Hackers Offer PSN Credit Cards For Sale

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Here's to hoping I don't get screwed over for using a debit card once on a no longer active account on a console I hardly ever use.

I see no reason to believe this. For the people who say "i had something charged to my account", this could have happened from anything. A virus or something could have been undetected on your system and got your information, you really wouldn't know. I won't believe this article unless there is solid proof.

I use to regret not having a PS3, but now not so much.

Grunt_Man11:

Because of a lot of speculation? People never seem to amaze me lol. This could have happened to anyone. Microsoft definitely isn't the best at security. Nobody has any reason to hack Nintendo. Hackers could get past bank security systems if they really knew what they were doing. As I said in another thread, if you know anything about Networking and Security, you know that NOTHING IS 100% SECURE!

Do we know who they are? Hasn't anybody ever heard of ass-ass-in-asian?

Who else heard the rumor that the hacker only did it because he was angry that valve made portal 2 for the Playstation 3 the best version?

Retarded rumors are funny...

This is...disquieting.

...My father is going to be PISSED if they get it.

tkioz:
I'm a little on the fence about the "buy back" on one hand it's generally not a good thing to give into criminals and there is no real guarantee that they'll keep their end of the bargain.

On the other hand, if I was one of the people with stolen personal information and credit card numbers I'd be screaming bloody murder, it's Sony's fault (to a large degree) and they need to bloody fix it. If corporations are going to keep that kind of information about us and dismiss our "silly privacy" concerns they damn well better protect it better then a nun's virginity.

Actually it would be pretty dumb of sony to buy back a copy of the records of all the psn accounts when they already have said accounts on file (unless somehow the hackers deleted all of psn users account info from sony's own database). Whats stopping the hackers from simply selling the info again?

I don't know whether this is really true or not, and I really don't care.

Getting a new card, and not taking any chances.

binvjoh:
Here's to hoping I don't get screwed over for using a debit card once on a no longer active account on a console I hardly ever use.

amen! same situation! canceeld the card associated with it but still >:(

Since I use my debit card for pretty much everything, I'm not really as worried as I would be if it was my credit card. Besides, I opened the account JUST for situations such as this one, so yeah >.> *is getting new card right this moment*

thefreeman0001:

binvjoh:

amen! same situation! canceeld the card associated with it but still >:(

Well you should be fine, then. Heading downtown tomorrow to check in with my bank.

Aw... I was hoping the guys would be the cool kind of hackers who were doing it to help us.

Now their just jack asses that should be shot.

Aw...

Haha bitches, that credit card got cancelled a month ago. Whatcha gonna do now?

They climbin in yo networks, dey snatchin yo infos up, tryina sell em so y'all need to hide yo cash, hide yo banks, change yo cards, new ID, and get a PC cause Steam ain't been hacked yet!

Sorry for stoking the fires but I really couldn't resist, sorry to hear about this incident.

Just called to get a new one once I saw the article. Sure it still isn't 100% but is it really worth the risk? So it is now cut up in the garbage.

Meh, reported mine a week ago, got a new one sent (when it was first reported someone may have possible attempted to try to break in) and put a 90 day watch on my credit report. My biggest issue atm is that my kindle broke the next day so I had to use my old man's CC for them to ship a new one.

sonys in deep shit now, not quite dead in the water territory yet but it could get their .

bombadilillo:
Call your banks people, get your cards replaced.

Imo everyone who ever bought anything online needs to be check there monies regularly. New card, change your email passwords, done.

SPREAD THIS EVERYWHERE SERIOUSLY HAVING THIS HAPPEN IS NOT FUN!!!

I don't trust anything Sony says anymore. First it was only "maintenance" then it was an attack then it was 77 million users private data was stolen.

Well... over at the gamespot article on this, they had a link to what they claim was a picture of the post. Here you go:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/dk1.jpg
If you look close enough, you'll see that one of the things the seller claims to have is e-mail passwords. How did they get the people's e-mail passwords? This is starting to look like complete bs on the part of the "seller".
Just saying...

BilboB2:
Well... over at the gamespot article on this, they had a link to what they claim was a picture of the post. Here you go:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/dk1.jpg
If you look close enough, you'll see that one of the things the seller claims to have is e-mail passwords. How did they get the people's e-mail passwords? This is starting to look like complete bs on the part of the "seller".
Just saying...

Notice how the PSN password isn't listed when we know for a fact PSN passwords were stolen. Occams Razor says the most likely thing is they meant PSN passwords, not email. Since your email is what you use to login into PSN, email password may mean PSN passwords. Just saying...

smut:
I don't trust anything Sony says anymore. First it was only "maintenance" then it was an attack then it was 77 million users private data was stolen.

the greatest irony is that lie might cost them the company if this really turns aginst them.

joebear15:
sonys in deep shit now, not quite dead in the water territory yet but it could get their .

Since when? This whole issue has attracted too much hype and it's not an isolated incident as Play.com were victims of a similar "breach of security" not too long ago. Personally I think this is excellent news as they've traced the idiots who have the balls....no wait I mean the complete lack of common sense and blurt it out.

I say track 'em down and put a police battering ram to even out some "kinks" in their front door. Then once or twice to their face in a case of "accidental police brutality" as I'm sure we all agree thieves need their heads kicked in

Do I trust that people who were smart enough to hack Sony were then foolish enough to try and sell the information over the internet a.k.a where they are most likely to be caught. No, no I do not.

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:

Since when? This whole issue has attracted too much hype and it's not an isolated incident as Play.com were victims of a similar "breach of security" not too long ago. Personally I think this is excellent news as they've traced the idiots who have the balls....no wait I mean the complete lack of common sense and blurt it out.

I say track 'em down and put a police battering ram to even out some "kinks" in their front door. Then once or twice to their face in a case of "accidental police brutality" as I'm sure we all agree thieves need their heads kicked in

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/29/homeland-security-fbi-looking-into-psn-breach/

When the Department of Homeland Security has to come in and show you how it is done... That is when you are offically in 'Deep Shit' territory.

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:

you do realize that these people are not at all like the mega cyber doushbag(in that they did not shout their names to the heavens as soon as they did this) and will probably never be found right?

edit im gona assume EVERYONE knows who the mega cyber doushbag is by now

Mr.Petey:

joebear15:

True, but if we assume that Sony aren't incompetent. (Hold with me here I know it's a stretch.) What do you think the likelihood of a bunch of the perpetrators going on a forum offering to sell the information? That's really stupid, besides the credit cards are pretty much worthless as they are hot property, no-one would seriously buy them. If any damage has been caused these guys/guy have cashed in and bought themselves a ticket to the Bahama's while Sony where scratching their heads and running round like headless chickens.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
And SONY is about to throw down with more lawyers than they knew existed.

This beautiful clusterfuck of a shitstorm is going to get someone screwed.

Hopefully the Hackers who shall be enjoying a nice lawsuit along with more if they get caught.

cocoro67:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
And SONY is about to throw down with more lawyers than they knew existed.

This beautiful clusterfuck of a shitstorm is going to get someone screwed.

Hopefully the Hackers who shall be enjoying a nice lawsuit along with more if they get caught.

The big problem is I cant see how their is going to be evidence that they committed this crime(even being caught red handed with one of the stolen cards would not be enough (would get them arrested for different crimes though)

Celtic_Kerr:

Akihiko:

farmerboy219:
hmmm...can you get a new card from your bank with different numbers and stuff without opening a new account

Just phone them up and ask them to cancel your card because you think someone might have access to your card details. They'll cancel it on the system and send you a new one.

kajinking:

Best way to avoid having someone steal your stuff is to have no stuff to steal!

OT: Can anyone confirm these reports? If they can then things just got a lot more serious. This whole mess has made me very concerned about my card security (Don't use PSN but Xbox live has my info). Anyone else here plan on using prepaid store cards a lot more in the future?

Either that or just completely removing my card off the system as soon as I use it. Was trying to remove the card on my xbox live account, but it's tied to my subscription, and so I need to phone them up to cancel the subscription so I can remove the card. -.-

I find it interesting how this fallout is also un-nerving and hitting XBOX users hard.

Not trusting SONY is one thing, but here and there, you see people losing trust in microsoft as well, just incase this happens again.

I fail to see why its strange. Really, all it proves is every service is at risk. Steam too, considering I don't think it actually offers an alternative for credit cards for payment.

TWizzle09:

Grunt_Man11:

Because of a lot of speculation? People never seem to amaze me lol. This could have happened to anyone. Microsoft definitely isn't the best at security. Nobody has any reason to hack Nintendo. Hackers could get past bank security systems if they really knew what they were doing. As I said in another thread, if you know anything about Networking and Security, you know that NOTHING IS 100% SECURE!

What speculation? Sony just got trousered and left to whimper while someone took all their valuables, and guess what. Banks and Microsoft (to my knowledge) haven't been hacked, if it was a walk in the park or even if only one in a million could do it they would! Obviously there was an error in Sony's security (and a devastating one at that) that has allowed this to occur.

The only speculation here is on your part. Yes other companies might possibly be able to be hack, we won't know for sure until someone actually succeeds. Until then the facts state Sony has fucked up and is dragging its customers down with it.

Oh my...

As far as I remember, I've never bought anything on PSN and I'm pretty sure I didn't ever enter any bank details - they aren't a requirement for creating an account, right??

On the lighter side of the news, it looks like Xbox just got a new fanboy :D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or