Show Me Your Journo-Face

Pages PREV 1 2

*sigh* Yes, that was a funny comic, but what annoys me is how people are making such broad generalization about ALL Sonic fans? It's the fanbase that sucks, not fans who are outside the fanbase.

Covarr:

anthony87:
I never realised people thought so little of Sonic fans.

You would too, if you spent any amount of time around them. Ever check out the SonicRetro forums? People argue about the most pedantic little things, speak with AUTHORITY on subjective matters as though their word were final, even when the rest of the community is doing the exact same thing with a disagreeing stance... It can be a really unpleasant part of the internet.

That being said, they really do know how to tear apart a Sonic game, find exactly what's wrong with it, and hack it until it's awesome. I'd call them diverse, even EXTREMELY intelligent (well, many of them, at least)... just not particularly sophisticated as a whole.

P.S. Thanks

I'm not trying to be needlessly inflammatory or anything because I love this website, but. . . have you spent any time on the forums here at The Escapist? The average Game Discussion or Off-Topic thread is usually full of people pedantically arguing about how objectively terrible CoD or Battlefield or Gears of War or Halo or Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy or Sonic the Hedgehog or Dead Space or Bioshock or WoW or Batman must be because they personally don't like those games. Or how the entire Mass Effect series is ruined forever because of ten minutes of bad writing after 20-30 hours of excellent writing before it, as well as two great games even further before it.

And heavens forbid you ever bring up George Lucas or the Star Wars brand. This is one of the few websites I've ever seen that will start a thread to bash George Lucas and eventually will devolve into a flame war about how the physics of Star Wars work. It's the one website I've been to that will simultaneously bro-fist you for beating Ornstein and Smough and then have the next comment be insulting you for being a mega-geek or something to be able to get past them. Ooh, or more likely from what I've seen, insulting you for thinking those bosses were hard because they had such an easy time with the fight.

Honestly, any fan-base of any game ever made is likely to be crazy when taken as a whole. Sonic might be particularly so, but it's not specific to them. Just look at what happened with Portal, or what's been happening with Half-Life over the last five years, or World of Warcraft, or Mass Effect, or Silent Hill (who, by this point, should be almost as disappointingly dejected as the Sonic fans), or Metal Gear Solid, or Crysis, or Final Fantasy, or do I need to go on?

EDIT: OT: Pretty funny comic, can't help but feel the interviewee would know the journalist thought he was full of it though. I certainly would at least think the man was crazy if he got a face like that.

Blunderboy:
Hmmm for no reason at all I am reminded of Eternal Nothingness. Strange.

I feel a presence I haven't felt since...

I would prefer that the journo-face be discarded for journalists to simply point out the bull that comes out of interviewees.

Is there any video-game, today, that could be considered to have a sophisticated fan-base? Seems to me that they all devolve into screaming nut-bar flame-war zealots every chance they get.

EDIT: a bit of editing.

Tharwen:

RJ 17:

Baby seal approves of today's comic and the joke of sophisticated Sonic fans.

He also wants to know how Sonic fans are even still around. >.>

That's not a baby seal, it's a furry baguette with a face.

Obviously.

Baby seal will SMITE the non-believers!!!

......after nap time. >.>

That facebleed looks painful.

the author seems to get a kick out of bashing fans ...

never played sonic and probably never talked to a fan, but this comic "joke" consist solely out of the line "Sonic fans are stupid".

And before it was "Complaining Mass Effect fans are stupid". I get the feeling that this comic is done by a troll.

Maybe it will get better but I have nearly given up on this.

Yep. This is true. This happens all the time. Usually during an interview with [name redacted]. I've had to consciously clamp my mouth shut to keep my jaw from dropping at some of the things he's said to my face.

shrekfan246:

Covarr:

anthony87:
I never realised people thought so little of Sonic fans.

You would too, if you spent any amount of time around them. Ever check out the SonicRetro forums? People argue about the most pedantic little things, speak with AUTHORITY on subjective matters as though their word were final, even when the rest of the community is doing the exact same thing with a disagreeing stance... It can be a really unpleasant part of the internet.

That being said, they really do know how to tear apart a Sonic game, find exactly what's wrong with it, and hack it until it's awesome. I'd call them diverse, even EXTREMELY intelligent (well, many of them, at least)... just not particularly sophisticated as a whole.

P.S. Thanks

I'm not trying to be needlessly inflammatory or anything because I love this website, but. . . have you spent any time on the forums here at The Escapist? The average Game Discussion or Off-Topic thread is usually full of people pedantically arguing about how objectively terrible CoD or Battlefield or Gears of War or Halo or Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy or Sonic the Hedgehog or Dead Space or Bioshock or WoW or Batman must be because they personally don't like those games. Or how the entire Mass Effect series is ruined forever because of ten minutes of bad writing after 20-30 hours of excellent writing before it, as well as two great games even further before it.

To be honest, I don't spend much time at the forums here. In fact, pretty much every post I've ever made has been a comment on an article or feature.

I'm curious just how pedantic other fanbases get. I recall reading through a few dozen pages of tantrums over the first teaser for Sonic 4 Episode 1, simply because of the color of his eyes. They claimed the whole game would be terrible on that basis alone (it was terrible, but for unrelated reasons).

I think what makes the Sonic fanbase more problematic than some, though, is two things:

1. The wild fluctuation in quality of the games. If they were consistently bad, there probably wouldn't be much of a fanbase (or much of a series, for that matter). If they were consistently good, then fans wouldn't go completely insane every year. But nobody really knows what to expect from a new Sonic game, which leads to rampant speculation on both sides, and creates an environment just begging for arguments to break out.

I'll use your Mass Effect example to support this theory. Fans loved the series, and din't have a problem with it, until a sudden shift in quality. Even though I am led to understand the series was great until that point (haven't played 'em, so I can't speak from experience), it's the massive swing that leads to a similarly massive swing in fanbase attitudes. As the old saying goes, "The bigger they come, the harder they fall," and that definitely applies here.

Now imagine that happening over and over again, like a rollercoaster that derails, falls through sheer luck perfectly onto a different part of the track, and then derails again, in an endless cycle. That leads to a level of chaos that can't easily be escaped.

2. The Sonic fanbase is just too big. There are people with thousands of differing perspectives, from all walks of life. The more people you have, the more likely they are to disagree. The more they have to disagree on (which is a lot, since they also spend so much time speculating), the higher the tension level in general is going to be. Add to that the occasional injection of unnecessary drama (members trying to take over sites, DRM in a fangame, even allowing a group that large to discuss politics and religion), and you've just got a recipe for disaster after disaster.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying other fanbases aren't this bad. But the only other fanbase I have any real level of familiarity with is FF7, which is less ranting lunatics and more people with Cloud in their name rambling about how cool Sephiroth is. Not as much brain activity overall (there is some locked away in small corners, such as many of the FF7-mod-producing folks at qhimm.com), but for the most part far more peaceful.

Is the Sonic fanbase overall more immaturity-prone than most? I lack the broad experience to say. But among those few that I know fairly well, it's certainly the least grounded in civility. A pity, because it's also the most technically impressive that I've seen across the internet.

P.S. Thanks

I'm not sure what I found funnier, The comic or the fact that the words "Sonic brand has a very diverse and sophisticated fanbase"

Is there really a fanbase one can describe as "sophisticated"? Anywhere?

Oh god that face in panel 3. I lost it. Best reaction face ever.

I was laughing more at the quote than at the journo-face xD
How can anyone say that with a straight face?

I was about to defend them from this when I remembered this

and this

As far as the comic goes though it really wasn't that great, what the man said in real life in the interview was funny, this was just taking it and making no joke on its own save for explaining that what he said was funny.

I originally thought he killed the guy from the funeral at the end, so ... as criticism maybe the direction didn't read that well. (mind you I missed the "6 months" bit haha)

Aroddo:
the author seems to get a kick out of bashing fans ...

never played sonic and probably never talked to a fan, but this comic "joke" consist solely out of the line "Sonic fans are stupid".

And before it was "Complaining Mass Effect fans are stupid". I get the feeling that this comic is done by a troll.

Maybe it will get better but I have nearly given up on this.

Hehe.

It's just "current affairs" being used to prove an unrelated point. It just so happens there is a real-world interview recently that can be used as the topic to trigger this comic's point, so it got used.

If Half Life Episode 3 suddenly is released tomorrow and it has... ... I donno, platform levels (re: Xen levels) as an example, you betcha your ass our dear author will severely MOCK platforming in FPSs using that new game as the vehicle of the joke.

I shudder at the thought of Gordon Freeman going "It'saa me, Mario!"

Kind of reminded me of this.

Yeah, Barbara Walters needs to practice her journo-face.

him over there:
I was about to defend them from this when I remembered this

and this

As far as the comic goes though it really wasn't that great, what the man said in real life in the interview was funny, this was just taking it and making no joke on its own save for explaining that what he said was funny.

I know I just bought a ticket to hell for this, but I laughed in the first video. The man's hatred for Amy is just...sad. And the end made me throw up a little.

OT: Oi! Not all Sonic fans are batshit insane. The rest of us just quietly wait for a decent game to come out every few years.

The comic was hilarious though. His face in second and third panels are golden.

Oh, that's just mean spirited. As someone who doesn't interact with sonic fans and as someone who probably missed the event that gave this stigma to the sonic fans in the first place, can someone please explain to me what the problem with the sonic fan base is? Is it just because they like the terrible to meh games, or is it their attitudes? This comic seems like that kind of broad over-generalization that I hate and expect from something like Fox.

Normally i would be annoyed that this comic has broken the golden rule of the internet gaming community (1. Do NOT talk about the Sonic Fanbase). Yet, i can't help but laugh at how true it is and honestly? I'm surprised he held it in for six months..i'd have lost it within 6 seconds.

That man has some serious self control.

Diverse? Yeah, that's why we can never agree on shit (The genesis era was better, no the DC era was better, no the hedgehog engine is best, etc. etc.)
Sophisticated? Pfffftttaaaaa...ha ha haaaaaa. *gasp*

jdogtwodolla:
Oh, that's just mean spirited. As someone who doesn't interact with sonic fans and as someone who probably missed the event that gave this stigma to the sonic fans in the first place, can someone please explain to me what the problem with the sonic fan base is? Is it just because they like the terrible to meh games, or is it their attitudes? This comic seems like that kind of broad over-generalization that I hate and expect from something like Fox.

While yes, a lot of video game fandoms tend to get ridiculous, but the Sonic fandom has gained a lot of infamy over the years. I think everyone will give you a different answer as to why they think the fandom is so bad, but for me it's the art. I've seen way too many people on DeviantArt obsessively flaunt their recolored characters, claim them as OCs, get really self-important, and then get up in a frenzy when someone tells them that they aren't real artists for using the fill tool in MS Paint. At least for me, this happens with insane frequency in the Sonic fanbase, moreso than other fandoms.

Also, there's Chris-chan. I can't link his ED article here, cause ED is pretty NSFW, but you have to go look it up if you haven't already.

I commend his endurance against the Giggle Loop.

Seriously? Noone has qoute this guy looking like Kira yet? ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65oaIHsdYM

There. ^_^

rembrandtqeinstein:
I was lost as a member of the sonic fanbase back when Sonic Adventure for dreamcast came out. And they made it so you STOPPED RUNNING when you slightly touched a wall.

I was hoping that would be Sonic's Mario 64 breakthrough moment but alas the guys at Sega were so busy patting themselves on the back about how awesome the dreamcast technology was they forgot to make a game.

Mahorfeus:
It's sad really. As much as I loved the Sonic Adventure games, they were such huge pieces of crap.

It's news to me that Sonic Adventure itself is so poorly regarded; I remember everyone being crazy about the first one, and to a lesser extent the second one at the time, and while I never had a Dreamcast, I recently bought the PC version on a Steam sale, and I have to say, it's what a 3D sonic game should be. The series did take a nosedive after that, though, reaching an absolute nadir with Sonic 2006. Seriously, in that one you really did stop if you bumped into a wall unless there was a canned animation for it -- and even the canned animations were more likely to glitch out and kill you than not. In Adventure, the physics were based on the side scrollers, and you'd run up any walls that weren't completely vertical.

Well, that's the problem with media presentations. To be honest I supposed "diverse and sophisticated" does apply, given that it has multiple facets and some fairly complex desires. Basically you've got the 30-something original sonic fans, the furries, and of course kids who are given Sonic games due to it's long standing image as a "kid safe" property.

In short to develop a sonic game they have to try and walk between the raindrops of the new technology kids today are expecting, the retro desires of the original fans in an era where fairly straightforward 2d platformers aren't common, and those who are into sonic simply due to the anthromorphics... coming up with artwork that is inherantly kid friendly but open to deviant sexualization by a fan community probably isn't as easy as many people give it credit for.

Spelling all that out wouldn't flow well in a speech, and probably wouldn't be considered positive. All three of those audiences need to be catered to, while many people would be thinking "WTF" in regards to the furries, if you look at the material out there about Sonic on various art sites and so on, you'll see it's been going on for years and years. That fan base, while creepy, has been a part of the platform holding up Der Hedgehog for this long. It's also the most reliable part of the platform since the original fans of "classic" Sonic tend to be constantly disappointed and buy products sporadically, while the interest of kids has always been transient, with an interest in Sonic fading in and out. The Furries however have pretty much always been there with their deviant art pages, and "alternative lifestyle" pages. Basically when you check out sites like say Encyclopedia Dramatica and similar and find that people have covered "Sonic Themed Furpiles" (ie orgies full of furries in suits) complete with eye-burning photos (no, I have not checked recently, but I imagine I could find links easily enough, I just won't because it would probably violate Escapist policy... and really you DON'T want to see it even if you think you do) with some surprising regularity, your looking at a market so fanatical where they probably buy up every Sonic property there is and represent a marketing force... basically if these guys buy crotchless/buttless fursuits (and perhaps more than one to become differant characters) which can cost thousands of dollars apiece, it's a foregone conclusion they are going to buy your next game. I'd imagine that if various expose/dark humor/internet culture<mocking> sites have covered and outed this, TEAM SONIC can't exactly be oblivious.

Tharwen:

RJ 17:

Baby seal approves of today's comic and the joke of sophisticated Sonic fans.

He also wants to know how Sonic fans are even still around. >.>

That's not a baby seal, it's a furry baguette with a face.

Obviously.

Mmmm... furry baguette.... *drool*

OT: kinda funny strip, but I don't really think it was all that good. Going out of your way to mock the Sonic fanbase isn't something I expected--it's pretty played out at this point. I don't give a shit about the games, lol, just seems... old.

templar1138a:
I commend his endurance against the Giggle Loop.

Sssshh! To know about the Giggle Loop, is to become part of the Giggle Loop!

(also, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw the comic).

Therumancer:
Well, that's the problem with media presentations. To be honest I supposed "diverse and sophisticated" does apply, given that it has multiple facets and some fairly complex desires. Basically you've got the 30-something original sonic fans, the furries, and of course kids who are given Sonic games due to it's long standing image as a "kid safe" property.

In short to develop a sonic game they have to try and walk between the raindrops of the new technology kids today are expecting, the retro desires of the original fans in an era where fairly straightforward 2d platformers aren't common, and those who are into sonic simply due to the anthromorphics... coming up with artwork that is inherantly kid friendly but open to deviant sexualization by a fan community probably isn't as easy as many people give it credit for.

Spelling all that out wouldn't flow well in a speech, and probably wouldn't be considered positive. All three of those audiences need to be catered to, while many people would be thinking "WTF" in regards to the furries, if you look at the material out there about Sonic on various art sites and so on, you'll see it's been going on for years and years. That fan base, while creepy, has been a part of the platform holding up Der Hedgehog for this long. It's also the most reliable part of the platform since the original fans of "classic" Sonic tend to be constantly disappointed and buy products sporadically, while the interest of kids has always been transient, with an interest in Sonic fading in and out. The Furries however have pretty much always been there with their deviant art pages, and "alternative lifestyle" pages. Basically when you check out sites like say Encyclopedia Dramatica and similar and find that people have covered "Sonic Themed Furpiles" (ie orgies full of furries in suits) complete with eye-burning photos (no, I have not checked recently, but I imagine I could find links easily enough, I just won't because it would probably violate Escapist policy... and really you DON'T want to see it even if you think you do) with some surprising regularity, your looking at a market so fanatical where they probably buy up every Sonic property there is and represent a marketing force... basically if these guys buy crotchless/buttless fursuits (and perhaps more than one to become differant characters) which can cost thousands of dollars apiece, it's a foregone conclusion they are going to buy your next game. I'd imagine that if various expose/dark humor/internet culture<mocking> sites have covered and outed this, TEAM SONIC can't exactly be oblivious.

I... can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Is he in the process of eating his own face in the third panel? If so, it is insufficient. At that level of stupid radiation, or stupidiation if you will, his brain should be liquifying and dribbling out of his ears.

So I'm assuming the comic was implying that he was holding in his laughter from the stupidity of that Sonic fanbase comment so long that it just came out randomly at the funeral? That has to be awkward as all hell, it must be fun trying to explain your laughter at a place like that.

Anyway the Sonic fanbase is far from "sophisticated", the majority of them are nostalgia laden prudes that can't let go of the past and accept that the Sonic games are alright the way they are. Yes I like the 3D games, sue me if you don't like it (please don't sue me please :D).

Okay, I'm officially on the fence on whether to use panel 3 as my new avatar or not...

Using the word "sophisticated" to describe the Sonic brand fanbase--Cute.
Corking a laugh for half a year--Epic.
Laughing at a funeral--Win.
For everything else, there's Tobuscus. Bless your face.

Praise the god of deadpan.

ARISE!

CHICKEN!

Captcha says: question mark?

If you sneezed while reading this comment--how fucking DARE you.

BX3:

Therumancer:

I... can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Oh, it's not a joke. Though it's healthy to take whatever Therumancer says with a healthy grain of salt. Unsurprisingly he has focused on the furry fanbase surrounding sonic. Furries are fans of Sonic, also Star Fox and any other thing that has anthropomorphic animals.

He's right about the hot and cold nature of sonic fans though. They are vocal and known for their behaviors. Say what you will about the older demographic, they have the money to buy the games, and they do buy them along with merchandise. It's funny that the guy said that in those specific words, though. Companies are always aware of who is buying their products and what demographics, but it might be some time before they publicly acknowledge them. It goes back to what they say about anime. The anime industry has been declining for years, but one facet has been doing fine, and even making more profits. Hentai. This is because those fans stick around. It's just another reminder that the end of everything will ultimately be porn.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here