Where Do You Fall on the Fandom Spectrum?

Pages PREV 1 2

Elizabeth - very curious about what you're researching on the Twilight fandom. I've studied it professionally since before the first film was cast, and have a fair read of where and when the conversation differs. If you have any questions I can help with, feel free to hit me up on Twitter - @Fanthropologist. Also - I'm genuinely interested in how others analyze Twilight, so if your project ever goes online - please let me know!

For the purposes of the rest of this thread, I'd like to make the point (with all credit to Malcolm Gladwell) that sometimes, having an emotional response to a story is simply a shortcut through our own analysis - especially if the only question we feel is important is whether something is good or bad (which is as far as many people get). Meyers' "purple prose" aside (that sort of language use tends to be trendy at certain historical periods, so it's simplistic to illegitimize a work over it), there are a great may things about the text that are ground-breaking, which is what many people are responding to on some level. Not least of which is her pattern of romantic representation as filtered through conservative fourth-wave feminism - you may not agree with it, but it's difficult to make the literary case that it doesn't strikingly break the mold from what came before.

I look like a low brow liker of something... but I obsess!

I obsess obsessively!!!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or