BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

The only problem I have with this is that she doesn't look alien. Especially the hands, from someone with chicken legs you'd expect they wouldn't be exactly human either.

ManThatYouFear:
I think your all been spoilt little kids to be fair, yes it's lazy but in the end its only a face.

Yes, it is only a face; the face of a mystery that has been important to fans since the first game. Trying to say that Tali's face never had any importance leads me to believe you have no idea why people liked Mass Effect's story or it's characters. It's a pretty big deal when a multi-million dollar company can't be bothered to do anything but grab a random photo online and photoshop it for what looks like 10 minutes.

If this had been some random background character that no one gave two craps about, that would have still been lazy, but no one would have genuinely cared. That wasn't the case, however. It's usually a bad sign when people know fanfics with more effort put in then the products we are all paying good money for. This is just disgusting.

ManThatYouFear:

No matter HOW bioware went round to attack this issue, no matter HOW they designed her, how original and unique she was you would be BITCHING AND MOANING, and you know this to be true.

Had she just had a bad design, it would have then been a matter of opinion with her looks being a travesty. Unfortunately, they didn't give her any design. Retouching a photo =/= design. That's the level of awful we're dealing with here.

"I don't care and don't think this is a big deal, therefore anyone else who disagrees and thinks this is a big deal is a entitled crybaby fanboy. Give me a moment to show how little I care about this subject by commenting just to insult everyone who did actully care since this is the mature and considerate thing to do when someone has a difference of opinion."

Really though, this is just lazy. I mean, if this was some small studio in their first installment or something then sure but.......

This is BIOWARE. If they want people to fork out £40 full price for their AAA game then they better make it AAA. Wasn't the whole point of AAA games that they had big budgets so that everything was top quality?
Even some indie studio probably wouldn't do this! Even they would actully try and design a character!

Im really glad I decided not to get ME3, I had a feeling they were going to dissapoint and to see them put this little effort into it........-_-
What the hell? This is not a AAA game.

The Random One:

almostgold:

Fr]anc[is:

You have a table reserved at your favorite restaurant, it makes all sorts of delicious meals that you love. You've been waiting all week to go because the workweek was awful and your coworkers can't stop bitching about EA. You finally arrive, sit down and order something delicious. Your cook then completely forgets about your order, and 45 minutes later throws a TV dinner in the microwave, and that is what is served to you. That's why people are upset.

Bold part made me laugh.

Let's imagine that stock photo didn't exist though, but Tali's in-game photo was still the same. Nothing has changed. The experience of playing the game is in no way different, but presumably fans wouldn't get mad.

You're talking about a fan base that gets angry at one day DLC. Because they have to pay to have the 'full' version of a game. One article (article! not a post, not a comment, an actual page on the internet, linked to a unique URL and everything) said that a version of ME3 without the DLC was 'obsolete'. Someone even mentioned that EA should have waited a month before releasing the DLC, as if themselves waiting a fucking month before buying the DLC was completely out of the question.

I just don't want to pay nearly $1,000 dollars for a complete game is all. You would think with that level of DLC they would have been able to hire an actress to play a character who would at least pose indoors. (I don't understand how tali is outside in the sunlight O.o)

http://kotaku.com/5888816/buying-all-of-mass-effect-3s-dlc-will-cost-you-870

On a slightly lighter note, here's a video that made the whole thing worth it in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIzzCIQAm7Y

(embedding - how does it work!?)

Lazy on their part? Sure. I don't mind that much though.
I always knew Tali had to be pretty and in my opinion, (even though the photo is just edited) she is.

Also, a million dammits for the spoiler I just saw to compare the photos >:I

Awww is your precious virtual waifu not up to the image hastily scrawled onto your love pillow? It's probably better this way, why bother crafting the look of a character from scratch when a shitstorm will come either way? (These are biotards after all, not haters or fan boys, just whiny, whiny bitches) slap a face on it, call it a day and let the over entitled man-children squabble in the dirt like they were always going to do.

Seems Bioware are getting the Tall Poppy treatment, not surprising really. I wonder which company will be getting the next round of petty, insignificant problems comically ballooned into selling their soul, hating their fans yadda etc?

Bioware, seriously, you gotta trim your fan herd a little. Few drops of something special in the water mains ought to do the trick. Just put a sign up next to the taps saying "Garrus was a girl all along" that'll get the "special cases" swarming in a heartbeat.

Oh god why did I click on the spoiler warning thinking it would only be the images and not a huge plot spoiler?! I feel like such a fool. That'll learn me.

Don't really care about if she looked liked I thought she would or not(I imagined her pretty close to this actually), I am just upset Bioware didn't sit down and actually create her. Instead of using an easy way out.

But oh well, Tali still looks beautiful I suppose. Shan't complain.

Aisaku:

Oro44:
Eh. Shepard is based off of Mark Vanderloo, Miranda is Yvonne Strahovsky, Liara is Jillian Murray, now Tali is....whoever the hell that is. No skin off my ass.

Liz Sroka.

This is what I thought Tali should look like... http://fav.me/d2zcbd0 I guess it's not that bad, and in line with 'using real people to come up with character's faces'... Wonder who was the inspiration of Kasumi and Zaeed.

But the other, lazy, and blatant ripoffs... it's really really cheap of them. Is this the sign of Bioware not caring anymore? Or is it because they've been spread too thin due to SWTOR?

The weird thing is, is that the rendered face underneath in-game Tali's mask has the same exact facial structure of Liz Sroka.

So yeah, why they didn't use a picture of her (or even that picture) is beyond me.

But all in all, even with Tali as my favorite character in the series, this doesn't bother me.

Sure it's lazy, but having a canon quarian face overshadows the laziness for me tenfold. (same with a lot of my issues with the game. Every time something annoys me, something amazing happens that makes me forget it.)

Besides, when its drawn, it looks pretty good to me.

Abedeus:

NKRevan:

Abedeus:

I'm tempted to find some good meme to type this, but w/e.

"So you just played through 3 games, getting attached to one of the most important friends the main character has made during the time we played those games. Quarian physiology was a huge unknown, an enigma and a mystery. They should've either kept it as it, and honor the thing they did in ME2 with Tali romance, or FUCKING TRIED. I don't really care that they used a stock picture, but it does mean they are lazy fuckers that would rather waste money sending shit into space than spend few hours working on concept art of their own.

We can't all be blind or paid morons, like the Bioware "defenders" as yourself.

Hey, this insulting thing is fun!

Okay, now imagine this - they suddenly reveal that, let's say, Batman is a transgender. Or that Spiderman has transformed teeth into spider fangs. Doesn't change what the character does or his history, but it does leave a LOT to discuss from angry fans. People that didn't care about the character then, won't care later. And something tells me you simply shouldn't talk about things you don't care about.

I guess the fact that Miranda, standard male Shep and many other characters in the game are based on already existing models is something that already upsets you, yes?

I agree though, they should have kept Tali's face hidden. Cuz, as usual, this is a no win situation. Regardless of what they had done, people would have complained and bitched.

Stupid to cave to all the fans who demanded a Tali face reveal.

I don't give a shit about Miranda, and I never use custom faces for Shepard anyway.

Tali's face was a huge unknown. Shepard and Miranda were human - we all know how humans look, at least those without some horrible degenerate diseases. We don't know how QUARIANS look. And suddenly we are hit with a hot chick from stock photo on a beach or something (Tali herself said that "it will take a few years, but we'll be able to take off our masks" - that wasn't even few weeks in-game time, and that's even if you make the correct choices), with lush hair (why do quarians even have hair? hair has no purpose when your suit does all the things for you, for several generations, just like immune systems) and just few tattoos/quick photoshop modifications. Bad modifications, that looked like they took a random kid from street, gave him Photoshop 5 and told him to make her look like an alien.

You do realize you are only proving my point, right?

They could have done whatever, people would have bitched about it.

Like I said, they should have never ccaved to the friggin Talimancers who demanded a face reveal.

I think the anger from fans is justified in this case. They denied you the chance to see her face in ME 2, and people were mad about that enough as it was.

Can you imagine if they did the same to Master Chief? Masked characters should stay masked... or they should at least be original, imo.

That's pretty disappointing. I could never understand the Talimancer types, but it seems openly disrespectful to encourage all that interest in Tali's face over the course of several years, and then do a 10 minute photoshop on a stock photo. Still, as long as they put proper effort into Tali's in-game character (haven't played it yet), I'll be okay with it.

Daystar Clarion:
A shit storm is a coming.

Okay people, come with me if you want to live, I have a bunker.

Honestly? This doesn't really bother me. It isn't going to lessen my experience of the game and I quite like the picture. What does it matter whether it's made from scratch or not?

Well, unless you're a Talimancer of course, but then you've got more things to worry about.

Make room for me!!! Make room for me!!!

OT: I'm a Talimancer, and... this really doesn't bother me too much. Do I think there should never have been a reveal at all? Yeah. Do I wonder how they got this picture taken without her suit in what it clearly the outdoors? Yeah. Do I think a reveal of a stock photo is good enough for her? No.

But here's the thing. I already knew from the moment I finally romanced her that no reveal, no matter how good or bad, would be good enough. So I promised myself that whatever happens, I wouldn't let it ruin the romance plot with her and the experience I was having in the game. And this... this is just nothing to me. This is just a photo. It doesn't change anything.

1. Developers and artist use stock photos all the time.
2. Nobody will ever be content with the "official" Tali face, because they always imagined something else, or found some favourite fan art they thought looked sexy.

Tbh. they should have just avoided her face completely. I mean, can you imagine what would happen if Valve were to suddenly give Gordon a voice in HL(Ep)3?

Yeah, I just looked at the spoiler, you could have just posted the fucking picture without the caption. Nice job.

First off, I'm not a Mass Effect fan, I have not played any of the games. I know some terms and some basic info.

And that picture still bothers me. They should have artists who can draw a decent picture in the amount of time that was edited. Or maybe used some of the concept art posted earlier in this thread. Or, if there simply was no time, pick a picture that fits and edit it proper.

Instead, they picked an impossible picture and edited it poorly. And someone was paid to do that.

Sandytimeman:

The Random One:

almostgold:

Bold part made me laugh.

Let's imagine that stock photo didn't exist though, but Tali's in-game photo was still the same. Nothing has changed. The experience of playing the game is in no way different, but presumably fans wouldn't get mad.

You're talking about a fan base that gets angry at one day DLC. Because they have to pay to have the 'full' version of a game. One article (article! not a post, not a comment, an actual page on the internet, linked to a unique URL and everything) said that a version of ME3 without the DLC was 'obsolete'. Someone even mentioned that EA should have waited a month before releasing the DLC, as if themselves waiting a fucking month before buying the DLC was completely out of the question.

I just don't want to pay nearly $1,000 dollars for a complete game is all. You would think with that level of DLC they would have been able to hire an actress to play a character who would at least pose indoors. (I don't understand how tali is outside in the sunlight O.o)

http://kotaku.com/5888816/buying-all-of-mass-effect-3s-dlc-will-cost-you-870

Notice how they count the same preorder bonus multiple times. (If you REALLY wanted the Collector Rifle, you could get it for $25~. But they're counting it as like $300.) Also, most of those are just single (incredibly shitty) weapons.

Elmoth:

Bara_no_Hime:
I mean, people have been circulating a DIFFERENT fake Tali's face image made with a real person's face in photoshop for years. A few people on this site even use it as an Avatar. Why is that one cool, but this one is hated?

Yes because finally showing a mysterious character's face after years is just as important as a forum avatar.

... because Tali's face is important. /sarcasm

I mean, we have been able to see the outline of her face since ME2 - we knew she looked basically human. It is nice to know she has hair.

Anyway, now the fan artists are justified and have some guidelines.

To be clear - I don't particularly LIKE the photo of Tali in the game. But is it important? Not really. I never intend to see that event anyway - except perhaps on You Tube.

Honestly, what annoys me more is that Tali is still non-romancable to FemShep. Not because she isn't interested, but because you can only 'renew' with Tali, and she wasn't available to FemShep in ME2 due to previous Bullshit. **sigh**

Hey guys,

Sorry about the spoiler. I don't know how clearer I could have made it by stating that there were spoilers in the image, but I understand the frustration. I have edited out the caption so hopefully this won't happen to more people.

I wish I had thought of that yesterday. Sorry again.

Greg

It was a lame cop out for something that deserved more attention. It's really like they didn't care. The image itself is actually quite awful, but not even bothering to render her in 3D only makes things worse. This was the subject of debate for years, and their answer was an anticlimactic badly photoshopped stock image?

I'm not even mad myself, but as a game developer that watches it's own community (right down to gathering info on players actions from the game itself) they should have know better.

I just can't fathom how such a big IP got such shabby treatment. I get cutting corners, but good grief.

I like the look of this Tali, so I am happy. Shit, I liked the personality of Tali before even considering what she looked like. Character matters, not looks. That minimizes my input into this situation, but rest assured, a month from now, gamers will move on to better things...

...or they will continue to vent their frustration at BioWare for each game they create, like some ex-lover who attempts to ruin any chance of future happiness with another person...game...whatever.

Eh!?!
This is not game changing in any way. Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a well crafted story and using stock photos to create something else is not a bad thing. We all need inspiration.

Oh you have got to be friggin' kidding me....

Seriously?

Seriously.

They thought this was a passable effort?

Not cool Bioware...

Im more bothered by the fact that for the hand, they shopped out the bottom two fingers. Does anybody looking at that thinks that looks alright? Good God, it looks like she got those two fingers cut off in some horrible accedent.

I think I would have prefered her to stay masked if that is the best they could come up with, though.

And I was one of the guys that wanted her to be demasked...

*Edit*

Actually, Im more or less fine with the image, save the hand. se my avobe statement...

What bothers me is the use of the stock photo, it doesn't look bad but it looks very human to me. I was hoping the quarians would be a little more alien to be honest. Plus given the games budget I'm surprised they used a stock photo and 20 minutes in photoshop to throw together a picture of a rather major character. Still over all I'd rate this as a lower fiasco than the whole DLC thing. That prothean adds so much to the game. Oh and not being able to buy it on steam, WTF EA.

Roganzar:
Eh!?!
This is not game changing in any way. Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a well crafted story and using stock photos to create something else is not a bad thing. We all need inspiration.

They spend hundreds of dollars to launch several copies of the game that make a handful of people will find (if they don't fall into the ocean), but when it comes to unveiling a race of previously permanently veiled aliens, they take some random kid off the street, $15 photo and half an hour in photoshop later they put this piece of crap in an AAA game.

And you expect us to be happy? Bioware isn't a God damn indie developer, it's a massive and probably one of the oldest active developers on the scene.

Trust me, when these fans get to the ending of the game, they'll have something WORTHWHILE to rage about. Compared to the endings, the Tali controversy is negligible and will be quickly forgotten.

But those endings.... WOW. I think the official Bioware poll has it at 96% of nearly 3,000 polled hate the endings.

Waaghpowa:
I'm not going to get enraged about this, but it all comes off as somewhat suspicious. I just can't tell if it was intentionally done or laziness.

I've heard it was intentional actually, but sorry if someone already mentioned this to you :P

Is it me, or does the photo of Tali look genuinely creepy. I mean, why is it looking into my soul like that..?

Witty Name Here:
It just sort of feels lazy, they've been teasing fans with "What does Tali look like?" with things such as Polls and making sure her face is constantly hidden and when they finally decide to show us, they take a lazy route. I understand that it's cheaper, but really, you might as well have kept us in the dark about her face instead of just doing a poor photoshop over another person's picture.

I mean, honestly, would it really be that hard to hire someone from DeviantArt to do the picture (even if you couldn't make a separate model for her without her mask) they can do something a thousand times better then... That.

I mean, when you have something like this...

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&q=Tali#/d3hetly

or this

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Tali&order=9&offset=48#/d4rg5l0

Hell, especially this.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Tali&order=9&offset=24#/d3atepj

That photoshop just looks plain ridiculous, like something you'd expect to see on a youtube video titled "Famous people who are secretly aliens". It looks like there was just NO time and NO effort being put into that photo.

EDIT: I'm not even sure if price can be used as an excuse in this situation. Most of the artists may even have been willing to do it for free as fans of the series (especially since it gets their artwork out their for millions to see)

any of those pictures would have been soooo much better, it blows my mind that DA can upstage a AAA developer so much.

it would seem bioware has finally started caring as little about quality and creativity as its fans. a picture is a very minor thing, but leave it to bioware to put it in the worst, most offensively uncaring context imaginable.

why did it have to specifically be tali? if your going to just photoshop a virtually random photo, why just have it be of "a" quarian, so we would know what they look like, instead of the MAJOR CHARACTER WHOSE APPEARANCE WAS THE SUBJECT OF THOUSANDS OF FORUM THREADS AND YOUR OWN POLL.

this is kind of like the phantom menace. under normal circumstances you could just write it off as a below average sci-fi flick, but circumstances were far from normal. given the immense cultural impact of star wars and how everything that was loved about it was so obvious by that point, you had every right to look at that "meh" movie and be fucking disgusted at how little they considered the circumstance.

im sorry, but context matters. you cant praise something for all the good in it in whatever way you please, then when it comes to flaws suddenly start treating it like a laboratory experiment isolated from all other factors. bioware knew how delicate the revelation would be, anyone who fucking took an english lit. class would know that. yet instead of treating it appropriately, they just fucking shopped a stock image. the most pervasive mystery of the whole fucking series is answered with a fucking stock image. if that doesnt offend you, then you are a doormat.

christ, this whole series has become a bad fanfic of itself. theyve pandered to their fans so much that all that remains is the zealots and the unpleasable trolls.

The only thing that bugs me about this picture of her is, why was it taken? I haven't played the game yet, so maybe the reason for the picture is explained, but she is clearly outside without her suit on. Why would a Quarian risk their life to remove their suit, just to get a picture of themselves?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here