Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

the big fluffeh:
Leigh Estabrooks should be beaten to death with a bag filled with iphones.

Ironicly that punishment whould be more innovative than the iphones themselves :)

Those poll results both offend and sadden me. Where's Tesla? Where's Einstein? Where's von Braun? Well, at least Stephanie Meyer isn't on the list.

JokerboyJordan:

BlackStar42:
OK, that's just depressing. The winner is a thief who stole everything from Tesla and invented the goddamned electric chair as a marketing device. If this is for the greatest innovator of all time, why not Alan Turing or Tim Berners-Lee? I'd say what they did ranks far, far higher than making an overpriced mp3 player.

I absolutely agree with you, there are far, far, more deserving people on should be on that list.

But alas, America.

What does this have to do with America?

I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe if you asked any culture similar questions, they'd all give you totally different answers. Whats more, there would be the same complaint.

From whoever invented paper, to the printing press, to the theory of relativity, etc., "innovators" stretch across a wide range of disciplines.

I also think that hoping children are innovative in school misses the point. How about making the teachers, or better yet, their unions innovative?

Seriously? Edison? Edison stole his ideas from Tesla (among others) and was kind of an asshole.

Steve Jobs made shiny hand held lazy interactive social crap. He had people make some nice artistic works too... nothing ground breaking, just convenient breaking.

End of Line (lol, what a shit head thing to put at the end of a post!)

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
No, not just the meme, I 100% seriously I have no hope anymore if this is what the majority of that age group thinks.

Me thinking this is a troll
Sees it's a story form an actual news editor
Realizes it's a statistical opinion based study
Yeah don't trust those, especially when you ask the average person, because the average person doesn't know anything about anything.
Seriously? Thomas Edison and Steve Jobs hold over 75% of the vote? Neither of them are even that innovative. Just take others ideas.

Apparently, the man who made a good phone is more innovative than a man who invented PHONES IN GENERAL. Fuck people. Screw humanity

Mark Zuckerberg is on this list.

I take that as a statement that it is not noteworthy at all.

EDISON?! JOBS?! ZUCKERBERG?!

Glad to see Curie and Earhart so high in the charts though, considering women are so often neglected when it comes to this kind of appraisal.
Sad to see Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin isn't in there, however. Unsurprised, but still sad. I mean, uncovering which atom provided the most significant portion of the universe's makeup couldn't possibly be a significant achievement in human history, right?

Results of the poll aside, please make sure that you understand the difference between "innovator" and "inventor" before bashing the 'unwashed masses' and their education.

Thomas Edison.
Great businessman. Poor person though.
He took way too much credit than he deserved with all his shady activity.

BlackStar42:
OK, that's just depressing. The winner is a thief who stole everything from Tesla and invented the goddamned electric chair as a marketing device. If this is for the greatest innovator of all time, why not Alan Turing or Tim Berners-Lee? I'd say what they did ranks far, far higher than making an overpriced mp3 player.

This. So much this. I cannot believe this poll. The creator is an idiot and a creaton.

I'm not suprised. Our society doesn't celebrate genius and innovation. It celebrates businessmen, people who can sell themselves and whatever ideas they managed to acquire better than others. Hence why Edison is on there...

Nikola Tesla wins in that category. Steve Jobs doesn't even deserve to be on the list or at least at the bottom with Mark Zuckerberg.

This list is already wrong from the lack of Tesla.

Well, he made it so we can listen to music on the go and with more customization then ever and Marie Curie was the first to win two fucking Nobels.

Seriously, can I get a what the fuck, oh my brothers?

Dexter111:
-Smerp-

Very good point. If we are going to go modern, where are all the other open source people like Stallman or Torvalds? Or hows about the various individuals like Vint Cerf or Tim Burners-Lee, people who basically invented modern day Internet? Hell, there are scores of others that were the precursors to all of Apple's bulldink and they are now all but forgotten, now that Jobs has kicked it.

When I saw it, I thought "This smacks of young techie kids" and lo-and-behold, it the pollees are MIT kids.

No Leonardo Da Vinci????The inventor of most of the first recorded concepts of Earth-shaping technologies like the aeroplane and the automobile?

The most far ahead of his time of anyone in history got beaten by Zuckerberg, a guy who made a slightly better version of an idea that's been around since the internet went public, Jobs, who headed a company that made things more efficient and flashy, but did little in the way of inventing things himself, Bell, who made Antonio Meucci's telephone more practical, and Thomas Edison, a man who stole from, stepped on, bullied, and bought out EVERYONE he worked with, including the brilliant Nikola Tesla and Heinrich Goebel?

No to this study.
Da Vinci should at least be there.

First of all never ever trust polls, too many people who have no idea what they are talking about participate.
Second, Jobs wasn't so much an innovator as he was a good marketer. Apple Pc's are seen as trendy and cool despite being inferior to regular PC's in near every way. Also they dont support flash WTH? He made them marketable and thats what really counts in the end

The_root_of_all_evil:
Bill Gates innovated more than Steve Jobs.

And he's not even on a good top 100.

The problem with these polls, and with polls in general, is that the open endedness allows them to be riddled with what education you can pull out on what day.

What about John Logie Baird? Christopher Cockerell? Hero of Alexandria? Edwin Land? Jerome Lemelson? Adam Smith? Achimedes? Al Gore? Gerry Anderson? Ellen Ochoa? Robert Oppenheimer?

Before you even mention Charles Babbage and Alan Turing.

Karl Benz, Clarence Birdseye, Louis Braille, Louis Pasteur...

Quick Quiz: Who's the second most prolific patenter after Edison? (They're mentioned above)

Edwin Land pretty much is Steve Jobs and Woz in one person. Steve Jobs pretty much stole Land's life even down to the part were he got booted from the company he founded. I know Land had a hell of a lot of patents (from work he actually did unlike Edison), is he second in number of patents held?

No disrespect to the guy, but he has no right being anywhere near that list. He was a charismatic CEO and salesman at best, not an innovator.

Waaghpowa:
Mark Zuckerberg was on the list, it is all invalid now.

Seriously...I saw that and this whole poll automatically gets tossed out the window. Zuckerberg is on there? Come on now...

No! He stole a considerable amount of his "ideas" and most of the others were just simplified versions of existing technology. I wouldn't call that particularly innovative.

You don't have to invent something to be an innovator. Jobs defiantly proved that.

Also seriously no Tesla. He made WAY more important contributions to science than Edison ever did. Edison didn't even invent the lightbulb, he just improved the design and seemingly got all the credit.

Not to mention Edison viciously attacked and discredited Tesla, did everything to damage his reputation.

Sad that the students of MIT made no recognizable recognition of him. It's supposed to be a smart school but I guess they don't teach much history there.

Guys, this is from MSNBC. Their fanbase largely consists of Christian fundamentalists, and overly nationalistic "patriots."

When anonymous was hacking stuff, and MSNBC covered it, the users literally thought anonymous was either:
A) A master hacker a la the laughing man from "Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex."
B) The hacker branch of Al Quaeda.
C) A new small group of terrorist Muslim hackers jealous of how "great" America is.
D) Atheist heathens (they truly think all Atheists run around killing people, raping them, and hack shit)

Seriously, MSNBC has one of the worst communities of any news network. Its not the end of the world, its expected. Being surprised this came from MSNBC is like being surprised Fox News or the Daily Mail misrepresents things.

BlackStar42:

Because it isn't about the 'greatest innovator of all time' it's about the innovators who made things (or are believed by the majority to have made things) that are extremely popular. Calling an iPod an overpriced mp3 is actually demeaning what I think is one of my most used and most enjoyed devices that I have ever owned ever. That is a pretty huge thing for me and for most others as well. I only have heard of the popular innovators like everyone else. I have never heard of either of the two you offered. People shouldn't expect everyone to know information that isn't general taught at basic education levels.

Jobs might be one of the greatest marketers of all time, but I wouldn't call him particularly innovative.

This list has to be a joke? Edison in first place, followed by Steve Jobs of all people? What the fuck is wrong with people? Wait, what the hell is Zuckerberg doing there?

Wow, those are some depressing results.

Thomas Edison? The guy who wanted to power the world with direct current? Did he forget about Nikola Tesla or is he one of those dumb patriots who only counts American born inventors? Tesla found a way to utilize alternating current so that it can be used by everyone, and that is what we are still using to this day, not Edison's direct current. And yes, he ripped of Tesla. Edison was a technology killer. Most of his patents were bought or stolen. People still think he invented the light bulb. He didn't. That was Joseph Swan.

As for Steve Jobs, he does not deserve to be on any list of important innovators. He was a marketing genius, but his products suck.

Zuckeberg, really? It seems like the title of greatest innovators is given to those who earned a lot of money, not to those whose innovations changed the world. Facebook didn't change the world. With or without Facebook this world would be the same. The only thing that would be different is that Mark Zuckeberg wouldn't be rich.

JokerboyJordan:

BlackStar42:

I absolutely agree with you, there are far, far, more deserving people on should be on that list.

But alas, America.

Yeah, I didn't like it, either. I voted against it at the last AA meeting. That would be Americans Anonymous, where every single American citizen gets together to decide what we think is OK to show to the public and what isn't. I thought this list was pretty stupid, but since the majority of all Americans OK'd it, it was put on the internet. Which is why it's totally OK to blame my entire country for every single stupid little thing to come out of it's borders.

Innovation is a little much.

There were smart phones, tablets, computers around before Jobs. All he did was market them.

What has Facebook or or Apple ever done to make much of a difference? They will be as dead as Myspace sooner or later.
I would have gone with Edison because he is the only one I know that made an actual difference. I don't know about the rest of the older people on there but I have heard their names before.

What the Christ did Amelia Earhart invent; The female pilot? Positive sexism much? Where the hell is Charles Lindbergh?

They might as well put Tankman on that list. I mean, why not!?

Damn all these question marks!

XandNobody:
Jobs was this era's Tesla

I will say virtually nothing about this line, as I'd most likely get banned for whatever I say. Tesla was the God of Lightning made flesh. Jobs was [The rest of this sentence has been censored to prevent a vicious slam of the Almighty Banhammer.]

I will say, however, that Jobs was the technology industry's version of Billy Mayes. The guy was an excellent salesman and was known by millions for selling good quality products to all. All he came up with for Apple products was the minimalist design. The tech behind it was almost entirely Wozniak's doing.

What frightens me the most is that Gutenberg, the man that invented the printing press and thus inventing modern books, isn't on that list. The lack of intelligence I see on a daily basis disgusts me.

Farnsworth was right. I don't want to live on this planet anymore either.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here