Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Awesome Motorcycles

Pages PREV 1 2

Good picks in this. My first thought on seeing the title was the motorcycle from FFVII, though I had no idea the thing actually had an official name. I always enjoyed the minigame, cheesy and simplistic though it is. Never played Full Throttle but it seems cool. My only further suggestion: Eva's Soviet IMZ-Ural M-72 in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

I was going to suggest the Wario Chopper should be on this list but now that I think about it, it's not THAT great a bike, it breaks up after a little damage and you can't summon it when it's still already on the stage. Although, summon it while using a final smash and watch out!

The Spider bike from Brutal Legend, that's a good one. You need to get somewhere fast and hastily put it together from body parts of the giant chrome spider you just killed. As if that wasn't cool enough, out of nowhere Road Racin' by Roit starts playing.

ok I don't normally drool over girls, and I really like Lisa for her personality and her spot on opinions but HOLY CRAP TITS!

Lisa Foiles:

This week Lisa gives us a Lococycle themed episode featuring the top five awesomest motorcycles in videogames.

With Full Throttle, I still remember (with fondness) the Country themed Apocalypse song playing on the radio of the guy who lived in the trailer. Oh, and setting off all the wind-up toys to trip the minefield. Also, the female projectionist with the really deep voice.

Blood Brain Barrier:
Full Throttle was Schafer's worst game. It wasn't bad, just not as great as all his others (except that RTS game starring Jack Black). And motorcycles are boring, along with the people who won't shut up about them.

You don't ride do you? Then you really don't know what you're missing out on. Even riding bitch, which sucks, is a blast if you've never ridden. And the first time you scrape a peg, sends shivers up your spine. So don't knock it if you haven't tried it friend.

Gezzer:

Blood Brain Barrier:
Full Throttle was Schafer's worst game. It wasn't bad, just not as great as all his others (except that RTS game starring Jack Black). And motorcycles are boring, along with the people who won't shut up about them.

You don't ride do you? Then you really don't know what you're missing out on. Even riding bitch, which sucks, is a blast if you've never ridden. And the first time you scrape a peg, sends shivers up your spine. So don't knock it if you haven't tried it friend.

I've tried it. So yeah, I know what I'm missing out on and it's not much.

Got to say I've had mixed feelings about Lisa and the top five. Often a bit cheesy, but redeemed to a certain point due to the fact that she shows that she knows it's kind of cheesy and just goes with it anyway. Most likely why I continue to watch, and not because of certain other attributes that were more prominently displayed this time around. Not at all.
But the fact that she's a bonafide gamer from birth has always earned her respect in my eyes and now I find she rides too.
Have to say makes my old heart go pitter pat a bit.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Gezzer:

Blood Brain Barrier:

So if you don't mind me asking what on, and why didn't you enjoy it.
I had my first ride on a micro trail bike at ten and fell in love. Got my first bike an old Honda CB400 at 15, and I'm currently riding a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird with a lot of miles and smiles on various other bikes in between. In fact I've owned more 2 wheelers than any other combination so I guess that makes me a bit biased but I find it hard to understand someone that doesn't enjoy the experience.

PromethianSpark:

Kristian Fischer:
I don't think she's advertising with that top, I think she's trolling...:D Lisa Foiles is not nearly as ditzy as some people seem to think, she's just having a bit of fun here.

So you think a women needs to be ditzy in order to leverage her body for some purpose. I mean that's just odd. I would think that it requires some measure of intelligence to decided that it is asset that could be used.

Yes, because that's precisely what I said in my post.

No.

Boys, that's push up cleavage. Something most of you can do yourselves with your hands, little piggies.

As soon as I saw the title, I knew Full Throttle would be #1. It couldn't have been any other way.
Who's startin' the honorary Escapist bikers club by the way? We could have a shoelace as the symbol.

Gezzer:

And the first time you scrape a peg, sends shivers up your spine.

Rented a fatboy in Arizona. Forget scraping pegs, those rentals have safety bars and I was bumping'em on mountain roads a whole day. More pants shitting than spine tingling, but absolutely a blast.
I prefer my Magna in general, but I've gotta say, for such a wide bike it handled much better than I'd ever expected.

Gezzer:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Gezzer:

So if you don't mind me asking what on, and why didn't you enjoy it.
I had my first ride on a micro trail bike at ten and fell in love. Got my first bike an old Honda CB400 at 15, and I'm currently riding a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird with a lot of miles and smiles on various other bikes in between. In fact I've owned more 2 wheelers than any other combination so I guess that makes me a bit biased but I find it hard to understand someone that doesn't enjoy the experience.

Christ I don't know. It was on a friend's farm, and it was white. That's all I can remember.

There's a difference between enjoying it and obsessing over it like you'd expect an entymologist to obsess over discovering a new species of insect. It's a fun experience, but there are people out there who talk about it non-stop, spent hours every day tinkering and fixing their bikes, make games like Full Throttle, write novels like The Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance, and shoot Top 5 with Lisa Foiles videos about it. A bit ridiculous if you ask me, same with cars and all those Top-Gear watchers. But then, I find the Tour de France a stupid activity.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Christ I don't know. It was on a friend's farm, and it was white. That's all I can remember.

There's a difference between enjoying it and obsessing over it like you'd expect an entymologist to obsess over discovering a new species of insect. It's a fun experience, but there are people out there who talk about it non-stop, spent hours every day tinkering and fixing their bikes, make games like Full Throttle, write novels like The Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance, and shoot Top 5 with Lisa Foiles videos about it. A bit ridiculous if you ask me, same with cars and all those Top-Gear watchers. But then, I find the Tour de France a stupid activity.

I think you're right, there's a very clear difference between obsessing and enjoying. But when you say "it's not much", you're pretty much devaluating the experience of others and disrespecting what they enjoy. Not to mention that it sounds petty and arrogant :(

I've driven the length of Europe on a beat up old MC on highways, mountain roads, country roads, through large cities and villages so small it was nothing more than a handful of houses, through blistering heat and boneshivering cold.
Doing that in a car is like watching a movie; Doing it on a motorcycle is like being there yourself.
There's a huge difference, there's a lot you're missing out on and I don't think you are anywhere near aware of just how much.
You might not think it's fun and I respect that, but don't tell me it's "not much". That's just poor manners.

Smilomaniac:

Blood Brain Barrier:

I think you're right, there's a very clear difference between obsessing and enjoying. But when you say "it's not much", you're pretty much devaluating the experience of others and disrespecting what they enjoy. Not to mention that it sounds petty and arrogant :(

I've driven the length of Europe on a beat up old MC on highways, mountain roads, country roads, through large cities and villages so small it was nothing more than a handful of houses, through blistering heat and boneshivering cold.
Doing that in a car is like watching a movie; Doing it on a motorcycle is like being there yourself.
There's a huge difference, there's a lot you're missing out on and I don't think you are anywhere near aware of just how much.
You might not think it's fun and I respect that, but don't tell me it's "not much". That's just poor manners.

I kinda get that car vs bike thing and I don't enjoy driving at all, but surely walking or cycling would be superior to both cars and motorbikes? Closer to nature and all that? Plus not having to put up with that awful noise. Give me a walk in a beautiful forest over blazing through it sitting on a noisy machine any day.

Blood Brain Barrier:

I kinda get that car vs bike thing and I don't enjoy driving at all, but surely walking or cycling would be superior to both cars and motorbikes? Closer to nature and all that? Plus not having to put up with that awful noise. Give me a walk in a beautiful forest over blazing through it sitting on a noisy machine any day.

I'm talking about driving the length of Europe and you're seriously asking me why not walk?
Because it'd take me a year instead of a couple of days?

Just because you have a bike, you're not incapable of walking.
Like I wrote earlier, I rented a bike in Arizona, went up to see the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Death Valley and Hoover Dam among other places. You don't get there by "taking a walk".

The noise is just a stereotypical view on bikes. I just replaced my mufflers to more quieter ones, since they were rusty and started forming holes. If you rev it up, it makes a lot of noise, obviously. You don't *have* to do that and not everyone has the loudest pipes they can get.

damn, always wanted to play full throttle but never had the money for it and when i had it, it was no longer available. now its to old to even play it on modern machines.

No love for the Sidecar Bike in Road Rash Jailbreak? That thing is barely held together AND needs co-op to even ride it properly. Oh, and having someone lean right while you're turning left is a bitch.

*Adds yet more games to the "Play Soon" list*

Funny vid too.

+1 if you came for the twins! Oh wait - I'm not on Youtube, am I?

Seriously, if you want us to talk about motorcycles, then stop using your weapons of mass distraction!

*cough*actuallykeepdoingthat*cough*

Great boobs this week, Lisa!

LIST! I meant great LIST! Jeez!

fabiank22:

Eric the Orange:
I am now counting the comments until someone says something and I have to say bad internet.

The facebook-comments are already pretty awful. Creepy dudes...

Now on the internet we're anonymous, things we say can't be traced back to us and people we know won't ever know we say it... now why would you use your Facebook account to more or less sexually harass someone? Your name is there (unless you've got a fake account) your friends can see your posts (if you have any) and even your future employers might check in to see what kind of person you are. In what world does it make sense that these forum accounts are actually being nicer than the Facebook accounts?

Sorry... just had to get that off my chest.

Not surprised No More Heroes made the list, I didn't like the driving parts in the game, but still, it was cool.

I'm usually not a fan of media with racing related content, but this video is the TITS!

Okay, I'll show myself out now.....

Blood Brain Barrier:

Smilomaniac:

Blood Brain Barrier:

"that aweful noise" saves lives. bikes are WAAAYY smaller than cars (except maybe Smart cars, but those are not cars really) and it's easy for us to be in someone's blind spot when they want to change lanes. if we were not loud, people would run us right over. it's not loud to be annoying, it's loud so the rest of you don't kill us.

azazel_buddha:

"that aweful noise" saves lives. bikes are WAAAYY smaller than cars (except maybe Smart cars, but those are not cars really) and it's easy for us to be in someone's blind spot when they want to change lanes. if we were not loud, people would run us right over. it's not loud to be annoying, it's loud so the rest of you don't kill us.

Oh, is that why I'm reading about motorcycle accidents and deaths in the paper almost every day? Though to be fair that's more due to stupidity, I can't count the number of times I've seen riders go between moving cars on the highway or do dumb things.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Oh, is that why I'm reading about motorcycle accidents and deaths in the paper almost every day? Though to be fair that's more due to stupidity, I can't count the number of times I've seen riders go between moving cars on the highway or do dumb things.

I think you'll find that there are just as many inept drivers, in cars. Except their accidents rarely make it to the news because they're not as gory or brutal to report on. Generally there are a lot more fatal car accidents than motorcycle accidents, percentage wise. Also, not every fatal motorcycle accident is the bikers fault.
Those who do die are usually beginners who bought themselves a sportsbike and have no clue of how fast they're going.

Lane Splitting is legal in a few places in the world; Australia, some Asian countries and California.
However, it's not something you'll get a ticket for in a jam, most places. Being stuck in 40 degrees(celsius) with leather clothing and heavy boots is not fun. Generally, if you're not a dick about it, the police won't even bat an eye. Most of them know exactly what it's like.

Azazel is right, the "noise" does save lives, people look twice before crossing when they hear a motorcycle coming and cars switching lanes near you are more aware, when they don't have their radios on full volume.

I think you have a bit of a bigoted view on bikers, which is pretty common. It's not a lot of people that speak politely of us or bother to give us a chance. You can be sure that a biker will stop to help another biker, but if you're on the emergency lane in a car, good luck getting someone to pull over for you.

Smilomaniac:
I think you have a bit of a bigoted view on bikers, which is pretty common. It's not a lot of people that speak politely of us or bother to give us a chance. You can be sure that a biker will stop to help another biker, but if you're on the emergency lane in a car, good luck getting someone to pull over for you.

It's funny you mention this, I broke down a few weeks ago on a fairly remote coastal road right next to a roundabout. I was stuck there for about an hour waiting for a tow truck, and in that time about 5 or 6 cars slowed down to ask if I needed help. There was one couple on a motorbike in that time, who also slowed down.... to shout "hey! you can't *expletive* park here!" at me and zoom off. I'm pretty sure that was the only bike which passed by.

So maybe you'll find the bigotry isn't quite undeserved after all, though I don't consider myself bigoted at all - car drivers are usually no better.

No love for Johnson from Shadows of the Damned?

Lisa, the moment I saw the title I thought of your previous references to old Lucasarts masterpieces and your love of Tim Schafer. I knew that Ben's bike had to be #1.

Just one thing. You misquoted the game. Corley isn't the last manufacturer on earth, he's the last manufacturer in the country. To quote the scene:

Rip: And the doctor says he only has a few months to live.
Ben: That's bad news for all of us. He's not just a nice guy, he's also the last motorcycle manufacturer in the country. What happens to Corley motors if he dies?

Still it is super nice to have a new best friend who loves this game as much as I do. Perhaps we can recite the intro sequence perfectly in time together one day?

This girl needs to be told she is pretty more often.

Edit: Not meaning anything bad, just it's entirely true.

Full Throttle is one of my favorite games of all time (Grim Fandango was amazing, though).

Ben: Don't you think someone will notice her ejecting out of her car?
Suzi: No, they'll be all watching you run around on fire.
Ben: Yes, that's another question I have

Crazy Zaul:
Phew, other people have mentioned the boob marketing. I was trying to think of a non offensive way to say it.

I came to the comments with specific purpose to count people mentioning it. The number is 8.
Lisa is very beatuful and hs always been (ive watched her before she came back to escapist too). And im trying not to be creepy here. She always knew how to look awesome, and this does not look like just camera makeup judging from expo footage. Though i admit it is kinda...distracting. But that is no fault of hers.

P.S. i noticed the whole motorbike discusion started here.... ech. Motorbikes are so unsafe i wonder why havent they were regulated to extinction yet. Yes cars do a lot of accidents too, but you know what? most of those do not hurt people. You know there is a reason when its raining doctors refer to bikers as driving donors.

Krantos:
Holy shit. Someone else (besides Yahtzee) knows Full Throttle exists!?

That game came with a computer my dad bought back in like 95. Probably the first Adventure game I played all the way through. Of course given that the only OTHER games we had on that computer were a three level demo of Star Wars Dark Forces and something like Puffy the Fish or some banal kiddie game.

To be honest, though, I had way too much fun having Ben repeatedly Kick the dumpster in the beginning. "Take That" "And that" "Eh, I've woken up in worse."

I solved this game in '98 I think, but I never watched the final cutscene until two years ago due to the game always crashing. It was great that someone capped it and put it on YouTube.

"You got something on your nose....*WHAM* THE BAR!"

Another great vid Lisa! Keep up the awesome work! :)

Why do I always agree with the games shown in the intro clip, but I never much care for the actual chosen ones for the Top 5?

Does anyone else remember a motorcycle racing game from about 1998 where you could attack the other riders? The combat was similar to that in Full Throttle, you could uses chains, crowbars, baseball bats & well timed kicks and punches, but IMHO felt much better implemented and more fun. I've been trying to remember what the game was called for years.

Andrew_C:
Does anyone else remember a motorcycle racing game from about 1998 where you could attack the other riders? The combat was similar to that in Full Throttle, you could uses chains, crowbars, baseball bats & well timed kicks and punches, but IMHO felt much better implemented and more fun. I've been trying to remember what the game was called for years.

sounds like Road Rash.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or