Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 22 NEXT

Please make these videos go away. I almost got through this one though!

Good Lord...objectification of either gender is wrong and should be taken seriously. I know we're not "wired" to be socially conscious or even remotely caring about the issues that affect the world around us...but COME ON!!! Why is this guy still here? We had a nice week without him...can't we go back to that?

I'm glad people are putting their opinion on the shows, amazing this has hit 14 pages already. Goes to show that there is something worth yammering about his show after all eh?

Jokes aside, yeah, I'm not quite sure what he's trying to do either. I'm not finding him funny, and if he's trying to make a point he should spend more time directly making it rather than filling it with fluff. Strange, posting his videos on a website like this, because a lot of the topics here have been covered at length. His stuff posted on other websites (like the youtube posts on some earlier pages) and his ranting on piracy on kotaku seemed pretty valid, and even represent a change in shift of his stance due to circumstances (I think it was the Crysis 2 leak). I think these would do better here.

Im pretty suprised this even got a second episode. People clearly dont like this guy

Oh Jimmy, I almost forgot to mention how you were also "inspired" by that rant by Steve from "Couplings" a few years back. Thought no-one would notice did we? VERY naughty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGK2fplV_w

It's around 4:25. I wouldn't call it ripping off though, maybe more of a gesture to the american audience who had to endure the travesty that was the american remake. To remake the jokes so the yanks can share the laughter is a noble endeavor truly.

millertime059:

MatsVS:
A different, perhaps more radical, solution:

How 'bout we objectify no one, and only place men or women in revealing clothing when it is tangential to exploring their character and/or fits their cultural/geographical background. You know, as in good storytelling that is inclusive and realistic at the same time.

ninjas man, get you every time ;)

Thanks for being one of the few people to actually notice the point though. you are 100% correct.

So, uh, both of you failed your parody identification test.

That said, I don't like this show. This episode was a vast improvement of the last one (I actually got through the whole thing this time!), but it was still quite poor quality. Of course, it's extremely controversial, and therefore gets a lot of comments (and views), so I suspect it'll stick around for a while.

Rotting Corpse:
I find it amazing how this guy can talk for minutes on end without saying anything. Escapist, please stop paying this guy, this you guys above him. He's not funny, he doesn't make intelligent points, and he doesn't even say anything. He brings up the points without discussing them. That's twice now I haven't even been able to sit through his whole video.

pretty much this. i'd MUCH rather have a new season of "a good knights quest" or for Doraelous to come back rather than see this guy every week.

Hahahaha. Funny as. The answer though is honestly just to make it all optional.

tried to laugh, failed horribly, officially giving up on this

This guy is awesome. He tells it exactly how it is. There need to be more honest shows like his.

Has anyone explained homosexuality to Jim Sterling yet? He doesn't seem to realize it exists.

Also as a heterosexual male, i'm pretty sure i'm not hard-wired to objectify women. Sometimes I want to immerse myself in a game without having to suspend my disbelief that anyone could ever fight effectively in high heels.

No, straight men like to look at tits.

Kind of a bit stunned to visit the Escapist at work and find a big pair of boobs on the front page - nice, Escapist.

As for the show, I think it should just be a podcast. This guy just doesnt look comfortable in front of the camera and those glasses are bloody stupid looking; thats not an attack on him as Ive yet to see anyone truly suit those style of glasses. Also if it were to be a podcast the sound quality could perhaps be improved and I'd be more inclined to listen to the whole thing while doing other stuff as opposed to having to take time out and watch his antics for a few minutes.

I like the concept of the show but its just not suited for video.

Jim...he has a chance of being a person with really good points and ideas, but his delivery and handling of these issues is so ungodly poorly done. I really don't think hes intending to come off this way, he needs to take some tips from others on how to deliver material.

HankMan:
Jim looks too much like some televangelist in the show banner.
I suppose objectification for both genders isn't such a bad idea.

Oh
My
God

A comment from you that ISN'T a pun? :P

Anywhoo, I think all the nudity in games is just desensitising people, which is kind of a bad thing. In a while girls in games will have only small circles of fabric covering their nipples, and then fully naked breasts. Then the bikini bottom will get skimpier and the boobs will become even bigger, until ridiculous proportions.
The worst thing: it actually affects you outside of gaming as well.. whereas girls' boobs were first something elusive, it's now something that has to be paraded around..

I get that you'd only want attractive people in your game, and that's okay, really, but witcher-style sexualisation is just awful. I always feel like I'm one of a select few who actually want women with normal sized boobs in full plate armour.. It's not hard to make that look attractive

This is attracting all the hate back on the forums? The way people were talking I was expecting cumshots and rape jokes. This video is perfectly fine.

It would certainly be a shame if this series got cancelled because people thought Jim was a dick rather than because they made a judgement on how entertaining the videos are, because he really seems a decent sort of chap.

The actual presentation and delivery were a lot more succinct, but the episode itself just didn't do it for me. It built to one joke that I've heard far too often rather than anything genuinely witty or insightful, so overall it felt lacking. Execution was fine, concept less so.

Onyx Oblivion:

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

That's actually really good. I'd much like to see a show based more around the reviewing process and the relationship between games media and developers/publishers. I know Jim wrote an article on 'exclusive reviews' a while back that I enjoyed, so more videos based around giving us an insight into that would be awesome.

BlacklightVirus:
No, straight men like to look at tits.

As do bisexual men, bisexual women and lesbians. Hey, if we're pointing out inconsistency...

Irritating personality, to many unfunny cut away "jokes", and no originality. I'm rather new here I'll admit, but this guy seems horribly out of place when compared to the other content here.

cobra_ky:
Has anyone explained homosexuality to Jim Sterling yet? He doesn't seem to realize it exists.

I was going to say. "Um... women for men? Men for women? Pretty certain half those Devil May Cry fanarts are from gay fellas." As a bisexual (and I'm not flaunting that), this weird idea Jim has that "men are for women, women are for men," with seemingly no middleground whatsoever, is... baffling. I can't believe in doing research for this kind of video, he didn't once think, "hold on... pretty certain there are women that like tits, too."

Then again, he probably did think that, and thought it was TOO SEXIST!! ...god. I like the guy, he raises points well and I think he has his heart in the right place, but he's struggling with getting either to the core of the issues at hand, or articulating properly his otherwise valid arguments.

8bitlove2a03:
Nobody makes men sexy in gaming

Bullshit. Duke Nukem Forever was parroted throughout the entire thing and he's one of the most objectified men in gaming, if not the most.

Hilarious. But oh no what have you done o_0.
I'm all for equality aslong as there's a toggle. please let there be a toggle.....

Well this one is, terrible.
I hope you're joking.

Yeah I think I said in an earlier post that the presentation was much better this week.

While this is true, having rewatched it now, I think it blinded me to the fact that the content is pretty uninspired at best. Also his assumption that only men like women and women like men shows a lack of thought, but probably not deliberate homophobia.

I'll give him one more chance next week.

Knight Templar:
I hope you're joking.

And I hope you are.

People, this is pretty much the most obviously satirical viewpoint anyone on this site has ever had.

Father Time:

Zizzousa:
Well that was awful. What did it add on to Extra Credits' assessment of the issue? Nothing. And it was semi-offensive at points. Some things just can't be joked about; some can.

What did he joke about that you think should be off-limits in terms of taste?

Honestly I can't think of anything that sticks out so I'd like to know what you're talking about (not trying to accuse you of being thin skinned).

I'm on my way to uni, but I remember him defending Penny Arcade and there was a picture of a dog involving something to do with rape - though there's a new thread about him now, and most of the stuff in the OP sums up why the Jimquisition irritated me. Also, I probably do have a bit of a thin skin when it comes to jokes about women, especially women who play games - companies like Valve and Bioware make it seem like we're progressing, so in light of their advances any setback seems magnified (I think). At least that's the best theory I can come up with right now. Bus time!

Necromancer Jim:

Knight Templar:
I hope you're joking.

And I hope you are.

People, this is pretty much the most obviously satirical viewpoint anyone on this site has ever had.

He's made stranger claims straight faced in the past.

That said I do think it's a joke. It's just a very bad one.

Necromancer Jim:

This.

I'm somewhat glad the show's changed from the first one - less swearing, better sound quality, and he's got himself a podium so he can smash his fists to emphasise his point. It's an improvement the first one, for sure.

That being said, the MSPaint really stops the flow.

But, you know, you can't have everything. I'll keep watching for a while.

Zizzousa:

Father Time:

Zizzousa:
Well that was awful. What did it add on to Extra Credits' assessment of the issue? Nothing. And it was semi-offensive at points. Some things just can't be joked about; some can.

What did he joke about that you think should be off-limits in terms of taste?

Honestly I can't think of anything that sticks out so I'd like to know what you're talking about (not trying to accuse you of being thin skinned).

I'm on my way to uni, but I remember him defending Penny Arcade and there was a picture of a dog involving something to do with rape - though there's a new thread about him now, and most of the stuff in the OP sums up why the Jimquisition irritated me. Also, I probably do have a bit of a thin skin when it comes to jokes about women, especially women who play games - companies like Valve and Bioware make it seem like we're progressing, so in light of their advances any setback seems magnified (I think). At least that's the best theory I can come up with right now. Bus time!

Oh yeah the dog was saying "if you have a joke with the word rape in it you're a rapist".

Honestly I can defend PA a bit since the joke was not even about rape, it just had rape in there as a terrible thing happened (offscreen) to someone. Replace it with being beaten and it'd still be the same joke.

But now I'm getting off topic.

Definetly coming back for the next one!

Better. I guess.

I'm filing you under 'that drunk guy I met in the pub' though!

Thats it his done for, I would say it was nice knowing you Jim, but we both know we'd be lying.

If this week's video was a joke, it was a poor one.

Jim better pick it up, or I think I'll stop watching.

At first I thought this guy was a complete retard, until I realised this is probably irony.I still have no idea if he is serious. If this is all irony, the tits and lesbians on the thumbnails are a representation of the state of current gaming's sexuality, and the oversized sunnies are a jab at stereotypical maximum overmacho white male heroes, keep this show. If this guy is just what he shows, I dont wanna hear his voice again.

Ok gave him a second chance and still bad.
Done with this one

This show is boring. The guy has got no charisma. He isn't funny.
It's the counterpart to Top5!
...and to a lesser extent to everything else on the escapist. It's bad rep.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here