EA Share Price Slides Over Old Republic Concerns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Sixcess:
fanboy bias.

The irony, it is killing me.

And oh, lookie that, second page. That must sting.

Andy Chalk:

Sixcess:
fanboy bias.

Meaning?

And oh, lookie that, second page. That must sting.

Hardly, given that the only thing that's kept this thread alive is this little dust up between us.

Here, have a bump back to the front page.

i like the game
i only got it yesterday and am still playing all the classes i find interesting to 10 but still.
i hope that the game will walk the fine line of not failing but still giving EA enough of a headache to make them think about the stance on their customers.

Andy Chalk:
First things first: let's not turn this into a "The Old Republic cures cancer/shot my dog" conversation. Some people like it, some people don't and the general consensus seems to be that while it suffers from issues of various sorts, it's certainly not the ugliest MMO launch ever. Neither I nor anyone else cares what you think about The Old Republic.

Nothing generates mature and civil conversation more than opening with "Nobody gives damn what you think". I look forward to seeing what specific aspects of future articles/news stories the user base is or is not allowed to comment on in the future. I can only hope Mr Chalk is kind enough to continue pointing it out to us because he obviously knows what the every single user of the Escapist considers interesting or valid opinions/topics.

Jahandar:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/the-force-is-with-swtor-ea-stock-bounces-back-budget-revealed/

\

I like how people are arguing over an almost 4% drop in stock which is usually fluctuation anyways. This isn't to uncommon to occur that an analysis will devalue the stock while another will argue for it.

Azuaron:

Assuming your highly optimistic guesses regarding EA making money off of TOR are correct, you still have to factor in the ongoing costs of running the game itself (servers, support, etc). Not to mention the fact that they will still be sinking money into the studio in order to generate new contest, since an MMO without new content is dead in the water once people get bored of it (and that doesn't take long).

Give TOR ~3 more months or so, and then we will probably know for sure whether or not it will sink or swim. Personally, I think it is going to sink hard. Even worse than Warhammer Online did.

No Fun Allowed: The Thread.

Seriously though; interesting to hear. This game is huge, regardless of whether it will end in success or failure. The splash is going to effect the industry, either marking EAware as the king of the MMO market or drag them down with ship.

I'm no fan of EA and Bioware as of late (or rather, their business tactics and treatment of their customers utterly disgusts me, from the smug and snide comments of their writers, all the way to their lies, strong arm tactics and invasive spyware) and so I can't help but chuckle slightly when I hear about them stumbling. I'm hoping it knocks some sense into them and shows them that their bully behavior isn't the best tactic.
More likely they'll just assume they didn't spend enough on marketing though...

(Just another wee off topic note here: I read through the thread before posting, I'm guessing I'm not the only one a little off put my the staffs bias coming through in their OPs?
If any of the staff are reading this: Your job is to report the news as is. Don't stoop to attacking your readers just because you're not happy to hear them bashing your buddies in Bioware. As someone else said, you aborted discussion in the first post. This isn't a blog, it's a forum.)

Jahandar:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/the-force-is-with-swtor-ea-stock-bounces-back-budget-revealed/

I think many people missed this really important post.

Great!
The only way EA will stop acting like Teh EVIL is if they suffer some losses.
But I really don't understand what's the fuss. So it didn't return the investment in the first month. We need to wait about a year and then we'll see if it's a faliure or not.

Off topic:

Andy Chalk:

Actually he's right. Maybe you didn't want to, but you really did come off as a whiny fanboy who is mad because a game he likes isn't universally praised.
Maybe you didn't want us to discuss about whether or not TOR is good, but infact it's financial success. There were a lot of ways to say it nicely.

I personally attribute the "not living up to expectations" to the general downfall of the Star Wars name. Couple that with the dislike people have over Origin and it's not surprising that this game isn't doing as well as expected. I don't play MMOs and I used to like the Star Wars franchise, but since the franchise started to slip, I didn't hold high hopes for the game. That, and why would I play a MMO (if I were to play one) that I have to pay $12+ a month for when I can play one for free (WoW, Runescape, Planeshift, DDO, LoTR, EverQuest II...)? If it was optional to pay for an improved account, I might try it, but paying for something I'm not sure about it too much of a gamble for newbs like me.

YOU DON'T NEED ORIGIN TO PLAY TOR! BUY A DISK AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO SEE ORIGIN ON YOUR PC.

I don't mind Origin, it works as well as if not better than Steam for me. TOR isn't even released here yet, but then again I don't get enough time to play games that any P2P game is a worthwhile indulgence. I'll play it when it goes F2P.

EA's BS alert!!!

I belive like this last Star Wars MMO, is not my favourite cup of tea, but it's not a bad game. With a little of work between the devs and the community, you can get a pretty solid thing...

Unfortenatly this project is between the almighty, corrupt and capitalist EA. So even if Old Republic is not my favourite thing in the world, i feel sorry for them, and i acctually feel afraid for it's own future...

You know what all game companies share prices do this. Seriously watch Activisions share price from when they announce a big new game till a couple of weeks after launch. You will find that as more and more people become aware of the new product the share price rises till it hits a high point a couple of weeks after launch and drops back down again. This is because game publishing companies don't generally pay out a dividend and the only way to make actual money off the shares of said company is to buy when it's low and sell when it's high. The low point is around the announcement of the new product as more people start buying those shares and create demand and the high point is just a bit after the release of the product when more people are looking to cash in on their returns and not many are buying. This is the basics of how the stock market works.

TitanAtlas:
EA's BS alert!!!

I belive like this last Star Wars MMO, is not my favourite cup of tea, but it's not a bad game. With a little of work between the devs and the community, you can get a pretty solid thing...

Unfortenatly this project is between the almighty, corrupt and capitalist EA. So even if Old Republic is not my favourite thing in the world, i feel sorry for them, and i acctually feel afraid for it's own future...

You know the last star wars mmo made was by SOE and not EA. They are two completely different games in the way they played.

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight, an MMO that got over a million subscribers in under two weeks, making it the fastest growing MMO at launch ever, isn't doing good enough? What do you want? Your computer to start laying golden eggs every time your character gains a level?

In those two weeks, sure.
That's just a trick of statistics to fool the casual observer though.
You can't just pick a small timeframe where the sales peaked particularly high and call that good statistics.
The mean between launch and now isn't nearly as impressive.

Well I can't really comment on the quality of the game or anything as I don't own it and I was unable to get a chance to play at all during the Beta test in November (server list issues and rage aplenty).I might play it if I knew if they had gametime cards for it

But aren't the launch subscribers first paying month starting around now seeing as the game was released on the 20 Dec? So...

Maybe the next guys will think twice before they assume copying the top dog, but with a budget that could block out the sun, is all it takes to make hundreds of millions overnight.

Ha. Sure they will.

I've been fairly on the fence about SWTOR, but EA is the anti-selling point for me.

If SWTOR really did look like the MMO to end all MMOs, I might give it a shot, but as a somewhat amusing, middle-of-the-road game, with decent potential... I just can't get into it. Not when I have well over a dozen other middle-of-the-road games that I bought on steam sale over the holidays :)

Ain't competition a bitch.

And like I said, EA is really what kills it for me. I just can't get behind the company responsible for the Origin fiasco AND who backs SOPA.

(p.s. yes I know you can buy a retail disk and not mess with Origin, but it's the principle of the thing)

Once again, we see people receive warnings for calling out a contributor for their unprofessional conduct. It's becoming quite a theme around these parts.

OT: Did the game perform as well as EA/BioWare would have liked? Maybe not. But considering their high standards, what would have been good enough? Considering the game hasn't been released in Australia, and that we have yet to see comprehensive data on the actual numbers involved, I'll chalk this up to normal fluctuation and wait a couple months until the numbers smooth out.

TheGauntman:
Once again, we see people receive warnings for calling out a contributor for their unprofessional conduct. It's becoming quite a theme around these parts.

OT: Did the game perform as well as EA/BioWare would have liked? Maybe not. But considering their high standards, what would have been good enough? Considering the game hasn't been released in Australia, and that we have yet to see comprehensive data on the actual numbers involved, I'll chalk this up to normal fluctuation and wait a couple months until the numbers smooth out.

Maybe if we report him the moderators will pull their heads out of their alimentary canals.

I think that the quality of the game leads directly to sales, and particularly re-subscription. Maybe asking not to discuss it was a mistake?

Having played the game now (after a month trying to get the damn thing) I can say this: It's not half bad.

Buuuut, I think that EA shareholders might have been fooled over the hype more so than the average gamer. They might have been expecting the second coming of WoW, and even Blizzard can't pull that off.

The Old Republic is like a great Summer blockbuster. Hits all the right notes, delivers entertainment, and leaves good memories (except for the arses in General chat doing the equivalent of throwing popcorn everywhere). It'll make a lot of money.

Slap Star Wars on anything and people think it will sell.

I still think people jump the gun on this, give it time, the general rule of thumb on MMO's. Its very smooth for a new launch title, especially one that was this much in demand.

I would really love to own and play this game for a month or two. But apparently half a billion dollars doesn't quantify the potential mac investment.

For the laymen, I'd also like to note that companies aren't directly affected by Share Prices.

It just means how many shares they have to issue if they seek more Capital for another big venture and how confident the market is in their company.

jp201:

TitanAtlas:
EA's BS alert!!!

You know the last star wars mmo made was by SOE and not EA. They are two completely different games in the way they played.

What made you think i believed otherwise?

Personally I'm letting my SWTOR subscription run out on February 18...

Then I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (EA game).

Then I'm playing Mass Effect 3 (EA game).

Then I'm resuming my SWTOR subscription with the game time card I've already ordered alongside my Reckoning pre-order. So as an RPG fan, the biggest problem for EA/SWTOR right now is that they're releasing competing titles.

EDIT:

I suppose I should say then that it would have been wiser if Electronic Arts had set the release date after Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, to avoid people canceling subscriptions in order to focus on those other games.

That would have also given BioWare more time to fix all the various issues their players are getting turned off by right now.

Aren't MMOs supposed to be more of a long term investment?
Just as a standard game might not be immediately profitable (say a $100 million game only sells 1.5 million on launch day at $60), they would reach profitability over the next couple months, and then DLC would be helped by the profits, as well as bringing in more money.

I imagine that a launch MMO, especially modern day, wouldn't have crazy profits in the first couple months. The initial dev support to fix launch issues/big bugs can't be cheap. As it becomes more stable and more devs move away, the upkeep would get cheaper. I imagine there'll be an expansion within one and a half to two years, which will be when it really turns profitable. Especially as subscription money comes in. They're charging people for a full game every six months. That's not to say EA shouldn't be a little worried. They only have around 1 million subs last I checked (they'll reach profitability in about 24 years with no growth). And I bet they thought the license would give them a bigger launch.

But WoW didn't have 10 million subs overnight. They have that many because they made a good game that they've supported with constant updates. I can understand why people may be worried to get accounts. I haven't tried it, because I want to wait and see how it is in a few months. The launch period is really telling of how they'll handle the game, and if they keep up support I'll be more inclined to get an account. The launch issues and lack of a trial have also probably turned off some people.
If they set up a free trial, and come out with some cool content over the next few months, they shouldn't worry too much. It's not like Star Trek Online which had very few subs and little support (did they just shut it down, or is it free to play?).
Oh, who can't wait for MechWarrior Online?

Sixcess:

Andy Chalk:
First things first: let's not turn this into a "The Old Republic cures cancer/shot my dog" conversation. Some people like it, some people don't and the general consensus seems to be that while it suffers from issues of various sorts, it's certainly not the ugliest MMO launch ever. Neither I nor anyone else cares what you think about The Old Republic.

In that case where's the discussion value in this thread?

How are we supposed to discuss this if we can't talk about why we think TOR is or isn't living up to expectations?

I think the issue is the objective financial viability of all of EA.

Not each person's personal opinion raving/raging on it.

well i'm surprised! EA usually are right on the ball with their careless attributes and greedy assumptions.

Sixcess:

Azuaron:
Let me get this straight, an MMO that got over a million subscribers in under two weeks, making it the fastest growing MMO at launch ever, isn't doing good enough?

Not if EA's expectations were that it'd launch with two million. I stress if because I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me - they've been very very ambitious with TOR. EA didn't throw this kind of money around to get a moderately successful MMO.

One million isn't really that good. Warhammer Online, an infamous flop, launched with 800,000 subscribers, and that wasn't hyped to near the level of The Old Republic.

TOR runs the real risk of being unable to live up to the unrealistically high expectations of not only its playerbase, but of its investors, and that's not a good place for it to be at.

well to be fair warhammer was doomed from the get go as it looked and felt like a straight up clone of wow(yes i know warhammer came first but WOW published first) now if their first mmo had been from the 40k universe the game might have stood a chance as it would be different(in how combat actually was portraied at the very least)

ecoho:

well to be fair warhammer was doomed from the get go as it looked and felt like a straight up clone of wow(yes i know warhammer came first but WOW published first) now if their first mmo had been from the 40k universe the game might have stood a chance as it would be different(in how combat actually was portraied at the very least)

Doesn't help that Warhammer was kinda crap on it's own merits and had no PVE server options; a design choice that will not fly outside of the Korean market.

On another note, seeing all these warnings thrown out has taught me never to engage the contributors/mods in discussion when it's on a topic they appear to be fond of.

Sylveria:

ecoho:

Doesn't help that Warhammer was kinda crap on it's own merits and had no PVE server options; a design choice that will not fly outside of the Korean market.

On another note, seeing all these warnings thrown out has taught me never to engage the contributors/mods in discussion. Huh, kinda feels like EA in here.

well not haveing pve servers didnt help them warhammer wasnt that bad a game, just not different enough from WoW and when they both cost the same you go with the one that looks better.(and wow both played better and looked better then warhammer not in graphics but in astedics)

oh and because people dont like clicking on the link ill just say what that joystick article said:

SWTOR ONLY COST 200 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so please stop saying it cost too much to make as WoW was like what? 150 million to make? and that was 10 years ago.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here