Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I have to say, I've been watching your reviews a lot lately. It used to be that I never trusted reviewers of any kind because I've seen far too many sell out by being biased in favor of the hollywood blockbuster movies with amazingly huge budgets and never really giving the lower class movies a chance, Splice being a prime example of just that.

I hesitate to trust reviewers not only for that but because the exact same thing happened in video game reviews when I had to wait a year to buy ES4:Oblivion. It was 2006, I was still in high school, and generally Naive. But I saw probably 20 different game reviewing places give the game 9 to 10/10 or 4 to 5/5, and yet when I finally got a system that could handle the game, I found out just how much it quite literally sucked without mods. Not one single area in the game has any real soul or innovation.

I'm really glad to have finally found a reviewer not only with integrity but who has a similar interest and taste as me (about 9/10 movie reviews I agree with).

I almost half expected you to simply go with the atypical "it mixes video game logic with romance so what's not to love," and leave it at that but I'm glad to see you delved deeper than that, as I was kind of sketchy on whether I should see this movie. I like the concept and initial idea of video game logic in reality (akin to the futurama episode using the "What if" machine to ask "What if the world were more like a video game") but the cheesy romance comedy could seriously undermine the whole movie.

So I'm glad to see that even the romantic comedy portion of the movie is at the very least, catchy and intuitive, as opposed to predictable and cliche like damn near every romantic comedy to come out in the last 5 to 10 years (Seriously, "Good Luck Chuck?" What the fuck was the point of that movies existence other than to further Dane Cooks already profoundly shitty comedy career?)

Canada playing Canada?

*jumps off the fence*

I'm seeing this!

I'm sure this will be a Rom Com I'll actually enjoy.

Holding on par with Inception? Then I've gotta watch it.

ryukage_sama:
I wonder when they're going to make a live-action MegaMan movie?

They did. But it's fan made, and legitimately good.
http://screwattack.com/videos/Mega-Man

Scrythe:
It's a shame I'll probably never know if this movie is actually good or not, due to my boycott of anything containing Michael Cera in it - especially after the double fistfuck of Nick and Nora and Year One.

Yes those movies sucked but damn you should really reconsider that boycott, at least for this movie. Saw it today and I was blown away by how good it was. Everyone, including Michael Cera cynics need to see this and be surprised how he pulls off the likable jerk. Also because the movie is utterly fantastic.

Just got back and it was fantastic! I couldn't stop laughing for the first 3/4 of the film, and it captures the spirit of the books even if some of the deeper character development was seriously trimmed for the time constraints. Score another win for Edgar Wright.

jboking:
WAIT! Toronto doesn't actually work on video game rules? ...ouch, my dreams.

Toronto does work on video game rules. Specifically the rules for Frogger. You take your life in your hands when you cross Queen Street.

MasochisticMuse:
Hahaha - no. Michael Cera plays one character over and over again. Ask him to step out of his comfort zone and play a different character and I'm sure he'd fail miserably. Much like Steve Carrel.

Well, that's an interesting point. How many comic actors actually do more than one schtick? I'm sure a few would come to mind if I thought harder on it, but isn't Jack Black usually Jack Black, and Seth Rogen usually Seth Rogen, and Jason Lee usually Jason Lee? Some comedic actors transition into competent, even excellent dramatic roles, like Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks and Jamie Foxx, but that usually comes after a decade or so in the business.

In any case, Michael Cera is basically Michael Cera in this film, or rather, Michael Cera with ass-kicking. But I think he was well-cast. Scott Pilgrim is supposed to be an annoying loser. Like many other epic stories with big ensemble casts of characters, the main character is always the least-interesting character! I don't know if it's because he has to be the blandest everyman so the audience can project themselves onto him, or because the supporting characters are allowed to be fun and quirky in a two-dimensional way while the protagonist has to get more character development that most genre writers can't pull off, but that's certainly the case here. The supporting cast was fantastic with what little they had to work with. It would have been nice to get into Kim Pine's and Envy's backstories a bit more, and make Ramona more likeable, but they did a good job for two hours.

The very SECOND the Universal logo appeared, I knew I would love this movie. And I do. The fanboy in me is slightly miffed at certain detail changes (the color of Ramona's bag and Knive's dyed hair, how certain ex-battles played out differently), but it's all entirely miniscule when compared to the movie on the whole.

From this moment on, Michael Cera can do no wrong in my book. I never understood al the animosity toward him in the first place. Yeah, he plays the same role all the time, but so what? Patrick Warburton uses the same voice in every animation role he has, and everybody loves him.

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

7 evil EXs
1 was a girl
Also, My faith in humanity is restored... for now.

Nice review, Bob. Loved the mention of No More Heroes.

ThePostalDude:

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

7 evil EXs
1 was a girl
Also, My faith in humanity is restored... for now.

Don't mean too flame your post, but please do check to see if I've been corrected first. Only mentioning it cause I've gotten about five or six messages about this XD

But yeah, I forgot the woman

my phone started going off during the resolution of the movie... FUCK (i pretty much didn't hear the last 5 minutes.. after the gideon fight)
soo

Blue-State:
Movie Bob got the hight score! Congrats!
That last line from the movie= priceless!

what was the last line...

dex-dex:

Bwown:
What are you talking about Canada playing Canada and not the US?

Canada is like the US. The only difference is Canada's more liberal and less powerful than the US.

yeah the better thing is that other countries actually like Canada
Unlike the US

True, but having Obama has helped the US's standing in the world. Also I wasn't trying to diss on Canada (It's a cool place. Ha, pun.) I was just pointing out that there aren't that many differences between Canada and the US, other than the ones I mentioned.

Did anyone else find it funny that none of the actors or characters had a Canadian accent?

Just sayin'...

Seems to me like this movie has everything Bob mentioned in the Prince of Persia review that he expected out of the first good video game movie.

Too bad it's based on a comic...

this looks like the movie to help me transiton from jock to nerd

Indeed, it was a wonderful little movie that felt sadly a bit too compressed.

It felt like it was a three hour movie that got simmered down and trimmed of all it's fat into an extremely lean two hours, and possibly an accidentally overly close cut every now and again. Still, overall, excellent and moreso if you're a gamer.

Wow, I'd heard about this film, but only the basic concept- not that it was set in a world that seems to run on video game rules, or is half live-action, half game.

Now the challenge is convincing my reluctant best friend to go see it with me.

I've been looking forward to this and it sounds just as I expected, except maybe the overarching plot is a little deeper than I thought it would be.

However, I'm concerned that if this does well, as Kick Ass did, we're going to suffer a tirade of watered down, samey , over the top action comedies with 'wacky' characters, fights, and special effects and no character development or plot, because Hollywood saw $$$ and thought replicating it weakly was the new path to gold.

Yes, I realise Kick Ass was independent, and judging by the budget of this, and it's marketing, this is a large movie company's production, I'm just saying I hope we don't get a flurry of weak Scott Pilgrim vs Kick Ass style movies.

Anyone else thinking this is how at least one of the earlier videogames should have been done tho? Instead of clinging to 'realism'?

whats the image of?

silver wolf009:
Boss battels eh? Is there a Gitaur Hero esc battle? Because that wouldbe expected as hes in a band.
And your a hacker if you got 9999999 points and 99 lives.
Good review as always, I was kind of hoping for the expendables but all well.

To be honest, given that I grew up watching most of the cast of the Expendbles in various depictions of manly badassery, I think I'll be seeing it even if I were told it was a crime against humanity. If they snuck in Bruce Campbell somewhere, I don't think I'd even have waited until the weekend.

That said, I'm interested in this movie. I kept wondering where I had heard of Scott Pilgrim because the name sounded familiar if nothing else. The trailer seemed interesting, but then that never seems to get me into the theater these days. Now, when I go to the theater later today, I'll be forced to make a terrible choice.

Avarith:

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Wow, am I the only one who thinks this movie is going to suck?

I desperately wanted him to hate it. Frankly, I'm probably still not going to see it, because Bob has been wrong before.

(Daybreakers and Splice came close to what he said, but instead turned to crap. Please don't ask me to explain why. I can, I just don't want to.)

you know that = fail right you have an opinion but are unwilling to express it means you really should not talk.

He expressed his opinon but failed to offer an explanation. Of course, if you disagree, what are the odds that a well constructed explanation will make his argument acceptable?

Good review not only did you say that its good but also the intended audience

It sounds good but I don't think this movie is for me

Well, I was on the fence and you gave me the boot. Guess I'll be seeing it. :)

I really liked the little bit of an extended into with the longer theme song and the short version synopsis then the long version.

Probably not though.

Falseprophet:
Well, that's an interesting point. How many comic actors actually do more than one schtick? I'm sure a few would come to mind if I thought harder on it, but isn't Jack Black usually Jack Black, and Seth Rogen usually Seth Rogen, and Jason Lee usually Jason Lee? Some comedic actors transition into competent, even excellent dramatic roles, like Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks and Jamie Foxx, but that usually comes after a decade or so in the business.

That even tends to happen with dramatic actors. Like, say, Jack Nicholson, who has always played himself even when he played the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman movie.

this movie is freaking awesome!!!

After reading the first two books today at work I can safely say that if this movie is anything like the books it's going to suck major donkey balls.

Ba-bomb? Isn't it Bomb-omb?

Willeus:
Ba-bomb? Isn't it Bomb-omb?

Bob-omb.

Nurb:
I dunno... a girl with that many violent ex boyfriends (and girlfriend)?

Sounds like her emotional baggage would be the biggest foe to overcome than her exes! I mean, I just can't suspend by belief enough to not see Scott is the "safe" rebound placeholder for about 6 months.

Then he's going to be Ex #8 battling her next violent boyfriend.

http://www.hiyoooo.com/

You probably hit the nail on the head dude. Personally when I see a girl that dates violent angry jackass suitors usually dates at least one dork but half the time it's just a phase to date someone safe before being seduced by another jerk.

Your right, I should have seen it yesterday... that's why I am going to see it today!

There are too many movies and games these days for my small budget to handle.

Good to see Canada playing Canada. USA is already playig USA. We need countries playing another roles.

I am now hooked for this. And it is quite something because any kind of romance, fictional or not tend to transform me in a pool of vile hatred with dreams of bloody murder.

Yes, I am envious and bitter. Working on that.

The movie was ridiculous, but that's entirely the point. My favorite part was Matthew Patel and his demon hipster chicks.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here