

But if you were truly hurt by this sad wee man's words, I'm disheartened. This song, and some others, were not to my personal taste but I love all the others - I'm no artist, but I highly respect that you are a creator, and not just a detractor in life. All art is subjective, and one man's trash is another's treasure.

You keep doing what you're doing. :)

o_o

I really actually liked this song. am gonna look for epic win onitunes cos I keep forgetting to do so.

What happened to the new song? It didn't come out all day...

Man this song is awesome!

That game was terribly dull and boring, just stupid go and kill some robots gameplay.

That chase/playing around sequence with Rebecca and the other dude in spandex was sooo Benny Hill, love that stuff!

isn't there supposed to be a new song already?

Yeah... What happened?

Anyone else getting massive shades of Sigur Ros on this? =]

And I don't get why people spend so much time ragging on her; it's not like the critics provide anything better.

SFJ:

And I don't get why people spend so much time ragging on her; it's not like the critics provide anything better.

It originates in a failure of understanding the internet.

The three laws of online posting (by Craig Ferguson)
1. Does this need to be said?
2. Does this need to be said by me?
3. Does this need to be said by me now?

The more often people skip this checklist, the crappier the forums are. I don't visit here often enough to know if spergers like El Pup and the minor complainers who flock around him are commonplace, but a better example is imdb.com, which has utterly useless forums mostly populated by people who think everyone wants to know their personal dislikes.

I'm curious as to where the new song is. They haven't dropped her, have they?

Aran:

SFJ:

It originates in a failure of understanding the internet.

The three laws of online posting (by Craig Ferguson)
1. Does this need to be said?
2. Does this need to be said by me?
3. Does this need to be said by me now?

The more often people skip this checklist, the crappier the forums are. I don't visit here often enough to know if spergers like El Pup and the minor complainers who flock around him are commonplace, but a better example is imdb.com, which has utterly useless forums mostly populated by people who think everyone wants to know their personal dislikes.

That strikes me as a rather thoughtful set of guidelines, although they'd never be enforced. =]

El Pup is clearly just tossing off into these forums. He acts like he's making smart, opinionated remarks or proving some grandiose point by provoking a response, but his swift judgement of a woman he's never even met proves him to be little more than a bed-spunking troll.

I didn't even know IMDB had a forum. I might check it out next time I need a drunken laugh.

Giandroid:

esperandote:

arkady:

The Escapist changed her schedule to once a month instead of once every two weeks. They didn't say it was because of the flame war but I suspect it was a contributing factor. Anyway this was the official news post.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102235-Rebecca-Mayes-Muses-Moves-to-Once-a-Month

hamster mk 4:

Giandroid:

esperandote:

arkady:

The Escapist changed her schedule to once a month instead of once every two weeks. They didn't say it was because of the flame war but I suspect it was a contributing factor. Anyway this was the official news post.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102235-Rebecca-Mayes-Muses-Moves-to-Once-a-Month

Awww. Ok. I like these songs, though I suspect this site may not provide the perfect audience for her.

I don't find Rebecca to be a role model or anything, but as a girl, I do like that the Escapist has been so good in allowing her to have artistic freedom and publish her songs. It's just nice to see a woman be one of the main contributors.

Funny thought: if you were looking for greater recognition, a scandal is the best way to do it. Maybe the grumpy comments weren't the reason for the change of schedule at all; maybe Rebecca just wants a couple more weeks to write her songs? Or maybe she's found another place to air them. Whatever.

I'll keep following her now the Escapist has put me in contact with her :)

Rebecca Mayes:
War for Cybertron

Rebecca Mayes learns the language of Cybertron to bring us this message from a beloved transformer.

Watch Video

Becca, can you please make a statement of your own about the new schedule? Thanks.

Nice Karin D. Anderson impression, for a few moments there I thought that I've got a Fever Ray record still running in the living room.
Another video and another furious discussion ongoing, I find it amusing how Rebecca's songs start serious flamewars regularly. Although I'm mostly with El Pup on this subject. I am also one of those who got seriously impressed by her earlier works (pre-escapist and sims 3) and got somewhat bored lately. It seems to me that she wants to experiment with her music as much as possible but her tight contract schedule simply forces her to publish everything due to lack of time. But she's still young, new in the business - we'll see.

I liked the background music, but as others have said, the voume changes were a bit tough, had a hard time even hearing the singing, and couldn't turn it up for fear of the intense guitar riff. I am not sure I have ever said, I fear "the intense the guitar riff" before. :)

Other than that, not my favorite because I really couldn't follow.

This is the second Rebecca Mayes video I've seen. The first one was funny. This one was extremely bad. I'll give it one more shot... :/

ngl I really enjoyed this song.

don't know why but i have a hard time hearing its Icelandic even though i can recognize some of it, maybe im just not as formal with my use of words

else great song...

Umm... I don't really get this at all.

In my opinion, this song is garbage. Completely useless noise. Rebecca's 30 seconds of fame needs to be over. NOW. This video is right up there with Tay Zonday's "Crash Into Weird". Go ahead, look it up on Youtube. Right around the point where he's wearing his underwear on his head you'll know what I'm talking about.

Just because she's a cute girl who plays video games does NOT excuse videos like this being made. I wish I had some sort of way to cure my eardrums from having that really loud cacophony assaulting me midway through. I wish I could somehow remove any trace of me having visited this page, just because I don't want to add to her traffic numbers.

Then again, that's just my opinion. I'm not really that big of a music buff, and this just didn't tickle my particular fancy. It's not a genre I enjoy, clearly. I'm sure it's probably very relevant song and took talent to create, but I just don't have the experience to appreciate it. Read my first statement I made in this post and you'll find it apparent that I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about.

I like some of sigur-ros work, and i do like this song.

deus-ex-machina:
I was really hoping you were going to do something based around the original theme tune.

This reminded me of Bjork.

I hate Bjork. Deduce.

Oh god so was I! I expected some techno/trance beat that flowed into something else then when I watched the video...I can barely hear what she says in the first few seconds. I was tempted to say, "Can you speak a little louder into the mic, please ma'am?"

This actually reminded me of Susumu Hirasawa. Like. A LOT. Great stuff, though.

Good to see her branching out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or