Reel Physics: Assassins Creed III - Leap of Faith

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Assassins Creed III - Leap of Faith

This week we find out just how much faith Connor truly has in hay.

Watch Video

Hey everyone, it's our first video game episode with Assassin's Creed III! Let us know if you would like us to cover more games in the future. Remember, they need to be somewhat based in reality. ;)

If you have suggestions for future episodes, post them here in the forums or email us at reelphysics@escapistmag.com and we will respond as quick as we can.

As always, thanks so much for watching. If you are headed to PAX this week, then have a great trip and enjoy the show.
If you like our show, please share it out to your friends and family so they can discover it too!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

You guys kinda moved on from movie stuff faster than I expected.

OH MY GOD I LOVE PIZZA!! and hay.

You guys could always calculate how much force it would take Cloud to swing the Buster Sword at some of the speeds he seems to swing it at. You could use Advent Children as a point of reference. That should yield some hilariously ludicrous numbers.

no purchase necessary, void where prohibited.
OT: That's enough hay to choke a gay horse!
So basically you're saying that the North Church leap of faith...

*puts on sunglasses*

...is full of shit?

synobal:

I wouldn't say we necessarily moved on from movies... this is kind of special for PAX.
We're just testing the waters... movies, tv, and now games. Whatever anyone is interested in recommending as a physics explanation is fair game at this point.
Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Needs a dummy drop as illustration. But I'm guessing the Escapist doesn't pay for that kind of stunts.

I was actually curious, since here you guys used weird falling-body equations involving terminal velocity, instead of good ol' d=v0*t+0.5*a*t^2. Showin' off those fancy degrees of yours, eh fellas?
My running the numbers real quick over lunch would indicate that it does make a difference - using the basic equations that don't incorporate terminal velocity made Conner hit at around 70.25 mph, faster than what you predicted. I wasn't sure if the falling time was long enough for terminal velocity to come into play. Turns out, it is. Just figured I'd say, in case anyone else out there was like me in wondering if they made the problem more complicated than they needed to. All appearances to the contrary, they DO know what they're doing! (Just kidding, you guys are great, keep it up.)

Quaxar:
Needs a dummy drop as illustration. But I'm guessing the Escapist doesn't pay for that kind of stunts.

Currently, Reel Physics only owns two dummies. We are hesitant to toss them off buildings because we need them to keep us company through the cold nights stand in front of the camera and make bad puns.

RobotDinosaur:
I was actually curious, since here you guys used weird falling-body equations involving terminal velocity, instead of good ol' d=v0*t+0.5*a*t^2. Showin' off those fancy degrees of yours, eh fellas?
My running the numbers real quick over lunch would indicate that it does make a difference - using the basic equations that don't incorporate terminal velocity made Conner hit at around 70.25 mph, faster than what you predicted. I wasn't sure if the falling time was long enough for terminal velocity to come into play. Turns out, it is. Just figured I'd say, in case anyone else out there was like me in wondering if they made the problem more complicated than they needed to. All appearances to the contrary, they DO know what they're doing! (Just kidding, you guys are great, keep it up.)

Thanks! We actually did compare the two velocities, one with the air resistance factored in, and the other simpler equation without. They were trivially different, but since we already did the math the hard way, and it was more accurate, we just left it at that.

Branching into games. Nice!
But isn't video games a low hanging fruit? I mean, there are no realistic games, despite what publishers and developers want us to believe. So are there going to be any ground rules for picking what game actions are reviewable by ReelPhysics? Car chases/crashes, feats of strength and speed, etc

Edit: Oh, and I like how you are incorporating the "what would have taken to make this stunt possible" approach! :-)

I belive, you didn't calculate the difference in distance between height of the building and height of the hay stack for different hay stacks. If assasin is hitting the ingame stack with 65 m\h, than he would hit that high stack from the end of the episode with 25-30 m\h, i guess. Also, if i remember this correct, people try to press the hay as much as possible to fit it all in their vehicle. So hay in those carts should be a pretty hard thing.
Still, a very interesting episode. Thanks!

Loved the episode, and would not be opposed to more games in the future! Perhaps you could do them in the order of movies, tv, then games? Or whatever works best.

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, it's our first video game episode with Assassin's Creed III! Let us know if you would like us to cover more games in the future. Remember, they need to be somewhat based in reality. ;)

Is this too unrealistic? :P

Because I would like to know how dense a could would have to be to hold a humans weight :P A Short Pudgy Italian Plumber, being held up on a could :D

-----

Or if Mario is physically impossible, how about:

How fast would you need to be going, to do that^ to the sound barrier (ignoring magical rainbows)

I think casually eating pizza was the best part of this episode.

What if the hay was made of carbon fiber? :)

The big one in my mind at the moment is Tomb Raider. How the hell does Lara survive all the crap she goes through?

Oh wait, regenerating health... never mind.

CardinalPiggles:
The big one in my mind at the moment is Tomb Raider. How the hell does Lara survive all the crap she goes through?

considering that insta-death comes from falling pretty low distances in that game it is kinda amazing what she survives in scripted scenes.

going through one of the shorter fall scenes would actually be kinda interesting.

teebeeohh:

CardinalPiggles:

considering that insta-death comes from falling pretty low distances in that game it is kinda amazing what she survives in scripted scenes.

going through one of the shorter fall scenes would actually be kinda interesting.

That's a good point actually. In the beginning she falls from a great height onto a spike, she falls through huts a few times, but when she falls 10-15 feet down an outcrop of fairly smooth rocks, instant death.

I'm sort of dissapointed you didn't mess with the air viscosity. See how thick the air would have to be for Connor to survive.

So apparently, Assassins have rough 4-5 times the ability to handle impact forces as an ordinary human. Interesting episode, though I'm left wondering how actual hay compares to the approximation used.

This was a very nice episode, I laughed my ass off while watching the ep so I guess you had a lot more of those bloopers for this episode xD

As for if you want to do some car stuff, you could check out the series Knight Rider and do something of the car KITT... That'd be interesting :P

In the Original Christopher Reeve Superman movie, there is a part at the end where he flies around the Earth in reverse to its revolution forcing it to (eventually) rotate backwards and reversing time so that several disasters are super-undone. How fast would he have to go to make the earth turn in reverse and what would be the effects on the earth. And wouldn't he have to fly for the same amount of time/revolutions to get it turning back at the right speed again?

I can only imagine that things on Earth would get pretty disastrous on Earth for the moment/moments when the earth stopped revolving and started going backwards. Bad cess, man.

I love how much fun you guys seem to have making these videos.

Would the final jump in the go-kart race from "Heavyweights", as seen at ~1:45 in the trailer be worth looking into? For those who don't want to watch the video, basically the protagonist's go-kart is in second place, and he then uses what appears to be a boat propeller as a booster to narrowly overtake during a jump and take the lead.

Really been enjoying the show, and have added it to the list that I look forward to each week. :)

Thanks for putting in the "what would it take?" calculations this time!
Good episode, but please don't do anymore games anytime soon.

Anakinnnn:

synobal:

I wouldn't say we necessarily moved on from movies... this is kind of special for PAX.
We're just testing the waters... movies, tv, and now games. Whatever anyone is interested in recommending as a physics explanation is fair game at this point.
Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Heya Jason,

Jason here. I think that the video game episode was pretty fun, and I would like to see more. The thing is, since it is a game people tend to be more detached from reality than they would with a movie. You rarely hear about people worrying about suspension of disbelief in regards to a video game after all. So, my opinion would be that you could do one video game episode every 4-6 movie episodes (or if you are just really short on movie suggestions to use).

I have a question for you though... How many times did the grey poop-hay joke get used at Pax post recording? That was just too darn funny. You guys made me have to clean my keyboard because of that pun (pressurized soda aerosolized and went all over my keyboard and monitor from laughter), I'll send you the bill later (don't worry I figure that the cost of cleaning is equal to the price of admission to the show ;P).

barbzilla:
Heya Jason,

Jason here. I think that the video game episode was pretty fun, and I would like to see more. The thing is, since it is a game people tend to be more detached from reality than they would with a movie. You rarely hear about people worrying about suspension of disbelief in regards to a video game after all. So, my opinion would be that you could do one video game episode every 4-6 movie episodes (or if you are just really short on movie suggestions to use).

I have a question for you though... How many times did the grey poop-hay joke get used at Pax post recording? That was just too darn funny. You guys made me have to clean my keyboard because of that pun (pressurized soda aerosolized and went all over my keyboard and monitor from laughter), I'll send you the bill later (don't worry I figure that the cost of cleaning is equal to the price of admission to the show ;P).

Thanks for the feedback barbzilla... we were actually somewhat reluctant to move into the world of games for that very reason. I mean, who is questioning the reality of video games generally? But, we thought this was an interesting situation since it was based on Earth, dealt with a human being, and was a real location to work with real world data. It made sense. At this stage, the media a story is presented in is just another way to express an event like this. The lines blur between live action movies and CG animation and game quality graphics these days anyway.

We don't really plan on doing a lot of video games unless they meet our criteria of being able to be calculated based on what we know of on Earth and not some fantasy universe or something that can be too easily explained away. But, every once in a while, just to keep things fresh, be on the lookout for a video game episode here and there. There's enough movie scenes to keep our show going until the end of time so no worries.

As for the Poop-Hay... I am still laughing about that one and we had even more jokes from the blooper reel that never even made it into the episode. I cut out probably 20 minutes of non-stop bloopers every episode. You have no idea how much fun we have behind the scenes of this show... just wait until next week for a funny little hidden visual gag that had me falling out of my chair after I rendered it...

Thanks for watching!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

So from my understand, Connor would have been killed by the g-forces?

What I wanted to know was if he would just fall through the hay and go splat depending on how loose the hay was.

I wonder if you guys continued to subtract the height of the haystack from the height of the steeple, I'd think that that would make a difference, and it's something I probably would've forgotten to do.

But either way, it's good to know that the Leap of Faith isn't possible, I've always wondered and now I don't have to actually jump off of anything. Just wondering, though, what about Leaps of Faith into water, like they did to initiate new Assassins in AC2 and Brotherhood?

Replacing hay with the softest material imaginable might have been too much of a freebie.

Also, why did the bald one Jason Dean laugh when the fat one Coby Dane looked like he was having a stroke?

Daaaah Whoosh:
I wonder if you guys continued to subtract the height of the haystack from the height of the steeple, I'd think that that would make a difference, and it's something I probably would've forgotten to do.

But either way, it's good to know that the Leap of Faith isn't possible, I've always wondered and now I don't have to actually jump off of anything. Just wondering, though, what about Leaps of Faith into water, like they did to initiate new Assassins in AC2 and Brotherhood?

Actually, we did subtract the height of the taller stack, and it didn't make as much difference as we thought it would. It came out to be 65.41mph for the 6 foot stack, and 62.65 for the 21 foot stack. Also, Like I said earlier, just as a check, we ran the fall as if there was no air resistance, and Connor hits the 6 foot hay at 70.68 mph, just over 5mph faster. So much for air resistance.

Gonna have to dig into Tomb Raider. Soooo much to choose from there. ********spoiler*******

The thing that really sticks out is A) the old Jurassic Park glass not breaking as it should section and B)The insanely long parachute section.

DVS BSTrD:
no purchase necessary, void where prohibited.
OT: That's enough hay to choke a gay horse!
So basically you're saying that the North Church leap of faith...

*puts on sunglasses*

...is full of shit?

Wearing earphones while clicking on those glasses - not a good idea, urgh :(

Anakinnnn:

barbzilla:
Heya Jason,

Thanks for the feedback barbzilla... we were actually somewhat reluctant to move into the world of games for that very reason. I mean, who is questioning the reality of video games generally? But, we thought this was an interesting situation since it was based on Earth, dealt with a human being, and was a real location to work with real world data. It made sense. At this stage, the media a story is presented in is just another way to express an event like this. The lines blur between live action movies and CG animation and game quality graphics these days anyway.

We don't really plan on doing a lot of video games unless they meet our criteria of being able to be calculated based on what we know of on Earth and not some fantasy universe or something that can be too easily explained away. But, every once in a while, just to keep things fresh, be on the lookout for a video game episode here and there. There's enough movie scenes to keep our show going until the end of time so no worries.

As for the Poop-Hay... I am still laughing about that one and we had even more jokes from the blooper reel that never even made it into the episode. I cut out probably 20 minutes of non-stop bloopers every episode. You have no idea how much fun we have behind the scenes of this show... just wait until next week for a funny little hidden visual gag that had me falling out of my chair after I rendered it...

Thanks for watching!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

If you guys ever get a mind to, I would love to buy a full season of the show including all the bloopers (but with the regular retakes cut out). Given that I would buy it, I am sure some of the other regulars would probably buy them too. The best part is it wouldn't cost much to produce, you already have the material.

As for the video games, yeah I think you guys have chosen well for the inaugural episode, and I trust your judgement as far as including games down the line. I wouldn't mind seeing some science fiction flicks in there to explore what might one day be possible with technological advances (either in medicine or engineering).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here