Escapist Podcast: 004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

Pages PREV 1 2

theshadowcult:
I will take the Witcher 2's no tutorial (all the info you need is there btw... it just only triggers as you first do something) over too much tutorial any day.

Only time i found the tutorial of the Witcher 2 a pain is not telling me i needed quen to survive the dragon. I died twenty times there lol

Haha... really they should have just replaced all the pop-ups it doesn't give you time to read with one that said "WHEN IN DOUBT, SPAM QUEN" in capital letters :)

Kahunaburger:

theshadowcult:
I will take the Witcher 2's no tutorial (all the info you need is there btw... it just only triggers as you first do something) over too much tutorial any day.

Only time i found the tutorial of the Witcher 2 a pain is not telling me i needed quen to survive the dragon. I died twenty times there lol

Haha... really they should have just replaced all the pop-ups it doesn't give you time to read with one that said "WHEN IN DOUBT, SPAM QUEN" in capital letters :)

Or press a "press J, it stop the game and pop up your quest log, standard RPG codex with monster/character/place notion information, and the only place where you can read the tutorial pop up with out being creamed by the enemy".

Would have really helped. Especially at the beginning.

I would love these, if they didn't keep crashing after 2 or 3 minutes. D: I feel deprived!

MatsVS:
The Witcher 2 learning:

Oh, that guy hit me with a sword and I died. Should probably avoid that in the future. *Learns dodging*

Oh, I couldn't dodge all those three guys and they killed me, I should probably find a way to withstand their attacks. *Learns blocking*

Oh, I couldn't block all those attacks so they killed me, I should probably learn to balance my blocking and my dodging. *Learns to manage the vigour stat.*

Voilą, you are now ready to finish the entire game with the perfect amount of difficulty.

Or surpass all these steps with:
"Oh, what's this Quen sign?", ta-dah!

Could you guys do something about the volume? When people are talking, they sound all mumblily, and it is hard to hear what they are saying then all of a sudden there is a joke, and everyone laughs right after I have turned my speakers up to hear what is being said and I go deaf. I recognize this one you just moved and probably haven't gotten settled into the new office. But I noticed it with other podcast as well.

Outside of the sound problems, still enjoying the series. Gives me more incite into what you do as an editor.

ooooo also I have a question before I forget: Does reviewing games take a way from enjoyment of the games? From my own personal experience, I learned how to review movies and, as silly as it sounds, pro-wrestling matches from a technical stand point and that took away some enjoyment. And once I unlearned it, or learned how to turn it off and get back in the moment of the movie or match I found I was enjoying them again. So do you guys still enjoy playing games, or does it feel like a chore?

bdcjacko:
Could you guys do something about the volume? When people are talking, they sound all mumblily, and it is hard to hear what they are saying then all of a sudden there is a joke, and everyone laughs right after I have turned my speakers up to hear what is being said and I go deaf. I recognize this one you just moved and probably haven't gotten settled into the new office. But I noticed it with other podcast as well.

Outside of the sound problems, still enjoying the series. Gives me more incite into what you do as an editor.

ooooo also I have a question before I forget: Does reviewing games take a way from enjoyment of the games? From my own personal experience, I learned how to review movies and, as silly as it sounds, pro-wrestling matches from a technical stand point and that took away some enjoyment. And once I unlearned it, or learned how to turn it off and get back in the moment of the movie or match I found I was enjoying them again. So do you guys still enjoy playing games, or does it feel like a chore?

Great question - send it into podcast@escapistmag.com so we can consider including it in an upcoming episode.

As for the volume issues, we literally unpacked the studio Friday morning, so it's a bit of a miracle it worked at all. We'll do our best to figure out the volume issues, though - we're definitely aware and appreciate you bearing with us.

Mikeyfell:

The Escapist Staff:
004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

This week we discuss The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, plus: How much tutorial is too much - or too little?

Watch Video

Please listen from 38:39 to 38:52.
Do it more than once.

CHANGE THE MODERATION RULES!

I'm sick and tired of getting reprimanded by moderators for typing what I think

Well, no. In the same way people aren't going to just let you run around the kitchen saying horrible things or just talking nonsense non-stop, we have to impose the same kind of rules of conduct here.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Great question - send it into podcast@escapistmag.com so we can consider including it in an upcoming episode.

As for the volume issues, we literally unpacked the studio Friday morning, so it's a bit of a miracle it worked at all. We'll do our best to figure out the volume issues, though - we're definitely aware and appreciate you bearing with us.

Just thinking out loud and still realizing you guys unpacked, plugged in and started pod-casting, completely understand that. Just wondering, do you have someone engineering the sound as you go, is that even um...practical for your set up?

(This is now just pure tangent and me thinking even more out loud)
I wonder if there is a market for critics of critics...That might be fun to do.

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Just thinking out loud and still realizing you guys unpacked, plugged in and started pod-casting, completely understand that. Just wondering, do you have someone engineering the sound as you go, is that even um...practical for your set up?

Yes, we do.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Yes, we do.

Wait, not to be dumb, but you are saying yes we do to having someone engineer the sound as you go, not saying you want a critic critic right?

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Yes, we do.

Wait, not to be dumb, but you are saying yes we do to having someone engineer the sound as you go, not saying you want a critic critic right?

The former, yes. We have plenty of critics, already, I assure you. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't tell us we're doing it wrong.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

Yes, we do.

The former, yes. We have plenty of critics, already, I assure you. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't tell us we're doing it wrong.

See, that is what you are doing wrong, you didn't I would tell you what you are doing right. I would give you a complement sandwich. I would start off saying I like how you guys talk about kittens. I don't like how you talk about half kittens that makes me sad. I do like how you talk about exploding horses that makes me chuckle.

Susan Arendt:

Mikeyfell:

The Escapist Staff:
004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

This week we discuss The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, plus: How much tutorial is too much - or too little?

Watch Video

Do it more than once.

Well, no. In the same way people aren't going to just let you run around the kitchen saying horrible things or just talking nonsense non-stop, we have to impose the same kind of rules of conduct here.

I'm not suggesting the forums go un-moderated but in threads that are intended to stir up controversy stating or defending an opinion should not be met with punishment.

Controversial topics spawn heated arguments.
Banning everyone who feels like fighting for their side isn't a good policy

Mikeyfell:

Susan Arendt:

Mikeyfell:

Do it more than once.

I'm not suggesting the forums go un-moderated but in threads that are intended to stir up controversy stating or defending an opinion should not be met with punishment.

Controversial topics spawn heated arguments.
Banning everyone who feels like fighting for their side isn't a good policy

We don't ban everyone who fights for their side, we ban people who break the rules. If you can't argue your point of view without resorting to personal attacks, then perhaps you shouldn't be arguing in a public forum.

Of course, if you ever think you've been moderated unfairly (it happens), then that's why we have an appeal system.

@Mikeyfell, you know there is a difference between saying something not everyone agrees with in a news piece or featured article or video and attacking someone on the forum. Having a different opinion is not trolling. That is why people get mod wraith for trolling. Not because they have a good argument.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here