Game of Thrones Abridged: Season One - Nothing to Lose Your Head Over

Pages PREV 1 2

Falterfire:
I'm disappointed in this mainly because it felt less like an abridged series and more like a series of disconnected jokes. I haven't actually seen Game of Thrones and was really hoping this would have more to offer in the way of explanation. Something more like Dragonball Z Abridged or Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged where the series stands on its own without needing to have first seen the original work.

This.

It was funny, in that it made me smile, but it didn't really at all feel like an abridged series.

Two suggestions:

1) Get some more voice actors. You can do several voices, sure, but not all of them.

2) Don't try to sum up whole seasons. Not even to catch up quickly. Part of the charm of an Abridged Series is getting a (twisted) version of the plot.

Seriously, look at SMA (Sailor Moon Abridged) or any of the Abridged series mentioned above.

I haven't seen a single episode of GOT yet because I was already engaged in other relationships. However the video made me consider the possibily to start watching it. If the second episode is as funny as this one, I'm in.

Bara_no_Hime:

Falterfire:
I'm disappointed in this mainly because it felt less like an abridged series and more like a series of disconnected jokes. I haven't actually seen Game of Thrones and was really hoping this would have more to offer in the way of explanation. Something more like Dragonball Z Abridged or Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged where the series stands on its own without needing to have first seen the original work.

This.

It was funny, in that it made me smile, but it didn't really at all feel like an abridged series.

That's because it's not trying to be a Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged clone. It's more along the lines of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

That was pretty funny.

Why do they call the show Game of Thrones? That's like calling the Harry Potter movies 'Philosopher's Stone'.

I read the books after I had seen the first 3 series. Needless to say, I knew Stark was going to loose his head, because Sean Bean.

I love these. More.

Most amusing, more please. Also good to see Matt on the Escapist.

Olas:
That was pretty funny.

Why do they call the show Game of Thrones? That's like calling the Harry Potter movies 'Philosopher's Stone'.

Because Game of Thrones is a more appealing name for a TV show than A Song of Ice and Fire. And it's a little different for films, they can't exactly change the show's name for every season.

OT: I didn't really find this funny. I am glad you didn't use the whole "Fucking game of, fucking game of..." from the trailer cause that got old really fast but I was expecting more of a DBZ abridged style, not a bunch of jokes that are vaguely related to the scene they are in told in a range of "british" accents.

You know what, I thought it was pretty damn funny throwing them into a range of British social stereotypes. Maybe your humour doesn't quite cross the sea? I think it was a little bit reverential of Tyrion, but then, everyone is.

But I got quite a few laughs, and I believe he'll get better as time goes on. Does anyone remember the first Jimquisition? Geez.

Think ill stick to the TeamFourStar guys much funnier.

Afraid this one didn't make me laugh that much. I did very much like the trailer last week though.

Like it better when it "seemed" as if the characters were actually saying those things, never had that impression this episode.

Still, keep it up!

I smiled throughout but there was nothing super funny about it. It just kept referencing future events.

The Mighty Thesaurus:
That's because it's not trying to be a Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged clone. It's more along the lines of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU

Yeah... that wasn't an abridged series. That was a parody of a news announcement.

If you put "Game of Thrones Abridged" on your video, I expect an Abridged series.

And calling any proper Abridged series a "Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Clone" is like calling all sandbox games Grand Theft Auto clones - technically correct, but it rather misses the point of a new genre being formed.

Really liked it, very funny cant wait for next time

A few funny jokes but calling it an abridged series is giving the wrong impressions, it feels more like watching a best of rifftraxs then it does an abridged series.

aah good stuff, thanks.

This is garbage, you just kinda sped through the plot and just made awful one liners. Also DBZ abridged already did the don't stop me now joke

Heheh, I'm actually happy that this is here. Yeah yeah, it wasn't an actual abridged thing, but who cares? "Oh noes, it was Crush when I was expecting Dr. Pepper. One Star." Maybe it was funnier to me because I've not actually watched much of the show.

You keep doing what you're doing Matt, complainers are going to complain no matter what.

...tch. I really wanted to like this.

Matt's pretty awesome, his game conference videos were brilliant, and he was just all-around great at Videogamer.com and beyond (hope to see him on the Co-Optional Podcast again soon). Seeing him here was a real boon after his departure from Videogamer.com, so I was quite excited. But honestly, I have to say that the method he used on the games conference videos doesn't seem conductive to this kind of thing. It's 4 minutes of silly nonsense slap-dashed together, and that can be great, but it just did not work here.

I'll stick it out though. Keep on with it Matt, and hopefully I'll get more out of the future ones. Just glad to see you're still within my media consumption.

Mmmmm... I love me some Matt Lees... but this was just so unfunny. It's possible "Medieval land fun-time world" spoiled me, but I think even without that I would not have been amused by this.

That was pretty funny, brilliant summary of a whole season of tits, and not getting beheaded.

Also tits

jimmiusmaximus:
This seems to be the attitude of a lot of people. I don't think you have ever seen any of Matt's abridged conferences.

and on a side note, the DBZ and YGO abridged videos are absolute tosh. Just saying.

1) I don't care how many abridged conferences Matt has been to, spoken at, or hosted his Game of Thrones abridge series was still terrible.

2) Just because you don't like DBZ and YGO abridged doesn't make this video any less of a failure at abridging. At least if you watch DBZ and YGO abridged you'll know the general plot of these series and who the characters are, something Matt's abridged series failed to do.

Helikaon:
The aim was never to have a summary of the story, If that's what you were expecting you're going to be disappointed.

How is it abridging if you don't summarise (abridge) the story? Is Matt also going to claim this was a musical even though there wasn't any singing?

Matt's abridged videos have always been about just having a bit of fun.

Being fun doesn't change the fact that it has nothing to do with abridging. Why not just call this video "funny voice-overs" since this would be more accurate.

Perhaps this type of humour isn't your thing, and that's fair enough. But I for one don't always need to have "clever" jokes to have a laugh.

The problem isn't the humour (though it was pretty bad and almost incomprehensible if you haven't seen Game of Thrones), it's the fact that Matt called his video an abridged version but didn't abridge the story. This is the fault of Matt for misnaming his video, not the audience for actually knowing what abridged means.

I enjoyed this. I'm gonna look forward to all the others.

Bloody hell, that was fun...

If the books were actually that fun I would have no trouble reading them...
I am mostly getting stuck at part where people are complete idiots and in the end I find myself cheering when people that should be guys I should adore are getting slaughtered because of intrigue that badass anti-heros came up with.

Found it very funny actually.

Looking forward to the next one next week.

Seems like this was a very divisive video. Though I have to say, abridged means summarized right? Also...

Bara_no_Hime:

1) Get some more voice actors. You can do several voices, sure, but not all of them.

I'm pretty sure YGOTAS voices are still done by just one person, from what I can tell.

EDIT: I forgot, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep looking at these. Guess I'm just tired...

I am always staggered when reading the Escapist comments by the sheer number of dumb twats who do not seem to have the requisite amount of knowledge thereof, nor respect for the contributors.

Matt Lees is a comedy genius: he was the main writer for the brilliant 'Charlie Brooker's Video Games that Changed the World'. For VideoGamer TV he created (in a very timely manner) the E3 abridged videos, as well as the call to accountability for Star Trek's doctored metacritic reviews, et al. He's "kind of a big deal" in the games community.

You are honoured to be able to watch his videos here; I personally would give him a handy in a crowded cinema just to hear his opinion. I thought this video was, while not his best work, still 99% better than the shite a lot of you cumguzzlers are citing. Any one who is making comparisons to those woeful DBZ abridged videos, STFU. How many f*&%ing times can you say "It's over 9000" and still expect to be topical and/or funny? You are running on meme wit, and could do with a decent punch in the face.

I only hope that Escapist don't try to f*&% him over like they did to Extra Credits.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here