Steam User Finds Misogynistic "Joke" Buried in Dead Island Code [UPDATED]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

Robert Ewing:
Feminists are horrible creatures anyway. And just to show that I'm not chauvinistic. It will make you happy to know that I freaking hate chauvinists as well.

General equality is the way forward.

Sorry if I'm a bit thick, why are feminists horrible creatures?

http://evebitfirst.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/a-man-is-a-rape-supporter-if/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUM_Manifesto

Things like this.

The feminists who actually fought for something would probably hate the feminists today.

Oh, I see the trouble here. See, those are shitty feminists, who don't actually want equality between men and women. Most feminists aren't like that, and in fact most feminists hate those shitty feminists as much as you do.

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

Things like this.

The feminists who actually fought for something would probably hate the feminists today.

Oh, I see the trouble here. See, those are shitty feminists, who don't actually want equality between men and women. Most feminists aren't like that, and in fact most feminists hate those shitty feminists as much as you do.

Believing in equality between genders =/= feminist.

Anyone who labels them self with a gender specific philosophy is just as bad.

Sheesh, western people are so intolerant. So what if people on dev team hate feminists? It's their business.
IMO rabid feminists are just another bunch of idiots and make women look bad.

It's really bad in the West... Not to mention racism towards white people.

GonzoGamer:

jmarquiso:

GonzoGamer:
Wow. That means that somewhere out there, there's an overworked programmer who feels bitter towards women. That's a big surprise. Maybe he's still upset because he had to take his sister to the prom.

This.

Agreed. It was a mistake to let it get released in this state, as stuff like this gets out.

Well, it's just going to get worse. I know that the PC version of this game has received all the WTFs but now that so many consoles have HDDs and wifi, publishers have seemed to throw integrity completely out the window. They don't mind releasing a game that's completely broken as long as they can patch it later. And the sories that have been going around about this game make me wonder if they checked anything at all before sending it out.
The horror of Fallout New Vegas still lives fresh in my mind almost a year later. I couldn't play that game for 15 mins without it crashing on me. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky this game actually works.

Yeah, and Alpha Protocol which had some major issues out the gate (yay! Obsidian!), which ruined the games' sales. It is a patching culture, and digital distribution is going to make it worse.

In the case of Dead Island, this could have been controlled by management if they reviewed the code appropriately. The programmer should have been told to rename the skill at some point near release, if not as soon as it was noticed.

As an analogy - I work for television. We send people out to shoot some material that won't be able to be reshot. If a camera operator or location sound mixer makes a mistake - and they make mistakes - you can sometimes "fix it in post". But that doesn't mean that the camera operator or sound guy doesn't get some sort of warning or scolding. If the pattern continues, they get fired. I've watched shows that had had careless mistakes in them that could have been fixed at one point, but never have (a blatant example is a watermark of an effects package - which takes up the entire screen - that appears if you never register the software). These mistakes are careless and should never be delivered (not to say it doesn't happen).

While alright for a joke, this is a careless temporary name. While the majority of those who work in programming are male, it could be safe to assume no one would find this. Still, that reality is changing, and its jokes like this that may keep more women from joining the programming workforce.

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

Things like this.

Ok, I label myself a feminist, a masculinist (male feminism basically), a transgenderist and an various other -ists relating to gender.

Surely if I label myself with *all* the gender specific philosophies it's good right?

JustaGigolo:

Incorrect. The actual definition of feminism is that both genders are treated equally. This HASN'T HAPPENED YET, and females are still at a disadvantage.

TheAmazingHobo:
And this is the reason why you should always clean up your code.
Just take a couple of minutes to take out all the unnecessary whitespaces, breaks, placeholders, sexist jokes, demonic summons and threats against people who always leave the fuckning lab-door open, so everybody can just walk in and steal shit, STEVE.

Voltano:
That just sounds like a variable name--a variable that inside the code, and nowhere visible in the game when it is running at run-time. I agree that the name could be insulting to women, but are we really bickering about what a programmer/game-designer names their variables in code that is never seen by non-hackers?

Yes, we do, because obviously how we name our variables when we are bored, frustrated, annoyed and/or angry is totally an accurate way to judge us as a person.
Which is why I am OBVIOUSLY a demonic cultist and possibly dyslexic.

It's really just professionalism. Cleaning up code acknowledges that the code is used by everyone in the team, and that may include females that either are hired or will be hired. Leaving unnecessary jokes that may offend someone is just poor judgment.

Oh god the whole gender bs-debate again, its so lovely

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

Ok, I label myself a feminist, a masculinist (male feminism basically), a transgenderist and an various other -ists relating to gender.

Surely if I label myself with *all* the gender specific philosophies it's good right?

Just label all sexists as assholes, and you won't need to have all those pointless titles.

jmarquiso:

JustaGigolo:

Incorrect. The actual definition of feminism is that both genders are treated equally. This HASN'T HAPPENED YET, and females are still at a disadvantage.

Too bad it already did.

Mr.K.:
Well god damn it now even source code needs to be politically correct :P

Yes, yes it does. Is there a problem with that?

EnigmaticSevens:
Hey now people! It's not misogny, it's backstory, don't ya know! Before becoming a police officer, Purna was obviously a Hooker With a Heart of Gold and strong feminist leanings, boldly declaring her right as a woman to sell her squishy bits to whomever she pleased. She tolerated no pimp, and was fondly known by the other working girls as Mama P.

You are awesome. 'Nuff said.

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

Robert Ewing:
Feminists are horrible creatures anyway. And just to show that I'm not chauvinistic. It will make you happy to know that I freaking hate chauvinists as well.

General equality is the way forward.

Things like this.

The feminists who actually fought for something in the past would probably hate the feminists today.

Exactly. Feminists who fight for womens equality are fine by me. But hardly any feminists do these days. Because women these days have pretty much equal rights to men. But Feminists these days often push for more womens rights. Which means that women have more rights than men. This isn't the way forward, and I hate them for even trying such a thing.

Men and women should be generally equal. But feminists push for greater rights than males. And Chauvinists push for greater rights than females.

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

Just label all sexists as assholes, and you won't need to have all those pointless titles.

But it isn't just sexists. It's dealing with the inherent sexism in society. Here's where it gets kinda radical (but good radical) but here is the inherent sexism in society:
Gender specific clothing
Women not being able to serve in the army
The expectation for men to earn money
Slut-shaming
The expectation for women to care for the family
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces
and more.

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight... she has a skill... that does more damage... when she attacks men... and people are complaining about what it's named in the code more than the blatant misandry of that skill?

Seriously, if there was a male character that had a skill to do extra damage against female enemies (it could still be publicly named Gender Wars and privately named, I don't know, MisogynistAsshole or something) and people would, again, flip out on behalf of women.

Don't forget the two main male characters are portrayed as the biggest pieces of shit on the planet, whereas the female leads are given sad stories to make them more noble and heroic.

I'm just not seeing the Misogyny.

At least not in this game, plenty all over, sexism is pretty popular regardless of gender.

orangeban:

But it isn't just sexists. It's dealing with the inherent sexism in society. Here's where it gets kinda radical (but good radical) but here is the inherent sexism in society:
Gender specific clothing
Women not being able to serve in the army
The expectation for men to earn money
Slut-shaming
The expectation for women to care for the family
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces
and more.

Gender specific clothing goes both ways.
Women can serve everywhere in the Army but the foot soldiers (infantry?). Also homosexuals get a harder time in the military than women, albeit women don't get it well.
This sucks, I'm pro women ruling the world.
Mansluts were a thing in my school. We tended to call them douchebags, but the idea was the same.
I'd >love< to be a shufu. I've already raised one kid and doing the family raising is pretty fucking awesome. Gimme gimme, ladies can go hold a job, I can take care of the family.
This is sad, kids being property saddens me.

And off I go...to work...

Ladies save me!

There's a perk that allows you to seduce and do more damage to members of the opposite sex in Fallout. Just sayin.

Meanwhile back in the land where stuff that actually matters besides some stupid little joke with the coding. Dead island isn't that bad so far, nothing like the first trailer made it look but it's been the open world left 4 dead I wanted.

Someone found something offensive in a part of the game no one was supposed to see?

I don't think this should be used to knock the game. It seems like a minor issue to me.

The developers will just say it was some rogue employee who put it in (and that stuff has happened) or tell people that they forgot to remove it. Probably the first.

Feminism is just as retarded as chauvinism or any other form of sexism. Taking the piss out of them is more than deserved. Why not cry about something more interesting like the fact that piss-poor games like Dead Island are constantly being made? Or that some people SUPPORT games like these?

Seriously, if you support women's rights or men's rights instead of EQUAL rights you should jump off a bridge. Preferably a high one.

jmarquiso:

It's really just professionalism. Cleaning up code acknowledges that the code is used by everyone in the team, and that may include females that either are hired or will be hired. Leaving unnecessary jokes that may offend someone is just poor judgment.

Oh yeah, sure. I definitly believe that this makes him a shit programmer, who is either too lazy or too dumb to realize the necessity of sanitizing community code.
I just donīt believe it makes him a shit human being.

In dubio pro reo.
So I just chalk this up as a brain-fart combined with lazyness.

Skiisk:
Feminism is just as retarded as chauvinism or any other form of sexism. Taking the piss out of them is more than deserved. Why not cry about something more interesting like the fact that piss-poor games like Dead Island are constantly being made? Or that some people SUPPORT games like these?

Seriously, if you support women's rights or men's rights instead of EQUAL rights you should jump off a bridge. Preferably a high one.

Uh, you know you can support both men and womens rights at the same time? I am both a feminist and a masculinist.

Here's the thing, feminism is meant to be about equality, and for most feminists it is about equality. But the ones everyone care about and the ones that get tossed around the internet are the crazy ones so everyone thinks they are the norm (this is because normal feminists are kinda boring, seeing as pretty much everyone agrees with them.)

That...is awesome. Even if it is a joke or not you gotta admit it is funny.

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

orangeban:

Gender specific clothing Men must wear tuxedo's, women must wear dresses. Enforced by both males and females.
Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member.
The expectation for men to earn money Many women are the primary pushers of this concept, due to the cultural strength that the nuclear family concept still has in our society.
Slut-shaming This one is granted.
The expectation for women to care for the family Women are the natural child-bearers/caretakers of the two genders, and therefore have access to maternity leave where males do not. Males are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family outside of the home, whereas females are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family within the home.
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces Take a look at the above response, ties in closely.
and more.

OT: ..Really? I don't really consider this much of an issue, considering the fact that someone had to dig into the game's programming code to find it in the first place. Also, seems to fit the actual character's backstory as well.

Mountains out of molehills.

Im all for equality, title males abilities as Douchebag_machismo ability.

Feminism is also fine, until it starts encroaching on perfectly reasonable things. Feminism is the reason im can't wallpaper my room with Penny Arcade Dickwolf shirts.

Such thought is better left to Foxnews claiming The Sim satanic Green energy agendas are making our children afraid of Coal, or whatever

ShadowsofHope:

orangeban:

JustaGigolo:

Gender specific clothing Men must wear tuxedo's, women must wear dresses. Enforced by both males and females. This is still sexism though, because it enforces the idea that gender is some massive defining characteristic that overides personal preference.
Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member. Also still sexist. Discipline the soldiers better, they're meant to be professionals
The expectation for men to earn money Many women are the primary pushers of this concept, due to the cultural strength that the nuclear family concept still has in our society.[i] Well actually a lot of this is enforced by men as well. There is a real big stigma that if a men has not done well with his job he has "failed" in his duty. Also, I doubt that many women actually like the fact that men are the primary earners (and therefore women aren't as important in terms of earning) but sorta go along with it because of societal pressures.
The expectation for women to care for the family Women are the natural child-bearers/caretakers of the two genders, and therefore have access to maternity leave where males do not. Males are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family outside of the home, whereas females are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family within the home.[i] Again, arbitrarilly splitting the population based on gender, rather than personal preference. Women shouldn't be the natural child-caretakers should be the natural child-caretakers. And men should get paternity leave.
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces Take a look at the above response, ties in closely.[i] Still not right, this should be a case-by-case, individual basis for deciding this.
and more.

OT: ..Really? I don't really consider this much of an issue, considering the fact that someone had to dig into the game's programming code to find it in the first place. Also, seems to fit the actual character's backstory as well.

Right, I'm not actually sure if you're disagreeing with me, but I did edit my post on the types of sexism a bit anyway, just in case you were.

Personally, I don't see the issue. I had a friend that we affectionately referred to as "Retarded Beefcake" (he was thin and smart, the name refers to a glorious moment of Phys. Ed), and no one raised an eyebrow. I also know girls who regularly get called whores by their best friends for doing things like overdoing their makeup. I'd put my bets on it being a tasteless joke.

jmarquiso:

GonzoGamer:

jmarquiso:

This.

Agreed. It was a mistake to let it get released in this state, as stuff like this gets out.

Well, it's just going to get worse. I know that the PC version of this game has received all the WTFs but now that so many consoles have HDDs and wifi, publishers have seemed to throw integrity completely out the window. They don't mind releasing a game that's completely broken as long as they can patch it later. And the sories that have been going around about this game make me wonder if they checked anything at all before sending it out.
The horror of Fallout New Vegas still lives fresh in my mind almost a year later. I couldn't play that game for 15 mins without it crashing on me. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky this game actually works.

Yeah, and Alpha Protocol which had some major issues out the gate (yay! Obsidian!), which ruined the games' sales. It is a patching culture, and digital distribution is going to make it worse.

In the case of Dead Island, this could have been controlled by management if they reviewed the code appropriately. The programmer should have been told to rename the skill at some point near release, if not as soon as it was noticed.

As an analogy - I work for television. We send people out to shoot some material that won't be able to be reshot. If a camera operator or location sound mixer makes a mistake - and they make mistakes - you can sometimes "fix it in post". But that doesn't mean that the camera operator or sound guy doesn't get some sort of warning or scolding. If the pattern continues, they get fired. I've watched shows that had had careless mistakes in them that could have been fixed at one point, but never have (a blatant example is a watermark of an effects package - which takes up the entire screen - that appears if you never register the software). These mistakes are careless and should never be delivered (not to say it doesn't happen).

While alright for a joke, this is a careless temporary name. While the majority of those who work in programming are male, it could be safe to assume no one would find this. Still, that reality is changing, and its jokes like this that may keep more women from joining the programming workforce.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to work in TV too. It always helps to have a real sharp, hands on producer who knows what (s)he's talking about. It's probably the same with games.

Considering how talented the existing women in the gaming industry are, the people in charge should be doing their best to make sure it doesn't turn into another 'boys club' environment.

It would be a shame if we never got to play the next Portal because crap like this convinced women to go into another industry.

orangeban:

ShadowsofHope:

orangeban:

Gender specific clothing Men must wear tuxedo's, women must wear dresses. Enforced by both males and females. This is still sexism though, because it enforces the idea that gender is some massive defining characteristic that overides personal preference.
Women not being able to serve in the army Women serve in the army, just not in the front lines. Mainly due to the issue of males having a stronger protective instinct towards a woman whom is in danger/injured, and may neglect the rest of his squad for a single female member. Also still sexist. Discipline the soldiers better, they're meant to be professionals
The expectation for men to earn money Many women are the primary pushers of this concept, due to the cultural strength that the nuclear family concept still has in our society.[i] Well actually a lot of this is enforced by men as well. There is a real big stigma that if a men has not done well with his job he has "failed" in his duty. Also, I doubt that many women actually like the fact that men are the primary earners (and therefore women aren't as important in terms of earning) but sorta go along with it because of societal pressures.
The expectation for women to care for the family Women are the natural child-bearers/caretakers of the two genders, and therefore have access to maternity leave where males do not. Males are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family outside of the home, whereas females are seen to be responsible for taking care of the family within the home.[i] Again, arbitrarilly splitting the population based on gender, rather than personal preference. Women shouldn't be the natural child-caretakers should be the natural child-caretakers. And men should get paternity leave.
Women being more likely to get custody of children in divorces Take a look at the above response, ties in closely.[i] Still not right, this should be a case-by-case, individual basis for deciding this.
and more.

Right, I'm not actually sure if you're disagreeing with me, but I did edit my post on the types of sexism a bit anyway, just in case you were.

Not really, just making note that many of those examples you listed are typically perpetuated by both males and females due to cultural and societal pressures/tradtions in some way or another, not just one or the other. I agree there is a partial sexism inherent with each one, though as in the last sentence, my responses were to point out the current societal justifications for each that both genders either conscientiously and/or unconsciously promote in their daily lives.

I suppose you could call it 'lukewarm" agreement.

Well, they can kiss goodbye to 1% of their sales.

Who cares? Its in the damn CODE, not the GAMEPLAY.

I'm written functions called "HOT_ANAL_SEX", even though the function had nothing to do with anal sex...programmers get bored sometimes.

TheAmazingHobo:

jmarquiso:

Oh yeah, sure. I definitly believe that this makes him a shit programmer, who is either too lazy or too dumb to realize the necessity of sanitizing community code.
I just donīt believe it makes him a shit human being.

In dubio pro reo.
So I just chalk this up as a brain-fart combined with lazyness.

Agreed. He's just lazy, really. And it happens all the time in any job. The company is now paying the price for something that should have been taken care of, but overlooked, by management.

I would actually really laugh if it was a female programer that put this in and she was hating on the fact that Pruna is really just a representative of things that set real feminists back.

And on the fallout 3/NV perks: Its not a realistic comparison. Any character can pick those up as they like or not, where as this is a specific ability built into a pre generated character people are supposed to play as.

Oh and I love the moderation on these forums, make a comment about a general group and you get suspended/warned where as blatant personal attacks go unchecked... Real classy stuff that.

GonzoGamer:

I know exactly what you mean. I used to work in TV too. It always helps to have a real sharp, hands on producer who knows what (s)he's talking about. It's probably the same with games.

Considering how talented the existing women in the gaming industry are, the people in charge should be doing their best to make sure it doesn't turn into another 'boys club' environment.

It would be a shame if we never got to play the next Portal because crap like this convinced women to go into another industry.

Likely it'll just really lead to women having second thoughts of joining this one company.

There's also a problem of women going into math-based professions such as programming despite, on average, scoring higher in math in certified testing. They're just not culturally encouraged to do so. That's a larger problem.

ALERT: Saying a joke doesn't mean you BELIEVE a joke.

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight... she has a skill... that does more damage... when she attacks men... and people are complaining about what it's named in the code more than the blatant misandry of that skill?

Seriously, if there was a male character that had a skill to do extra damage against female enemies (it could still be publicly named Gender Wars and privately named, I don't know, MisogynistAsshole or something) and people would, again, flip out on behalf of women.

Nope.
Fallout has the lady killer perk that allows male characters to do more damage to female characters.
No one gives a shit about the actual skill, it's the misogynistic joke in the code that people are displeased about.

So what? Yeah, he's a dick if that's really his outlook, but this is hardly an issue. There are dicks everywhere doing much more dickish things than this, people need to stop flipping out over insignificant bullshit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here