The Witcher 2: Epic, Everywhere and No DRM

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Asehujiko:

Jiraiya72:
I'll laugh when it becomes hugely pirated. Then I'll be sitting here laughing as pirates try to explain they did it because of DRM. Oh wait it has no DRM, so you have no excuse.

Except if they're lying through their teeth again like they did with TWEE, which was also supposed to be DRM free and included starforce or tages, depending on your region. The first makes your dvd drive self destruct and the second doubles load times(conservative estimate), devours tons of CPU power and makes the game crash constantly on slow computers.

Given their 0 truths 1 lies total score on this topic, I'm very, very weary of them and have absolutely no intention of purchasing this before I have access to some more trustworthy source about their "no drm" and a demo/benchmark of their new engine. I won't fault others for getting that demo through unofficial means given the developer's reputation.

...then buy the GOG version (once it releases, obviously)? I hear you, I'm going to abstain from paying out until I hear what the UK retail DRM is, but GOG's 100% DRM free, and I doubt they're going to throw that reputation away just for one game: they'll be torn to shreads.

Jiraiya72:
I'll laugh when it becomes hugely pirated. Then I'll be sitting here laughing as pirates try to explain they did it because of DRM. Oh wait it has no DRM, so you have no excuse.

Because putting DRM on a game has ever prevented it from being cracked and pirated anyway? Hell, DRM doesn't even prevent it anymore, you can find most games on Torrent sites, fully cracked, on release day.

On topic:

I'll definitely be checking this out, I was a fan of the first game plus I absolutely love GoG.com.

Is the no DRM thing actually a surprise? I mean, they did the same thing with the first one - originally just a disk-check, which was later removed via a patch. Regardless, I'm actually quite glad to hear that they're including some bonuses with the "normal" version, too. Soundtrack and art book were all I really wanted but I can live without the book.

Asehujiko:

Jiraiya72:

Except if they're lying through their teeth again like they did with TWEE, which was also supposed to be DRM free and included starforce or tages, depending on your region. The first makes your dvd drive self destruct and the second doubles load times(conservative estimate), devours tons of CPU power and makes the game crash constantly on slow computers.

Given their 0 truths 1 lies total score on this topic, I'm very, very weary of them and have absolutely no intention of purchasing this before I have access to some more trustworthy source about their "no drm" and a demo/benchmark of their new engine. I won't fault others for getting that demo through unofficial means given the developer's reputation.

The Enhanced Edition is DRM free, once fully patched up-to-date. I just loaded it up with no disc in the drive. I think it was originally meant to be but they couldn't swing it with Atari at the time. So they just released a patch to remove all DRM shortly after releasing the Enhanced Edition. Don't believe me, go try it. I'll wait.

The GoG version will definitely be DRM free. To do otherwise would undermine a service they've built up over the last few years. The Steam version will be Steam, and I suspect the retail versions may have some disc protection on them. But this is down to the publisher for the most part. The developer has little control over how the product is physically released.

I loved the first game, in fact, I will reinstall and play it again. I will buy this game, if I can, the Collectors edition.

Oh my. I'm not even sure I like The Witcher, and I'm drooling right now.

Gotta...buy...collectors...sell...kidney...

Andy Chalk:
But even the regular edition is pretty solid. It's pretty much a baseline collector's edition in its own right.

As for me, I'm all over that CE. Price be damned. :)

Firstly, *thumbs up* on the avatar.

While I would love to buy that collectors edition, I really couldn't justify it. Will be buying this for release day though as really liked the first one even though I never managed to finish it.

Irridium:

Gildan Bladeborn:

Now to justify paying $130 for the actual collectors edition...

Justify it by saying your doing it to support an amazing company.

That should have read "Justify paying $130 for the actual collectors edition to my inner cheapskate, who holds the purse strings and balks at figures with more than 2 digits in the dollars column for individual games something fierce."

But to be perfectly honest, the only reason I haven't already pre-ordered the collectors edition was that I had to run to a class, so there wasn't enough time to fully research and then finalize the transaction, heh. I'm totally buying it the moment I get home tonight (long day, bleh).

Update: One ridiculous Collector's Edition pre-ordered, huzzah. Now I need to think of where I'll display an imitation marble bust...

Oh man I am so close to living out my dream of throwing a marble bust at someone and shouting "BUST! I CHOOSE YOU!!" I'm going to create such bad poblicity for the witcher 2 ll

Every time I see something for this game it makes my mouth water. The combat, graphics, lore, environments, conversations/decisions, and all around gritty storytelling all look superb. Now to top it all off, the collector's (hell, even the "normal") edition looks awesome. I've been looking for a chance to play the first one for a while now (despite Yatzee sub-par review of it), but due to the ridiculously crappy limitations of my current computer, I can't. Hopefully the holiday season will remedy that so I can at least get some time to enjoy the first one before the second comes out.

On a side note, maybe I'm just retarded on the subject (not a huge PC gamer), or maybe it's just a brain fart; what does DRM mean?

Sir_Auron_the_Badass:
Every time I see something for this game it makes my mouth water. The combat, graphics, lore, environments, conversations/decisions, and all around gritty storytelling all look superb. Now to top it all off, the collector's (hell, even the "normal") edition looks awesome. I've been looking for a chance to play the first one for a while now (despite Yatzee sub-par review of it), but due to the ridiculously crappy limitations of my current computer, I can't. Hopefully the holiday season will remedy that so I can at least get some time to enjoy the first one before the second comes out.

On a side note, maybe I'm just retarded on the subject (not a huge PC gamer), or maybe it's just a brain fart; what does DRM mean?

DRM... Digital Rights Management... it's the shit that fucks up legitamate buyers' machines (tages, starforce, securom, etc....*ptoo*)

double post :/

Sir_Auron_the_Badass:

Digital Restrictions Management. It restricts what you can do with your copy of the game, like playing it offline or without a cd check.

Edit: Gah, double post. Darn page caching.

And this is (one more reason) why I love CD Projekt...

And for once Steam is beaten. Sorry Gabe, but that's the way the cookie...oh, he's ate it.

Worgen:
sounds like Im gonna have to get a physical copy since I miss when games used to come with cool stuff so Im all about cool stuff

Absolutely, cool stuff in the box was great. I remeber when I bought a Star Wars game back in the day and it came with coins from Alderaan and Tatooine. Just something that simple was cool.

I wonder how such a small company can afford this. Expecially after the beating they took on Elemental. They probably NEED Witcher 2 to be a hit in order to survive.

The_root_of_all_evil:
And for once Steam is beaten. Sorry Gabe, but that's the way the cookie...oh, he's ate it.

Fat Gabe jokes will just never get old, ha ha!

dogenzakaminion:

Worgen:
sounds like Im gonna have to get a physical copy since I miss when games used to come with cool stuff so Im all about cool stuff

Absolutely, cool stuff in the box was great. I remeber when I bought a Star Wars game back in the day and it came with coins from Alderaan and Tatooine. Just something that simple was cool.

yeah, now we barely get a pamphlet that tells you more then pressing the mouse shoots a gun or something

I'm so proud to be Polish at time likes this :)

I love The Witcher books, I love the first The Witcher game, and The Witcher 2 is my #2 game to buy in 2011 after L.A. Noire. This is going to be sooooooo great.

Gildan Bladeborn:
Now I need to think of where I'll display an imitation marble bust...

In your imitation marble bra?

this got me even more excited about this game, first game was amazing, hope this one is worth the long wait.

and yes i like my rpgs long and full of depth, tho i had read that w2 will be shorter than the first game which is kind of sad if true.

KorLeonis:
Are they gonna keep all that great T&A in this one or will they make it tamer?

They've said in previous interviews that they're going to handle it differently but that Geralt's way with the ladies is a big part of the character, so you won't see it going away. And since the first gameplay trailer featured a damsel in distress with her entirely uncovered funbags flapping in the breeze, it looks like they're going to be true to their word.

Wow.

I wasn't going to get this, but I will now.

Very nice work.

Sweetening the deal even more, GOG is offering a "fair price package" on the game, giving buyers in Europe and the U.K. an in-store credit in U.S. dollars to make up the price difference between their purchase and the worldwide, ie. U.S., cost.

GLORIOUS

Just pre ordered it from gog even though I haven't played the first. Don't really care if I miss on some back story as long as this game is fun to play.

DRM free and epic stuff that comes with it! I will buy this, if i only hade money...

Damn it.

Thi is how games should be released. I remember back in the days when i bought Baldurs Gate it came with a cloth map, thick manual, a free Forgotten Realms novel and bunch of other stuff, bu default, not in some overpriced CE.
That way gamers at least can feel appreciated and rewarded for buying legit, fresh copies of games rather than resorting to second-hand/piracy.

i want to curse the world for having some important exams in june-july, so in May I'll probably be stressed enough with them that I don't play it until after 15 july....but damn right I'll definetly buy the over the top one when it's released, I'll just drool over it until I finish with learning.

TsunamiWombat:
I wonder how such a small company can afford this. Expecially after the beating they took on Elemental. They probably NEED Witcher 2 to be a hit in order to survive.

Wrong company. CD Projekt is not related to Stardock (the Elemental developers). CD Projekt own GOG, and that's been pretty profitable for them.

Andy Chalk:
an imitation marble bust of Geralt that looks big and heavy enough to do some serious damage in an emergency.

what is imatation marble when its not imatating marble? plastic, wood, plaster of paris?

Nice, I often reminisce about the time that games came in artsy packages full of goodies.

I think it is important for a maker to show that they are proud of their product and for a game a good way to do that is to make the outside of the box represent what is inside imo.

I'd gladly pay a couple more euros for the game if they take the effort to do that.

Sadly, only Blizzard seems to have continued this practice in recent days (ofc excluding collector's editions).

Jiraiya72:

Trying to argue that case would be exactly like your profile pic.

Irridium:

AC10:

I'd imagine the boxed copy would only have like a CD Key or something like that. To my limited knowledge my rattly old brain seems to remember reading that CD Projekt Red isn't really a fan of DRM.

Gildan Bladeborn:

brain seems to remember reading that CD Projekt Red isn't really a fan of DRM.

The original Witcher had either a disc check or just no DRM at all, depending on your region (supposedly the US still had a disc check but I never needed to keep the game disc in the drive to play with my copy from day one), and they later patched any DRM that was there out.

Alright then, thanks for the clarification.

Also:

Now to justify paying $130 for the actual collectors edition...

The original and Enhanced editions had a CD-key and disc check pretty much everywhere but the recently released platinum edition included the latest patch to remove the disk check.

Justify it by saying your doing it to support an amazing company.[/quote]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or