Mortal Kombat Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

ace_of_something:

Saelune:

ace_of_something:

You realize they don't say that because it SPOILS the story, right?

No. It doesnt. It was a stated fact way before it came out, and if you played MK1-7 you would know that. AND the opening movie of story mode shows the end results of Armaggeddon. It is only a spoiler for new people. I assure you, there are some major spoilers I could give that even as a huge MK fan was surprised by.

So your logic is that if you read reviews beforehand and played all the other games it doesn't spoil?
It doesn't specifically say in the opening cutscene that the events occurring are after Armageddon all you see is ol' funny hat being beaten up. It also DEFINITELY does not say what 'he must win' means and up until a certain point in the story it's reasonable for anyone who hasn't played much MK to think that 'he must win' means exactly what Raiden thinks it does.

Actually I did not even know who he meants, nor did I say who now that I know or even suggest it. And it is not wrong to assume people know what happens in a series. Hell, people who jump late into a series often require spoilers or else its all confusing babble.

Susan Arendt:

Azmael Silverlance:
I thought it was a bit weird that a woman was reviewing the game.

Uh, why? Admittedly, my fighting game tastes tend more toward the Guilty Gear/Blazblue realm,

As someone who loves the crap out of guilty gear/blazblue I got to ask, how does this game compare?

I'm looking to get into other fighters but the last one I tried (street fighter 4) was a disappointment.

Sinclose:

HK_01:
snip

Strangely enough though, the vast majority of the blood and gore are cut off in story mode. There aren't even fatalities in that, because they need the characters alive.

I'm perplexed by that, they managed to work Fatalities into Shaolin Monks. It'd be a an opportunity to educate us on the basics

Nurb:
Babalities, animalities, and friendships embarassing? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??

Who knows? I'm surprised most folks forget that those were Midway's methods of appealing to the fans/making fun of the controversy around the Mortal Kombat name. I still applaud them for making fun of the nay-sayers like that.

Vanguard_Ex:
Agreed on the God-forsaken fatalities. In training, yeah cool. In actual fights, my character just dances around a bit then throws a simple punch. Why won't you fucking work, dammit?!

You have to be fast. You input those commands too slowly, or in the wrong location, you won't get anything. Try holding down Block while you input your directions, then let go before the action button press if you have trouble.

ace_of_something:

Saelune:
No. It doesnt. It was a stated fact way before it came out, and if you played MK1-7 you would know that. AND the opening movie of story mode shows the end results of Armaggeddon. It is only a spoiler for new people. I assure you, there are some major spoilers I could give that even as a huge MK fan was surprised by.

So your logic is that if you read reviews beforehand and played all the other games it doesn't spoil?
It doesn't specifically say in the opening cutscene that the events occurring are after Armageddon all you see is ol' funny hat being beaten up. It also DEFINITELY does not say what 'he must win' means and up until a certain point in the story it's reasonable for anyone who hasn't played much MK to think that 'he must win' means exactly what Raiden thinks it does.

I have to disagree on your argument, ace. That fight takes place atop the Armageddon pyramid, with the panning camera shots showing everyone besides Shao Khan and Raiden dead around it. Sure, going in blind you wouldn't know what that was, but here's my counter for that argument.

- Any gamer with even minutes of spare time can research the Mortal Kombat series, and find out what happened up to that point, and get some idea of why things are going to hell so hard. Also, since this Mortal Kombat is a reboot, you're not really spoiling much by looking up the stories of the old games.

I've done this with other series I jumped into late, such as Fallout and Morrowind, even when I plan to play those games later on. It's not a deal-breaker to not research things like this, but knowing that the series has a long history, if I was new to MK, and heard that this game was a reboot, I would surly want to know what had happened and why upon seeing this opening.

voetballeeuw:
I really enjoy this game. It's actually the first fighter game I've played with any continuity, and it's great. It's quite easy to just pick up a controller and start playing. The story mode is a good amount of fun. My only problem are the 1v2 fights which can be ridiculous.

god this a thousands times i loathed the goro kintaro fight

AgentBJ09:

I have to disagree on your argument, ace. That fight takes place atop the Armageddon pyramid, with the panning camera shots showing everyone besides Shao Khan and Raiden dead around it. Sure, going in blind you wouldn't know what that was, but here's my counter for that argument.

- Any gamer with even minutes of spare time can research the Mortal Kombat series, and find out what happened up to that point, and get some idea of why things are going to hell so hard. Also, since this Mortal Kombat is a reboot, you're not really spoiling much by looking up the stories of the old games.

I've done this with other series I jumped into late, such as Fallout and Morrowind, even when I plan to play those games later on. It's not a deal-breaker to not research things like this, but knowing that the series has a long history, if I was new to MK, and heard that this game was a reboot, I would surly want to know what had happened and why upon seeing this opening.

I guess I'm old. If I want to get into a series I tend to almost always start at the beginning.
Though in a fighting game series that would be silly. So perhaps you're right. My only qualm was with the 'but raiden only THINKS...' part of the above Saelune's post.
They need to remake/use the same concept as Shaolin Monks. That was hella fun to play with my old roomie.

Actually looks very good, I think I just might go out and g-- oh right, Australia. I forget that my fragile convict mind is just one violent videogame away from snapping into a murderous rage.

Well that's a pain, it sounds like it exceeded expectations.

ace_of_something:
I guess I'm old. If I want to get into a series I tend to almost always start at the beginning.
Though in a fighting game series that would be silly. So perhaps you're right. My only qualm was with the 'but raiden only THINKS...' part of the above Saelune's post.
They need to remake/use the same concept as Shaolin Monks. That was hella fun to play with my old roomie.

Technically speaking, I can understand why Raiden had the misconception: He received those visions during the tenth tournament from the first game. He had no idea what was going on, even if the player did.

Still, Shaolin Monks was a spectacular game. I miss that thing, and I want it for my 360, even if Deadly Alliance doesn't work on it.

I'm waiting for my copy, it's an a covert mission through the Australian borders at the moment and should be here shortly.

First game I've been genuinely hyped for and buying on launch since... Metal Gear Solid 3 I believe. It's been looking like it's everything I was hoping for. I didn't think the Mortal Kombat series would ever be this good again and I'm really glad it's come back to pop culture and has new products being made. Sure the newer 3D games weren't bad, but they just never clicked properly to me and it always felt like they were lacking.

Eldarion:

As someone who loves the crap out of guilty gear/blazblue I got to ask, how does this game compare?

I'm looking to get into other fighters but the last one I tried (street fighter 4) was a disappointment.

It's probably closer to Street Fighter than it is BB but it's still an awesome game. Best game in the series by a country mile and, if the character designs were better (ugh. Sonya) and the controls were a little friendlier to non-MK sticks it'd be damn near perfect.

That being said, while I much prefer MK's button input over street fighter (not a 360 in sight thank god) the presence of a block button in a 2d fighter is and has always been, dumb.

By the way Susan, Sub-Zero's move makes him crush the liver. Just letting you know (Wiki is my friend)

And my friend brought over the game. It took 12 times to beat Shao Kahn, since he is broken as hell in story mode (I'm not sure in versus). The X moves are easy to do, which is enjoyable. And the One v Two matches are hell. But the game is fun, and I'm not even good at fighter games. I can't even do Juri's special, which pisses me the hell off >.<

the video supplement is messed up for me. i hear her but the video just cuts out. It has been doing this for all reviews but other vids such as zp are fine.

Oh Susan, I've missed your reviews, always so entertaining :D I might pick this up for summer so me and the boyfriend can work through our issues with bloody, bloody violence.

Dukenstein:
There are a few unbalanced characters online. I find Smoke, Scorpion and even Sub-Zero really cheap. The first two more than the third. They are the noob characters of the game with really really really easy moves. Sub-Zero just pisses me off because his play style is so easy to get abused against. An in all, it's good. Also, be prepared to face very very very cheap players in ranked games, they will do anything to win. I/e spam one move.

Oh, that's obvious in on-line games. Believe me, I spent some time playing games like BlazBlue on-line, and I fought my share of Jin's spamming Ice Car over and over again. Fortunately, even the cheap moves have the way to get around them, so a little training and those spammers will become an easy W.

Very good rewiew. End made me laugh :D
I'm not a big fan of fighter games (cause I suck at them), but I always had a soft spot for Mortal Kombat. I tried it and I can honestly say that after a few years of devs not really knowing what to do with the series, this one finally sets things straight. It's accessible enough for noobs like me, while experienced players can still kick my ass with a single combo :D Fatalities are easier to pull off, since you can pause the game and check proper button sequence, Krypt is back, challenge tower is fun and laughs are guaranteed.

Now If I only had a dollar for every time I said "Aaaaaaawwww, damn that's nas-AAAAAAAAAWWWWW MAAAAAAN" I could probably buy the game immediately. But I'll have to wait until the price drops :(

Mortaaaaal Kombaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Sorry, had to do it.

As someone who is currently sadly living far away from friends with gaming interests, is the game also fun enough on your own to warrant a sale? Maybe using an online mode or something?
I remember loving soul calibur untill I had noone to play against, that quickly stopped that :{

Or is there even the very unlikely chance a non-gamer girlfriend (well she likes zelda and enslaved :P) might be into this?

AgentBJ09:

Vanguard_Ex:
Agreed on the God-forsaken fatalities. In training, yeah cool. In actual fights, my character just dances around a bit then throws a simple punch. Why won't you fucking work, dammit?!

You have to be fast. You input those commands too slowly, or in the wrong location, you won't get anything. Try holding down Block while you input your directions, then let go before the action button press if you have trouble.

I always do the block thing but to no avail. Guess I'll have to try doing them faster...which is no simple job on the xbox controller, these things are so shitty for fighting games.

God damn Shao Kahn is cheap!

But this game is awesome :) Best fighting game ever, I don't care what you say! I Can't hear you LALALALA :D

I have no intention of getting MK (it's just not my thing). I just watched the review becasue Susan's reviews are just fucking entertaining as hell. X)

Terrible video review. If the game does a good job of teaching you (and it doesn't - for example there's no mention of the game having considerable negative edge) then you should know how to do a 'damn fatality'.

The character models are not ugly, but the game isn't balanced. Teleport moves are ridiculous. Some characters, Ermac, Kung Lao and Raiden, are overpowered compared to others (sheeva for instance is useless).

The story mode is an itneresting idea but having to change characters all the time makes it hard to learn how to play, especially against an increasingly difficult ai. Shao Khan is piss poor game design at it's piss poorest: his moves are sickeningly overpowered (even on block) and his random immunity from any damage (which all the bosses have) is clumsy. MK has never had smart game design in this regard and NRS prove again, throughout this game, they are good conceptually, not so good at execustion. You also cannot skip the cutscenes, some of which are long.

Fortunately the fighting is pretty solid and not too complicated. But don't hold out for a decent training mode or tutorial. The training mode is not up to much and the AI, as it is throughout the game, is terrible; it reads your inputs and cheats. The tutorial has to be played in it's entirety and you can't select which part to relearn. It also teaches you very little and there is no character specific tutorial or training system.

Challenge Tower starts off quite fun, but quickly becomes massively irritating. Some of the challenges (fighting upside down, fighting while your character slows to the point of unplayability, unbalanced matches) are just ridiculous and the reward is trivial. It isn't a good way to learn the game nor was it intended as such. You can spend Koins (SP mode rewards) to skip tower episodes however.

Koins can also be spent to unlock kontent in the Krypt. However 70% of this content is utter rubbish. YOu will find alternate fatalities (each character has 2 fatalities, a babality, and a stage specific command) and a second costume. That's it. The rest is pictures of characters and areans as well as arena music. Useless.

All the characters are not unlocked from the start either.

However, on balance the singleplayer is worthwhile, if you can stomach the appalling AI. Graphically it's rich. However the vaunted x ray moves are too powerful, way too powerful, and combo breakers shouldn't require 2 bars of special meter. The controls for using enhanced moves are too fiddly as well.

However the biggest problem with the game, which potential customers must consider, is the online. It's broken, plain and simple. Not only does it contain the poorest netcode in any fighting game, the interface is the most badly designed ill suited mess i've yet come across, it looks like something intended for the pc. There are no options to filter your search, matchmaking doesn't work, the lobby system is terrible, the hyped up KoH mode is a lagfest where you cannot limit the number of people that can join - and peopel can join from anywhere in the world, so if you have a lobby called 'UKONLY', and set up a KoH from players within, players outside using the Player Search option can still jion.

NRS have issued a glib and feeble statement claiming 'unanticipated complications' that have surfaced in the online experience, while also claiming millions of matches are initiated every day. This is just toss. The game doesn't work and wasn't anywhere near ready for release. Yet another broken game for multiplayer fans to mourn. They say they are going to fix things over the next two weeks, but no word on how, when, or what they even think needs fixing. Not only that but the preorder codes don't work properly (retro alternate costumes).

The bottom line: if NRS know what's wrong and are caopable of fixing it (which is going to require no less than a complete redesign of the entire online system), then why did it get released this way? I don't hold out much hope. Brink is out in a fortnight, I guess I'll be trading my copy in.

Overall: gutted.

strangeotron:
snip

Just a few things.

It's not a terrible video, it's a reviewer with a different opinion than you (that's what reviews are).

I actually thought switching between characters helped me learn. The tutorial teaches you the basics, I don't know any fighter that has a specific tutorial for each character. Why would you need one? Play the tutorial and learn the basics. Next play story mode where you'll play as most f the characters and you'll get an idea of which characters you like and learn how to play as them. There's also a practice mode where you can just pick a character and dick around for awhile. Look at the moves list and try them. Or would you prefer a tutorial mode where the game just holds your hand and makes you play through the moves list in order? You don't need a tutorial for each individual fighter. I loved how unbalanced Shao Kahn was, reminded me of the old days. Now I can beat him with relative ease though.

How does the AI read your input and cheat? Any support for that claim? I'm pretty sure I'd have found the game much harder if that were true. Honestly a lot of this is just sounding like you're complaining because you found the game too hard, no offence (that probably makes me sound like a dickhead).

I'm still finding the challenge tower fun. No point arguing over that though, fun is subjective. A lot of them do teach you more, or at least force you to learn. Some teach you characters' special moves (teaching) others do things like taking away your supermoves making you rely on combos (forcing you to learn).

For enhanced moves just press block at the end of the combo... I don't see how that's too fiddly. One extra button that your finger is probably hovering over already.

EDIT: Shao Kahn has no immunity to any damage. What happens is you have to time it right to interrupt his attacks. But even if he isn't knocked back, watch his healthbar, he is losing just as much health.

Susan Arendt:

Sinclose:
Good review, but I thought the reason why the 10th tournament is very important is because it requires ten consecutive wins to invade another realm, and their main enemy has already won 9 successive times? Also, babalities are still in the game. Dunno about the others though.

I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I gotta say, all the info I saw about the game caught my interest.

Ah, perhaps you're right about why the 10th is so fired-up important. The thing about the babalities is now MK has a very wink-and-a-nod feel to it. It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

I think it's exactly the right attitude for fighting games. They're, in a sense, an arcade relic--from days when games didn't need a "story" or a "point," but were simply designed to keep the quarters coming.

Some fighting games tend to take the story too seriously, and it just makes them feel unintentionally goofy. Why, if so much is riding on the outcomes of these fights, are only two people fighting at a time? How'd they get everyone to agree on rules like time limits or "best of 3?" It just reads as forced... so why not embrace it?

Others try to take the technique a bit too seriously, and bog down in nigh-impossible combos with far too steep a learning curve. Killer Instinct kind of started this, but even that game had a good mix of humor and user-friendliness (what with all the guides floating around). Games like this can become an exercise in rote repetition, in which each player is essentially ignoring the opponent and just focusing on the super ultra awesome mega combo.

Mortal Kombat has taken awhile to get the balance right, but they've usually had the right goal in mind: Get people to the action. Give them excuses to fight, not so much reasons. Give them crazy stuff to do to each other, give them ways to learn the tricky bits, and then get the hell out of the way.

(I'm glad to see that some of the gore animations have finally improved. Those never seemed quite as "silly" as they did "cheap" in the past.)

Spot1990:

strangeotron:
snip

Just a few things.

It's not a terrible video, it's a reviewer with a different opinion than you (that's what reviews are).

I actually thought switching between characters helped me learn. The tutorial teaches you the basics, I don't know any fighter that has a specific tutorial for each character. Why would you need one? Play the tutorial and learn the basics. Next play story mode where you'll play as most f the characters and you'll get an idea of which characters you like and learn how to play as them. There's also a practice mode where you can just pick a character and dick around for awhile. Look at the moves list and try them. Or would you prefer a tutorial mode where the game just holds your hand and makes you play through the moves list in order? You don't need a tutorial for each individual fighter. I loved how unbalanced Shao Kahn was, reminded me of the old days. Now I can beat him with relative ease though.

How does the AI read your input and cheat? Any support for that claim? I'm pretty sure I'd have found the game much harder if that were true. Honestly a lot of this is just sounding like you're complaining because you found the game too hard, no offence (that probably makes me sound like a dickhead).

I'm still finding the challenge tower fun. No point arguing over that though, fun is subjective. A lot of them do teach you more, or at least force you to learn. Some teach you characters' special moves (teaching) others do things like taking away your supermoves making you rely on combos (forcing you to learn).

For enhanced moves just press block at the end of the combo... I don't see how that's too fiddly. One extra button that your finger is probably hovering over already.

It's a review that makes comments that are erroneous.
You can learn somethings from the stor mode, obviously. But it isnt best served as a tutorial at all. For instance when you fight as Kung Lao, having to face both Quan Chi and Shang Tsung is a bit of a trial by fire.

The AI is programmed to act in direct response to your input as part of processing your input. IOW: it's like trying to outrun your own reflection. Of course there's a margin of error, but that depreciates as you set the difficulty higher. It's a flawed means of teaching the player. It cheats by doing things you can't, such as recovering into wakeup moves far quicker.

The challange tower is fun, but as it increases the difficulty gets ridiculous and the requirements less fun. If i'm getting frustrated trying to play upside down then i'm not having fun.

Enhanced moves require that I press the trigger simultaneously with the button for the move. IT's awkward requiring the player press the trigger and button at the same time. That's not a comfortable move with console contriollers.

strangeotron:
snip

No it doesn't. Well except for all characters being unlocked at the start. You do have to unlock Cybe Sub-zero and Quan Chi.
I haven't noticed any instance of the AI readin my moves and using that to cheat. Do you have evidence of it?

I said some of the modes teach you. Things like unbalancing the opponent are challenges, that's why they're in the challenge tower. Complaining that the challenge tower is too challenging is silly. I find it fun. You didn't, as I said there's no point arguing over that.

Pressing a R2/Right trigger with an action button is an incredibly simple move. Your thumb is already hovering over the action buttons, you're index or middle finger is over the trigger. It's literally as simple as bringing your thumb and index finger together. It's the same action you make in many games where you lock on to an enemy and attack. The triggers are designed to be easy to use simultaneously with the action buttons. That's why they are where they are. That's why shoulder buttons have become the norm.

Yossarian1507:
Finally. I was really worried there would be no MK review at all.

So... Glad to hear it's good, but I have one important question - how's the balance? Is there any overpowered character, or one who you shouldn't even bother playing with? It's important to me, because every time I pick up a fighter, it turns out I'm taking the crappiest guy of the bunch (Anji Mito in GG, Tager in BlazBlue [although I managed to skill up with him, so at least I'm able to beat up my friends and sometimes even compete on-line], Rock in Soul Calibur III & IV etc.)

I would say the fast characters are ridiculously overpowered, if only because they can lock you in 10 hit+ combos. I'm mainly talking about online, though, and if you don't know how to get even a single hit on a fast character online then there's just no hope for you, period.(I'm looking at you, Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage). There's also slow but heavy fighters that don't really utilise combos, but instead block and dodge and move in for one or two powerful hits at a time. Every character is useful, though, because every character generally has some utility that can counteract the enemy. For example, you'd expect Stryker to be one of the worst (he sort of is, but i still play him anyway) but he has grenades to stop both high and low attacks, a ranged attack, and a dash-grapple which gives him good utility. He's big and slow though, so you need to make sure you time your baton twirls and uppercuts just right, because if they block it you leave yourself open to nasty retaliation.

I'd also like to point out that The Computer Is A Cheating Bastard is also back in full swing. The AI will manage to predict and block nearly every single attack, while following up with its own impossible to break out of combo that can sometimes turn a winning match with you at over 50% life and them at 10% life to a defeat within a few seconds. Also, Shao Kahn and Goro are unbelievably cheap. You can't block Shao Kahn's attacks, and neither him nor Goro stagger or have their attacks interrupted when you hit them, so you have to rely on cheap tactics like Scorpion's teleport to win on difficulties above Medium.

Susan Arendt:
It knows it's being silly and is just fine with that - exactly the right attitude for this series.

I didn't think the game or the series as a whole was trying to be camp or silly. I think there is a serious story in there, it just got lost under the two awfully bad movies that came out of it. As for the babalities, i think it was only 'winking and nodding' to past games. Specifically, Mortal Kombat 2 and 3. I also think this is in part due to the fighting system being most similar to MK3. I can see how it might appear so grindhouse, cheesy, and 'B-rated Kung fu movie' to be seen as silly, but that's not really how i hold the MK series. I'd say it was eccentric and over the top, but not camp.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the fatalaties are by far the easiest to pull off in the entire series. Very simple button presses ( Like right, down, right, down, kick ) and they give you almost quadruple the time you originally had to pull them off.

Spot1990:

strangeotron:
snip

No it doesn't. Well except for all characters being unlocked at the start. You do have to unlock Cybe Sub-zero and Quan Chi.
I haven't noticed any instance of the AI readin my moves and using that to cheat. Do you have evidence of it?

I said some of the modes teach you. Things like unbalancing the opponent are challenges, that's why they're in the challenge tower. Complaining that the challenge tower is too challenging is silly. I find it fun. You didn't, as I said there's no point arguing over that.

Pressing a R2/Right trigger with an action button is an incredibly simple move. Your thumb is already hovering over the action buttons, you're index or middle finger is over the trigger. It's literally as simple as bringing your thumb and index finger together. It's the same action you make in many games where you lock on to an enemy and attack. The triggers are designed to be easy to use simultaneously with the action buttons. That's why they are where they are. That's why shoulder buttons have become the norm.

how can i prove something in a video game? Just play against the AI in training mode and see for yourself. Watch how it manages to expertly time the exact counter at the exact moment you act over and over, only acting when you do. You can't play like that it's ridiculous. Watch how quikcly it recovers into wakeup moves.

IO'm not complaining that the tower is challening. I'm complaining that it's needlessly frustrating. Fighting upside down is a challenge, but its a stupid challenge. It's poor game design, quick and lazy. It's not smart, it has no bearing on the storyline or anything other than what some lazy developer thought would be fun. All the cyrax challenges are beyond stupid. I am not motivated to persist in a game that isn't fun and if they can't motivate me to play a game i'm interested in through decent gameplay then they have failed. I turned the difficulty down for Shao Khan because I just couldn't be bothered banging my head against a brick wall due to his appalling design.

Gralian:

I would say the fast characters are ridiculously overpowered, if only because they can lock you in 10 hit+ combos. I'm mainly talking about online, though, and if you don't know how to get even a single hit on a fast character online then there's just no hope for you, period.(I'm looking at you, Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage).

Sonya isn't one of the best characters. Cage is much better because he is very safe.

The real problems re characters like Ermac; his unblockable telekinetic grab thing is flat broken. I know why it's there (same with Demon Fire for scorpion), but this one is way too much.

Unfortunately characters like Ermac are just too powerful in the current laggy online. They get a free pass, especially Raiden with his superman slam which is completely absurd.

Its hard to be objective as a result of the crap netcode and ive given up more matches than ive complated because i'm not willing to sit through the kind of lag that gives the host (usually the person in the P1 position, i presume) a huge advantage and makes reacting and timing combos, and tech moves, impossible. Unfortunately I really don't see them being able to fix this mess.

I want to buy this game, but my local store has been out of supply for over a full god damn week!

This is the price I pay for living in a small island county in an even smaller town where it takes forever for shit to arrive :(

Hmm, maybe I'll pick it up cuz I always loved the MK silliness, but not at full price, 60$ on a fighting game... fucking insane.

Misses the fact that babalities are still in the game, apparently fails to understand the story if comments must be made on how the others were "important", no proper research in what characters are and aren't unlocked.

Me no likey this review.

Eldarion:

Susan Arendt:

Azmael Silverlance:
I thought it was a bit weird that a woman was reviewing the game.

Uh, why? Admittedly, my fighting game tastes tend more toward the Guilty Gear/Blazblue realm,

Completely different headspace required. Those games embrace the weird, and are fast-fast-fast. MK is less frenetic...it's Sylvester Stallone to Jet Li, if you will.

Does anyone else feel like they're back in the 90's? Right now I'm rockin' some Mortal Kombat and in a few months hopefully I'll be blasting space pigs in Duke Nukem. Then, to wrap up the year, I'll be driving around a demented ice cream truck in Twisted Metal.

Seriously, I think I just hopped into my Delorean and hit 88.

Azmael Silverlance:

Susan Arendt:

Azmael Silverlance:
Well Susan i know you are a gamer and all....but just opening the Mortal Kombat review and hearing a female voice i dont know....
Your reaction to the fatality was cute...but i guess thats the issue :D
Your not suppose to be all cute and cuddly in mortal kombat...id expect F bombs and disturbing comments about how you gona pwn your opponent :D

I am always cute and cuddly. It cannot be helped! Well, except when playing Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars...then I scare my dog.

So....your dog is not bothered by guts and broken bones....but LEGO cubes and his owner freak him out? o.O

She gets upset when I yell, because she knows that means mommy is mad. And Lego Clone Wars made me yell. A lot.

This is the game that finally made me feel like an adult. I watched all of the fatalities on YouTube and just thought "huh, yup, that's some fatalities right there". There was none of the "awww, cooooooooool!" sort of reaction that I had as a kid watching the early entries in the series.

That said: it looks like a great game if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not particularly (and, yes, that's because I'm completely incompetent at them) but no doubt my brother's gonna be raving about it.

Regarding the AI cheating :
As sub-zero, or Cyber Sub Zero, the AI will only ever hit your ice clone if it was mid-jump toward you. I know as a player I can't always stop myself in time, but the AI can.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here