Unskippable: Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Scarim Coral:
I can't stop laughing at the whole big bed deal (yes it's huge and I would envy him for having a large bed). Also what's up with the actings? Sound like they are over dramatize or over doing it.

Sounds like you've never seen a voiced JRPG before! Let me help you out by saying

This is the rule of all voiced JRPG games.

There are exceptions. Persona4 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Zachary Amaranth:
I totally want a bed like that.

Think that bed of Aoto's will fit in your bedroom? Cuz it won't in mine.

Also... commentary during the TITLE CARD? That's new.
I thought the video was going bad until I heard G&P start griping.
"The only word there that's a word is 'of'!"

Dooly95:

Scarim Coral:
I can't stop laughing at the whole big bed deal (yes it's huge and I would envy him for having a large bed). Also what's up with the actings? Sound like they are over dramatize or over doing it.

Sounds like you've never seen a voiced JRPG before! Let me help you out by saying

There are exceptions. Persona4 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

there're a lot of JRPGs that don't have bad voiceovers. unfortunately, NIS America does not do good dubs.

I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*

I suspect this game would be much better without this trainwreck of a dub. Probably not enough for me to play it, but still far better than what it is now.

P.S. Thanks

This lives up to my insanity standards.

TO GAMEFLY!!

(after i finish skyrim.. of course)

Aiden Raine:
I also love how everybody's talking shit about the game because this cutscene makes no sense. of course it doesn't make any sense. it's the first 5 minutes of a very story heavy 40-60 hour game. (edit) and it's the 3rd game of the series, no less.

*facepalm*

Oh please, let's put this manwoman and all that's going on into context.

I am truly curious what knowledge of the series could bring to make THAT make sense!

Aiden Raine:

Dooly95:

Scarim Coral:

there're a lot of JRPGs that don't have bad voiceovers. unfortunately, NIS America does not do good dubs.

Full disclosure; I don't mind JRPGs. Heck, I like them.

I just usually have the TV on mute and play some music in the background via my computer.

Good dubbed JRPGs: Persona 3 and 4, Star Ocean 3, FFIV DS, Odin Sphere, Tales series, recent FFVII projects

There are more obviously, but what they have in common are high quality actors from LA with tons of experience, like Wendee Lee, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Michelle Ruff (and others). They work a lot of anime titles, and I can vouch that 95% of the time, they provide stellar work. Times they don't usually amount to bad direction or miscasting. For example, reference JYB's characters from the two most recent Atelier games. I cringed how horribly wrong Totori's direction made him sound.

This cutscene shows me they had neither good actors nor good direction, making it a complete mess.

I shed a tear laughing at this episode of Unskippable. Well played, good sirs, well played.

My friend is constantly telling me that I need to get the first two or three games of this series for the PS2. Should I? I do not know. Supposedly it's awesome.

I'm actually a huge fan of the first Ar Tonelico game (You butchered the "tonelico" part of the name, but I forgive you... I did it too, till they finally said it in game)

I only got about half way through the 2nd game though, before I stopped playing due to life.

I need to finish that one so I play this one.

Wow. Just wow. I've never been so stunned at such a terrible intro cutscene. Why was this game made? Why?

Great episode.

Mydnyght:

Think that bed of Aoto's will fit in your bedroom? Cuz it won't in mine.

Probably not, but I want it the way I want a HUUUUUUUUUGE HDTV.

DanHibiki:
I would actuality hold my judgement on the second "girl". I mean it's wearing a metal chest plate, there could be anything under that.

First rule of Anime: Until proven otherwise, assume EVERY character in anime to be the opposite gender to what they appear.

...I know I told myself I was eating chocolate s'mores poptarts, but why do I get the feeling I ate something far more...potent after watching this video?

Turning off the PS3 was a good idea, guys.

Wow this game is just a constant string of WTF...

Also to G&P: Knell is a real word too, so there were only two actual words in that title :3

DracoSuave:

Aiden Raine:

*facepalm*

I am truly curious what knowledge of the series could bring to make THAT make sense!

Okay. This is Mute.
See everything in the world of Ar Tonelico is essentially powered by Hymmnos an elaborate created language for the game. Mute sings EXEC_CUTYPUMP/. a Hymmnos created by her father that allows her to gain a more super powered physique. Because when you want to fight to avenge your father who was killed in AT2, you so want to have the body of a little girl.

Knight Chick is another person inhabiting Sakis body, who she is and who Saki is are important to the game.

Also Ar Tonelico is a Piss Take in the vein of Disgaea, it is self aware not only of it's own zaniness but of the zaniness of the JRPG genre and is fully ready to go and mock everything from JRPGs and Anime and Dating Sims. And just like Disgaea, it knows when to kick you in the balls, like with the Cosmosphere, god damn the Cosmospheres... and the Bad Ending

Oh I know it's spoilers but who the hell cares?

SpaceMedarotterX:

DracoSuave:

Aiden Raine:

*facepalm*

Okay. This is Mute.

See everything in the world of Ar Tonelico is essentially powered by Hymmnos an elaborate created language for the game. Mute sings EXEC_CUTYPUMP/. a Hymmnos created by her father that allows her to gain a more super powered physique. Because when you want to fight to avenge your father who was killed in AT2, you so want to have the body of a little girl.

Fo'Sho, I need to say that Mute is my favorite character. I don't think many people will like that song though. it's my favorite and it's the video posters favorite but it's not exactly well, I dunno.

I still have the lyric/translation of that song bookmarked, singing about hunting down people to burn them and fighting a violent and cute battle and killing for love... is that why she killed Katene's Dad?

I wish the big girl was a recruitable party member. I appreciate the effort to put some variaty in the 'androginous' character template.

Taking the piss or not, it doesn't make it enjoyable to watch.

Forgive the language brought on by such a curious game but...
What the fuck was that?

Ah it is not that bad of a game...not that great, but not bad. 2 is much, much better however.

Dude looks like a lady.
Oh wait, that's not right.
Lady looks like a dude....
Okay doesn't doesn't sound as good when you sing it...

Excludos:
hahaha. You guys HAVE to do a lets play of this one. That is far out

no its pretty standard for the Ar Tonelico series, that and the sex jokes

Dooly95:

Scarim Coral:

Persona 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Atelier series, Jeanne d'Arc, Shin Megami Devil Survivor, Tales of games are decently voiced altho after playing through Vesperia on ps3 i like the jp voice actors more, also NIS is hit and miss with dubs unfortunately(fortunately most of their game you can change the dub track), And the Worst Voice over in the history of jrpgs is Chaos Wars(Arc Rise Fantasia is a close 2nd) and i cant believe im saying this but its worth a look at just for the terrible acting

Wait, that game was for the PS3?

Fuck.

SpaceMedarotterX:

Your explanation didn't make it LESS wtf. It only replaced the immediate WTF with deeper WTF.

paper scissors beaten by mud slide. Note to self: Use mud slide to beat all when playing rock paper scissors! Thank you Graham and Paul

..In what universe do those.. lumps on the bodybuilders chest even remotely look like breasts, exactly? If it had not been for the exceptionally high pitched voice, I would have thought the character a bulky man for the entire game (provided I could handle the suffering of actually playing it, that is).

This game looks and sounds so bad, Metroid: Other M looks and sounds better than it, to me.. my god..

Gamegodtre:

Excludos:
hahaha. You guys HAVE to do a lets play of this one. That is far out

no its pretty standard for the Ar Tonelico series, that and the sex jokes

I'm not sure what worries me more. The fact that its considered normal, or that this is a series..

DracoSuave:

SpaceMedarotterX:

Your explanation didn't make it LESS wtf. It only replaced the immediate WTF with deeper WTF.

it's entirely in context, however. the entire story encompasses 3 whole games, with many materials which go into the history of the world. everything is entirely explained, but not within the first 5 minutes of game number 3 of 3. if you really have no interest in it, then it's best to just turn your head and walk away.

I am enjoying this game right now (about 15 hours in).

Is it silly and all? Sure, but it is fun and what I want for my JRPG fix.

.. I actually thought those were all girls, and the bad guy was the girl in armor. Turns out the bad guy is a.. manly looking woman who's ripped an- OH GOD WHY!? Not sure what to say, the whole game throws me off.

How can people forget lyrics or how to sing? Also what's with the dramatic voices over every line? Living in a world like that being so random and confusing I would want to also turn off my PS3 (or my life lol).

And to think that later we get treated with this:

Ar Tonelico (R Toe-nelico) was a great series until this PS3 game came out. Don't get me wrong I played it and still enjoyed it for the most part but there was parts when I was annoyed to fuck defiantly not my favorite and the battle system was pretty god damn weak compared to the awesome battle systems of 1 & 2. The series is known for it's epic storylines and the Cosmosphere where you dig into the minds/feelings of the ladies you journey with.

JRPGs are always out there maybe that's why I enjoy them, they are not from this world. You know the team got together shot some LSD and went to town.

Some history of how they came up with the name:

'Qoga' means "finale" or 'termination.'
'Knell' is like a chime that signals the passing of someone or something.
'Ar Ciel' is a name of a world.
'Ar Tonelico' is an artificial world tree (Yggdrasill).

We wanted to use 'Knell' to indicate that this is the finale of the series because 'chime the signals the passing of something' is [the] perfect way of expressing the finale of [the] Ar Tonelico series."

So yes it really does translate to something but to most of us it looks like they pulled words out of a hat.

gphjr14:
LOL I said "whoah!" out loud the same time those guys did. Totally wasn't expecting that.

Seconded

Aptspire:
Jackie Chan's wtf face doesn't even cover it, we need...

I have a better one...

Seriously... That is probably THE most "WTF Japan?" game I have EVER seen!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here