Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . . . 22 NEXT

I though it was ok, sometimes humerous. I've been watching him on youtube though and so far I've found those to be better all around. Maybe give him a bit more time.

Looking like a slut has never been sexy. I do not share his views.
May sound weird but I actually need to be able to respect the person I'm gonna stick it to in order to even get it up.

HankMan:
Jim looks too much like some televangelist in the show banner.
I suppose objectification for both genders isn't such a bad idea.

Objectification for both genders is a grand idea, as is objectification for all sexual preferences - I am rather partial for petite, effeminate males providing they aren't Camp Gay about it.

However, the way this guy presents that outlook just grates my teeth. Seriously, I think I'm getting toothache watching his videos.

The problem with this guy is he's swinging at every target, and he's missing every target. He can't do serious, informative stuff like Extra Credits, he's nowhere near as funny as Yahtzee and he has less charisma than your average NPC.

Also, if he makes a video to prove how 'cool' he is by 'doing a Yahtzee' and slagging off everyone who complains about him as complete retards, I am lodging formal complaints against the site.

Well thats four minutes of my life I'll never get back now, and all it seemed was that his message was "lets get everyone in games naked, yay!".

Think I'll pass on this for the future.

But btw guys, this is troll fuel so please, The escapist could flood with trolls very soon.

I like shock jock humor. This is good enough to stay.
This is not the best video series on this site, but it doesn't deserve to get booted.

And if you don't like it don't click the frelling link to the video!

Saw the two youtube ones in post 22 and decided to give him a strike 3.
Does this guy take his audience seriously ? I am seriously starting to wonder.
Perhaps the other sites he contributes to aren't as the escapist and he needs a seperate
atitude towards them.
Btw just because you claim to be a douchebag doesn't make it okay.
This might sound weird but he reminds me of jeremy clarkson without any flair.
a funny douchebag who everyone knows if a funny douchbag in the end is till funny.
This guy just comes over as someone who got punched in class too many times now found a way to vent. a regular , seen too many times regular "i think i know it and going to tell you kinda" douche
Anyways, going to watch nr 3 and hope for more of the youtube quality.
BTW stop with the boob & lesbian pics in your pics of your show.
You just degraded the entire comunity here *this isn't youtube, make a good show and you wont need those *wink wink*

Okay this one made me laugh. I will state that the first one wasn't as good but did bring up some good points. So did this one. If we're gonna be sexist, lets be sexist to both sexes XD Equal objectification!

All kidding asside, i think he's right. Mostly. Woman are always being objectified or ignored in games. If men were in bikinis like the women, we wouldn't see it as objectification. Don't believe me? Put the man in a bikini and the woman in full armor: It'll look like we're objectifying men.

But, i think i'd still prefer a range of "sexy" and "non-sexy" (what i mean is, characters that are "sexy" in different ways, not just the conventional, popular ways of today) characters who are well written and 3-dimensional.

After this second show I now understand that he is trying to be funny. Apparently there are people who seem to be entertained by this. I, for one, am not.

You Escapisteers do understand that, aside from some imported Japanese media, half-naked men are not put into games to arouse women, right? Kratos and Liu Kang aren't meant to "objectify" men, to use the limp, impotent counterargument everyone is trying to shoehorn into this. It's because shirtlessness = macho manliness.
We can at least cop to the fact that, when outside this little electronic box, all of us here are living in the real world, right?

Admiral Stukov:

I put it to you that we can't tell if we don't like something until we've seen it and that I wasn't about to judge an entire series by it's pilot episode alone. I figured that the first video might have just been a shaky start and he could have improved. He didn't. Quite the opposite actually.

Don't worry, I wont be clicking the link in future and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

GHudston:

Admiral Stukov:

I put it to you that we can't tell if we don't like something until we've seen it and that I wasn't about to judge an entire series by it's pilot episode alone. I figured that the first video might have just been a shaky start and he could have improved. He didn't. Quite the opposite actually.

Don't worry, I wont be clicking the link in future and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

Which of course is perfectly reasonable.
Saying, like some people here, that it should be removed because you don't like it isn't.

I realize that I've might been a bit unreasonable seeing as this is only the second video on this site.

JIM

BUY A NEW CAMERA! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

'Men like to look at tits.'

That explains the reason why people watch this shit.

I was gave Jim a second chance because I liked some of his destructiod stuff, but sadly this was crap, not as crap as last week though.

If the rate of improvement continues in about 3 years he might do something worth watching, sorry I am out.

Seen both of these now, not really that funny in my opinion, not compared to the other videos on this site. Better visuals so it's not just a guy ranting into the camera would help :-P

So, the point of the video wasn't to objectify both men and women so we don't take sexuality so personally like we do nowadays?... *sarcasm*

Sarcasm aside, it is obvious he is giving an opinion about how sexuality can be played in video games. Whether you like it or not is understandable, but to miss it completely is what I don't get. I too would find it very amusing if both men and women become objectified and I would really approve of it. Sure, I may cringe a little if men in video games started to look like Deviant Art Dante to Superbowl Sunday Husband, but it would become very amusing.

p.s. Sexuality has been talked about, but never in the form of objectifying both sexes. Usually just the "sterilizing" of both sexes.

Oh, dear Jim. Where to start.
The nature argument is a bit tacky. I mean, nature tells me I have to spread my gene material and I don't have to be fussy about how I go about it, which includes tactics on the somewhat rapey side. I'm not certain the 'hey, we're just like this' argument will help because you'll find that we often work to be a lot of stuff our genes may not be aiming for like civilization and that.

Objectification isn't the act of finding women attractive. It's assuming that all they're good for is being attractive. The problem isn't that the women are nude and the men are not. The problem is that the men get interesting designs and the women just get massive cleavage. Kinda shitty that girls don't have role models in gaming because every female character is basically designed with 'Tits or GTFO' as the theme.

I'll not be watching any future videos from this series. Extra Credits have already touched on these subjects and done so with intellegence and insight, not just flagerant "shock jock" tactics and purile levels of facetiousness. This program can only be bad for the image of video game culture. It belittles us.

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

Monocles, man. Monocles.

So yeah, I had the same idea a few years back, but never found the right way to express it. Thanks for saying what I always wanted to say Jim.

Good to see people are watching things they didn't like before, so they can tell us they didn't like it.

Freakin sounds like, Shinji in here.

Sorry, Jim, I've watched both episodes, and this just isn't my cup of tea. If you try anything else, though, like a written column or different type of show, I'd be interested in giving it a fair chance.

- constructive criticism: maybe change the backdrop to a picture of the city you are from or just a picture of yourself would work. If it is possible to edit in different pictures every 10 seconds or so, it could really liven up the "staleness" everyone seems to go on about.

To everyone going on and on about his past, lets leave it there and give him a fresh start and judge him on what he has brought to the Escapist thus far. Everyone has done things they may not be particularly proud of, but everyone deserves a second chance. I'm not condoning anything that Jim has said or written in the past, but I feel he deserves a clean slate.

Anyhow, best of luck to Jim and all his endeavors.

The Escapist already discussed this topic much, much better. So did the Game Overthinker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rTuKFkHIc

http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-32-I-Heart-Bayonetta

I disagree with some of TGO's points in the first video, but at least he actually knows what he's talking about. He's clearly actually thought about this in some depth and has put some work into his videos.

Jim's video... meh... I got the impression he was just ranting, without having actually thought of anything to say beyond "Everyone get naked!", his one (largely unfunny) joke.

This has been done much better elsewhere. He's less funny, less charismatic, less thoughtful and less incisive than MovieBob, Yahtzee and the Escapist. I just don't see why we should continue watching these. Maybe I'll watch the next one to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not holding my breath.

He's just fighting a losing battle. If he talked about something that nobody else was - maybe something to do with how games are reviewed or game-journalism tends - then maybe it'd actually be interesting.

Oh, and if he swore less. It's like he knows the videos are bad and is trying to prop them up with big, manly swears to make himself look butch. Please.

I actually ditested his first episode, but this one has warmed on me, he need to improve alot more though till the point i spam the refresh button for him like i do for the big picture and zero punctuation.

I thought the last episode was mehish. This one was a lot better.

A poor man's Charlie Brooker maybe but I laughed and it's at least delievered differently to all the ':D VIDEO GAMES ARE SOOOOOO COOOOOL AND SOOOOOO ARTY'. Not that they're bad, or wrong, but it's nice to have something different. And I love me some cynicism and irony.

I like the stand-up style delivery too.

No, Jim, men aren't hardwired to objectify women.
If that were so, all of us would be unlikable, sociopathic, barbaric, genocidal maniacs.

YOU objectify women, Jim. You do.

According to Jim, anyone who does not like him is a fucking moron and an elitist cunt.

https://twitter.com/#!/JimSterling

So can someone tell me what's wrong with the video? I found it fairly amusing.

How are people disputing men like women? we are living and breathing right now right? I guess objectification is the right word for our natural instinct, I very much doubt early humans sat down and chatted to their mate over a coffee at starbucks.

I think everyone missed the joke :p.

This guy sucks. He fails to express his arguments clearly, repeats himself, jumps around on topics, goes off on tangents, and in general sounds like a dick. Even with the sarcasm, he still just sounds like a bigoted, sexist and ignorant asshole. To me he seems like an entitled, immature ass hat, ranting about complex issues, with a very shortsighted and limited viewpoint and proposing stupid "solutions".

Onyx Oblivion:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.

Both of these videos are horrible. The first: he is talking about "12 year olds" wasting others time blah blah, yet playing video games at all is essentially a waste of time. Then he goes off on a random tangent about government's and Iraq, and then I zoned out.

The second: He essentially says you can't watch movies wrong therefore you cant play games wrong. Yet he has another video suggesting games are different from films. Quite a large contradiction... The context of all this does make it somewhat excusable but I'm just pointing it out. He does make some valid points, but in hindsight the video is of a guy ranting, whinging and being a twat because a developer didnt like his review. It's the wrong way to go about such matters.

dammit Jim since the show pretty much bombed over at DTOID you had to bring it here...Now you're started to act prime chancellor from V for Vendetta and we all know how that turned out. Jim you need to stop going for shock value and go for creating a decent rant that people can think about and relate too. Not some holier then thou uptight bullshit that makes you look even worse.

It's weird how a lot of the criticisms levelled against Jim are a lot of the reasons why everyone finds Yahtzee so funny. Apparently all it takes to be an internet sensation is to throw together a yellow-backgrounded PowerPoint presentation with your rant.

But I do love how everyone is rallying for this video series to be removed from the Escapist. Like it DIRTIES and TAINTS the very website just for being here. If you don't like it, don't watch it, his viewing figures will drop and The Escapist will pull it themselves.

But to be honest, if you don't like Jim but do like Yahtzee, then that's quite a big contradiction.

MiloP:

*snip*

But to be honest, if you don't like Jim but do like Yahtzee, then that's quite a big contradiction.

I like Yahtzee, dislike Jim (so far) but that isn't a contradiction. Yahtzee makes metaphors and similies, has visual humour and makes points (not all of which I agree with) about particular games in his videos. Jim's sense of humour (to my ears) is basically him getting mad and saying "fuck" and "fucking" a lot. No metaphors, no similies, no visual gags.

Yes, both have a crass style, both don't really seem to respect their audience (be this a part opf their character or genuine feeling, I don't care personally) however, for my proverbial money, Jim's subjects are (In my opinion) nothing new and not anything more than I could go to any message board and hear, compared to Yahtzee's game reviews.

Yes, Extra Credits does general gaming topics, but (again, my opinion) they rarely slap you in the face with the obvious, and manage to fit a lot of concepts into a 7-10 min video, whereas Jim lumbers around one concept for 4 mins.

I've watched a couple other of his vids and the two here. Personally, I'm out for now. If I hear the format has changed or improved, I might give it another try, but I'm fine for now. And no, this doesn't mean I'm calling for him to be removed,the site analytics will take care of that if enough people stop watching, otherwise, he'll be popular enough to stay, my opinion holds nothing as to wether he should/shouldn't be on the site.

TL:DR - It IS possible to like Yahtzee and not Jim without contradicting yourself.

erbkaiser:
According to Jim, anyone who does not like him is a fucking moron and an elitist cunt.

https://twitter.com/#!/JimSterling

Okay, I'm acting on my threat. I'm going to send complaints on this cuntsack as high up as I can get them.

Jim Sterling's Twitter feed has become incredibly obnoxious since he started doing Jimquisition. It's funny how he lambasts people for being defensive of PSN, but then spends the ENTIRE DAY making defensive tweets about Jimquisition critics, and only re-tweeting defenses from his flock of fanboys/girls.
Seriously Jim, stop being such a fucking baby.

Why the hell did I leave that on for 3 minutes?
On second thought why did I play the video in the first place?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here