Trailers: Mass Effect 3 - Take Back Earth Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

David Savage:
Just realized that those trolls are Yahg husks. That's gonna be a bit of a problem. Especially if they're working in concert with them biotic-spewing Asari husks that I know I've seen.

Aren't they the same ones that you fight in the demo? If so, then they are the Batarian husks. The batarian worlds fell first after all

Why do they all look like sovereign?

Weren't they all meant to be unique in their own way?

Or am I missing something here? ._.

DonMelpomene:
Why do they all look like sovereign?

Weren't they all meant to be unique in their own way?

Or am I missing something here? ._.

From an interview on gameinformer.com

Why do most of the Reapers we've seen so far have similar insect-like appearances? The human Reaper looked different, but otherwise it seems like the Reapers mainly build themselves out of bugs. Is that correct?

The exterior of the Reapers does follow a similar pattern, an efficient design for the purpose they were created for. However each Reaper is created from a unique species, and as we saw at the end of Mass Effect 2, the core of each Reaper is designed in the likeness of that species.

Zen Toombs:

[nerd technicalities, go!]Collectors are essentially huskified Protheans, just as Cannibals are effectively huskified Batarians.[/nerd technicalities go!

Exactly. (...although the collectors did somehow strike me as something of a higher class of husk - more like indoctrinated regular Protheans, that had been genetically modified over time, than the jury-rigged borg-patchwork-shuffle-and-attack-zombies...)

Zen Toombs:

I am also reminded of this:

It was lonely.
It called to us.

Such wasted potential for the telling of the ME2 story arc.

(So... Think the "Imshai" were the Protheans' Protheans, so to speak, and the race depicted by the statues on Ilos?)

Shepard's secret weapon against the Reapers: an army of immortal (this is a video game after all) children. The video did not show the little girl leading Shepard into battle.

wintercoat:

From an interview on gameinformer.com

Thanks for the quick reply mate ^_^

I feel enlightened and hungry.

this is what i want to see.

This trailer sucks, lets be honest.

Jeyl:
TAKE BACK EARTH

Why? What did Earth ever do for me in Mass Effect 1 and 2? I think I'll go help the Quarians find a new home or protect the Assari's home world. Earth being in danger is just boring.

Totally agree. Earth has never meant much before now in ME. The Citadel in ME1 - that was important because it's the centre of galactic government and civilisation. So I enjoyed fighting to save that. I never gave a damn in ME2 that the collectors were attacking specifically human settlements. But I could buy that there may be political disinterest in such a thing, hence the unofficial work with Cerebrus. And if you were paragon, you got to work with the facists to save things before running off with the Cerebrus' biggest investment.

That stuff was interesting. I'd never done anything quite like that in a game before.

Saving Earth from alien/robot/genocidal AI things? Done that a thousand times.

I hope this is just marketing for the sales to thick or ignorant sheep, and that the game itself is rather deeper.

mightybozz:

Jeyl:
TAKE BACK EARTH

Why? What did Earth ever do for me in Mass Effect 1 and 2? I think I'll go help the Quarians find a new home or protect the Assari's home world. Earth being in danger is just boring.

Totally agree. Earth has never meant much before now in ME. The Citadel in ME1 - that was important because it's the centre of galactic government and civilisation. So I enjoyed fighting to save that. I never gave a damn in ME2 that the collectors were attacking specifically human settlements. But I could buy that there may be political disinterest in such a thing, hence the unofficial work with Cerebrus. And if you were paragon, you got to work with the facists to save things before running off with the Cerebrus' biggest investment.

That stuff was interesting. I'd never done anything quite like that in a game before.

I hope this is just marketing for the sales to thick or ignorant sheep, and that the game itself is rather deeper.

You are both traitors to the species. Why, you should not be allowed to play the third game - let the more loyal Shepards save the planet.

Earth being the target and humanity being the primary victim is an easy thing to write. JJ Abram's Star Trek, for all it's attempts to say that things will be different in this universe, still conformed to Earth being in danger and that planet needing to be saved above all else, just like it did four out of the nine movies previously.

I think when you boil it down, Bioware's treatment (Whether encouraged by EA or not) of Mass Effect 3 shows that their number one priority is to appeal to the more casual gamer that has never played a single Mass Effect game rather than taking the steps to ensure that everything that goes on in ME3 feels like it belongs with the previous games. And like a lot of movies, games, and TV shows that just want to appeal to the ignorant masses, it doesn't offer any cadence or pace to set up what's at stake, but instead resorts to throwing you into the action offering only moments of pathos like that kid in the opening. Even Earth, the planet that every trailer, tagline and article talks about saving doesn't really seem that important. For instance, how many aliens did you see on Earth? Compare that with how many aliens there are on the Citadel, Omega, Noveria, Illium, and even Tuchanka. All of those worlds have different species of aliens that are not indigenous their, and for the final installment of this galaxy scale game, we'our goal is to save a planet THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY ALIEN DIVERSITY in it's population. While I'm sure we'll get to visit other worlds and potentially save them from the Reapers, so far everything Shepard does int he game is about "Earth's Survival" (Rescuing the Krogan female). That's a big disappointment.

Somebloke:

Zen Toombs:

I am also reminded of this:

It was lonely.
It called to us.

Such wasted potential for the telling of the ME2 story arc.

(So... Think the "Imshai" were the Protheans' Protheans, so to speak, and the race depicted by the statues on Ilos?)

0.o
You sir, just blew my mind. That is now fact in my Mass Effect Universe, and I am no longer bothered by Ilos vs. the current picture of the Protheans. In fact, I love it.

And yeah, Bioware probably could have used an extra six months. I'd be okay with a six month longer wait for ME 3 to have had that.

Third: Yeah, Collectors are extremely advanced Husks as opposed to the rush jobs we've seen so far with most [human]Husks.

Its a good trailer but it still doesn't give me much hope for the story.
And that is one weird looking kid.

Don Reba:

mightybozz:

Jeyl:
TAKE BACK EARTH

You are both traitors to the species. Why, you should not be allowed to play the third game - let the more loyal Shepards save the planet.

Spoken like a true member of Cerebrus :)

Im wondering why so many Reapers concentrate on the Earth. What does poor planet have to offer? I bet that this *something* will be a huge reveal.

Jeyl:
TAKE BACK EARTH

Because they don't seem to have an interesting enemy like Saren so they're going for the old standby of Earth being in trouble. Because we all live on Earth so therefore we're all kind of invested in it.

They did the same with the whole humans disappearing thing in ME2. Because we're also human and therefore should be invested in saving them, I guess.

vrbtny:
Smells a lot of.... Dead Island.

Young girl anyone?

Also : When did Mass Effect's combat turn into Lord of the Rings eg. Up close and personal with blades, trolls and shizzle?

Well it looks like they cut some stuff out, but since Husks are generally Melee based combatants it makes sense that after opening fire on them for a while the Husks got close and shit got real.

OT: Very cool trailer, was nice to see the mako, and it wasn't jumping and bumping all over the fucking place so that's a good sign.

wsmieszek:
Im wondering why so many Reapers concentrate on the Earth. What does poor planet have to offer? I bet that this *something* will be a huge reveal.

They've hinted pretty heavily at the reapers just being pissed off. Think about it, Shepard has thwarted their plans SEVERAL times, which is more then whole SPECIES have been able to do in the past. So if you have a human continuously messing up you tried and true plans it would make a lot of sense to attack his/her home planet and get rid this possibly dangerous species before they become more problematic.

Saviordd1:

wsmieszek:

They've hinted pretty heavily at the reapers just being pissed off. Think about it, Shepard has thwarted their plans SEVERAL times, which is more then whole SPECIES have been able to do in the past. So if you have a human continuously messing up you tried and true plans it would make a lot of sense to attack his/her home planet and get rid this possibly dangerous species before they become more problematic.

Don't forget that the Reapers are arrogant, they believe they are the perfect state of existence, that every other sentient being is dust compared to them, that nothing compares to them.
As such, Shepard's defeat of Sovereign, but also her/his constant thwarting of their plans is general is a great blow at their pride. The are completely and utterly convinced that they are undefeatable, and they CANNOT acknowledge Shepard's victories, or else their view of the world would shatter. (Sovereigns speech, and Harbinger's in 'Arrival' clearly shows this, they cannot acknowledge a defeat or even the possibility of it)
As such I'm sure they're attacking earth first as a blow in, as you say, anger, they're trying to cover up their previous defeats, mostly to themselves and their fragile egos.
(SPOILER)
They're also not idiots, they do, in a way, acknowledge their greatest threat, and the greatest potential for a new Reaper considering the final events of Mass effect 2.
As such it would not surprise me if they stayed on earth for quite a while, it takes time to bring in the 'crops' alive, after all. :-p

Setrus:

Don't forget that the Reapers are arrogant, they believe they are the perfect state of existence, that every other sentient being is dust compared to them, that nothing compares to them.
As such, Shepard's defeat of Sovereign, but also her/his constant thwarting of their plans is general is a great blow at their pride. The are completely and utterly convinced that they are undefeatable, and they CANNOT acknowledge Shepard's victories, or else their view of the world would shatter. (Sovereigns speech, and Harbinger's in 'Arrival' clearly shows this, they cannot acknowledge a defeat or even the possibility of it)
As such I'm sure they're attacking earth first as a blow in, as you say, anger, they're trying to cover up their previous defeats, mostly to themselves and their fragile egos.
(SPOILER)
They're also not idiots, they do, in a way, acknowledge their greatest threat, and the greatest potential for a new Reaper considering the final events of Mass effect 2.
As such it would not surprise me if they stayed on earth for quite a while, it takes time to bring in the 'crops' alive, after all. :-p

Not that they are just in a perfect state of existence, Sovereign was talking like they believe they were literal gods, having existed since the beginning of time.

It isn't just that Humans are their greatest threat, but also they're the species the others like the least. Everyone would come to the defense of the Asari, but those dirty humans have this coming to them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was even a plot point that have Reaper 'ambassadors' sent to the other species telling them to stay out of it, and that they're only here for revenge on the humans because of Shepards actions.

Ukomba:

Not that they are just in a perfect state of existence, Sovereign was talking like they believe they were literal gods, having existed since the beginning of time.

It isn't just that Humans are their greatest threat, but also they're the species the others like the least. Everyone would come to the defense of the Asari, but those dirty humans have this coming to them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was even a plot point that have Reaper 'ambassadors' sent to the other species telling them to stay out of it, and that they're only here for revenge on the humans because of Shepards actions.

Ohhh...I forgot about the God-part, yes, that's partly what I was talking about. What does gods do when mortals strive to reach them or defy them? The tower of Babylonia, anyone? :-p Or that what's-his-name who gave man fire and was punished by it by being lashed to a stone to be picked at by birds all day long...gods are jerks.

As to the humans being the species liked least...I have trouble seeing the Reapers actually strategizing like that, because that would be acknowledging that the galaxy is a threat...then again maybe I'm putting too much stock into that versus their intelligence, plus it would be very cool to see them trying to undermine Shepard via diplomacy...

They released a new version of this trailer, with about 90 more seconds of footage.

Personally, I thought it was a great improvement over the previous one (just seems to have a bit less jarring of cuts).

shado_temple:
They released a new version of this trailer, with about 90 more seconds of footage.

...Somebody toss me a rifle. It's time for payback.

Wow that second trailer was better. Much more visceral, and it does a lot more to tie you in. Or at least that's my opinion.
Thanks for the update, Shado.

That kid looked really weird... Ugh. Anyway, it looks really cool.

Liked the trailer...except the dead child bit, that was pure emotional manipulation with no buildup whatsoever. I really hate petty attempts at twisting my feelings like that (what, the fact that dozens of cities, filled with far more children, wasn't emotional enough? Instead we need a perfect child in a perfect scene to be destroyed?).

Cliché overkill, but, not too awful, I guess.

You can really see where they're marketing more to the shooter audience these days however.

im kind of put off by the trailer, as a person who loves ME1, it looks like a (crappy) sci-fi fps(ohh look they attack citys you know (yep like the other 400 species that try to destroy mankind)), trying to be all epic, you know whats more epic SAVING THE GOD DAMN GALAXY, not a ******* planet which i never visited and never did anything for me (hell i would be more attached if they attacked the main cerberus hq at least those guys revive me), fuck earth im going to save the quarians, and to find a cure for the krogans

I have to agree.

What I liked about the first Mass Effect is that it at least paid half-hearted lip service to Clarke/Asimov style scifi, interwoven in the usual space opera bling, but after the first game I can't help but to get the feeling that somebody is on a mission to root out any such things to only leave the Michael Bay elements remaining.

I realise that this is a minority opinion, but there you go.

As for the extended version of the trailer; It feels rather unfocused -- flash cuts from several previous teasers, just the profitable "visceral" and "compelling" stuff, I suppose, which taken out of context adds nothing but padding.

FEichinger:
... So ... we have tons of Normandy-class shuttles and vessels now? Same goes for Mako and Hammerhead?
Amazing trailer overall, some flaws, as always ... But I still won't give in over Origin, soz, EA.

I saw those Hammerheads and Makos and was just like.... IT'S F*CKING ON NOW REAPER B*TCHES!!!

That got me pumped for march, so glad i pre-ordered the collectors edition back in august. the demo is fun as hell and i'm really excited for the muliplayer, played all last night. Bioware can do multiplayer... huh... who knew?

why does it look like battle la? a faceless enemy? it would be more interesting if we knew the motivaitons then fight faceless enemy. why is america shown and not just the whole world? chimera was interesting because we didnt know if they lived underground or were genetically enginerred.

Vamast:
why does it look like battle la? a faceless enemy? it would be more interesting if we knew the motivaitons then fight faceless enemy. why is america shown and not just the whole world? chimera was interesting because we didnt know if they lived underground or were genetically enginerred.

Watch the full trailer posted earlier, it shows England specifically.

Also in the demo I believe you started in Canada.

GartarkMusik:

wintercoat:

Ignuus66:
The mako's back

The Mako was an excellent piece of artillery, it just handled like shit. At least it could take a beating, unlike the Hammerhead which exploded if you looked at it funny.

May someone please enlighten me as to what exactly was so bad about the Mako from ME? I never had any problems with it......

Well, to steal from Yahtzee for a bit, it handled like a cow in a shopping cart, it thought it was spiderman when presented with a mountain with an angle of more than 70 degrees, and to top it all off, it had those near useless jumpjets.

Vamast:

The reapers aren't faceless. See the giant squid things, those are the actual Reapers. They're sentient bio-mechanical lifeforms larger than starships. They are pretty open and up front when it comes to fighting. Their motivations are pretty clear too. They harvest all intelligent organic life ever 50,000 years to help facilitate their weird bio-mechanical reproductive process and to add to their already super-advanced technology. The people that don't get harvested or slaughtered get turned into bio-mechanical abominations or brainwashed mind-slaves to help seek out and discover pockets of people running away and hiding.

There are quite a few mysteries surrounding the reapers still though, but that's kind of the point. They've been at this for millions of years, and left cycle after cycle of the Milky Way cleansed of all life. Plus, they are HEAVILY inspired by the cosmic horrors of H.P Lovecraft's stories, and being mysterious and impossible to completely know was a large part of what made them so frightening.

Clebold:

GartarkMusik:

wintercoat:

The Mako was an excellent piece of artillery, it just handled like shit. At least it could take a beating, unlike the Hammerhead which exploded if you looked at it funny.

May someone please enlighten me as to what exactly was so bad about the Mako from ME? I never had any problems with it......

Well, to steal from Yahtzee for a bit, it handled like a cow in a shopping cart, it thought it was spiderman when presented with a mountain with an angle of more than 70 degrees, and to top it all off, it had those near useless jumpjets.

I guess I could see why people weren't that happy with it, but I've seen some game vehicles that have handled worse than that. GTA IV, I'm looking at you............

animehermit:

English Stew:

*sigh* at least Bioware's better at killing off children for shock value than Infinity ward is.

It's not really shock value, it's context. It puts a face on the invasion, personalizes it so it's not just numbers and exploding buildings. Besides we don't even see if the girl dies, don't get me wrong, it's implied she dies, but we don't see it.

I agree that Bioware does the death scenes (for the record I was also talking about the boy in the demo) with a good amount of tact - I probably should have made it clear that I was not offended on any kind of moral level.

My problem simply from a literature standpoint, for lack of a better word. I am offended because the trailer expects me to care about a fictional character I know nothing about, simply because she is a child. This is, admittedly, something any number of works and franchises are guilty of; even my favorite author has used it, and clumsily at that. I guess I only got mad in this case cause I saw the same trope used twice in relativly quick succession from the same source.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here