Jimquisition: Ownership & Happiness - The Queen's Speech 2013

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

to be fair, i'm watching it the day after christmas because it was posted the day after christmas.
but yeah, it sure would be nice if everyone suddenly decided to spontaneously stop being shit, but you know how it is. holding onto a hopeless wish like that's only going to weigh you down. people are only getting worse.

Not a bad episode at all. Even if only to show although he does go over-the-top he does believe in what he says. Not just for show, not all the time atleast.

See, this is a great, really fair and honest video. Really enjoyable.

I'm curious how he reconciles this, with the tone of his last video.

The Queen's speech is the best speech.
We should have this broadcast worldwide on TV as well.

In 2013, the Jimquisition has become something that I genuinely look forward to every week. The videos always are put together very well and give me something to think about regardless of whether I agree or not. You bring attention to important issues and add to the commentary in a respectable way. You've also become my favorite games journalist this past year, Jim- your reviews are harsh but fair, you actually discuss a game in lots of critical detail, and you're not afraid to both bring the hammer down when necessary and give credit where credit is due.

I just wanted to thank you for giving so much of your time and effort to both educate and entertain us week after week, Jim. You are truly a Queen among men.

Here's to a great 2014, which shall be the Year of Jim Sterling. Thank God for you!

"If you need an excuse to not be a shit person, you're a shit person." -- Jim Sterling.

So simple, so bleeding obvious, so profound.

Happy New Year Jimmy boy.

Saw the Darksiders Death Mask in the background, are you a fan of darksiders 2 as well Jim?

Jim, you are my favorite video game persona in every regard.
Even when I don't agree with you, which I've found to be rare, I always respect the crap out of you.

Happy Christmas, Jimothy.

If I'd known at the beginning I was allowed to skip it I could've eaten dinner before work! God damn it.

Just kidding. Marvelous message sir.

*pause*
Just one correction, the Sarkeesian hatred was neither bad nor good, for Anita willingly chose to be a troll; she chose to line her decent points with incendiary subtext; she chose to keep that smug goddamn face every second she's recording.

Whether or not anyone *deserves* to be treated that way isn't as important here as the fact that she *wanted* to be treated that way. And it's not like this is hard to prove; she boasts about her hatred in presentations and seminars, it's clearly what she wanted and is clearly happy that she has it.

Great video Jim, that was quite a speech indeed.

Have a Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year.

Merry Christmas Jim! Happy to watch this, even if it's not on Christmas.

Dammit Jim, don't you dare go soft on us!

Not even this time of year should soften our hearts towards companies like EA.

We should be even more hateful against those bastards, especially now, to really drive home just how much we hate them.

Even Christmas can't save them!

Jim m'lad, been a great year. You've made some excellent videos and spread knowledge and insight to the general public. Thank you for all your hard work, and I wish you and your family the best for the new year man. Much love from California. (S.F. Bay Area) Indeed, thank god for you!

Jarod

This was a nice little chat Jim. Thanks for that. I have also come to generally enjoy checking your video every week, and whereas we don't always see eye to eye, it is still an interesting and insightful romp across the fields of your passionate mind. I'm glad we share more than a part of our name *grins*

Hey Jim!

Stumbled accross your videos, while having a shitty time. Watched, really enjoyed the theme song! ... and your laconic, passionate and outspoken way of thinking and doing the show! Not having a shitty time anymore, but still watch the show.

So, that's that.
Oh, yeah, almost forgot: Thank you, for you (you can choose to interpret this anyway you like, as long as there's no spanish inquisition around, I guess...)

UltraHammer:
*pause*
Just one correction, the Sarkeesian hatred was neither bad nor good, for Anita willingly chose to be a troll; she chose to line her decent points with incendiary subtext; she chose to keep that smug goddamn face every second she's recording.

Whether or not anyone *deserves* to be treated that way isn't as important here as the fact that she *wanted* to be treated that way. And it's not like this is hard to prove; she boasts about her hatred in presentations and seminars, it's clearly what she wanted and is clearly happy that she has it.

I haven't followed the whole Anita mess too closely, but I've watched some of her videos, so... what exactly are you referring to when you say she "lined her decent points with incendiary subtext"? Or "that smug goddamn face"? It concerns me that her face is making you angry.

For the record, staying silent about the *mountains* of shit that were heaped on her, so much of which was gender-related, would've been a disservice to anyone who is harassed like that. That is, regardless of the "reason" all of that bile was sent to her. I think she's absolutely right to bring it up and use it to her advantage, considering how common that kind of shit is in the gaming community (and in general). One of the main points of the hate-mail is to silence.

Anyway, I actually just logged in to thank Jim for being Jim :) I think we could all do with being less shit people. Happy New Year!

Congrats Jim, you just got real and it was still entertaining.

I plan to continue watching your show for the foreseeable future.

You mentioned anita - isntant contraversy.

Phil Fish however was himself harassing the media far more than he recieved harassment, so im not sad about him leaving. Good riddance i say.

---

Not enjoying an argument is bad reason to stop. Just because it is unconfortable does not mean it must go away.

Also nice of you to tell us not to watch the episode in the end of the episode. Well played.

Vault Citizen:
You forgot reason 3 not to be watching on Chrismtas Day Jim

"or you suffered a power cut on the day and weren't able to turn your lights on, let alone go on the internet"

Nonesense, there are things like batteries and mobile phones! there is no excuse not to watch Jim talk.

hentropy:
I'd vote for you for Queen any day, Jim.

I sincerely hope you wrote this knowing the irony of "voting for a queen".

saxman234:
Dear Escapists. Please stop having ads that are videos that start by themselves. They are obnoxious and make people get ad block. I have not done that yet but if i have to keep turning off these video ads I may be convinced to. This is an advertisement from 'Yahoo' and is something about "Keith's Story".

Great unscripted episode Jim! It was interesting to watch an episode without the persona. Looking forward to the worst games of 2013!

I have to second that, video advertisement is the most evil you can get with a website. then again i didnt saw any because i think site is broken for me today. this is how the mainpage looks to me:

All the polygons, dammit :'(
Non-existing God bless you indeed Jim.
And happy new year to you, my fellow escapee.
Yes you. Not someone else, but you.
I know you're reading this right now.
So happy new year to you.
I wish you to be one of the last person eaten by polar bears.

Strazdas:

Phil Fish however was himself harassing the media far more than he recieved harassment, so im not sad about him leaving. Good riddance i say.

I personally never understood this point of view.... Because you know, you can just ignore Phil Fish and problemo solved, and you can keep enjoying Fez, its not like suddenly it becomes a horrible game because his creator is an asshole to you...
Dont feed the troll, etcetera, wasnt that one of the main rules of the internet? Phil Fish may have been an asshole but he did good games, he should come back (and stay in silence).

2013 has proven to be an absolutely wretched year for gaming.
Not without its bright points, obviously, but the cons greatly outweighed the pros.

More than anything, this year was the Year of Deception and Anger.

Darkeagle6:

For the record, staying silent about the *mountains* of shit that were heaped on her, so much of which was gender-related, would've been a disservice to anyone who is harassed like that. That is, regardless of the "reason" all of that bile was sent to her. I think she's absolutely right to bring it up and use it to her advantage, considering how common that kind of shit is in the gaming community (and in general). One of the main points of the hate-mail is to silence.

While Anita's trolling exposes the rot within the greater "gaming community", I can't see any way this has benefited us or the medium. Well, unless you're the sort who just loves reading flame wars.

To me, this is an absolute No-Win scenario. Either I have to endure Ms Sarkeesian's frequent cherry picking and sometimes questionable rhetoric (to call her work "academic" only proves one's ignorance to what academic standards actually are, like the ignorance of a certain overblown movie critic I could name) or I have to endure the misogynist idiots and reactionary hate trolls who respond to her purely for attention.

Which has resulted in a profoundly fucked up Symbiotic relationship between Sarkeesian and her hater/trolls; an amazing tag-team constructed to generate buzz for Sarkeesian while conveniently giving her a way to ignore all REAL, valid, logical criticism. And sadly, it works, as there are people who blindly latch onto her every word even in the face of proof to the contrary.

So yeah...I agree with UltraHammer here. She has embraced the internet hate machine, and is milking it.
A pity we couldn't much that's actually worthwhile out of it.

reiniat:

Strazdas:

I personally never understood this point of view.... Because you know, you can just ignore Phil Fish and problemo solved, and you can keep enjoying Fez, its not like suddenly it becomes a horrible game because his creator is an asshole to you...
Dont feed the troll, etcetera, wasnt that one of the main rules of the internet? Phil Fish may have been an asshole but he did good games, he should come back (and stay in silence).

So if Phil Fish is insulting me, i can "just ignore it". Then so can he when he is being harassed as well, problem solved? apparently not.
No, the internet is beatiful in that there is only one rule - dont get caught. It is the last bastion of freedom left where government hasnt managed to regulate thought significantly enough. However some websites have their own restrictions, like this ones rule of conduit.
Personally i never cared about his games, so that was not a factor in it, however i believe that if by buying Fez i would have given him encouragement to be an asshole then it is right thing to do not to buy Fez, despite it being a good game. I know not everyone thinks the same in this case, but that is that.

Atmos Duality:

While Anita's trolling exposes the rot within the greater "gaming community", I can't see any way this has benefited us or the medium. Well, unless you're the sort who just loves reading flame wars.

To me, this is an absolute No-Win scenario. Either I have to endure Ms Sarkeesian's frequent cherry picking and sometimes questionable rhetoric (to call her work "academic" only proves one's ignorance to what academic standards actually are, like the ignorance of a certain overblown movie critic I could name) or I have to endure the misogynist idiots and reactionary hate trolls who respond to her purely for attention.

Which has resulted in a profoundly fucked up Symbiotic relationship between Sarkeesian and her hater/trolls; an amazing tag-team constructed to generate buzz for Sarkeesian while conveniently giving her a way to ignore all REAL, valid, logical criticism. And sadly, it works, as there are people who blindly latch onto her every word even in the face of proof to the contrary.

So yeah...I agree with UltraHammer here. She has embraced the internet hate machine, and is milking it.

Reading flame wars is like watching a great drama, except completely real.
You are correct in that Anita is a unique case in this, as most of the hate she has garnered - she created herself, either through attacking the internet first (going to 4 chan of all places too), or though blatantly lieing about her own life (she says shes a long time gamer then next time says she only started playing shortly before making videos, ect). Much of the hate for the gal is very much warranted, though i agree that personal attacks and death treats are obviously unwelcome. The problem is that in the sea of hate and trolling legitimate criticism gets swept under "you evil haters" just the same, which makes it a painful exercise to not just give up and go "Whatever".
She has conned the internet very well, she knew where to touch us to make the trolls come after her and then turned it around on ourselves and startmed making money off it. If this was intentional, and it very much feels that way, all i can say is congratulations, you have outsmarted the internet.
She hasnt embraced the internet hate machine, she abused it.

Well said and God bless, Jim. It matters about the games and about the people who make them.

Dunno if feedback Fish got was deserved or not, but still. I hope he does return, and it would also be cool if he brings a new game with him. After all, it's the enjoyment that we gamers all share and should all share to keep ourselves happy friendly, and whatnot. It's the development of the game that we all enjoy from the start to the finish.

Love the video Jim. Look forward to your yearly speech from now on and as always your other weekly posts. Merry Christmas and thank you for taking time out of your holiday and posting this video.

god save Jim,
thank god for Jim

but yeah, we as gamers should stick together as a positive, supportive force, instead of a destructive one

Strazdas:

reiniat:

Strazdas:

So if Phil Fish is insulting me, i can "just ignore it". Then so can he when he is being harassed as well, problem solved? apparently not.
No, the internet is beatiful in that there is only one rule - dont get caught. It is the last bastion of freedom left where government hasnt managed to regulate thought significantly enough. However some websites have their own restrictions, like this ones rule of conduit.
Personally i never cared about his games, so that was not a factor in it, however i believe that if by buying Fez i would have given him encouragement to be an asshole then it is right thing to do not to buy Fez, despite it being a good game. I know not everyone thinks the same in this case, but that is that.

NOPE, if you ignore it the problem ends FOR YOU, not for Phil Phish (see what i did with his name?XD), im sure that after some time in the internet you started ignoring the people who where obviously going to start a flamewar, mainly because repeating the truth over and over becomes cumbersome. The problem with Phil Fish was mainly personal; he kept fueling the flamewar he created, if he started ignoring those people then the problem would have ended for HIM, not for the people who kept harassing him, but it doesnt matter because he would have continued developing his game.
The internet is, most of the time, just letters on the screen which you can ignore or turn off, no need to punish yourself reading and answering :)
Buying or not buying Fez is, of course, entirely up to you :D

Strazdas:

Atmos Duality:

Reading flame wars is like watching a great drama, except completely real.
You are correct in that Anita is a unique case in this, as most of the hate she has garnered - she created herself, either through attacking the internet first (going to 4 chan of all places too), or through blatantly lieing about her own life (she says shes a long time gamer then next time says she only started playing shortly before making videos, ect). Much of the hate for the gal is very much warranted, though i agree that personal attacks and death treats are obviously unwelcome. The problem is that in the sea of hate and trolling legitimate criticism gets swept under "you evil haters" just the same, which makes it a painful exercise to not just give up and go "Whatever".
She has conned the internet very well, she knew where to touch us to make the trolls come after her and then turned it around on ourselves and startmed making money off it. If this was intentional, and it very much feels that way, all i can say is congratulations, you have outsmarted the internet.
She hasnt embraced the internet hate machine, she abused it.

I believe that Anita was initially dumb enough to talk about stuff she didnt know, lie and then go attack 4chan... She strikes me as the kind of person who loves to lie to herself (but then again, who doesnt?). She probably still considers shes right, the internet is wrong, and all the hating is just the confirmation of her ideas, and of course, she just shrugs of the facts she doesnt like (such as the fact that shes A LIAR, and she barely understands the media she watches/plays).
I been ignoring her all this time, but sometimes i cant afford but feel that something needs to be done against her. We should put her in a discussion with people of the industry that have actual knowledge of it. The list is pretty long, but ironically i would expect them to turn off the request believing she doesnt need or deserve that amount of attention, or that their fans will poop in whatever they claim to love if Anita demands them to do so, and thus at this point any kind of rational discussion is impossible :(

Again with Anita who used the backlash, that she had full control over btw, to her spamming 4chan for her own profit as an example for internet harassment? When we had much much worse cases this year where people where driven to suicide? (but i guess these cases with real consequences where never connected to games... you know except for phil these cases never really have any consquences.. or atleast none that get reported about)

She played those fools and laughed all the way to the bank... Anita really needs not to be protected or even named when most likely she or someone close to her set the whole incident up to profit from it.

Never before or after did she allowed comments on her youtube videos, and mind you she had alot of youtube videos before that one.. and even stated so in an earlier video about feminist frequency that she doesnt allow discussions on any of her videos period.. just that ONE anouncement video had comments allowed for a limited time, right after 4chan was provoked by spamming advertisments for her video series. And only after sites like the escapist began to report about it did her kickstarter finaly picked up.

Basicly before poking 4chan the internet didnt even really knew she existed in the first place... now she aparantly gets hired as consultant by companies about how to picture female chars and actually gets invited to the national news... allbeit on fox.. but watev...

So please... pleaaaaase stop painting her as a martyr when she made mad profit from the whole incident she set up herself. Shes a clever woman but she sure is not the victim people make her out to be.

Also i think you have pictured the whole sarkesian debate way to one sided since theres alot of material out there that calls into questions not only her motives but also her methods WITHOUT relying on anything that comes from the 4chan department.

Infact that was something i noticed with alot of internet outlets about gaming this year, everyone was quick to jump to her defense without actually taking a step back and look at the arguments of both sides. And with both sides i do not mean the mudflingers but the tons and tons and tons of well worded critique on her that consists of anything but insults.

Yet Arnita suddenly became this optimus prime martyr figure of women in the video gaming industry.

Despite the fact that her thesis that (according to her opinion) "sexist" video games somehow make people sexist is the same nonsense that we got from a certain lawyer who claimed tha GTA turns children into mass murderers.

Yet i have to see you or anyone else jump to the defence of that guy and make a martyr out of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFk5F-S_hI

marry Christmas Jim. you have a great show and may it continue to be so

reiniat:

NOPE, if you ignore it the problem ends FOR YOU, not for Phil Phish (see what i did with his name?XD), im sure that after some time in the internet you started ignoring the people who where obviously going to start a flamewar, mainly because repeating the truth over and over becomes cumbersome. The problem with Phil Fish was mainly personal; he kept fueling the flamewar he created, if he started ignoring those people then the problem would have ended for HIM, not for the people who kept harassing him, but it doesnt matter because he would have continued developing his game.
The internet is, most of the time, just letters on the screen which you can ignore or turn off, no need to punish yourself reading and answering :)
Buying or not buying Fez is, of course, entirely up to you :D

<...>
I believe that Anita was initially dumb enough to talk about stuff she didnt know, lie and then go attack 4chan... She strikes me as the kind of person who loves to lie to herself (but then again, who doesnt?). She probably still considers shes right, the internet is wrong, and all the hating is just the confirmation of her ideas, and of course, she just shrugs of the facts she doesnt like (such as the fact that shes A LIAR, and she barely understands the media she watches/plays).
I been ignoring her all this time, but sometimes i cant afford but feel that something needs to be done against her. We should put her in a discussion with people of the industry that have actual knowledge of it. The list is pretty long, but ironically i would expect them to turn off the request believing she doesnt need or deserve that amount of attention, or that their fans will poop in whatever they claim to love if Anita demands them to do so, and thus at this point any kind of rational discussion is impossible :(

Does the problem end for me if i ignore him? Does he stop insulting me? Does he get appropriately punished for his misbehavior if i ignore him? How does running away from the problem solves it?
Rpeating the truth becomes cumbersome, but in another forum i am actually notoriuos for being the only guy consistently not giving up on trolls in homosexuality thread (yes, majority there are actually against it.....). I dont ignore flamers, i try to teach them a thing or two. If i help at least a few people its been worth it in my opinion. Some will say im wasting time, but thats their opinion.

And here in the second part of your post you prove how ignoring the problem didnt solve it for you and you want to take other actions.
I do not think Anita is dumb. Im the kind of guy that do not automatically attribute to stupid what can easily be malice, because thats an easy way to walk into a trap.

Igen:
Jim, I will always think of you as the noble queen. Good speech. I think the video game community has evolved into a common community, full of good and shit people, just like any other group with a large population. Sadly the shit gets spread around more than it should, and most people outside our community ignore any good we do. But, progress is still progress, hopefully one day we will have more apparent good, than shit.

Amen, we can dream, eh? Also, your avatar is SOOOOOOOOO CUUUTE! XD

Strazdas:
You mentioned anita - isntant contraversy.

---

Not enjoying an argument is bad reason to stop. Just because it is unconfortable does not mean it must go away.

Also nice of you to tell us not to watch the episode in the end of the episode. Well played.

Vault Citizen:
You forgot reason 3 not to be watching on Chrismtas Day Jim

"or you suffered a power cut on the day and weren't able to turn your lights on, let alone go on the internet"

Nonesense, there are things like batteries and mobile phones! there is no excuse not to watch Jim talk.

hentropy:
I'd vote for you for Queen any day, Jim.

I sincerely hope you wrote this knowing the irony of "voting for a queen".

saxman234:
Dear Escapists. Please stop having ads that are videos that start by themselves. They are obnoxious and make people get ad block. I have not done that yet but if i have to keep turning off these video ads I may be convinced to. This is an advertisement from 'Yahoo' and is something about "Keith's Story".

Great unscripted episode Jim! It was interesting to watch an episode without the persona. Looking forward to the worst games of 2013!

I have to second that, video advertisement is the most evil you can get with a website. then again i didnt saw any because i think site is broken for me today. this is how the mainpage looks to me:

Because of the black out the phone service was kind of dodgy and there was no 3G service on all day, it was hard enough to make phone calls, let alone browse.

Daystar Clarion:
God save our gracious Queen,
Live long our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

Merry Christmas, Jim, I hope you have another great year.

You seem to have accidentally substituted the word 'Queen' for 'Jim' in those lyrics... Just so you know.

In the UK the Queen's speech is mainly written by the Prime Minister and states what the government is planning to do. Oddly the Conservatives voted against their own Queen's speech last year, mainly because some Conservative MPs didn't like it (their party has a few problems).

MS's policy reversal is the biggest disappointment of the year. Instead we now have two wildly similar consoles that changed very little from last generation. All this standard Sterling-bullshit about "Rabble! The consumers' rights are no more!" has put this industry behind.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here