Review: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Pages PREV 1 2

meganmeave:

Onyx Oblivion:

meganmeave:

Onyx Oblivion:

meganmeave:
Ah, well, I thought the game looked a little wacky when I saw the videos of it on XBL. This clears up a lot of things for me.

I probably won't be getting it, even though one of my XBL friends has been playing it non-stop for the last week. I'll be waiting for the new Tomb Raider co-op... which a truly hope is good.

That's me, isn't it?

Perhaps... <.<

You do seem to be enjoying it. I was tempted to buy it only because I knew any time I got on I could try the multiplayer madness because you would be playing it.

I can promise you this...I'll teach you the levels, and then the time limit will NEVER trouble you. Not even the first time. If you want me to slay everything for you so you can get PHAT LOOT, I'll do it. If you want me to back off, so that you can do stuff on your own, I'll do it. I've got 40 hours with this game...That's just with one characters. I plan to master all 5 in the end...So, I pretty much enjoy this game no matter what I'm doing.

What is it with you and game pushing? First Limbo now this... I think maybe you are getting a cut.

You better play with me if I buy this, because I don't know anyone else who has it, and I don't want to be like Susan, standing in front of a wall that doesn't move because I don't have a partner.

I get a cut...I get a friend to play with!

I'm teach you everything. From how each character works, to the routes, to the backstory. And I'll do it all with glee!

I'll admit, I thought the review was all "Boohoo the game is hard make it easier" until the dreaded time limit was revealed. I agree with the above. Dealbreaker.

I'll just play SoTN if I want my Alucard fix.

Voice.

*shudder*

How can people have a problem with the time limit? This is my first castlevania game, ever. And I have yet to run out of time (Cept for facing Dracula, 3 skele's kept dieing.)

It is NOT a deal breaker.

Psychosocial:

Harmony of Despair lets you and up to five friends play as one of six iconic Castlevania characters, like Alucard, Soma Cruz, or Jonathan Morris

After this, I couldn't take a single word you said seriously.

Jonathan Morris might not be a Belmont, but he isn't that bad of a character.
My major complaint is that there isn't a real Belmont among the lot (unless you pay for Julius...yeah, thanks a pantload Konami).

It's really too bad, i would have liked to play as some of the Belmonts, like Richter, Simon, Juste, and Trevor

I notice a LOT of sprite reuse from the DS games. That's not so bad, but they've recycled the bosses and their behaviours too. If you've played Symphony of the Night, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, then it looks like everything will be familiar, including the characters...

This certainly isn't "old-fashioned" Castlevania. This is post-Symphony Castlevania, multiplayer, recycling everything from the four games above. Not that that's such a bad thing, but... ugh... timer...

I would most likely purchase it if I had an Xbox 360 readily available.

BobisOnlyBob:
I would most likely purchase it if I had an Xbox 360 readily available.

Ditto. These XBL things almost make me regret I didn't buy a 360 :/

The game looks pretty sweet to me. But "cock rock soundtrack?" Really? I've never heard anyone singing about going to L.A. strip clubs in a Castlevania game. If by "cock rock" you meant "symphonic rock" you'd be more spot-on, then we might want to discuss your understanding of the word "cock."

When I first tried this castlevania, it was as a trial demo and I thought the time limit was just there to shorten the demo. I must say I was surprised that it was actually in the full game as well. While I do still enjoy the game, I really wish there was no time limit at all. It doesn't ruin my fun, but it does detract a fair bit. Same goes for lack of local co-op. That was just crappy. One can only hope that they make a patch that makes the time limit optional and that puts in local co-op sometime.

castlevania HoD is an acquired taste for sure. but honestly if you're a fan of castlevania there's no doubt you'll enjoy this game. for those being put off by the time limit you need to understand the role the time limit is actually playing.

The time limit isn't there to make you hurry as 20 minutes should be the most you would spend on any chapter regardless of taking your sweet time. the time limit is there for balance issues concerning multiplayer. when a character dies they can be revived no problem, but should they die as a skeleton 3 minutes will be shaved from the timer making for many failed runs due to people continuing to die over and over.

As for the shortcuts designed for multiplayer they're ways to pass them on your own if you take the time to learn the game. such as the fire wall where susan was trapped, the hercules ring or tough ring will let you walk right through the fire. figuring out these neat little tricks make up a lot of the enjoyment to be had with this game.

Overall the appeal of this game would be 1. castlevania fans 2. speed runners 3. grinders, and 4. completionists or for those who like 100%. so if you're anyone of those 4 things you'll enjoy this game.

Newblisk:
castlevania HoD is an acquired taste for sure. but honestly if you're a fan of castlevania there's no doubt you'll enjoy this game. for those being put off by the time limit you need to understand the role the time limit is actually playing.

The time limit isn't there to make you hurry as 20 minutes should be the most you would spend on any chapter regardless of taking your sweet time. the time limit is there for balance issues concerning multiplayer. when a character dies they can be revived no problem, but should they die as a skeleton 3 minutes will be shaved from the timer making for many failed runs due to people continuing to die over and over.

As for the shortcuts designed for multiplayer they're ways to pass them on your own if you take the time to learn the game. such as the fire wall where susan was trapped, the hercules ring or tough ring will let you walk right through the fire. figuring out these neat little tricks make up a lot of the enjoyment to be had with this game.

Overall the appeal of this game would be 1. castlevania fans 2. speed runners 3. grinders, and 4. completionists or for those who like 100%. so if you're anyone of those 4 things you'll enjoy this game.

I'm not going to disagree with that, but if you just want to dick around with friends online, get something that doesn't have time limits. Of course, with the right strategy or character, some of the bosses don't really matter.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here