Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Cheat codes aren't gone, they're just now individually priced in Microsoft points.

It's not achievements that killed cheat codes, it's on-disk 'downloadable' content, that they can sell, such as Marvel Vs. Capcom 3's 'new' characters, or it's purchasing health potions from a microtransaction store, or it's purchasing all the songs in Eternal Sonata, etc.

Cheating isn't dead at all on PC.

Look at the adundance of mods for games like GTA4.

Also GTA4 is one game where I wouldn't mind the single-player cheat codes carrying over to multiplayer.

There are plenty of games that I'd have kept playing if I could cheat. Primarily Japanese ones to be fair - Bayonetta, DMC 4, FFX, FFX2, Far Cry 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex: HR, Phantasy Star Online, Borderlands, Dead Space 1 & 2 just to name a few. A few lines of code would a good few hours of extra gameplay - at least devs could patch in codes 6 months to a year after release.

But there are cheats other than the ones that alter the gameplay experience or game mechanics. There are cheats that unlock content as well. Charlie Brooker said that games are unlike any other entertainment media in that much of the content *that you have already paid for* is locked from the get go. Obviously unlocks add challenge and motivation but at some point with certain games and certain unlocks (think FFX's celestial weapons, sphere grid unlocks, HP/MP limit breaks) a person may just think - "f*ck it, this just isn't fun"! Sure there are completionists (read - obsessives) who love the feeling of unlocking that final stage/weapon/boss but, as a averagely skilled core gamer, if I'm not enjoying the grind enough to justify the dev's "end" (no c*ck jokes, please), does that mean I *never* deserve that content? Content that, as mentioned, I've already paid for? Charlie's not so sure about that, and I have to agree with him.

Atmos Duality:

Jarimir:

...If any of this rubs you the wrong way it's likely because everyting you have in your life has been handed to you with little or no question all the while people around you have been telling you how awesome you are.

100% wrong. Please stop posting such nonsense that you have no way of proving.
Or are there any other sweeping fallacies you would like to share with us today?

I am not the only one making sweeping fallacies. 100% wrong? Even if I was just talking about you alone and NOT ANYONE ELSE. Are you prepared to say that you've never had anything handed to you or had anyone around you tell you how awesome you are? You have no way of proving that at least someone on this forum doesnt fit that description. The most I could be is 99% wrong. Too bad you couldnt somehow cheat and change that ;P

TestECull:
Achievements are what happened to them. People seem to care more about meaningless pixels on a meaningless profile page than they do having fun anymore.

Jarimir:
2 words come to mind-

entitled
ego-centric

Yes, developers left cheats in games just for you, so that you could rightly feel awesome about yourself for finding it. /end sarcasm

3 solutions for this brave new world of no cheats-

If a game is too hard, turn down the difficulty. If it is still too hard, dont play it.
If a game is not fun for you dont play it.
If you can do something no one else can do, congrats. If someone else can do something you cant do (with or without cheating) GET USED TO IT.

If you have to play a certain game a certain way, just because you feel the need to fit in with your friends. You are a tool that should feel bad, just not for the reasons brought up in the OT.

If any of this rubs you the wrong way it's likely because everyting you have in your life has been handed to you with little or no question all the while people around you have been telling you how awesome you are.

you do realize that cheating in single player is utterly harmless, right? Also, why the hell are you mocking people that want to play SP their way? Why should we play it YOUR way? Are you the new Emperor of the World and I somehow didn't get the memo or something?

If I want to use tcl in New Vegas I will. You have no business telling me how I can and can't play my game, and the only tools around here are the ones calling people out for playing their single player games the way they want to.

My Way? If a game is too hard/not fun that is in direct relation to YOU! I mean, if you want to twist it around like that, then, yes. It is part of my master evil scheme to get you to play a game you can complete/have fun with by not requiring developers to create/leave in cheat codes for you. Muahahahahahaha! <wrings hands>

Is it that finding/using cheats is a "game" all unto itself that you enjoy? I am sorry if that is the case. The trend does seem to be going the other direction... Some have mentioned that mod'ing a game is a lot like cheating. Perhaps you can get (into) games that you can mod heavily?

Jarimir:

My Way? If a game is too hard/not fun that is in direct relation to YOU!

So I guess when NV bugs the fuck out and gets me stuck in rocks I shouldn't be stuck in I should just reload a previous save and lose six hours of gameplay? And what if I just get an urge to blow shit up? Why should I not be allowed to turn god mode on, whip out the Fat Man and go ape shit for 20 minutes on a whim just because YOU don't agree with it?

The answer is simple. You don't have to use cheat codes if you don't like them. Just because they're in the game doesn't mean you have to use them.

Is it that finding/using cheats is a "game" all unto itself that you enjoy?

No, it isn't. What it is is a simple matter of my own personal freedoms. It's my fucking game. I paid way too much money to not be able to play it how I damn well please, and if that means using cheats then I'm going to use cheats. Nobody else on this planet has any authority to tell me otherwise, seeing as I don't play multiplayer.

I am sorry if that is the case.

The amount of smugness and conceit you are emitting with this line rivals anything Prius drivers can put forth.

Some have mentioned that modding a game is a lot like cheating.

....what!? Modding the game is nothing like cheating. Sure, you can obtain mods that facilitate it, but that doesn't mean mods in general are a lot like cheating. Hell most of them make the game harder or only affect the visual/aural aspects. Or in the case of the Fallout games, fix bugs.

Perhaps you can get (into) games that you can mod heavily?

I already spend more time playing moddable games than I do non, but that has absolutely jack shit to do with cheat codes.

I am somewhat confused by the hostility yo are expressing here. The OT was "where have all the cheats gone". Implying that at one time cheats were common and now they are not. How is your freedom at all involved with a game developer's decision to leave cheats in a game? That sounds like THEIR freedom not yours. If you were being on topic then it would seem that YOU are the one demanding that something be done to satisfy you.

Game developers dont work for you, even if you buy their game. You could quit games and electronics all together and it would not effect their job or profit margin at all.

I dont understand how me telling you not to play a game if it is too hard/not fun for you is demanding at all. If being able to cheat is all that stands between you liking a game, then I suspect that you are going to be a Sad Panda for quite some time, and I am genuinely sorry about that. I know I came off sounding self-righteous in this thread, but there is a sound logic to be found in-

3 solutions for this brave new world of no cheats-

If a game is too hard, turn down the difficulty. If it is still too hard, dont play it.
If a game is not fun for you dont play it.
If you can do something no one else can do, congrats. If someone else can do something you cant do (with or without cheating) GET USED TO IT.

If you can get past your emotional response to such advice. I know it sucks to buy something you dont end up enjoying, but all that should teach you is how to become a more selective consumer.

Jarimir:

I am not the only one making sweeping fallacies. 100% wrong? Even if I was just talking about you alone and NOT ANYONE ELSE. Are you prepared to say that you've never had anything handed to you or had anyone around you tell you how awesome you are?

Irrelevant. Because:

If any of this rubs you the wrong way it's likely because everyting you have in your life has been handed to you with little or no question all the while people around you have been telling you how awesome you are.

Not. "One instance". Not "Some of the time". Not even "most of the time". But "Everything".
"Everything" Is not an indefinite measurement. It means ALL. 1/1. 100/100. Ln6/Ln6

You have no way of proving that at least someone on this forum doesnt fit that description. The most I could be is 99% wrong. Too bad you couldnt somehow cheat and change that ;P

And you have no way of proving at least someone DOES fit that description.
Baseless assumptions do not prove a statement, so we discard them as evidence.

Or for the statistician: "There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim."

Sooner or later people will realize how worthless achievements are but that won't bring back external cheat devices because there are still two obstacles.

Online multiplayer is a problem for the success of external cheat devices, thankfully online passes will kill online multiplayer in time. For those confused by this statement. Online passes will ultimately mean fewer people playing online.

The last obstacle is the ability for console makers to patch out external cheat devices. I see no cure for this except that gamers make it clear they want external cheat devices back.

The 2 main motivations behind not having cheat codes are tied to online play.

1) Multiplayer needs to be based on all the same rules, and if someone is in "godmode" or has unlimited ammo or better abilities, it's broken. When you're all playing 4-player on Goldeneye and you turn on big-head mode or change the damage settings everyone in equal and is present to agree (or vote) on it. Online multiplayer would be non-functional with cheats.

2) Achievements - really they're meant to be a crumb of cheese to keep you playing. You get a little reward for your own contentment, but also it is bragging for everyone else online. You can report in on progress boards, etc. too. But it only means something if everyone has the same settings.

I'd be happy with a middle-ground where you have options to modify play settings but it was only available in "unofficial" mode - no multiplayer and no achievements earned.

So, wait. You're not the only one who noticed the disappearance of cheats? Atleast there's still a few games with commands for random stuff, so yeah.

faspxina:
Hopefully the new Saints Row game will maintain it's cheat codes and remind us how cheats are fun.

Never fear, they did maintain cheat codes. And for the fun, fun price of $2.99!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55390/

Scrythe:

faspxina:
Hopefully the new Saints Row game will maintain it's cheat codes and remind us how cheats are fun.

I did not know that and I do not know how to express how I feel about it...

You're missing a "b a".

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, start

or for 2-player

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, b, a, select, start

I've tapped that code out SO many times playing Contra.

Achievements and trophies did not kill cheating. Lazy developers did. Plenty of games out there still have cheat codes that simply disable achievements until you reset the game. To ignore this and blame achievements is just asinine. Place the blame where it actually belongs, with the game developers. They're the ones being too lazy to add cheat codes. They're the ones being too lazy to make said cheat codes simply disable achievements if they don't want people to cheat their way to a platinum trophy or 1,000 gamerscore. Hell, some developers don't care and let you have the cheats and unlock achievements with them.

Cheating used to be an integral part of videogame culture, but lazy developers ruined that fun in a lot of games, but not all of them. To say otherwise... Quite simply, you're wrong.

faspxina:

Scrythe:

faspxina:

I did not know that and I do not know how to express how I feel about it...

There are still some cheat codes in the game without having to pay anything extra. Why they made you pay for some cheats and not others, I don't know. But Capcom started this "pay for cheats" shit with DR2OTR, and if it keeps going beyond that and SRTT...

Cheat sites aren't dead, they just remodeled to focus more on walkthroughs and strategy guides, which are largely more useful anyway.

The imput has changed. You don't get a set aside area to make them. Moding is essentially the same thing if you know what you're doing and can give a lot more customization than what the preset codes were. I wish they'd let us get keyboard implemention on the consols so we could mess around without having to move to a PC version ...

For me cheating was usually just a way of getting some small laughs out of a game and now I got glitches for that.

I do miss cheats. Countless hours of shenanigans in GTA due to the amusing codes. I remember turning on pedestrians riot, pedestrians have guns, and increased gore on GTA3 and relishing in the chaos. Limbs flying everywhere from explosions, gunfire drowning out the screams of pain, and the once black streets not red with blood.

Anyone else remember the "What If" code in the PS1 Spiderman game that changed a LOT of the game (like adding a yellow submarine in one level that races you)?

Archangel357:

article:
NES games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and Shinobi were made infinitely more playable thanks to codes that allowed us to skip levels

Um, Shinobi? One of Sega's flagship franchises in the arcade/8-/16-bit eras? A NES game? Really?

*checks*

Wow, it really exists - didn't expect that. That's like Uncharted on the XBox 360.

Shinibo pops up in Ninja Gaiden on the NES too

Heres a better one for ya:
http://youtu.be/zzh7kMcuDYY

It's easier to walk through a game with a carrot at the end of the stick than because the journey is fun.

I'm not sure about the causation between Achievements and cheats disappearing but one thing this dose make me think of is how apparently it's ok to use the contra code, but don't use those save states in an emulator, That's just bad form. >:(

In light of this artical that atitude seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here