Reel Physics: Return of the Jedi - The Thrown Room

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Return of the Jedi - The Thrown Room

In this very special preemptive May the 4th episode Jason and Colby tackle the emperor and his fall.

Watch Video

May the Fourth be with You... though a bit early!

This is our special Star Wars week episode here at the Escapist and it was a blast to make! I hope you guys enjoy it!

As always, if you guys like it, please share it, tweet it, like it, throw it over to reddit... wherever you think you can turn someone on to the show! I appreciate all of the support more than you guys know!

Don't forget to give us your suggestions for new episodes here on the Facebook page, in the Escapist forums, or at our email address: reelphysics@escapistmag.com.

Don't forget to look for us in the Escapist Star Wars Special later this week!

Thanks again! May the Fourth Be With You... Always!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

So, basically the Emperor would still have been falling (and presumably screaming) when the Death Star's reactor was blown up by the great war criminal Lando Calrissian.

The Death Star has multiple reactors for its various systems (see the Force Unleashed)

HalfTangible:
The Death Star has multiple reactors for its various systems (see the Force Unleashed)

They even keep some of them on the detention level.

... though those are much more prone to leaks. Large leaks. Very dangerous.

It makes sense, though, in a way. Ackbar couldn't commence an attack on the Death Star's "main" reactor, if it did not have other reactors which were not-main. It would just be, The Reactor, full stop.

I await the day that the blooper reel will be as long as the actual episode content. It'll be a good day.

Ohai gaiz!

[nerd]For the record, the thing that powers the Death Star is called a 'Hypermatter Reactor,' which is a big goddamn thing that pulls power from Hyperspace. Or something. Also, the blue sparky exploding thing is supposed to be the Emperor himself exploding, because when you channel that much Dark Side through you it starts to turn you into an ugly nasty-ass Sith lord and eventually kills you, as I understand the space magic.[/nerd]

Good video. I've actually been wondering about that whole schtick myself.

It seems incredibly silly to have the throne room right on the edge of the ship, shielding or no shielding. I choose to believe it's safely tucked away under many layers of armour and they just project the image of space onto a fake window in the back to make it seems more majestic, like a corporate toy, but for emperors.

So, these calculations are for the Emperor to hit the center of the station, but (and I may be wrong about this) do we actually know that the power reactor is in the very center of the Death Star?

I was going to quote the old MST3K adage, "Remember it's just a movie, you should really just relax."

But why spoil the fun?

BrotherRool:
It seems incredibly silly to have the throne room right on the edge of the ship, shielding or no shielding. I choose to believe it's safely tucked away under many layers of armour and they just project the image of space onto a fake window in the back to make it seems more majestic, like a corporate toy, but for emperors.

Apparently they were too proud of this technological terror they've constructed.

Mike Kayatta:
So, these calculations are for the Emperor to hit the center of the station, but (and I may be wrong about this) do we actually know that the power reactor is in the very center of the Death Star?

That's what HalfTangible is talking about. There are several reactors in the Death Star. So it is probable that the Emperor just hit one of the several that were already constructed.

TheSchaef:

HalfTangible:

That made me laugh way, way, WAY more than it should've.

Perhaps the emperor never fell to the center, instead fell into a power conduit, bring power to large section of the DS.

Woah, spoilers!

BrotherRool:

I agree. For some guy who had a damn Super Star Destroyer parked right under Coruscant for emergencies it would be very idiotic to build your lair under the crust. And with a big projection screen he even could watch what he wants, like maybe the other side of the Death Star if the battle is there instead of having to go all the way over.
Just imagine if the Rebels had chosen a hyperspace point a few thousand kilometers to either side. "I'm afraid your friends are dying out there. Well, you can't see it but just imagine how they are."

Nice episode guy, now how about next week you investigate if the reason the Stormtroopers can't aim is because of the Death Star's Coriolis effect?

So many puns! And hooray for surprisingly well done photoshopping!

BrotherRool:

Smaller versions of that already exist.

The multiple reactors aside, is it just me, or did they make an assumption about where this throne room was situated in relation to the central core. I mean I didn't seen anywhere where it was proved that it had to be at the top of the deathstar and that the fall had to be the full radius of it.

So Reel Physics is telling me that when we try to use actual science in the Star Wars universe it's no where near plausible. Damn, because so much of it seems like hard science fiction, just slightly less realistic than Revelation Space.

PromethianSpark:
The multiple reactors aside, is it just me, or did they make an assumption about where this throne room was situated in relation to the central core. I mean I didn't seen anywhere where it was proved that it had to be at the top of the deathstar and that the fall had to be the full radius of it.

It's shown in the various canon technical specs that the Emperor's Throne room was at the top, but even putting that aside you can see in the scene that he has windows into space and as a sphere any point outside would be equal distance from the center. Unless someone had the balls to explain to the Emperor that they'd be putting him in the "excuse our mess: under renovations" sections.

Anakinnnn:

BrotherRool:

Apparently they were too proud of this technological terror they've constructed.

One would also assume that the entire command structure of their capital ship (and other large vessels) wouldn't be made so that it rose above the main hull in a position where an out of control starfighter would be able to plow threw the physical shielding into the bridge, but the Empire made that mistake too.

Also, I would be interested in seeing what would "actually" happen to the people standing in a Star Destroyer (or any other ship) when the ship goes from faster than light travel to a comparative stop in what appears to be a fraction of a second

There's supposed to be stars in the background during the opening scroll! =O

Looks like this nit...

/sunglasses

...just got picked.

Best. Blooper reel. Ever.

Best. Puns. Ever.

Best. Author insertion. Ever.

Best. Episode. Ever.

Also, I had an awkward moment during the scrolling opening where I couldn't tell if there was dust on my monitor or if there was a starfield. I'm still not sure.

best episode ever even though your a little early may the 4th be with you

Yes, the contractors are just horrid! I think Robot chicken explains why he has no money for the good ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F1d3QWsyk0

Quaxar:

And with a big projection screen he even could watch what he wants, like maybe the other side of the Death Star if the battle is there instead of having to go all the way over.

Come on, you know how crappy video quality is in the future.

Though it'd be hilarious to see the Emperor trying to convince Luke to join him as he fiddles with a tv antenna so they could see the battle go on with the least amount of static. In the end Vader has to stand holding it as a signal booster.

Slycne:

PromethianSpark:

It's shown in the various canon technical specs that the Emperor's Throne room was at the top, but even putting that aside you can see in the scene that he has windows into space and as a sphere any point outside would be equal distance from the center. Unless someone had the balls to explain to the Emperor that they'd be putting him in the "excuse our mess: under renovations" sections.

Putting very important rooms next to the hull reminds me of the Mass Effect 3 Normandy redesign where the important and delicate Quantum Entanglement Communications room is on the edge of the ship.

Slycne:

PromethianSpark:

Forget canon technical specs, watch the movie again. There is at least one establishing shot that shows that the throne room is actually situated at the top of a spire sticking out of the Death Star that appears to be several hundred meters high by itself, hence the need for an elevator.

Edit: Voila! The Emperor's Throne Room on top of a spire

delroland:

TheSchaef:

HalfTangible:

It makes sense, though, in a way. Ackbar couldn't commence an attack on the Death Star's "main" reactor, if it did not have other reactors which were not-main. It would just be, The Reactor, full stop.

/nod /nod

Also, who said the throne room was at the very top of the death star, it could have been very close to the reactor in the first place, thus allowing for a 7 second drop.

Slycne:

you can see in the scene that he has windows into space and as a sphere any point outside would be equal distance from the center.

Well.... I feel a bit stupid now......

MorganL4:

Also, who said the throne room was at the very top of the death star, it could have been very close to the reactor in the first place, thus allowing for a 7 second drop.

See my post right above yours, dude.

Hmmn, I never assumed he fell to the central core. I just assumed he fell a long way and died.

McGuinty1:

MorganL4:

See my post right above yours, dude.

But the sphere was incomplete, thus making that not entirely true just yet....

-Dragmire-:

Quaxar:

And with a big projection screen he even could watch what he wants, like maybe the other side of the Death Star if the battle is there instead of having to go all the way over.

Come on, you know how crappy video quality is in the future.

Though it'd be hilarious to see the Emperor trying to convince Luke to join him as he fiddles with a tv antenna so they could see the battle go on with the least amount of static. In the end Vader has to stand holding it as a signal booster.

I think it's only the third dimension that really ruins the quality.

All I learned from this is that the Robot Chicken Star Wars special is accurate. Palpatine clearly has time for a monologue.

I've never saw this scene. I'm not a starwars fan but I found this video interesting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here