BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 43 NEXT

tony2077:

anthony87:

Zeel:

And confirmation that we get all the content/dialogue related to the prothean that is relevant?

If you're talking about the information presented in the leak that's been mentioned I couldn't say. Haven't seen the leak.

tony2077:

i don't see how unless he has some hidden tech that helps

Well I doubt they'd have the Prothean in the game without some sort of plot point focused on him.

but how important will that plot it may be like the side missions from the first two where it has little or no effected on the story just some useless back story that doesn't change the outcome other then knowing more about them like the info about the collectors it just said they were prothean but didn't change anything about the way the game ended

Yeah I know, that's what I'm trying to explain to Zeel.

Huh...deja v.

anthony87:

Zeel:

anthony87:

Is the Prothean relevant to Mass Effect 3? Yes I would imagine so.

Please, continue.[quote]

And confirmation that we get all the content/dialogue related to the prothean that is relevant?

If you're talking about the information presented in the leak that's been mentioned I couldn't say. Haven't seen the leak.

We are back at square one then. Aren't we? This dlc is the epitome of how greedy EA games has become.

Edit. How greedy EA games IS.

But the Prothean is in the game regardless or whether or not you buy the DLC. Same as how Liara was in ME2 but wasn't playable without the DLC that you had to pay extra for so I just can't see what the big deal is. It's the exact same thing they done in ME2.

Liara and the prothean aren't equatable. time difference of development and all that. THe problem isn't just that it's a DLC, it's how relevant the character is.

Imagine if they did the Liara thing in me2 but at release date. "don't get to play this less you pay for a dlc of content already on the game" now multiply that. prothean lore is much more essential to the series than fucking liara and her shadow broker shenanigans. "OMG FEROS AHHHHH" please.

Zeel:

anthony87:

Zeel:

We are back at square one then. Aren't we? This dlc is the epitome of how greedy EA games has become.

But the Prothean is in the game regardless or whether or not you buy the DLC. Same as how Liara was in ME2 but wasn't playable without the DLC that you had to pay extra for so I just can't see what the big deal is. It's the exact same thing they done in ME2.

Liara and the prothean aren't equatable. time difference of development and all that. THe problem isn't just that it's a DLC, it's how relevant the character is.

Imagine if they did the Liara thing in me2 but at release date. "don't get to play this less you pay for a dlc of content already on the game" now multiply that. prothean lore is much more essential to the series than fucking liara and her shadow broker shenanigans. "OMG FEROS AHHHHH" please.

the prothean lore just explains how they got wiped out then we find out there tech was what the reapers left behind for future races to find so he's not really all that important other then an extra squad memeber

Zeel:

anthony87:

Zeel:

The lore is still there. I've yet to see a single thing that says Bioware removed plot important features unless you're willing to pay extra money. All the DLC does is give some extra content that they worked on AFTER development of the game was complete.

This discussion isn't about the Prothean being more important that Liara or vice-versa, it's about the concept of the Prothean DLC being the same as the Shadow Broker DLC i.e. take a character that's already in the story and give you a mission or two with said character.

anthony87:

tony2077:

anthony87:

Well I doubt they'd have the Prothean in the game without some sort of plot point focused on him.

but how important will that plot it may be like the side missions from the first two where it has little or no effected on the story just some useless back story that doesn't change the outcome other then knowing more about them like the info about the collectors it just said they were prothean but didn't change anything about the way the game ended

Yeah I know, that's what I'm trying to explain to Zeel.

Huh...deja v.

i love that word deja vu

anthony87:

Zeel:

anthony87:

The lore is still there. I've yet to see a single thing that says Bioware removed plot important features unless you're willing to pay extra money. All the DLC does is give some extra content that they worked on AFTER development of the game was complete.

This discussion isn't about the Prothean being more important that Liara or vice-versa, it's about the concept of the Prothean DLC being the same as the Shadow Broker DLC i.e. take a character that's already in the story and give you a mission or two with said character.

I'm not sure how much we'll see of him since its still two weeks till the game comes out. if when it comes out and zeel right I'll tell him so but till then i can't really change my stance

Zachery Gaskins:

DVS BSTrD:

Doc Theta Sigma:
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.

So they removed the whole point of having him in the game at all just to make a few extra bucks on opening day? This revelation WAs supposed to dampen my outrage HOW?

Whoa whoa whoa. You have just insisted that all of us believe that the reason for a Prothean NPC to be in the game is to be a playable squad member.

I respectfully and facepalmedly disagree.

Sure They COULD have had a Prothean in the game as an NPC and have him/her not be a squad member. He could be an ally or just part of the main storyline and that would have been fine. But the whole point of THIS character WAS to be a part of your squad, and the ONLY reason they removed that aspect of game-play was to make us pay extra to get the whole game.

Doc Theta Sigma:
Because having him as a squad mate more than likely makes sod all impact. Akin to having Zaeed or Kasumi in your squad in ME2. People are confusing the character with the squad mate.

Zaeed shipped two days after the X-box launch for FREE.

and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?

To everyone on the opposing side, would it bother you at all if everyone just got the content for the original price? Or the DLC is used to encourage New purchases?

itchcrotch:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?

What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.

GiantRaven:

itchcrotch:

What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.

They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention

itchcrotch:

hmm i think about it, therefore i must give it to them. solid logic there bro.

Zeel:
To everyone on the opposing side, would it bother you at all if everyone just got the content for the original price? Or the DLC is used to encourage New purchases?

it doesn't bother me at all since unlike other dlc this one every can get even if it does cost extra.

tony2077:

Zeel:

it doesn't bother me at all since unlike other dlc this one every can get even if it does cost extra.

That wasn't my question.
If this dlc was just like Zaeed. free with purchase, would that bother you?

Zeel:

GiantRaven:

itchcrotch:

They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"

maybe him being a squad member wasn't part of the original game they just added it with this dlc which was started after the main game was done

Zeel:

GiantRaven:

itchcrotch:

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!

Zeel:

tony2077:

Zeel:

That wasn't my question.

it was part of the network so unless you bought it you still had to pay for it so it not that different then this other then that was for both version not just the special one like this one is

Zeel:
Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"

Yeah, I definitely agree that some people are getting way to worked up over this.

It's a Collector's Edition... The entire point of Collector's Editions is extra shit. How exactly is this a problem? You can still get it just for extra and the CE was probably $10 more expensive anyway.

I still don't see the controversy behind this issue. Basically what's happened is Bioware completed Mass Effect 3 campaign well in time before launch, it then took a 3 month period to deal with the necessary tweaks.

Meanwhile while this went on, a separate team worked on DLC which was to be included free in the Collectors Edition "From Ashes." The DLC was going to contain a Prothean character, which we can safety assume isn't available as a squad member or make an appearance in the main story.

Why can we assume this? because when Zaeed was released as Day 1 DLC he didn't feature in ME2 at all until you entered the code. The same with all additional character DLC's later on, ME2 did not lose any story value without having these extra DLC's they simple extras. The game itself was complete, the same thing will happen with Mass Effect 3.

I can understand, why people are upset about Day 1 DLC but let me put it this way if this character wasn't Prothean would you still be as upset?

I simply think the issue is more about the character being Prothean than it about Day 1 DLC because the news about an extra piece of DLC for the Collectors Edition has been out for month's and no has complained. Finally those that say I'm paying $80 dollars for the Collectors Edition (in my case 80) just for just a $10 dollar Character is incorrect. Your paying for extra weapons, appearances, an Mass Effect artbook, a Darkhorse comic, the official ME3 soundtrack, a tinned case plus the new character DLC oh and a robot dog.

Llamazoid:
I still don't see the controversy behind this issue. Basically what's happened is Bioware completed Mass Effect 3 campaign well in time before launch, it then took a 3 month period to deal with the necessary tweaks.

Meanwhile while this went on, a separate team worked on DLC which was to be included free in the Collectors Edition "From Ashes." The DLC was going to contain a Prothean character, which we can safety assume isn't available as a squad member or make an appearance in the main story.

Why can we assume this? because when Zaeed was released as Day 1 DLC he didn't feature in ME2 at all until you entered the code. The same with all additional character DLC's later on, ME2 did not lose any story value without having these extra DLC's they simple extras. The game itself was complete, the same thing will happen with Mass Effect 3.

I can understand, why people are upset about Day 1 DLC but let me put it this way if this character wasn't Prothean would you still be as upset?

I simply think the issue is more about the character being Prothean than it about Day 1 DLC because the news about an extra piece of DLC for the Collectors Edition has been out for month's and no has complained. Finally those that say I'm paying $80 dollars for the Collectors Edition (in my case 80) just for just a $10 dollar Character is incorrect. Your paying for extra weapons, appearances, an Mass Effect artbook, a Darkhorse comic, the official ME3 soundtrack, a tinned case plus the new character DLC oh and a robot dog.

and if you ordered it on origin at the right time battlefield 3 which i did well i talked to there live people so i reordered it but i will get it none the less

I haven't finished ME1, nor started ME2, so I'll just wait for the inevitable GotY edition with all of the DLC for a reasonable price.

What I -do- have a problem with is significantly large DLC that has an unusually small footprint on my hard drive. An entire SC5 character (Dampierre) is the same few KB as a couple of clothing items? Sorry publishers, your on-disc "DLC" isn't fooling us. Chicanery like this makes me -less- interested in buying your game.

anthony87:

Zeel:

GiantRaven:

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!

Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script

Zeel:

tony2077:

Zeel:

That wasn't my question.

No, it would not bother me. That way everyone who buys the game new would be able to use him.

Honestly, when I pre-orderded the CE I didn't even know about an extra squad mate. I mainly pre-ordred it for the sound track, art book, and dark horse comic.

Macrobstar:

anthony87:

Zeel:

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!

Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script

The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.

laserwulf:
I haven't finished ME1, nor started ME2, so I'll just wait for the inevitable GotY edition with all of the DLC for a reasonable price.

What I -do- have a problem with is significantly large DLC that has an unusually small footprint on my hard drive. An entire SC5 character (Dampierre) is the same few KB as a couple of clothing items? Sorry publishers, your on-disc "DLC" isn't fooling us. Chicanery like this makes me -less- interested in buying your game.

I hope your enjoying ME, the first game's DLC was shabby but it's probably only around 250 Microsoft points. Your probably best holding out for a Goty Edition for ME2 unless you really want to play ME3. The difference between your scenario and this is the the Character was never on the disk.

There hasn't been any confirmation that the Prothean is in the main game, if your prove is a old script that was thrown out. That's just dumb because your going to need scripts for any additional DLC especially if their's a mission with the character and that includes drafts. Another thing I'd like to point out is that people are suggesting, that because voice work and lines have been leaked it means this character was going to be in the main plot. That is dumb, all the dialogue I've heard is merely Squad banter, and line's that refer to the extra mission.

meh. day 1 dlc is fine. online passes are not. ME3 has both. therefore... not ok. online passes are a lazy way to counter the used game market, Day 1 dlc that is completely optional is a smart way.

joshthor:
meh. day 1 dlc is fine. online passes are not. ME3 has both. therefore... not ok. online passes are a lazy way to counter the used game market, Day 1 dlc that is completely optional is a smart way.

Lazy perhaps, but what would you suggest as an alternative? Companies need to get as much revenue as they can for their next title. It's no mean feat to work around, used games, pirates and raging fans. Your right they really need to find a new way of counter these markets but until then I'm not going to begrudge a developer for using such methods. I'm happy enough to pay for what I get.

lol I like this a lot.
"It's designed to appeal to long term fans. Knowing you love our work, we'll reward you by making you spend more money on things we know you want. We're nice like that."

Sounds like BS to me.
You can defend release-day DLC however you want, but all it really comes down to is "We want more money, and by god you're going to give it to us."

You want to know the best part about this? Even if the DLC was free, chances are that the bonus character won't be nearly as intertesting as the other cast of characters and people will just dismiss him as a minor character. I've seen this song and dance a dozen times, and everybody crying "SCREW YOU EA, IF I DON'T GET BONUS CHARACTER THEN YOU CAN SHOVE IT UP YOUR-", just think about if it will really affect you or not. Yeah, people aren't getting any smarter that's for sure. I' like to see more people giving them the benifit of the doubt.

Remember when Rocksteady released Catwoman as a totally seperate download pack on release day? Why isn't Bioware allowed to do the same?

If Bioware can integrate him as a memeber of the crew who will be just as intersting then I will be impressed. If people just want to sulk about it, then I guess they can just miss out on it. Bioware won't really mind.

"Day one DLC and an Online Pass System"

Oh EA, are you actively trying to make me want to stop gaming? Its just not worth these headaches anymore. I've had to replace it as my main hobby (well except the obvious) becuase of bullshit like this, it just got to the point where everythin g i played frustrated me in one way or another. Either it has some kind of horrible DRM, is a bad port, Uses GFWL (i.e. does not function AT ALL), is a 3 hour mass market clone or has insane pay-walls for multiplyer and nickle's and dimes you for content like this.

How is this acceptable? You fucking peons calling us "Entitled". Do you not remember how gaming was just 5 or 6 years ago? Extra content like maps and such use to be a coutesy from developers as post-launch support. Now we are treated like a developer has come down from heaven to save us if we get so much as a patch.

I'm going to chime in here. Casey Hudson isn't saying the Collector's Edition was made just for the loyal fans, but that it was made with loyal fans in mind. To me this says that Bioware have understood many people, especially those new to the series, are likely to go "Extra 30 for the collector's edition? Nah." Let's be realistic here, only hardcore fans (like me) are going to salivate over a lithograph and an art book, I can't see those new to the series having the same reaction.

As sucky as first day DLC is, I do empathise with everyone who isn't getting the Collector's Edition, but gaming companies are starting to take to this practice lately because of... *drum roll* the economy!

Seriously, I checked this up, having day 1 DLC that's made between the game being finished and the game being certified (two entirely different things), working on extra DLC keeps the team working on the game in a job until they have a new project. Now for all those who are either too young to appreciate money or lucky enough to have clung onto your jobs, finding yourself out of work suddenly sucks. If I had the choice of paying an extra 10 to keep the team who's made the greatest game trilogy of all time (my opinion, I don't care if people disagree) in work and making more, or boycotting a game out of spite and damaging the department, I'm handing over my cash.

Honestly guys, look at the bigger picture here. Is your OPTIONAL 10 in cash worth more than someone else's job?

EDIT: P.S. I just want to point out I harbour no love for EA before someone says it.

Nicolaus99:
This is your face. This is EA d_ckslapping your face. "/slap Mm, yea. That's good. /slap You like that don't you. Now push it around with your..."

Fight the hype, prove that you are humans worthy of respect and not sheeple. Refuse to buy until the final whatever edition comes out. You know, the one with the actual finished product in the box.

Respect yourself. Don't buy this.

The irony is that by using the term "sheeple", you yourself are being a sheep. Why not formulate your own opinion instead of just jumping on a bandwagon?

Seriously, fuck this.

I did not become a gamer so that shit like this could become the industry norm. I remember going out and buying games for my PSX, and getting the complete fucking game.

For anyone not bothered: this is a fucking Prothean. This is a character who is integral to the story and lore of the Mass Effect universe.

Do you honestly, really believe that Bioware only started working on this for the last 3 months? That they finished development on the campaign, then thought to themselves "You know what would be really good to start working on now? Getting a Prothean into the game."

Lore stuff like that isn't (or at least shouldn't) be approached lightly. If Bioware were planning on including a Prothean in the game, you can bet they had that worked out at the earliest stages of development. The very idea that they decided to simply throw in a game-changing bit of lore as a throwaway development idea in the last 3 months is ludicrous. It would be like Valve deciding to develop a bit of DLC explaining the G-Man's origins as a bit of Day 1 DLC for Half Life 3.

This shit should't fly! The number of people willing to bend themselves over and get shafted in the arse simply because it's Mass Effect/Bioware is staggering. People like you are what's ruining gaming for the rest of us. The publishers are looking for every excuse to nickel and dime us to death, and you're willingly allowing them to do it to you. Have some common damn self-respect. You don't need this game. If Bioware have decided to shake you down for your money, don't take it smiling. Stand up for yourself. Tell them that this won't stand. And if it means you have to pass up on ME3, then fair enough. By the sounds of it, passing up on this game will end up saving you a lot of money.

The minute you let publishers get away with this sort of crap, you give them carte blanche to do it again and again. If we allow EA to get away with nickel-and-diming the story and lore of Mass Effect, they'll think they can get away with it in all their other games too. I do not want to be part of an industry where every game requires endless extra payments to unlock the full game. If your parents buy all your games for you then perhaps I can see why you'd be ignorant of the repercussions of such design choices, but speaking as someone working only a little above minimum wage, I simply do not earn enough to be able to buy all the downloadable extras and hacked up chunks of story that developers seem intent on throwing out now. I should not be forced to miss out on key story and game content, simply because I was unable to pay the extra 10-20 that some other, wealthier people were. It creates an industry which inherently favours those with more disposable income, and I don't like the idea of class-politics becoming a part of gaming.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 43 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here