The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 39 NEXT

Hubert South:
So, you want to replace one centralised hardware that does everything your phone/tablet/etc does, and does it better, with an array of hyper-specialized, expensive, and ineffective stuff?

Dont let the door hit your fat ass on the way out, you lobotomized troll.

show me a smart phone/tablet that can play crysis and u have won until then shut up and play angry birds.

show me a smart phone/tablet in which i can word process more effectivly than a pc

show me a smart phone/tablet that i can store 300 Hd movies on and then watch on a 37inch screen.

if u cant guess what im getting at here its that the only thing a smart phone or any phone does better than a pc is that its a phone and portable, and tablets are just well Ipad need i say more a super expensive, useless bit of techno garbage from the "trendy" people at apple.

(laptop - power) + (phone - phone) = Ipad

*looks to the left "OH my GOD what is this its like a pc only portable hmm..... a ....la....p...top, but can it play games?.....................oh my god it can" throws Ipad in bin*

Eternal_Lament:
Did anyone else think the title was a Videodrome reference?

Anyways, interesting episode, although I almost expected this to be a Game Overthinker episode as oppossed to a Big Picture episode.

which in itself is just a reiteration of

The King is Dead. Long live the King.

Signaling the Hail to a New King. After the death or conquer of the old.

I agree that this sounds more like Overthinker Territory.

I could only get four minutes in to the video.
I tried really, REALLY hard to listen to Bob's argument, but like all of his movie reviews HE JUST DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT (besides what he reads on wikipedia).

PC gaming had HUGE sales increases in 2010. Services like Steam and D2D provide direct content at cheap prices. Indie developers are able to instantly promote and distribute their games. Mac Fascists aside, the PC is far from dead. Tablets and smartphones cannot replace a personal computer no matter how hard they try (I also don't know why Bob listed a laptop and PC as two different things).

I'm not a PC elitist by any means. I loved my N64 and PS2 and cherish my PS3. But playing games on my computer has its own opportunities. For one, buying things through a Steam sale is usually a hell of a lot cheaper and also means wherever I bring my laptop and have an internet connection, I have a library of over 40 games.

PC gaming is far from dead and MovieBob, as usual, is far from right.

Havik223:
I can't believe Bob didn't mention piracy in this episode. PCs provide more freedom than any other gaming platform, that includes mods (good) and piracy (bad). PC gaming sales have been suffering at ungodly low sales levels due to games being stolen. Remember DMC4 on the PC? It looked amazing and played terrifically, so why didn't Bayonetta get a PC port? Because you, me and everyone we know pirated the shit out of DMC4. Devs are already getting hurt from pre-owned sales and piracy doesn't help.

That being said PC gaming will only die once this generation of PC gamers dies out. As it stands the PC offers too much to gamers to be forgotten as a gaming platform any time soon.

Bayonetta's a SEGA Property while DMC4 was a Capcom property. Last I looked Capcom was still supporting PC gaming. I thought I saw Dead Rising 2 for PC a while back.

darkcommanderq:
While I agree with your post, bob did say the PC is DYING, not that it is DEAD.

He also said that the PC will be replaced by these things and hinted that this will occur by the generation behind us, not that our generation will give up PCs in exchange for other devices.

Well, as long as he's not saying this generation will give up PCs. I was pretty worried I'd have to give up my PC, but if he's just talking about the next generation, I'm fine with that. And if they ever mention wanting a real computer, I'll tell them to blame Bob.

Chibz:

Woodsey:
Like I said, PC game sales rose last year

I'm going to do something you probably won't see here (as a PC supremist).

I demand evidence.

You both fail to see the point. Sales are completely irrelevant as they are not sales of PC games they are sales of console games that can be played on the PC. Its the pure blood PC game that is dying out (I didn't mean that so sound quite so nazi but its the only way I can think to put it).

The problem with these new media are that they don't offer the same features that PC gaming offers.

Games designed for non-PC platforms are different sorts of games. Games running on non-PC platforms are much harder to modify to suit each particular gamer's preferences. And, as yet, I haven't seen a non-PC gaming platform that can match the output of even a mid-range gaming PC.

Not to mention that I think the 16:9 aspect ratio is the work of the devil. 16:10 is much better for gaming.

WaaghPowa:

imagremlin:
Whilst I obviously didn't read all comments, the majority of "pc defenders" around just reinforce Bob's arguments.

IT DOESN'T MATTER if you love your PC so much. That you think it will always be unmatched, that all other platforms are a joke and you'll never let it go.

The market is moving, and the investors will move with it.

yes, it is rather obvious you didn't read the comments. If you go a few pages back you'll find a video you must watch.

Saw it.
Didn't change my point of view.

I don't think I can be more eloquent than Bob, but I'll add a few bits.

A DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A POINT IF VIEW. I AM NOT STATING FACT, NOBODY CAN UNLESS THEY OWN A WORKING CRYSTAL BALL.

Again, It doeen't matter that you can build a gaming PC for dirt cheap. Average Joe out there doesn't want to do that.

This is a bit of a paradox. PC gaming is an exclusive "do it yourself" club, and admit it, you like it like that. That is Bob's main point, that the functions a PC would fulfil on at home are being replaced by appliance like devices. Just plug it it. A PC is not an applicance unless is a Mac and we know how much that counts for gaming. Price may not be a consideration anymore, but convenience and ease of use is.

That is why the PC Gaming market has played second fiddle to the consoles market for over a decade now.

And here comes the kicker: I believe mobiles and tablets are going to push PC's to third place as they fight for the top spot. When average joe realizes that tables/mobiles do 90% of he needs (email, browsing, Facebook) that's when the relevance of PCs at home may go into serious decline.

Don't think the publishers are considering this? Just check Tim Schaffer's twitter feed. The market for Steam may be healthy right now, but it's the mid term we're talking about here. That may not be the case in five year's time.

In any case, when all is said and done, the big gray box ain't going away, neither are laptops. Its the gaming market for them that I think will decline. PC's will live on, at offices around the world, as well as developer and engineering houses. They'll be used to create games... that run in other platforms. At home? not so much.

Kouryuu:

imagremlin:
Whilst I obviously didn't read all comments, the majority of "pc defenders" around just reinforce Bob's arguments.

IT DOESN'T MATTER if you love your PC so much. That you think it will always be unmatched, that all other platforms are a joke and you'll never let it go.

The market is moving, and the investors will move with it.

Yeah it will be forgotten may be it will be called differently after a millennia, but The PC is a concept. Windows, a xbox a mac, iphone are products, have you ever heard of a PC2, I guess no, because the PC is not a brand or a product. That is just like saying that food will disappear. May be Tacos will, but food as nourishment Won't. I have a PC in my pocket a HTC, I disable the phone program and its a basic a PC. that is just like saying that food will disappear. May be Tacos will, but food as nourishment Won't
We are not outraged that he thinks that stationary towers will diaper, hell I do too, but the PC will be around long after the consoles are forgotten.

Umh... where did I say PC's will dissapear? Please check my response to WaaghPowa.

An intersting video.

Though for myself I think that it is Console gaming that it irrevocably doomed. The reason is the convergence of technology, a massively obvious example being mobile phones. Ones all these little brick shaped devices could was make phone calls. Now they are miniature computers, miniature personal computers.
In the world of tomorrow we will all have immensly powerful computers capable of running any app, or game we want, probably conencted to some cloud resource. A bigger version will probably lurk in our homes, the final genesis of the 'home media centre'.
In such a world who will want the highly limited, single purpose machines that are the consoles? No one.

Bob is probably right that PC gaming as we know it is dying, but it's not heat death of the universe dead, it's more a reincarnation. What we think of as a personal computer is changing, and PCs will reemrge from this time of transistion as devices that are far beyond what we have now.

In short console fans, you may strike us down, but we will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

So Bob will be happy, as this has now reached 1000 posts. This was such a succesfull troll.

Really am sick of this discussion. Everyone loves to predict what things will come and replace the PC. But guess what, they are never right. This has been happening since the first playstation. And guess what it's still here. Really give it up already. Yeah something may land a killingb blow on PC gaming, but it is not any of the things that people are predicting. If there is something that is really good the PC will just integrate it borg style.

Really PC gaming is some 20+ years old and for most of that has had obituraries written for it, give up already. All the will happen is that PC gaming will evolve as it always has.

Really until something better comes aling PC gaming is going nowhere. It's share of the market will just ebb and flow.

Tablets are not replacing dying computers, nor is anything else. Computers are just so powerful, comparatively, that nothing can stand up to a good gaming PC on any mechanical level. It's all left to size. Only quantum computing could change that and that's a ways off. Sure, eventually the PC may be replaced, but my guess is that only tablets will be singularly versatile enough to do so, and only by becoming touch screen laptops. What I can see right now is an expensive, decentralized load of well... stuff. I think only tablets could fill that void, but even then, nobody could have these:

And how could we ever be without that?

I have to disagree with you Bob. The counsels trend right now, is moving towards becoming PC's themselves. Eventually we will have a manufactured PC with a really crappy operating system and PlayStation or XBOX logo stamped on the side.

You suggest, that for every use a PC has, it can be replaced by some other useless gadget. I like to use my computer to make and render 3D models. No other gadget will have the power to do this. You suggest that for each use of the PC there will be a device for that one process. I suggest we combine all these devices into one device, Ohh wait we already have a device that does that and its called a personal computer. Why clutter you life with a bunch of little useless devices that are made with the the solo intent of stealing your money, when you can buy the one device that does it all for a cheap price.

Chibz:

Woodsey:
Like I said, PC game sales rose last year

I'm going to do something you probably won't see here (as a PC supremist).

I demand evidence.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/

Revenue up last year by a fifth. I'd posted it somewhere else but I was spread out across 5 different conversations in the thread.

Steam's increasing steadily too - there are frequently 3 million users logged in at once when I am.

I'm trying to get into PC gaming but it's. Well. it's expensive. You can't just pickup a game and play it on the home computer it's probably to unadvanced to work properly and you can't play an old game because they are incompatible without certain software that you just to buy just to make that not the case. Oddly enough he did not mention that so I am apparently the only poor person around here.

Look at all those comments. Where was I when this video first came out?

PC gaming pushes the technological limits of hardware to the point where there will always be a market for gaming PC's simply because they let you do more than any console or tablet which only has the processing power of gaming machines built two or three years ago.

Improvements in miniaturization are only possible because companies push the boundaries on what they can do in a limited space (i.e. the size of a PCI-E board); it is a simple fact of computing that larger systems will ALWAYS be faster than compact, portable systems simply because they have room for two to four (or more) times the transistors.

The only way PC gaming will ever truly die is if hardware technology surpasses the creativity of programmers (edit: or, admittedly, the funds) to effectively take advantage of the increased processing power, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Maybe when we have a world-simulator MMO accurate down to the micrometer scale...

Foxbat Flyer:

the_carrot:

Foxbat Flyer:

Hazah! this to its fullest extent! (I even got shogun 2 yesterday :D) This better explains my previous rant in a non banning mannor, i like it

Diablo 3 may not be on that list ultimately: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711050/blizzard-teases-diablo-3-on-consoles-pc-gamers-around-the-world-mourn/

Really???? NOOOOOOO!!!! It has always been a PC only game though... Ohwell, there are many other great titles in that list

If I am looking at my games I see a perfectly working Playstation version of Diablo und a perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2. Yes Diablo was always PC exclusive *sarcasm* Got that out of my system. Just hate it when people make uneducated claims.

On topic: Bob mentions computer gaming dying because shooter and adventure games have gone to consoles and the only games you need a PC for are web-games like World of Warcraft or Zynga games and simulators, god-games and on a brief note starcraft.
First of all World of Warcraft is serious gaming as are Zynga-games. Games are not serious. Spank the monkey is as good a waste of time as playing Call of Duty or Street Fighter.
Second of all Bob acts as if PC gamers are hateful of Nintendo for being so much better off with Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda (we all know you are a fanboy (the mean meaning of fanboy) to a fault Bob) than PC gamers with their games because we did not have any fun playing adventure games for example. Yes you had to be rich back in the days so you could play the games. I could say this part of the video is a cryout of Bob who wants to deny his past self not being fortunate enough to afford a gaming PC. Getting sidetracked now, just using same tactic on Bob himself.
Third of all going back to point one, yes we still have strategy games, simulator games, Massive Multiplayer Online games and these are viable markets. And the PC-based RPG (i.e. Wizardry, Might and Magic, Forgotten Realms´titles, The Dark Eye´s titles, Bioware´s Dragon Age Origins) is still best played on a PC.
Last of all is Bob you do not know what you are talking about. Just to answer your question.

the_carrot:
Has bob replied to any of this? Or is he too condescending to actually reply to any of the people he baited with his post.

he never replies but in his defense would you? why would he waste what could be days of his life engaging in comment on comment combat with the army of keyboard warriors hed be squared up against.

No.

Personal computers still exist separate from consoles, simply because the consoles are purpose built for gaming.

PC's are blank slates, customisable by design.
Consoles are very limited, almost as if their creators fear ignorant tampering from their customers.

Say what you will about the future, there is a difference between a blank slate and a slate with a Monopoly board drawn on it.

I don't disagree with the guy because of the title, I disagree because he is an idiot. He fails to make a single valid point throughout the video.

/First person shooters are TERRIBLE on consoles compared to on PC
/All motion controllers are annoying at best for anything but wii sports & the like
/Do PCs no longer support keyboards & mice where this guy lives?
/A laptop is merely a mobile PC, not a printer. Gaming on a laptop is PC gaming.
/Tablets (touch screens in particular) are terrible for gaming
/In home cloud computing the PC is king:

If you are running a system where resources are shared across multiple devices to maximise the performance and mobility of whatever you are currently using you do not remove the single most powerful device you have. You invest heavily in your computing powerhouse so that you don't have to for the rest of your devices. What is that powerhouse; the PC. So even if your PC is actually a small box next to your boiler, you are still using it when you play Crysis 5 on your kitchen TV.

//The guy hasn't even touched the real reasons why console gaming has taken over PC gaming, which we all know are cost and ease of use. However I really fail to understand how the author interprets the fact that consoles are becomming more and more like PCs as evidence that PCs are dieing. I honestly think that he has misunderstood what the main difference between a PC and a console is, or rather what a PC is at all.

The simple truth is that as time goes by users expect their devices to get better. Of course this means they will be faster, include more features, be more efficient etc. This applies to almost any piece of technology avaliable (such as a car) and even to other products such as the food we eat. Now, this is entirely an argument based in the computing world and what in the computing world is the fastest, most efficient and offers the most features? The PC.

It seems that for too many people their idea of a PC is that of a desktop computer. That is: a case containing the electronics, a monitor, speakers along with a mouse and keyboard. This is correct for the most part (there are of course variances) but it is more of a description of what a PC looks like rather than what a PC is. So what do I think a PC is? I think a PC is merely a static computational device which supports everything. You can game on your PC but you can also surf the web (more easily than on a mobile device), work, communicate with anybody you wish etc. Virtually anything you can do on any electronic device can be done on a PC apart from take it with you.

The author said himself in the video if he could do the things he does on his PC on a console he happily would. Well I say when that day comes you no longer own a console. All you would be doing is operating another branded PC system, likely with a terrible, restrictive OS that will piss you off to no end until people revert to windows & the like. The only device which the PC will not replace is the mobile phone because we need something to take with us. The Mobile phone won't replace the PC either though, not even your Crysis running future phone. The reason for that is that static computers will always be more powerful than mobile computers and consumers will demand an even higher level of processing power at home than on their phone. I wouldn't be suprised if someone from the 1980s on learning that modern smartphones contain multi core processors running at over 1Ghz presumed nobody owned any other computational device.

Woodsey:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/

A real source, please.

Jachwe:
First of all World of Warcraft is serious gaming as are Zynga-games.

Last of all is Bob you do not know what you are talking about. Just to answer your question.

CONTRADICTION AND HYPOCRACY - DANGER DANGER DANGER...

Well done Sir Bob, well done. Change should be embraced rather than wailed against but there is one fault to your final words. It shall not be tablet folk versus cybernetic eye folk but Tablet versus Augmented Reality via Personal Area Network.

Desktop PC's becoming irrelevant?

Who honestly would rather play on a tablet, smartphone or laptop? Portability is all well and good, but you don't need portability when you get home.

I'm quite disappointed in this video, it really was ill conceived, and strayed too far from basic common sense.

His argument is basically arguing that not only PC's, but consoles will be void too. When speaking in his "futurist" hat, he is basically saying something that could just as easily be applied to the xbox. If cloud computing seriously takes over (*snort*), then the guts of an xbox are just as useless as the guts of a PC. Both are equally nonviable.

The days of hunching over a keyboard and tapping being dead? What? Isn't that one of the major reasons people use PC's? Even if consoles took the keyboard and mouse market, you'd still see people "hunch over and tap" on a keyboard.

RTS isn't just going to die, and as there of yet has not been a better way to play RTS games but the keyboard and mouse, it will survive, and flourish.

Besides, tell that to South Korea and you'd be laughed all the way into a hydralisk den.

The last minute of this video makes the entire thing completely pointless.

"PC gaming is dead, but PC games are not."

WHOA, big difference there Bob. Why didn't you title it "The Death of the PC" instead of falsely implying an entire medium of game distribution is about to die? I agree that the "home computer" is going to be wholly replaced by the laptop soon, but that has no effect on gaming.

Jachwe:

Foxbat Flyer:

the_carrot:
Diablo 3 may not be on that list ultimately: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/711050/blizzard-teases-diablo-3-on-consoles-pc-gamers-around-the-world-mourn/

Really???? NOOOOOOO!!!! It has always been a PC only game though... Ohwell, there are many other great titles in that list

If I am looking at my games I see a perfectly working Playstation version of Diablo und a perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2. Yes Diablo was always PC exclusive *sarcasm* Got that out of my system. Just hate it when people make uneducated claims.

On topic: Bob mentions computer gaming dying because shooter and adventure games have gone to consoles and the only games you need a PC for are web-games like World of Warcraft or Zynga games and simulators, god-games and on a brief note starcraft.
First of all World of Warcraft is serious gaming as are Zynga-games. Games are not serious. Spank the monkey is as good a waste of time as playing Call of Duty or Street Fighter.
Second of all Bob acts as if PC gamers are hateful of Nintendo for being so much better off with Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda (we all know you are a fanboy (the mean meaning of fanboy) to a fault Bob) than PC gamers with their games because we did not have any fun playing adventure games for example. Yes you had to be rich back in the days so you could play the games. I could say this part of the video is a cryout of Bob who wants to deny his past self not being fortunate enough to afford a gaming PC. Getting sidetracked now, just using same tactic on Bob himself.
Third of all going back to point one, yes we still have strategy games, simulator games, Massive Multiplayer Online games and these are viable markets. And the PC-based RPG (i.e. Wizardry, Might and Magic, Forgotten Realms´titles, The Dark Eye´s titles, Bioware´s Dragon Age Origins) is still best played on a PC.

It was on PS1, but when i think of diablo, i think of PC. And PS1 was hardly supported by delevopers (Unless you count leter releases of the game) where as PC had patches available. With new systems, developers have the ability to avert their attention to consoles.

And with your statement of "perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2" Is a mac not a PC? from my perspective, a PC includes Mac and Windows.

So how are my claims uneducated? From my perspective, it is a PC only game and it is how it should stay

I can't hardly wait to see many of you posting here on the forums 25 years from now when Adam Sessler is hosting a "Classic PC" show in the style of how Classic and vintage car shows are done today. Many young kids will spare a glance as you talk about all the awesome specs of your vintage system and say "oh cool" and then go back to pwn'n noobs on the global eather with their iOmniHypercube courtesy of Cyber-Steve Jobs. The market will threaten to heat up however when Robo-Gates travels back in time 5 years to launch a version of Windows Quantum that doesn't crash. This will end badly when his time-portal OS crashes and the blue screen of death literally cuts him in half.

Somebody please draw me a picture of that.

The_root_of_all_evil:
*snip*

This whole response covers most of my own views. But I'd like to further point out something else, which I think Moviebob tried to talk about, but didn't realise what he was saying...

Woodsey:

This video is a little bizarre. You're right, why would you keep all those things at a hub in your house, when you could buy 300 different appliances that all only do a few functions of it? Oh, wait...

This is exactly right.

Moviebob: "Crunching numbers on your tablet, while you're typing up a report on your notebook, then getting in some game-time on the console, while sending emails from the hand-held." (~ 4:52 to 5:03 of this video)
Seriously, imagine that for a second. One guy, doing 4 different things on 4 different devices at the same time (impressive though that might be), with another guy sitting next to him on his PC comfortably able to do all those things at the same time, and more.
(Yes, the guy on the PC can easily game and do other stuff. Countless times I've seen my brother playing a game on one monitor, then doing stuff on the other monitor whenever he's respawning or whatever else would cause some gaming down-time.)

Some of your points are true Moviebob, I'll admit. But once again I've got to point to The_root_of_all_evil's post for better points.

ALL OF MY HATE!!!!!!

Dammit moviebob, I considered you worth listening to untill now.

Edit: To elaborate, anyone who includes a: "If you disagree with me you are proving me right" clause loses any form of relevancy or authority in my books

Counter-arguments that will go unread, provide no insight to a single reader, and ultimately die in obscurity: GO!

(Keep in mind, this applies ONLY to the home market. "Personal Computer")

In practical terms: Laptops will replace desktops for higher-end-processing requirement computing of most sorts. This ignores the possibility of those old beige and black bricks being used as personal servers (which require a constant high speed connection with higher reliability than your typical wireless necessities to be of any real use).

PC = Laptop. They are the same fucking thing, except one has more space for gadgets than the other.

Mobile Phones and Tablets will never completely replace higher-end-processing (of which gaming is a big proponent of) simply because of the practicality of size vs battery capacity.
Lithium Ion batteries are NOT improving all that much, and it's unlikely that we will find or develop a better, "safe for everyone" capacitor soon. While we could increase the power of the processors, it would be to the detriment of the customers, and ultimately the market.

Cell Phones will blend with modern handheld consoles (and Tablets/laptops to a lesser degree) to become one mushy unit but the power of processing alone will distinguish traditional PCs/Laptops from much of the App Store schlock.
Consoles...will never replace PCs. Just due to practical (and now, LEGAL, thanks Sony!) limitations alone they never will.

Moviebob should stick to being a movie enthusiast/comic fanboy, if I wanted real insight into PC gaming I'd watch Extra Credit.

Also get original ideas... This topic was already touched on in Extra Credit, and a few weeks later bob made a whole video out of it... good job.

I'm going to take one last stab and say... speaking of dieing media types, comics,
if I wanted to get a comic I would have to travel hours to my local major city and go to the one specialty shop that actually still sells them... Not even news agencies carry that crap anymore.
-Oh sorry I forgot Kinukuniya Books also carries some comics and visual novels but I rarely ever see people in that section.

You must not listen to anything Yahtzee says in his reviews, articles, or directly to you in the joint article you guys wrote-

MOTION CONTROLS CAN'T AIM WORTH SHIT.

If we really are moving towards a centralized hub for all things electronic, I'll simply home-build a PC with which to float the now "open-er" Consoles operating systems and let them scream not "HAX!" but "COMPUTER! HE'S USING A COMPUTER!"

And the good times shall role.

Doug:

Generic Gamer:
In addition I'd like to thank Moviebob for using his normal argument technique:

"If you disagree with me it's because you're bad, not because I may be wrong."

I have to admit, I've got off MovieBob over the last year, which is a shame as I used to like the GameOverthinker. This is partly the reason.

I actually like the Game Overthinker videos but I hate how he stereotypes his opponents. It's kind of like 'here's my opinion and I may be wrong...but if you say so you're a homophobic jock'. Frankly I don't (as horrible as it sounds) think he's a particularly nice guy, if I was around him I think I'd dislike him.

Did anyone else remember when there was like 1.5 million people on steam max. Now its spiking at 3.5 a day. Hmm...

There are 5 reasons why I like PCS

Modding Capabilities
Graphical Updatability
Multitasking
Fucking Keyboard with a Mouse
And MINEEEEECRAAAAAAFTTTTTTTTTTT

loc978:
Honestly, I think the next wave (if corporate greed will allow it or hackers will make it despite corporate greed) is really the integration of what we think of as "consoles" into PC hardware. PCs are modular technology, they can process any code you want 'em to. Consoles are too limited to survive in the face of that.

You also have ideas like OnLine which is hampered by the state the internet is in more than the technology available. I don't think PC gaming it dead but I do agree that it is changing. The big downside to the future seen here is mammoth market fragmentation that will eclipse the mess seen before the 1983 gaming crash.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here