Zero Punctuation: Resistance 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Brilliant Review... I personally loved the game.

I like how some people are taking offense to the conspiracy theories. And even the stuff the game legitimately took inspiration from is nothing to be ashamed of. HL IS a really good game. Nice to see that the regenerating health cover based shooting ways may finally begin phasing out.

C117:
Whelp, that was... interesting. Certainly a unique review, and funny to boot.

Welcome to ZP :P

Kind of upset that Resistance lost the flair that I enjoyed so much in the first game and to a lesser extent, the second...
Oh well, I don't have a PS3, so I wouldn't be buying it anyways.

Fuckin' A. That ending had me in stitches!

I guess it really does show if you enjoyed working on a particular piece, and not even a flaming cynic like Yahtzee can disguise it. :)

This is by far the funniest ZP review. Half-Life 2 parallels are hilarious. I don't own a PS3, but I'm glad our console brethren will finally get a glimpse of a real shooter. No health regeneration and all that new age bollocks. Sounds good.

BEST EPISODE EVER!!!

Now let me get this straight, there's a new shooter out that's copying a GOOD game instead of a bland mediocre one?

Okay so health packs and all the weapons aren't original ideas but seriously this almost sounds like something I could enjoy a fair bit.

Great review Yahtzee it had me laughing and somewhat nervous that there might still be some common sense in the videogames industry.

Hilarious review. I have only played the first Resistence not long after the ps3 was released and thought it was a decent game, and its a promising sign that a shooter game has health kits in it, I might have to check this game out at some point. I love Isomniac games Rachet & Clank is one of my favourite series.

I felt it was my insufferable duty to point out these review has the Dead Island Tags, not the Resistance ones.

Versuvius:
Fucking typical. A shooter with all of the mechanics i liked that were lost are back but only because Half Life got raped in the shower and woke up in a bathtub full of ice missing all of it's internal organs. I still might buy it though. Beggars can't be choosers when something passably different pops up and wiggles it's juicy buns in my face.

There is Serious Sam on the horizon, in this case - you do have a choice.

Traun:

Versuvius:
Fucking typical. A shooter with all of the mechanics i liked that were lost are back but only because Half Life got raped in the shower and woke up in a bathtub full of ice missing all of it's internal organs. I still might buy it though. Beggars can't be choosers when something passably different pops up and wiggles it's juicy buns in my face.

Hard Reset
Serious Sam
Resistance 3

Is something going on? I mean are people growing out of the bad habits set by the Halo/COD dominance of the FPS genre?

I wish he'd had a cold when making this episode.
It would add to the effect of Who the hell are you, and what have you done to Yahtzee?

esperandote:
But they did released their #3

that is a good point, valve could never release a game that was the third in a franchise, only make episodes of the second one and add to the already too damn big zombie game market for the money and lols. insomniac at least finish their series. somewhat...

Yahtzee- you rock man. I loved how you've expressed yourself playing this game, making the game sound fun (which probably is, and making me want it now) but then comparing it with Half Life 2 with sudden realization that the game's copying them (lol). Well done, I sure laughed and felt this was something we all needed from time to time.

Also, you have a point: Why do we have SO many 3's coming out. That's like 6-7 games all being the third one. Also, if you think about it.. Skyrim may count as the 3rd Elder Scrolls series. But, I would be wrong because they had The Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, and now coming out with Skyrim so it'd be 4th. Darn it! XD

Didn't Zyklon B Frat Party come out for Wii a couple of years ago?

Versuvius:

This sound like the "piracy is theft" fallacy.

Taking someone else's idea does not deprive them of their idea. It just means the idea has a chance to spread and evolve and achieve more than it could have just with the original creators. Like the first caveman who discovered fire, would humanity have benefited if he had retained a monopoly on the idea/discovery of fire creation.

Or what of the parable of Prometheus, punished for sharing the KNOWLEDGE of fire with man, the metaphor is clear that the authority are petty and jealous of knowledge that we have every right to use.

Michael Hirst:

Traun:

Versuvius:

Hard Reset
Serious Sam
Resistance 3

Is something going on? I mean are people growing out of the bad habits set by the Halo/COD dominance of the FPS genre?

It's widespread for CoD fans to be openly apathetic towards MW3, most begrudgingly saying they are going to buy it only because it seems to be just another iteration/combination of the previous games they had played. See you can't trick all the people all of the time.

That combined with how CoD had proven utter dominance (quick death of competitors like MoH, Homefront, etc) CoD fans don't even have an alternative.

"A display of chain-vomitting rarely seen outside of Zyklon-B frat parties"

That is some hilariously messed up stuff right there, Croshaw.

Best review in quite awhile.

I laughed at the four tear ducts on the skull.

Well...shit, I guess I will have to give this one a rent, haven't played a decent shooter in a long, long time

Wow, i really enjoyed this episode. Seems like an interesting game, too bad it isn't on the PC. I think.
Anyways, this was quite humorous, well done.

Like Yahtzee said, if you're going to rip off anyone, it might as well be Valve. I like those guys too. Team Fortress 2 (take a shot) is pretty damn good, and Portal was perfect. Portal 2 slightely less so, but still damn good.

So at the very least, Resistance 3 gets points with me for taking cues from a good developer instead of just copying the same cover-based shooters over and over.

Watch, the next FPS he reviews will be right back to cover-based. And then we get to do the whole malarky over again. Huzzah.

Sudenak:
Damn. Had my hopes up that a game was finally pushing ahead with nice game mechanics, only to learn that it's basically ripping off HL2. Hopefully it's just a massive coincidence and we'll once more see an FPS that doesn't require you to suck your thumb in a corner.

Until then, I'll cling to my Heretic and Hexen and gaze longingly at next-gen graphics.

It's not ripping off Half Life at all, it's not even closely related. Just yahtzee exagerating for comedy's sake.

It's somewhat disappointing he didn't play resistance 2. It really pieced the game together as what it is now.I even could have seen him admiring the multiplayer (At least co-op) and its initiative to create a balanced, 60 man game.

Wait, you can use biological warfare and make the enemies fatally ill and it ripped off a good game instead of fucking Halo?!

Thanks Yahtzee. Thanks a fucking hell of a lot. Now i really regret not having a PS3. I wonder if any PS3 owner would be stupid enough to trade his console in exchange for my 360 and my Halo titles. Not like i'm ever going to play Halo 3 again, and i replaced Halo Wars with Tom Clancy's EndWar a while back.

Awww.... Yahtzee has a warm side. :P

This is the Yahtzee's best review. I laughed, it made me want to play the game, it pointed out on flaws, but didn't make them "the end of the world" flaws.

I'm way too tired to concentrate right now, so after watching that I find myself giggling uncontrollably.

Now I'm off to watch Feed Dump. It was nice knowing all of you.

JayDeth:

hermes200:
Also, the whole anagram thing with Combines and Insomniac is a little far-fetched...

Sorry, sorry. Here I am, I came back for you. You don't recognize me, but apparently I flew over your head. I am, The Joke.

Best reply ever...you sir had me in stitches! xD

OT: Wow...I'm stunned, Yahtzee actually seemed like he enjoyed making the review! not seen this since the Orange Box...

Next week...Gears will kill the mood...I'm guessing.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Resistance 3

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Resistance 3 with a hint of deja vu.

Watch Video

(predicts quite a bit of condescension in response to this post)

Hell, I'm gonna have to check this one out. I'm a new PS3 owner and I haven't yet played any shooters for it (besides Borderlands, the COD games and the first Rainbow Six Vegas). Most of the shooters I've played since the PS2/Gamecube/X-Box Uno era have seemed stiff and stale to me. A return to med packs and multiple weapons sounds promising (of course it will be boring when everyone starts doing it again).

Funniest episode in a loooong while.

Keep pushing the boat!

LordJiro:
Don't be silly, Yahtzee, Insomniac isn't COMPLETELY ripping off Valve. They can count to three, for one.

+1 internets for you, sir! I actually laughed at that one.

Watched this review 3 times now made me laugh each and every time :> More of this Yahtzee ^^

The Gentleman:
Clearly, beards are the greatest thing for a male character to have!.

*Strokes his mighty beard* Concurred!

Almost had me these, was sounding amazing right up until he mentioned it was copying the most overrated game ever. A game that I pushed through telling myself it will get better but it never did.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here