Jimquisition: Online Passes Are Bad For Everybody

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

ghgh55:

[sarcasm] Yes, I'm sure the professionals in the business, many of which helped developed those old games would never have thought of that. Lets face it, 2d graphics are so much better than 3d graphics. [/sarcasm]

I'm serious, I don't think the concept has crossed their minds. They are making the same generic games over and over, and seem to think that the way to become more profitable as they see a decline in their profit margins is to cut more corners and make even lazier cash-in games. I didn't mention game graphics once, by the way.

Assassin's Creed went from a relatively solid, original title to a game they rehash and milk each year. People are going to slowly stop buying due to a quality decline. That isn't the fault of the Gamestop devil.

Good games sell. Case in point: Skyrim.

I'm going to use my magical crystal ball and predict that Skyrim sells like cocaine coated candy. I further predict that we -won't- see Todd Howard climb up onto a soap box and cry like a child about used games stealing his monies.

Pandabearparade:

ghgh55:

[sarcasm] Yes, I'm sure the professionals in the business, many of which helped developed those old games would never have thought of that. Lets face it, 2d graphics are so much better than 3d graphics. [/sarcasm]

I'm serious, I don't think the concept has crossed their minds. They are making the same generic games over and over, and seem to think that the way to become more profitable as they see a decline in their profit margins is to cut more corners and make even lazier cash-in games. I didn't mention game graphics once, by the way.

Assassin's Creed went from a relatively solid, original title to a game they rehash and milk each year. People are going to slowly stop buying due to a quality decline. That isn't the fault of the Gamestop devil.

Good games sell. Case in point: Skyrim.

I'm going to use my magical crystal ball and predict that Skyrim sells like cocaine coated candy. I further predict that we -won't- see Todd Howard climb up onto a soap box and cry like a child about used games stealing his monies.

Here is the thing with rehashing old games and generic games. they sell. Proved by the call of duty series. New creative titles are what investors like to call risky, and in a bad economy risky reads, "stay away." And since game projects need to answer to their investors, they can't do very much new. A fundamental problem with the system. however, the more profitable the gaming industry becomes, the more investors their will be for new games, which will allow more creative original games to get green lit.

ghgh55:

Here is the thing with rehashing old games and generic games. they sell. Proved by the call of duty series.

Which is why, despite the major game publishers doing nothing but bland rehashes, they're apparently struggling to turn a profit?

Call of Duty isn't a fair comparison, because it's the top game in the genre.

Pandabearparade:

ghgh55:

Here is the thing with rehashing old games and generic games. they sell. Proved by the call of duty series.

Which is why, despite the major game publishers doing nothing but bland rehashes, they're apparently struggling to turn a profit?

Then just look at halo, already a generic game-play shooter, it has sold wonderfully, the changes from game to game could be applied through online patches (at least they could on a PC, I don't know about patching a consul game).

It is simple marketing logic, to sell a product, people need to know about your product first, and people have to want your product after that.

But even if that didn't prove true, that in reality original titles and game styles would sell better, ultimately the investors have final call as to what gets finished (or even started). As I said, the more profit the video game industry can pull, the more investors it will have, the original ideas can be realized. Right now one of the biggest things stopping this is used game sales. There might be better ways to combat this, but right now online passes are going to be the try. The only thing I have to say, is that for multi-player heavy games should have single-player passes (such as COD style games).

Pandabearparade:

ghgh55:

Then just look at halo, already a generic game-play shooter, it has sold wonderfully, the changes from game to game could be applied through online patches (at least they could on a PC, I don't know about patching a consul game).

It is simple marketing logic, to sell a product, people need to know about your product first, and people have to want your product after that.

But even if that didn't prove true, that in reality original titles and game styles would sell better, ultimately the investors have final call as to what gets finished (or even started). As I said, the more profit the video game industry can pull, the more investors it will have, the original ideas can be realized. Right now one of the biggest things stopping this is used game sales. There might be better ways to combat this, but right now online passes are going to be the try. The only thing I have to say, is that for multi-player heavy games should have single-player passes (such as COD style games).

What the Hell, I can't watch this video! It keeps saying some crap I don't understand and never plays!

Sucal:
Just pointing out, that any american who complains about $60 games should come buy games in Australia.

MY GOD it is people like you who are justifying things like online passes and overpriced games to the publishers, endlessly propagating a cycle of consumer abuse. 60 dollars is NOT OK and in australia it is ABOMINABLE. we have a right to complain, because if we do not, we may eventually usher in games that expensive EVERYWHERE and other publisher fuckery.

Ding dong the witch is dead! Which old witch? The wicked witch!
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/15/ea-kills-its-controversial-online-pass-program/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here