Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Clipclop:

uguito-93:

Clipclop:

thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.

I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.

*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.

uguito-93:

Clipclop:

uguito-93:

I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.

*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.

Ah ah ah, don't you even dare start that slippery slope. I thought the "game" itself was mediocre and that the old one was far more imaginative. By the time i was nearing the end of the game I was completely rushing it because i was completely out of damns to give. Just because I praise a part of the game you obvoiusly lack skill at doesn't mean I'm defending the game in a whole.

Thats literally like me saying your completely bullheaded about the "sluggishness" of the control only because you love yahtzee so much and will do whatever to agree with him. Every review of this game I've come across praises unanimously the absolute responsiveness and streamline perfection that ARE the controls. And i will absolutely agree. I still think you have no gaming skills.

Loved the original even with the crappy pc controls and sequel solid! The game is not about boss fights ...obviously since there are none. Its about story! Though boss fights be a good DLC add-on!

Yahtzee sounds like he gained 200 pounds.

Clipclop:

uguito-93:

Clipclop:

Ah ah ah, don't you even dare start that slippery slope. I thought the "game" itself was mediocre and that the old one was far more imaginative. By the time i was nearing the end of the game I was completely rushing it because i was completely out of damns to give. Just because I praise a part of teh game you obvoiusly lack skill at doesn't mean I'm defending the game in a whole.

Thats literally like me saying your completely bullheaded about the "sluggishness" of the control only because you love yahtzee so much and will do whatever to agree with him. Every review of this game I've come across praises unanimously the absolute responsiveness and streamline perfection that ARE the controls. And i will absolutely agree. I still think you have no gaming skills.

Who knows? maybe my friend just had a messed up version or had turned the sensitivity down and i apologies for misinterpreting your overall opinion of the game. As to always agreeing with yahtzee i do recall disagreeing with most of his complaints regarding the mass effect series. And while it is true that i have never gotten past the second boss in Demon's souls I am still satisfied with my skill level.

Its Yantzee he is got cold again.

In any case this review was actually good,it started on how the first game was meh with poor controlling and it pointed out that despite the second being fixed, its not a better game but it has some pretty empty envrioments, add the jokes here and there, and that was a nice review.

I dont see why people say he hated the game, atleast not in this review.

I think this is most fair review to date. I got it and had fun with it, it looks amazing. All of his gripes were substantiated too.

That forced chuckle at the end almost caused me to spit soda on my laptop. Glorious.

XxDuSaNxX:
I really liked the game, but hey, Yahtzee hates everything xD

Shadows of the Colossus says he just wants amazingness. :P

----Nothing to do with the quote above----

The way he reviews is right up my jaded-gamer ally. If he gives a game a green light, there's an excellent chance I'll pick it up. (And yeah, the opposite if he bashes it) I know to some, it will seem like I'm missing "an okay game", but I don't have $60 bucks to waste on every "okay game" on the market right now. Nor do I have the determination. I've grown bored of games that do basically the same thing with a different tweak to the dynamic. So I ask everyone not to try and recommend me a game that fits a mold too well. ' -'

octafish:
New Mic? Anyway, American McGee has pretty much said himself that the game is a bit of fanservice and that he wants to get back to making the next Farmville or grindfest MMO or Angry Birds or whatever he is doing in Shanghai. I am not being facetious by the way, he has stated that core gaming is a dying business and the future is in social media games.

A shame, I did like Scrapland, and the original Alice.

EDIT: Ouch just checked the Brisvegas weather. It's almost as cold as down here in Melbourne.

core gaming a dying thing? since when? I really dont see how that makes sense since they are pretty much completley different products,

I mean mabye core gaming would have more "socail gaming elements" but I mean no one is trading the AAA experience for angrey birds

anyway I bourght this game knowing it would be less than perfect, just because it was somthing a little different to most of whats on offer thease days

Chris Sandford:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...

Exactly, not quite high pitched enough. It was really off putting, please go back to your normal video voice Yahtzee.

Genixma:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

It's Winter in Australia...

The credits joke made me cringe for a while......also we want your old voice back!! Fix the cold!

Does he have the flu, is he pissed off, or is he trying to have an American accent? (If you can call a yankee monotone "accent" an accent)

ok, it's either you have a cold, or you are NOT Yahtzee.... anyhow, I had to choose ONE game for the first part of my summer, and I happened to choose the "little girl" (Alice) over the "Big Man" (Duke), so yeh, still playing it, and I think so far... it's not too bad, I guess if I read the book, I'd like the "twists" better.... but I didn't... so.. yeh,

So your sense of humor turns even more dry and your voice turns into a wildlife documentary narrators voice when you're sick eh? Fun episode yo.

Feel better soon !

Wallace and Gromit are awesome... Sorry.

But yeah, I honestly don't care all that much about this game.

Monty Python is also cool.

Dollar bills being ripped away from urchins by the biggest c*nt on earth ? I thought you were reviewing a game not Juliar's carbon tax ??

I'm sure he has a cold, I'm in Adelaide and it's absolutely freezing, wouldn't doubt it's the same up in Brisbane. Aussie winters have been quite brutal the past few years.

Nice review, pretty much agree with every word. I honestly can't really see the point in this sequel, to be honest.

I kinda like Alice, it makes a nice change from all the generic super-serious games out there and of course 'realistic' shooters.

Guess it's the same reason I like Section 8: Prejudice, just makes a nice change.

Neither of the game I mentioned are perfect though which is really sad for me to realise, im willing to accept games that are flawed yet different over games that are identical to one another but have more solid gameplay mechanics.

I suppose it's because those solid gameplay mechanics are also all identical to one another.

Sometimes people's voices just sound different...kinda sounded more dignified and conversational.

I'm just going to leave this right here.

~V

cant wait till yahtzee meats total biscuit

Most entertaining Zero Punctuation in a while.

Good episode. No surprises tought, just Yatzee beeing Yatzee.

Now the great mystery of Yatzees's voice! Let's hope for an answer for this intriguing story in a future episode... or not.

I think he's using his old mic, as he sounds exactly the same as in his older reviews.

Vanguard1219:
I'm just going to leave this right here.

~V

Yet another instance of people involved in the game yahtzee reviewed actually watching his review. It's right up there with peter Molyneux contacting him after his review of fable and sucker punch and the people who made prototype actually playing along with that women's bra contest. Just awesome.

I didn't know American McGee was his real name... I feel sorry for him now...<.<

Now list of the next game he'll review? The only guesses I got are Shadows of the Damned and Zelda 3D...

Heh, loved the laugh at the end. To bad to hear Alice isn't all that great though, I was thinking about picking it up myself. Oh well, in this economy I shouldn't be buying more games anyway.

Did Yahtzee finish puberty?

I really like his giggle at the end. Yeah it wasn't a giggle but...it was what Yahtzee would do in an event of a giggle.

So Yahtzee's 'sick voice' is back, huh? Let's see, what other reviews had his 'sick voice'? I can think of Assassin's Creed 2, God of War III, and Red Steel 2...

Anyway, that was the most disturbing in-credits joke I've ever seen! I couldn't bring myself to read that out loud. That's how disturbed I was by that!

(Oh, and speaking of the credits, once again, NEVER trust a Zero Punctuation Imp when it comes to ANYTHING. Including a mirror to slip into.)

By the way, people, THOSE aren't creepy doll heads. THIS is a Creepy Doll head!

(I'm really surprised no one else brought up the Loading Ready Run Creepy Doll in this thread...)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here