The Big Picture: Worst Movies of 2012

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Branded didn't really come off as mean spirited to me, at all. It was just really blunt. And overly long and somewhat confusing. It did have a good message on how advertising can influence society into accepting extremely unhealthy things.

It didn't really feel like the worst movie of 2012 to me. That's reserved for The Hunger Games in my opinion. The movie started strong and then proceeded to torpedo itself to the bottom of the deep once the actual Games started.

StriderShinryu:

Vault Citizen:
I've been looking forward to les mis so I hope that it is better than Movie Bob thinks it is.

If you like the musical, you'll probably like the movie. That said, and while I certainly enjoyed the movie, I just don't think there's much purpose to it. If you're already a fan of the musical, all the movie will make you do is think of how much better the live production is. If you're not already a fan of the musical, the movie isn't good enough at presenting the same material to get you to want to see the live production. It's kind of stuck in a sort of no man's land.

Anyway, as to the movie itself, I can understand not liking the story but, well, that's the story. They didn't really change anything from the musical so I'm not sure I really feel the criticism of the movie feeling disjointed in the third act is a completely valid one when referenced in such a way that you're pinning the problem on the movie alone. I didn't find the direction and staging that distracting but it's a very common complaint so I would imagine it was just something I in particular wasn't too thrown by. Crowe is defintely the weak link singing wise as, while not a bad singer in his own right, he just doesn't have the power that the role demands. Compare him to the actors who generally play the role in the live production and he comes up staggeringly short. Kudos to the casting, however, in using perhaps the most known actor who's played Valjean in the movie as the priest. Was a nice nod to the fans and brought a smile to my face.

Thank you for the help:)

Les Mis, will be going to watch that soon. Just about every criticism of the film can also be leveled at the original musical too. My worry is, that critics are simply going to see this as 'Mama Mia 2: The Revenge', when it's anything but.

Bob forgot Dark Knight Rises. Like, every one of those comments about Spider-man could also be said about Dark Knight Rises.

It mangled its character, it is inferior to the previous movies, and is not good on its own. The actors are all miscast or misdirected, the script is all over the place, nobody's actions make any sense, all the new or altered parts of the mythos are just awful.

Also the fact that there is almost no Batman in it.

So, Amazing Spider-Man and Les Mis were WORSE than Expendables 2, Battleship, and American Reunion?

Every time I think Bob has formed a decent opinion, he pulls some shit like this. Bob, I usually enjoy watching your reviews, but I stopped actually giving them much credit as actual criticism after you told us that we were supposed to ignore that Avatar was badly written, badly acted, and in general boring in spite of the pretty pictures.

At least Bob didn't go into a ten minute rant about how high school sucks.

I live somewhere that doesn't do plays or theater, and when I heard Les Miserables was getting a theatrical release big enough even for my two-multiplex town, I was hyped. I would like to get into theater, and I figured a movie like this would make for, if not a stepping stone (you need somewhere else to step to in order for it to be a stepping stone), then at least an okay compromise.

But I do not know or know of a single person who will say both "I like it" and "I saw it." A lot of people will say one or the other, but not both. I'm disappointed to see it on this list, but not surprised. Tsk.

Oh, well. Thanks for another good video, Mr. Chipman.

Could've sworn Jack Reacher would be on the list...

CrazyGirl17:
Eh, I haven't seen most of these movies (except for some of The Watch, and I might like to see the Lorax to gauge it for myself)

Though my biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-man is that they had to cancel the awesome Spectacular Spider-man cartoon just to make it. Thanks a fucking lot Marvel/Disney/Sony. -_-

As for your #1 pick, I think the concept sounds interesting... but it could have been done better. Maybe as a mix of They Live and Supersize Me. Maybe.

Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled at the same time that a lot of shows were killed, including the Legion of Super-Heroes. The reason for this is CW was forming and UPN and WB needed to trim the fat as it were.

Also, you can't blame Marvel and Disney for this one either. Marvel was not owned by Disney at the time.

As for Sony, well they only have movie rights to work with. They had no control over what TV is made.

Oh, who would have guess, That Spiderman would be on the list. It ain't like you have BITCH about it for a whole fucking year. Also, that you didn't put, Thats my boy on the list (A fucking Adam Sandler film) just blow my mind. It is an awful POS that shit all over the audience IQ and think it is funny.

malestrithe:

CrazyGirl17:
Eh, I haven't seen most of these movies (except for some of The Watch, and I might like to see the Lorax to gauge it for myself)

Though my biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-man is that they had to cancel the awesome Spectacular Spider-man cartoon just to make it. Thanks a fucking lot Marvel/Disney/Sony. -_-

As for your #1 pick, I think the concept sounds interesting... but it could have been done better. Maybe as a mix of They Live and Supersize Me. Maybe.

Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled at the same time that a lot of shows were killed, including the Legion of Super-Heroes. The reason for this is CW was forming and UPN and WB needed to trim the fat as it were.

Also, you can't blame Marvel and Disney for this one either. Marvel was not owned by Disney at the time.

As for Sony, well they only have movie rights to work with. They had no control over what TV is made.

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. So I should blame UPN and WB then?

With the exception of Les Mis(Planning to see it later this week) it's exactly what I expected you to say, and fairly close to what my list would be but I skipped a lot of those movies my only changes would be change Spider Man for Batman(all the thing you say about Spider Man are several times worse in The Dark Knight).

I haven't seen any of these movies and now I probably won't watch them if I get some time, especially Les Miserables as musicals are not my thing.

Pretty good list. There were a couple things on there that I actually liked (I really expected to hate Amazing Spiderman but I thought the douchey wuss was way closer to Peter Parker than any other incarnation I've yet seen, and I'm an easy sell for R-rated comedies with boobs so American Reunion got a pass from me), but a couple of the ones you hated made me happy.

Firstly: I'm glad that somebody with some testes has the guts to say to an internet full of ladies that Les Miserables is terrible. I realize that there's a large population that's going to squee because it's a musical that they can drag luckless bastards to, but somebody needs to look at it objectively to see if the movie pulls it off at all well.

Secondly: It's telling that I went out of my way to see Branded before any reviews had come out and yet I forgot it ever happened maybe 6 months later. An awful, mean, dumb and stuck-up movie that absolutely deserves to be forgotten and/or hated. For 2012, there is no more appropriate atrocity to don the 'laurels' of worst movie.

Sylveria:
Who the hell keeps giving M. Night work!?

bigger question that answers your question: How the ever loving fuck did last airbender gross 300 million bucks?

wait wait wait
the bad guy for ASM 2 is going to be electro? just electro?
WHAT IN THE HELL?! are they trying to make these movies suck? why the heck do they insist of using those b list villians? its not like spidy doesnt have good villians he does!
doc ock, green goblin,the sinister freaking six! how hard would it be to use them instead of freaking electro and the lizard?! (and yes i am fully aware that electro is a reacuring member of the sinister 6) this is just frustrating...

The Amazing Spiderman as #2? A bit higher then I expected it to be but yeah it does (to me) belong to the top 10 worst movies of 2012. As for the other movies, I can understand why. A lot of them have one thing in common ... and it's that they're based on poorly written plots or scripts.

This Means War is the perfect example. Two spies using high tech in order to win a girl over? That movie is so silly, and lacks any real depth other then 'Yeah spies fighting over a woman using government funded gadgets in order to show who's the better spy ... sounds legit.'

Another fine example is The Lorax. It's an animated film which should draw your attention and entertain to the fullest especially because it's a movie based on Dr. Sues so .. it should be great. But, it focuses way to much on proving it's point where it feels forced and nothing happens really except that everyone at the end *spoilers* accepts that trees should be cared for in forests. It's to unrealistic to be immersed in.

So basically, all the movies (almost) were given poor plots or scripts that we couldn't take seriously or get absorbed into.

I expected Amazing Spiderman to be no. 1 but you surprised me there. It's still true that I loved the film more than Spiderman 1,3 and so did most of the people I saw it with but I guess these things happen. Also I didn't hate American Pie and I don't know if calling the crudloads of people who liked it deluded is interpreting said like in a smart way.

I enjoyed the jokes in this one though =D And got through a lot incredibly efficiently considering you needed a small Les Mis review in the middle. I liked the play for the songs but felt the plot was as much of a mess as you describe. I always feel sorry for the failed love interest because even the play seems to accidentally paint her as the true faithful person who would have made him happy, sadly ignored for his two week crush

DVS BSTrD:
Directed by Shabamalama? Shame I was almost looking forward to see Jaden Smith back on the big screen :(
Amazing SpiderMan 2: Hair Jell hiding-my-face-turns-me-into-a-Labeef-sounding McDouche-erson vs an anemic Steel.

Don't hold me to this, but most of M Night StupidIdiot's worst was stuff he wrote himself. As simply a director with someone else in the writers chair, it may not be that bad. We'll see.

RTR:
I never sawz ASM because I believed how stupid it would be. This video more or less confirms my fears.

In all fairness you could do a review for any film like that and make it seem like the worst film to have ever been concieved.

It's actually not though. It's much better than any of the other Spiderman movies. (with the possible exception of the second one, if that's not just my nostalgia goggles acting up.)

Swap in Dark Knight Rises for Les Mis, and I'm fine with the list. All of Bob's criticism of the movie is the criticism of the work itself. If you go in liking the musical, you'll probably love the movie, though you might have a gripe with the fact that Russell Crowe's voice isn't deep enough for Javert, or that he only sang, and didn't really emote, but other wise it's a damn good piece. It's not like you'd go see a movie adaptation of a musical that still has the songs and weigh it on it's cinematic merits anyway, so his inclusion of it here seems like he's criticizing an orange for not being enough like an apple. Yeah, they're both fruits, but we're not exactly here for the same thing, are we?

I agree with Les Miserables. I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it failed as a movie where it could have succeeded as a real Broadway show.

Mr.PlanetEater:
I agree with Les Miserables. I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it failed as a movie where it could have succeeded as a real Broadway show.

Could have?
http://www.lesmis.com/uk/history/facts-and-figures/

Where was 21 Jump Street on that list, and how was Expendables 2 and Spider Man worse than it?

Littaly:
Les Miserables at third place feels a little like "Hey! Look at my loud and controversial opinion!". I haven't seen it, and I don't think I'm going to since it doesn't look like my kind of movie, but I have a hard time imagining one of the top Best Picture contenders really being an overall worse movie than the latest American Pie, regardless of how much you think people are over hyping it.

The only reason why it would be considered a controversial opinion is because the theatre nuts go on and on about how perfect the musical is, and anyone willing to criticise will be drowned by the same arguments the progressive and super smart amazing musical theatre people can come up with, including how its the greatest musical of all time based of the greatest french novel of all time, how you don't like it because its through composed, and then they'll even list they're favourite recordings of adaptations that were probably better then the film, which somehow makes their point redundant. Don't worry, I can easily qualify my statement with that I worked with music theatre kids, and I've seen all their arguments.

And I have no problem with it being higher then American Pie on the worst movie list of 2012.

I knew Spider-man would be on here, I'm just kind of glad he restrained himself and didn't make it number 1 like he probably wanted to. I'm sorry but looking at all the complaints he listed, I swear I saw a different movie than him.

Also The Spectacular Spider-man's interpretation of Electro was pretty dang cool, so I hope ASM 2 will follow in their footsteps.

Jegsimmons:

Sylveria:
Who the hell keeps giving M. Night work!?

bigger question that answers your question: How the ever loving fuck did last airbender gross 300 million bucks?

Because us naive Avatar fans didn't know any better until it was too late...

MovieBob:
Worst Movies of 2012

See which movies MovieBob branded as the worst films of 2012.

Watch Video

Regarding Les Miserables:

There's a fundamental issue here, and it's that most of your criticism is aimed at the story itself. For that, we must blame Victor Hugo. And to do that, you'd have to go way back in time... to a different place in literature. The whole story borders on allegorical, so of course Javert seems like "the only cop in France." He's meant to represent that entire way of thinking. Each character is basically an archetype. Good writing? Bad writing? Hard to say... but also irrelevant.

The other problem that stems from the fundamental issue is that this is not "a movie adaptation of the story of Les Miserables." It's a movie adaptation of the musical Les Miserables. As such, it's not designed to showcase the story, but to showcase the songs (which, on their own, can do a wonderful job of capturing the emotion of the story).

Soooo, yeah, I get it. You're in the unfortunate position of having to criticize this as a film, when that only tells half the story. But realizing that might have been enough for you to save that spot for another, more deserving "worst film."

------

Also, complete agreement that Russell Crowe was poorly cast. It's obvious to everyone, except whoever cast him. Biggest mistake of the movie.

Second biggest? Keeping the camera planted squarely up the nose of every singer, rather than using the wonderful medium of cinema to show what can't be shown on stage. But again, this comes back to a misunderstanding of what the film is: It's not showcasing the story, it's showcasing the (very deserving) music.

And Anne Hathaway needs something gold for bringing more life to "I Dreamed a Dream" than any previous singer.

I almost expected him to put TDKR as number one just to fuck with us.

JimB:
I live somewhere that doesn't do plays or theater, and when I heard Les Miserables was getting a theatrical release big enough even for my two-multiplex town, I was hyped. I would like to get into theater, and I figured a movie like this would make for, if not a stepping stone (you need somewhere else to step to in order for it to be a stepping stone), then at least an okay compromise.

But I do not know or know of a single person who will say both "I like it" and "I saw it." A lot of people will say one or the other, but not both. I'm disappointed to see it on this list, but not surprised. Tsk.

Seen it three times, thus far, loved it. But I loved the musical, too.

Two of the ladies I went with were totally blind and they adored it too, so...!

(also, while I fear Cosette is a forever one-note role, Eddie Redmayne lends a ton of heart and soul to Marius; he's easily the best I've ever seen the role portrayed)

I actually didn't mind Russell Crowe in Les Miserables. Sure he wasn't as good as Jackman or Hatheway, but I still enjoyed his scenes. Then again, it feels more like Bob put Les Mis at that position on his list because he's still bitter about The King's Speech (a pretty fine film in and of itself) winning Best Picture two years before. Even if you think it's bad, putting it (and Spiderman, for that matter) ahead of all the other legitimately terrible schlock on the list just feels like sour grapes.

JimB:

I saw it. I liked it.

I'll agree with the criticisms leveled at it as a film - that is, Russell Crowe is the weak link and Hooper's directing during the big solo musical numbers is absolutely abysmal - but as a musical film, it's great.

The performances are astounding, and it certainly conveys both the story of Les Miserables and captures the feeling of the musical Les Miserables.

On Amazing Spider-Man, I'm just going to say again: It's still better than Spider-Man 2 or 3. The Lizard's story is ridiculous and the CGI used for his face is stupid, but I really can't agree with the characterization of Peter Parker or the character interactions. Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben in particular stood out when compared to the first Spider-Man, and Garfield plays a sort of Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker really well.

I can't help but feel that the real problem with Number Three is that you probably don't like the show. I have yet to talk to anyone who loves the musical that doesn't think the movie is pretty fantastic. And Russell Crowe CAN sing Broadway style which is why he did do a good job as the Javert with that deep voice of his. The one complaint I have heard is that whole song in the carriage after Valjean saves little Cosette was made up for the movie and does not exist in the show. Which is strange because they didn't do that with any other songs, though they did abbreviate a few of them. The love of Marius and Cosette exists to shed more like on Valjean's character. I can see someone's dislike for musical theatre as the cause for this movie to be on the list, but third worst? Haha, it's all good though, we all have our opinions. I went with my girlfriend (who has a degree in theatre) and I expected to not enjoy myself at all, but I was blown away by the production. The only weird thing about the directing for me is all the closeups on the characters faces. I just don't know why it happened so much. It made sense in the context of some scenes (such as Ann Hathaway in her big number), but not in so many other places. I can see no award for directing but pretty much the whole rest of the show was really good.

Edit: As proof of how different opinions can be: a movie Bob really liked that would have made this list in place of that for me would have been Tree of Life, if that was from this year, not entirely sure. He didn't do a full review, but he did one of those abbreviated mentions in another review and said that it's pretty much incredible. I took the time and it was really disappointing. Boring and full of imagery that was at best confusing and at worst completely out of place. It took it's attempt at being "artsy" and threw them in your face, which doesn't work in a movie that is supposed to carry a certain pace. Essentially, while it may not have been a horrible film, if you were not in mood for it, it was. It's not transcendentally good and, IMO, not worth the good words it was given.

Edit2: I can't help but feel that everyone is taking the number placement on this list a little too seriously. I mean, is it worth arguing that movies me or a lot of others may have liked shouldn't place higher on the list (more bad, as it were) than movies that were placed lower on the list. I mean, the fact that a movie you are or people you know like a lot showed up on his top ten list at all should be the shocking. Whether it's number three, number one, or number seven shouldn't even matter. And you definitely should not be upset if it appeared higher on the list than American Reunion. It's really all the same.

Littaly:
Les Miserables at third place feels a little like "Hey! Look at my loud and controversial opinion!". I haven't seen it, and I don't think I'm going to since it doesn't look like my kind of movie, but I have a hard time imagining one of the top Best Picture contenders really being an overall worse movie than the latest American Pie, regardless of how much you think people are over hyping it.

I feel that's a problem I have with criticism on the Internet in general. Too many times I get the feeling critics exaggerate how bad something is simply because it either gives them more attention or makes for a much more interesting review. Using hyperbole gets the point across and I'm not gonna lie, there is more entertainment value in seeing something being ripped to shreds rather than receiving a simple "not all that great", but I think it damages the credibility of the critic in the long run.

I'm not gonna tell anyone what to think, and if you really found Les Miserables worse than both The Expendables 2 and Alex Cross, then it would be wrong to conform to what other people think. Just don't be careless with how you hand out ratings as harsh as "third worst movie of the year".

Took the words right out my mouth, I agree completely. Even as a big fan of both the book and musical I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea, that said I find it hard to see how it could be the third worst movie of the year for anyone compared to some of the stinkers we've seen this year. The critiques Bob leveled were valid to an extent but are no way serious enough to doom a film to that bad a position. That and the Spiderman pick just comes across as a blatant attempt at controversy, I am disappointed since I generally like this show.

ZZoMBiE13:

Kumagawa Misogi:
Yawn, you don't like amazing spiderman Bob that's fine but stop acting like everyone in the geek press does as your a very, very lone voice in hating it (and no, pointing out that a pretentious douchebag WHO TYPES IN ALL CAPS doesn't like it either is not all geek press).

I don't wanna ruin your fun or anything, but this was HIS top 10 worst. He can put whatever he wants.

And for what it's worth, I think he's right. That movie was a mess and I felt like I was being assaulted with weaponized "stupid" as the film went on.

Although it certainly is his list, and he's welcome to put the Amazing Spider-Man on it if he wants to and in whatever position he deems appropriate, I think most people, even those who didn't like it, are sick of him harping on about it. A week or two after it was released I honestly had to stop watching his videos and reading his columns because he couldn't pass up even the slightest chance to work in a dig against this movie, even if he had to go out of his way to set up a chance to criticize it some more. It got old fast, and his constantly suggesting that his opinion was the general consensus rather than one of the more extremely negative critical views on it in the media just made it worse since it meant he was either completely ignorant of the movies actual critical reception or lying to pretend that he wasn't in a small, but extremely vocal minority.

I really have no issue with him hating movies regardless of my stance on them. I don't expect the guy to agree with me on everything I ever watch. But his seeming inability to reign in the vitriol has kept me from watching or reading his columns with any regularity since. I'll occasionally check one out if I think the topic is somewhat interesting (such as this video), but for the most part I've deliberately avoided his stuff for months.

The reason I find it hard to take Bob seriously as a critic, or even just as a person, is when he does something like say that Les Miserables and The Amazing Spiderman were worse thanmovies The Expendables and American Reunion. Having seen Les Miserables on New Year's Eve I can say with no doubt that it's position, and it's participation on the list, is flat out wrong. And as for Spiderman it really does just seem like he has some personal grudge against it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here