The Escapist Presents: Ouya Unboxing

Pages PREV 1 2

Have we seen unboxing videos in the Escapist before? I can't recall having seen any.
In any case, I approve! Sure, sure, there are some suggestions as how they can be made better, but I like the idea of the unboxing FIRST impressions.

Mandalore_15:
Duracell batteries? Are you SHITTING me?!?

I know, eh? How about a 900mAh Li/Io rechargeable battery, they are dirt cheap (especially in volume). Even a 650mAh would do; this is a casual gaming machine anyway, it is not likely one will do a 12-hour Skyrim play. Anyway, let's wait for the actual review :-)

Don Reba:

Aardvaarkman:
Also, that isn't gunmetal grey, that's fake silver.

Hand over your man badge, buddy.

Err, what?

Wouldn't a real man know that the shiny silver plastic is nothing like gunmetal grey, which is a dark, matte color? You know, like the barrel of a gun?

Gorfias:

The Ouya is an android device. Your Tegra 3 android phones are very similar:

It does emulaters

Yeah, not very well, though. That's the point.

You can "do" emulators on many things, but making them perform well, or properly emulate the original is a whole other issue.

Aardvaarkman:

Evil Smurf:

Aardvaarkman:

Reports are that it isn't, because it's too slow and laggy even for that purpose.

Damn! Smartphones can do it. Something's up, although you don't get the ouya because you want a powerful machine.

Really? A Smartphone can emulate a Nintendo 64 or similar?

Edit: properly?

I can play FF7 on my galaxy nexus (still have my original ps1 discs). There's a lil frame dropping here and there...but for the most part works fine.

Cool vid. They should have spent more time on the front end and outsourced the controller but hey it's not like I work in HCI or something.

Her insistence on shaking everything was disturbing to say the least...

OT, Ouya. I kinda like the concept, but I'm still waiting so see it in action. The buttons spelling Ouya was a great idea. Gotta like it.

Aardvaarkman:

Don Reba:

Aardvaarkman:
Also, that isn't gunmetal grey, that's fake silver.

Hand over your man badge, buddy.

Err, what?

Wouldn't a real man know that the shiny silver plastic is nothing like gunmetal grey, which is a dark, matte color? You know, like the barrel of a gun?

You make a good point. Though, typically, a man should know a real gun by smell and by how it sits in his hands. Here is what we know about colour: http://www.geekinheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/how_men_and_women_see_colors.jpg

Don Reba:
You make a good point. Though, typically, a man should know a real gun by smell and by how it sits in his hands. Here is what we know about colour: http://www.geekinheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/how_men_and_women_see_colors.jpg

XKCD can do you one better. Obsoive.

(Captcha: "little did he know" ... indeed.)

Aardvaarkman:

Gorfias:

The Ouya is an android device. Your Tegra 3 android phones are very similar:

It does emulaters

Yeah, not very well, though. That's the point.

You can "do" emulators on many things, but making them perform well, or properly emulate the original is a whole other issue.

I haven't done so myself, but what I posted of a guy playing "Link to the Past" showed at least it can be done.

The Tegra 4 is either out or near out and is 6 times the power of Tegra 3. But, given that I have played without issue Bard's Tale at about Xbox original quality, I have to believe the Ouya capable of up to N64 emulation with no problem (Though emulation is more power sucking than a direct port).

Honestly, since hearing about "Side loading" the only thing keeping me from getting one is a huge backlog of PS3 games I have to get through before PS4 comes out.

Dammit, Escapist, I leave for one week and when I get back your videos are autoplaying? FOR SHAME.

OT: That was an underwhelming unpacking, but I didn't expect trinkets and trankets for a US$99 console. Despite my endless snark I look forward for you final verdict on the lil' box.

As I eventually opted to not put money towards it but decided to remain interested in what happened to it...

Well, let's just say I want to see how this review you mentioned turns out.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here