Jimquisition: Xbox One No DRM Emergency Special!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

This is awesome. And by THIS, I mean how fast Jim got this video out :D

Holy Crap lol came out of a raid to find that the whole internet has exploded. Well this is better but probably still getting a PS4 cos of the price.

Aw, isn't that nice. Still ain't getting one. The level of douchenozzlery (that's a word now) Microsoft has shown during this whole debacle has pretty much killed the slight chance that I would have gotten one.

I love it. The console's still inferior to the PS4 despite its changed policies, but the apologists want everyone to give Microsoft an apology? HAHAHAHAHA!

Also:

Whoever made that is my hero. Angry Joe was totally right in that video, and I laughed when that asshat Major Nelson claimed that it wasn't easy and that Joe shouldn't speak unless he's an engineer himself.

Sweet baby Jesus, we did it. We managed to force a company to do something with mass complaining. And for something great and not just the ending to a video game. For the first time ever the internet actually did something good for once!

PatrickXD:
The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.

The problem is that the implementation of each thing needs to be done at a per-game basis and must also do away with other "features" that are highly controversial. Always online doesn't work well enough, especially when the whole market is concerned. Microsoft jumped the gun and tried to do something that is probably well over twenty years too early.

Yeah, I say it all the time, but I'm going to keep saying it:

A company hears and understands ONLY two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are noise to be ignored.

Well, there were a lot of slaps. A HELL of a LOT of SLAPS! Someone in a position of power (likely Balmer, who, I would suspect, absolutely ripped through Don's ass like a berserk cuisinart on steroids) finally heard and understood the message. Honestly, folks, our wallets is really the only voice and power we have against these companies, but it is a SUBSTANTIAL power that should not be taken lightly. Companies want our money more than we do, and all we have to do to send them into shit-fits of kowtowing is to say "NO". That's it. Nothing more. No need for rage and screaming. Just say "NO". With so many people closing their wallets before the damn console even hit the market, Microsoft would have proven itself the ultimate in stupidity and arrogance to ignore such a deliberate and forceful message, "We ain't buying your shit!".

ADDENDUM: Still not buying it, though. Pissed me off just a bit too much for me to throw money at two-faced shit like this.

to all the appologists who defended MS's anti-consumer policies...look what happens when we stick up for ourself. these companies need us, they need the customers. and look, you're still going to get your Xbone, no ones taking it away from you.

CriticKitten:
I love it. The console's still inferior to the PS4 despite its changed policies, but the apologists want everyone to give Microsoft an apology? HAHAHAHAHA!

Also:

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1521089/

Whoever made that is my hero. Angry Joe was totally right in that video, and I laughed when that asshat Major Nelson claimed that it wasn't easy and that Joe shouldn't speak unless he's an engineer himself.

Joe is one of the few interviewers that actually grilled M$ employees about consumer concerns. He's completely vindicated now :)

Yeah strangely enough I think it was Jimmy Fallon. Not so much that one guy himself, but the fact that the pure anti-consumerism was starting to leak out into the mainstream media and everyone who looked at it thought it was BS. A video game system being openly mocked on late-night television might have been the final kick in the pants they needed to know it wasn't just boilerplate nerdrage from a vocal minority.

Honestly, this is the most tedious "console war" (as in, when two consoles battle out for audience favour) since Sega vs Nintendo (you know, with boring crap like "we do what Nintendon't"). Rather than Sony and Microsoft trying to sell different ideas, they're selling the same things to the same people. The only difference is Microsoft just did the equivalent of getting drunk before an important speech, and then later had to apologise for said speech. This entire thing is dull, tiresome and lame. There's absolutely nothing interesting new being thrown about, just the same tired things (complete with Sony doing personal attacks on Microsoft, the tired "look, we can do used games" getting to the point of flaunting). I think the snapping point was when Jim pretty much made me realise something: Sony is being applauded for doing the same thing it's always been doing. We're applauding not because of improvements, but rather throwing rocks at those who change (which I'll admit, the changes are all for the worst). I've yet to get an inclining that PS4 or the X-Box One will actually really improve upon what I already have, just with the games now being made for the PS4 and the X-Box One.

I may be alone in this, but just out of curiosity: Is anyone as bored and tired as I am with how PS4 and X-Bone One is being promoted? Or even just filled with apathy over this change?

Jim sure is fast getting these videos out. I run a bath, everything is normal, and when I'm finished Microsoft have pulled a 180 and there's already a video up.

This is definitely a step in the right direction. I was really worried the XBox would just crash and burn before, but now there's some hope. Though they are still on the back foot coming out of the gate as I bet there's a mad dash with programmers and devs to make changes to code, and Microsoft will have to run their PR in overdrive to make up for E3 before launch.

What does this mean for Sony though? Their job has just got tougher. While I don't agree 100% with the sentiment that their E3 presentation was just "doing the same" there is a grain of truth to it. They'll have to convince people that PS3 is the better console without focussing on DRM now. They have a PR head start so let's see if they capitalise on it.

I, for one, can't wait to see the interviews with Microsoft guys after this. Especially after some of them so passionately stuck by their DRM policies just a couple days ago.

Yuuki:

Confused as to whether MS planned this whole thing from the beginning as a publicity stunt (riding on the "no such thing as bad publicity" chestnut) OR whether they were genuinely behind this whole thing and then had a change of heart after seeing people's feedback.

I HIGHLY doubt it was the former. Granted Microsoft marketers aren't infallible, but I refuse to believe they'd think the "New Coke" gambit would ever work. It never works. It's just an absurd plan making them look, at first, bad, and after the change, like indecisive idiots. They'll have seen the awful negative reactions from the gaming public, press, and probably investors, and then realised they had made a terrible error.

Never forgive and never forget, i'm sorry but they will need to really make it up to me.

Still not getting one, if it's this easy to remove, in a few years time, what's to stop them having a new agreement popup when you sign in and make you update the machine to have all the nasty stuff people didn't like installed.

They have shown their true colors and I will not trust them at all.

Yuuki:

I love that, thank whoever made that. If it was you, thank you.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Big piece of humble pie for Microsoft. Thought I think the damage may be already done. It will take a lot to win back consumer good will now.

Considering they were shooting themselves in the foot up to the eleventh hour, the damage really should be done.

Jim, I think we should thank god for the "vocal minority of gamers" and Jimmy Fallon this time.
And thank god for you too.

Now... what about that Kinnect...

That...Was...Epic! You are awesome Mr. Sterling, just awesome!

People, people, this is the perfect time to force Valve (Steam) and EA (Origin) to do the same. You, journalists, take the telephone right now and ask those companies why we cannot sell and lend our disc-based games on PC!? And people, for Christ sake, stop buying from those companies until they remove DRM from disc-based games!

I feel so smug that I can hardly contain it. I've been giggling my ass off this last half hour at the announcement.

The way they've pushed this out fast, especially this fast, shows that they're willing to change without much deliberation.
While it's obvious that they would come out better for doing this, they should've done it gradually, stating that they are taking the overwhelming negative feedback into consideration, let it stew for a few weeks and THEN tell people at the top of the hype, that they've decided to listen to the consumers.

I never planned on buying the xbone and I'll likely not get the PS4 either, but this has hammered it in for me; I can't trust Microsoft.
There's no remorse, no admission, no careful deliberation(that we've seen) or any other basic fucking common ground that they've met us on and I'd sooner put my money on someone who sticks to DRM because they believe in it, than people who'll have a change of heart so quickly, just to please the crowd momentarily.

My bet is that they'll reverse this in the future. You can bet your ass that they'll be legally covered in whatever "Press Button to Accept" terms you'll see on the xbone, to do so.

Crash and burn Microsoft, crash and burn.

MichaelPalin:
People, people, this is the perfect time to force Valve (Steam) and EA (Origin) to do the same. You, journalists, take the telephone right now and ask those companies why we cannot sell and lend our disc-based games on PC!? And people, for Christ sake, stop buying from those companies until they remove DRM from disc-based games!

Valve just announced that you will be able to lend people games through steam.
It's already possible, though in violation of their terms.

Wow. They did do it? I thought it was just a rumor.

Well, cool.

Sad for them to say it's too little too late. :p

Jim is right. They would have done it if it was up to them, and they could do it later if they really wanted too.

Thank God for you Jim.

Smilomaniac:
There's no remorse, no admission, no careful deliberation(that we've seen) or any other basic fucking common ground that they've met us on and I'd sooner put my money on someone who sticks to DRM because they believe in it, than people who'll have a change of heart so quickly, just to please the crowd momentarily.

My bet is that they'll reverse this in the future. You can bet your ass that they'll be legally covered in whatever "Press Button to Accept" terms you'll see on the xbone, to do so.

Absolutely the massive RED FLAG that this news has.

Entitled:
Also a great new proof of the truth of the older "why complaining is more effective than boycotts" episode.

For everyone who was moaning about how people should just shut up on online forums and vote with their wallet, well, here is the result of not shutting up.

I'd say it was a combination of the two, gamers flipping them off at every chance with Sony only feeding the fire combined with the Xbone tanking in preorders while Sony's skyrocketed. I believe it was a one-two punch that pretty much forced their hands or face complete ruin.

This is still not going to change my mind about not getting one, but this is still a big victory for gamers and consumers rights. As Jim said we should never forget nor should we drop our guard, we still need to keep up the pressure if we want to keep them from trying to pull this shit again.

Be proud, be vigilant!

A nuanced response to joyous news, Mr. Sterling. That you wrote, shot, and uploaded it this quickly, and that it lived up to your usual standard in spite of all that, deserves kudos as well.

As for the DRM reversal, I'm still angry at MS. Maybe that will change. If I do break down somewhere down the road and buy a XBone, at least I won't be supporting policies I loathed.

*insert obligatory 'thank god for you' here*

Nice Kir-Bee shirt, Jim!

I'm still getting a PS4, though. Even though the DRM is erased, and even if the XbOne didn't hold onto Kinect for $100 more, none of their exclusives interest me very much. Also, the PS4 will have many more indie games, and the PS4 will have access to some PS3 games, and the PS4 has some bundles with discounts on Plus (albeit with either Killzone 4 or Battlefield 4).

As I said in another thread, color me surprised. Didn't think they'd ever do it, but they did.

Can't say I trust them, though. But then again, I don't have any plans for buying next-gen consoles anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

thenumberthirteen:
I HIGHLY doubt it was the former. Granted Microsoft marketers aren't infallible, but I refuse to believe they'd think the "New Coke" gambit would ever work. It never works. It's just an absurd plan making them look, at first, bad, and after the change, like indecisive idiots. They'll have seen the awful negative reactions from the gaming public, press, and probably investors, and then realised they had made a terrible error.

I read a very convincing argument from a friend on Facebook on why he thinks this was all part of the plan:

Markus Palm:
This was planned, no doubt about it. No, that's not me being all "conspiracy theorist" - it's basic logic.

Take a company like Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar corporation. It's in their utmost interest to be at the top when it comes to the console race to acquire revenue. They spent years researching the market and their consumer base. These corporations don't make "mistakes", especially not in this magnitude (and if they do, they will do everything to silence the media). If they for whatever reason wanted to implement DRM, they wouldn't have announced that like a front-page thing - they would have been way more subtle about it explaining the pros before actually announcing their DRM plans.

I'm not saying I wasn't 'fooled', but in hindsight it's all very obvious. All this negativity will now create a contrast and make Microsoft and the Xbox One seem like a great choice. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a huge game-bundle for $599 or even a price-drop before launch to lure even more costumers to 'switch' or 'stay'.

I believe this strategy is for the mid-section, meaning gamers that will only really buy one console and never switch. The 'average' consumer. Any hardcore gamer will either go PC (realizing its benefits) or eventually acquire all 2 or 3 consoles.

In 1-2 months when the release is more imminent all that will be remembered is how Microsoft turned around and delivered exactly what gamers want - even though Sony did it first. (Not to mention, Microsoft has earned a lot of publicity from this. I know a few not-so-involved people who only really had a hunch that a PS4 was coming, although they could ramble the ins and outs of the Xbox One's policies.) I mean, just imagine all the viral videos, memes and posts that have flourished this past week - most of them have been entirely about the Xbox One.

What he's saying that it is essentially impossible for a company like Microsoft NOT to have noticed how most gamers (and the internet as a whole) loathed any form of DRM with a passion - so building the very thing they KNEW people loathed into the the next big console sounds like it was all done on purpose (in hindsight). As stated above, a multi-billion-dollar corporation that has access to endless statistics and keeps a watchful eye on the rest of the world doesn't simply make such an extremely obvious mistake of epic proportions. It makes no logical sense.
They have indeed gained a massive amount of publicity from it (watch the next few days) and some people are even convinced that Microsoft are the good guys now, they care for their consumers. The next week will be very interesting.

Most fucking aggravating thing of all is reading stuff like this around the internet: "Awesome! Now lets see what Sony have to offer".
Oh god, oh god...

(answering #54)

Not good enough. It seems Valve saw the backlash and are preparing themselves for the potential splash. However, they wont move unless forced, unless people ask them en masse. Journalists need to do their job and put the heat on Valve and EA now and we gamers should start talking about it on the internet so the idea spreads as far as possible. No Steamworks requirement for PC disc-based games, period!

Yuuki:
What he's saying that it is essentially impossible for a company like Microsoft NOT to have noticed how most gamers loathed any form of DRM with a passion - so building the very thing they KNEW gamers loathed into the the next big console sounds like it was all done on purpose (in hindsight). They have indeed gained a massive amount of publicity from it (watch the next few days) and some people are even convinced that Microsoft are the good guys now, they care for their consumers. The next week will be very interesting.

This simply isn't the case. The swiftness these policies were reversed with shows that there isn't really any regard for their core customers until it starts showing up on broadcast television. They are not the good guys here and this is sadly taken as vindication for the Xbox One fanboys as much as people who were legitimately concerned about their consumer rights.

PatrickXD:
I'm really disappointed with the reversal of opinion. What made the Xbone interesting to me - the always online connectivity, family sharing and mandatory Kinect - has been somewhat put down. I was looking forward to what exactly 'cloud computing' can do, I was interested in more games adopting systems like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. You know, integrating the single and multiplayer experience? Game developers can no longer guarantee that every user has access to the internet, which could have been an interesting point to develop from. Now, well, we'll never know.
And that's what hurts about this. What the Xbone was doing was unprecedented. Don't get me wrong, I know that doesn't mean good, inherently. It's just, and bear with me here, nobody has to buy the Xbox One. The PS4 was always an option, and a cheaper one at that. If you don't have an internet connection, you have the option of - no, not the xbox 360 - the PS4. It's there. It's a choice. A safe choice. It's not changing anything. The Xbone? Previously we didn't know if it would be a safe choice. We didn't know if it was what we wanted. It certainly wasn't a rich dark roast. And that's what we want, isn't it? We all want a rich dark roast. We all sing together that we know what we want and what we want is a rich dark roast.

The Xbone could have been a game changer. Microsoft has decided now to go where the money is, abandon it's backbone and chase after every ounce of hype and every last dollar. And now we will never know, at least not for another 8 years, if the Xbone's original system is in fact a great one.

For posterity, I wholly support being able to just, you know, give people discs.

EDIT: I just thought I'd point out something that really irks me about this whole Xbone situation, as I feel it represents the gaming industry and culture as a whole.
People complain, day in and day out, about the lack of change in games. The repetition of the exact same systems and stories from past generations of game. And yet, when Microsoft tried something new with a console, everyone cried 'What's wrong with the way things are? Can't everything just be the same? Everything is fine here, we don't need change!'.
Food for thought.

wut? Online games can be done without these restrictions. What you just said, made no sense at all.

TIS THE SEASON TO BE TROLLY TROLLOLOLOLO LO LO LO LO, MICROSOFT IS FULL OF SHIT TROLOLOLOLO LO LO LO LO, STILL NOT BUYING THEIR SHITTY CONSOLE TROLLOLOLOLOL LO LO LO LO

(Sorry, but REALLY? Microsoft is just looking like morons at this point. If they will so quickly back-pedal and change their entire stance on DRM after only like a week after having preeched non-stop about DRM policies, then I am very skeptical about them and how they will continue to treat customers in the future).

First Xbox one, then Xbone, then Xbox done, now the Xbox one 80, this console has had its name changed (by the fans) more than Puff Daddy... I mean P. Diddy, I mean Diddy, I mean Puffy, I mean, Puff, I mean Sean Combs!

I guess it now comes down to price for me...

(troll face)

OT: While I'm sure we'll never truly know where the pressure came from, though we can all make some very viable guesses, I glad to see that this happened.

Oh yeah so I guess some music is in order...

Hot damn, Jim, you work faster than greased lightning.

I feel like Microsoft's move might have been too little too late. As Jim said, people aren't going to forget this. Let's also not forget that the Kinect still has to be on to run the console and indies are still getting shafted by the new XBLA.

Now if they could only get rid of the mandatory Kinect, I might consider buying one of these.

I still am not sure how I feel about this. To me Microsoft assuming we'll be ok with this is like going on a date with Microsoft to a nice restaurant. About halfway through the meal, Microsoft stands up and asks us to bend over the table so they could ram us from behind. Horrified, we slap Microsoft in the face for getting fresh and leave the restaurant on the arm of the gentleman Sony instead. As we leave, Microsoft runs after us hat in hand begging our forgiveness for trying to hump us in the butt at the dinner table. Are we just now expected to tell Microsoft that its ok and then walk hand in hand back to the dinner table? Ok, they won't be trying to anally rape you at dinner any longer, this I suppose is a good thing, but what's going to stop them once you get in the car afterwords?

Trust is earned and in my mind, Microsoft took all the trust they had and chucked it out the window.

Mikeyfell:

Now... what about that Kinnect...

My thoughts exactly! Get rid of that dumb device, but the way microsoft have been talking the 'xbone 180' is built with kinnect 2.0 in mind, but then again they said the same thing about their drm policies. Maybe if enough people complain some more they'll remove the completely useless camera and drop the price by 100 quid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here