Unskippable: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

You have been tasked with the simple task of saving the free world. No pressure.

Watch Video

Whelp, off to Fight more wars! apparently there were other games before Medal of Honor that used the title.

Chinchilla: fuzzy Mexican rodent.
Chihuahua: dog-like Mexican rodent.

Also, taking bets the intro scene from Future Soldier is exactly the same with slightly different textures and dialogue.

Isn't the intro to Future Soldier an ambush? Regardless, souunds like EB games to me...

Despite me playing the games I had no idea that Wil Wheaton was in the Ghost Recon games until just now. (Well, Ghost Recon 2 and both the G.R.A.W games)

Also, isn't that the voice of the Agency from Crackdown, instead of Campbell from MGS?

Oh EB games the mistakes you make. hopefully they actually let you get the real game, and didn't do the Dick thing of saying sorry you have to buy the actual game. its almost like gamecase rullet.

Huh... if this cutscene is any indication, the game is about riding in various vehicles while being fed exposition.

Wow. Ya really got the wrong game?

Well if so, all I have to say is;
Sometimes the best comedy is unintended.
:D Good show today! As usual.

1. Vaguely expecting the driver to start going on about "Gangnam Style".

2. I don't tell who to shoot by the color of their skin! I tell it by the color my crosshair turns when I move it over them! Duh!

3. Tom Clancy really let his name be put on this writing? Is he showing any oversight at all, these days?

Touched by a Ghost staring Wil Wheaton coming to Lifetime this spring.

"sometimes an angel isnt enough"

Andy Shandy:
Also, isn't that the voice of the Agency from Crackdown, instead of Campbell from MGS?

Yeah, I didn't think it sounded like Campbell. Even when Paul Eiding tries to disguise his voice I can still pick him out and that wasn't Paul Eiding.

You guys still have EB games? Aww... Ours was bought out by GameStop...

Featuring Steve Blum as the world's biggest Steve Blum fanboy.

dragongit:
Whelp, off to Fight more wars! apparently there were other games before Medal of Honor that used the title.

Yeah, apparently the term is actually used by segments of the U.S. military, but it still sounds kind of...on the nose to me. Especially coming from an institution that habitually obfuscates the most straightforward concepts behind a blizzard of abbreviations.

Guys I understand that box might be different, but the there is print on the disc too
Check it before going outside from shop.

Well, you can call "derp" on EB Games for that one.

Also, ANIMANIACS!! Fun fact: Rob Paulsen knows the whole song by heart.

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Shandy:

Yeah, I didn't think it sounded like Campbell. Even when Paul Eiding tries to disguise his voice I can still pick him out and that wasn't Paul Eiding.

I've heard his voice in animes as well.

tehweave:

It's the same company. After the buyout happened GameStop changed the store names to EB or GameStop based on brand loyalty in the area. In some countries there are no GameStops and only EB games, and vice versa in others. I have an old business card in one of my game boxes that has EB games info on one side and Gamestop info on the other.

Since all those Modern Military Shooters are pretty much interchangeable does it really matter which one your doing?
j/k

Callate:
3. Tom Clancy really let his name be put on this writing? Is he showing any oversight at all, these days?

The game came out five years ago.

Also, he sold his name to Ubisoft four years ago in case you didn't know.

Before that, Ubisoft licensed it and he had some say (though not a lot). Contrary to popular belief, he didn't write the stories or have much involvement in the development of games (except for the earliest Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games when they were being developed by his own company). But now that Ubisoft own his name they can put it on whatever they want, like H.A.W.X and shit.

Also his newest books are "co-authored" (read: ghostwritten).

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Shandy:

Yeah I was gonna say I'm reasonably certain that's not the Colonel, but I can never tell when the guys are just being ironic.

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Shandy:

Wiseblood:

Glad I'm not the only guy to catch that. i love those "Hey, it's that voice!" (must...not...link to... TVTropes page...with...that name!) moments in media. I heard The Colonel's voice in Season 2, Episode 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender as the governor of Fire Nation-occupied Omashu and Mae's dad. In Blum's case, it's not much of a challenge if he's in almost everything.

tehweave:

"EB Games? Now that's a name I haven't heard in along time..." paraphrasing Obi-Wan Kenobi
All we have where I live are GameStops now. Where are Paul and Graham that still have EB?

Oh my God, I loved this game and series so much until Ubisoft ruined it with GR: FS

The fun thing about comedy is that every mistake made, can just be used for more comedy. :)

Cyrus Hanley:
Contrary to popular belief, he didn't write the stories or have much involvement in the development of games (except for the earliest Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games when they were being developed by his own company). But now that Ubisoft own his name they can put it on whatever they want, like H.A.W.X and shit.

So if one of the newer books contradicted something in one of the earlier books he wrote himself, then it'd be a...

...ghost retcon?

http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o

Cyrus Hanley:
(snip)

I did have some awareness of what had happened since he sold out Red Storm Entertainment to Ubisoft. It just feels weird to see an author's name reduced to little more than a brand, especially in service of the kind of writing that screams, "Thanks for the sum-up, Naked Exposition Man!" I may not have thought he was a particularly great author, but he was better than that.

Thanks for the detailed summary, though; it's true I wasn't aware of all of that.

Interesting tidbit about a large number of US Army bases. They're named after individuals instead of ideas. Fort Bliss is named after General Bliss. Fort Bragg is named after General Bragg.

Navy bases are named after the city/town they're in, and cross reference to the type of base they are. Naval Station 32nd Street San Diego is named the way it is because there's several Naval Stations in the area. Naval Air Station Jacksonville is named as an Air Station in Jacksonville. Naval Weapons Stations have weapons. It's a lot easier to figure out that the whole where's stuff in the Army thing. It's even more fun at places like Fort Campbell, which is a base that spans parts of two states. Get the PO Box in Tennessee because insurance is cheaper.

Andy Shandy:

Yeah, I could've sworn I was hearing Commander "Lightspeed" Kenny from Star Ocean 4....

So, what have we learned today, kids?

That's right. Never go to EB.

Go to Gamestop, or download from XBLA/PSN/Steam or whatever, but never go to EB.

I served at Fort Waterpark during the gulf war. It was pretty sweet, actually.

graham's countries of the world is always a winner

Darth_Payn:

tehweave:

"EB Games? Now that's a name I haven't heard in along time..." paraphrasing Obi-Wan Kenobi
All we have where I live are GameStops now. Where are Paul and Graham that still have EB?

Canada! Not sure if it's a Canada thing or just a BC thing or what, but we've got a coupla EB Games here in Kelowna, too. The terrible EB Games where you can't trade in games, because of a city bylaw meant to protect pawn shop owners or something, I don't know, but if I wanted to trade stuff in, I'd have to go out of town.

Advertising for local EB locations still mention trade ins. Hooray.

Darth_Payn:

tehweave:

We used to have EB Games in the UK too, until they were merged/bought out by GAME... who have recently bought out/merged with Gamestation. Honestly I can't keep up any more!

Has anyone actually played this game? I do not get what the story is supposed to be about? Rebels (isnt' that generic term just getting silly at this point?) popping up all over Mexico and Central America...why? to oppose that vague North American United front that seems...iffy. Anyway, the fanboy gushing made me laugh because a) Chapultepec Castle is now a museum and concert hall atop the hill in what's effectively Mexico City's Central Park. Yeah....I don't know why rebels with even entrench themselves there. b) Zocalo plaza is like the worst place to mount resistence to firepower. It's a huge flat, empty square surrounded by buildings crying to be sniper hideouts. With such stupid strategic resistance I can't understand how that rebel force hasn't been wiped out yet.

Wiseblood:

I was surprised they didn't say anything about that

Callate:

Cyrus Hanley:
(snip)

I did have some awareness of what had happened since he sold out Red Storm Entertainment to Ubisoft. It just feels weird to see an author's name reduced to little more than a brand, especially in service of the kind of writing that screams, "Thanks for the sum-up, Naked Exposition Man!" I may not have thought he was a particularly great author, but he was better than that.

Thanks for the detailed summary, though; it's true I wasn't aware of all of that.

Yeah his name pretty much is just a brand now (reinforced by the CEO of Ubisoft referring to it as such).

And the decision was purely business. By doing it he pretty much ceded whatever creative control he had left of the franchises he was attached to for a very large sum of money.

Keith Fraser:

Cyrus Hanley:
Contrary to popular belief, he didn't write the stories or have much involvement in the development of games (except for the earliest Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games when they were being developed by his own company). But now that Ubisoft own his name they can put it on whatever they want, like H.A.W.X and shit.

So if one of the newer books contradicted something in one of the earlier books he wrote himself, then it'd be a...

...ghost retcon?

http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o

Haha, nice one!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook