Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

Que Dwight

FALSE!

They are not allowed to tie 2 messages together as if it was their charity, forcing the owners of said charity to answer for messages that they did not make.

They can still donate to charity. Just not say "Donate to charity to get the the ending changed"

I don't think anyone said that, it was actually:

'Show how much you didn't like it by donating to charity.'

Those evil fiends how dare they!

Yeah I mean there was no double message....

I mean its not like Child's play was bombarded with mails from people asking questions like "will we get the ending changed if we hit our goal" or just people wanting their money back when once they learned it wouldn't get them a new ending.

Yeah that didn't happen...

It wasn't as if the vague message of "retake Mass effect" was used to its full extent by a small group of people who never actually owned it to begin with.

Yeah.... they are the victims here...

I personally haven't seen any proof that those things happened yet and frankly if you think that the Retake Mass Effect guys were doing something intentionally bad by encouraging donations to children then I don't know what to say.

The whole thing has been ridiculous. Even the first reaction of the guy I originally quoted was 'Why not give it to charity?' that's exactly the thought that the Retake Mass Effect guys had. They chose Child's Play because it's the obvious gamers choice.

I think they chose a bad name for their 'movement' but I think their intentions were good at the end of the day.

While I find the concept quite funny, is this not a form of negative reinforcement? While they may get the reason behind the cupcakes, the fact remains that they are getting cupcakes and what is to stop them from logically thinking that if they keep making these issues in a game, that causes a lot of distress from the fans of the series, what are the odds that they will get rewarded again with something else similar to this?
I have not finished ME3 yet so I have no opinion on the controversy.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

I mean its not like Child's play was bombarded with mails from people asking questions like "will we get the ending changed if we hit our goal" or just people wanting their money back when once they learned it wouldn't get them a new ending.

It wasn't as if the vague message of "retake Mass effect" was used to its full extent by a small group of people who never actually owned it to begin with.

I personally haven't seen any proof that those things happened yet and frankly if you think that the Retake Mass Effect guys were doing something intentionally bad by encouraging donations to children then I don't know what to say.

The whole thing has been ridiculous. Even the first reaction of the guy I originally quoted was 'Why not give it to charity?' that's exactly the thought that the Retake Mass Effect guys had. They chose Child's Play because it's the obvious gamers choice.

I think they chose a bad name for their 'movement' but I think their intentions were good at the end of the day.

Oh yeah their intentions were good.
Thou misguided by a false sense of ownership so many fanboys seem to have. But they had good intentions. The people who want video games banned have good intentions. These guyes doesn't want the ending banned, just want it changed to fit their vision.

Doesn't make their actions any less stupid or the problems Child's Play got because of them any less real.

Okay, this is certainly an interesting way to go about that.
I disagree with the goal, but I respect the way they are trying to achieve it.
I wish more people would object to things in an interesting way like this.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Penny Arcade said people were confused and assumed that their donations were actually buying them a new ending. People even asked what goal they needed to reach. And, most disturbingly, he also says that PayPal was receiving a high number of requests from people demanding their donations back. The intentions may have been good, but attaching a charity to their cause was just too confusing for people.

Well, I guess if you're going to be ineffectual, you can at least be delicious. So it's vanilla. It's still free.

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

Oh yeah their intentions were good.
Thou misguided by a false sense of ownership so many fanboys seem to have. But they had good intentions. The people who want video games banned have good intentions. These guyes doesn't want the ending banned, just want it changed to fit their vision.

Doesn't make their actions any less stupid or the problems Child's Play got because of them any less real.

Yeah Child's Play got $80.000 because of them...how terrible.

The endings were bad or lackluster, pretty much everyone who played the game agrees on that. Most people want the endings to be less vague. They don't even know what happened to the characters they have spent 5 years getting to know.

Having an opinion isn't stupid and most people are complaining because they love the series so much.

We wouldn't have the classic 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' if it wasn't for Arthur Conan Doyle's fans complaining about Sherlock Holmes getting killed off for example.

Listening to consumer feedback isn't a bad thing, when you don't listen you get what happened to Sonic the Hedgehog... Sonic Team have spent the last twenty years with their fingers in their ears going lalalalala and as a result have made their franchise a complete joke to most people. Only recently have they started listening and going back to what made Sonic great like Colours and Generations.

It would have been better if each cupcake had a small paper note buried in it that read: "The cake was a lie after all."

like fortune cookies.

Otherwise all you've done is give them dessert.

Wow, what a massive waste of money...

Pretty cool though. If I make a contraversial ending to a long running series, you better send me 400 cupcakes. (Not vanilla though...)

What about sending them Angry Birds (like 400 Gooses)... but for real.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Yeah Child's Play got $80.000 because of them...how terrible.

That they could still have donated without the second message. They added the "Retake ME" and made a shitton of trouble childs play. If they couldn't have donated that without the message then you seem to have realised that there was a second message there, and they should just have set that up as its own cause. Except that would show that it is really a fund raiser for a completely absurd message.

It is fun how attaching a good cause to a less good cause gets you credibility.

xXxJessicaxXx:

The endings were bad or lackluster, pretty much everyone who played the game agrees on that. Most people want the endings to be less vague. They don't even know what happened to the characters they have spent 5 years getting to know.

Having an opinion isn't stupid and most people are complaining because they love the series so much.

We wouldn't have the classic 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' if it wasn't for Arthur Conan Doyle's fans complaining about Sherlock Holmes getting killed off for example.

Listening to consumer feedback isn't a bad thing, when you don't listen you get what happened to Sonic the Hedgehog... Sonic Team have spent the last twenty years with their fingers in their ears going lalalalala and as a result have made their franchise a complete joke to most people. Only recently have they started listening and going back to what made Sonic great like Colours and Generations.

Yeah you go do feedback then.
This isn't feedback. This is obsessive, possessive behaviour.

It doesn't matter what quality the games are. Just drop that as an argument. People have made it very clear the ending is bad and why. You still dont get to force them to change it. Nor do I believe you should have it. And dont try to say "We are just giving feedback". This is far beyond the point of feedback. I could list off the mad behaviour people have done over this. Dragging a charity through the muck not even being the worst on the list.

Its fun every time I see you say "they love the series so much" this is what pops into my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OlolbLXvw

PrinceOfShapeir:
No, no. You send -good- cupcakes to everyone on the Mass Effect team except that shithead Casey Hudson and the head writer I can't even remember. They get iced turds for running off into a corner with the ending and defecating on it, then trying to defend it by saying its 'highbrow' and 'artistic'. God damn shitheads.

Hmmm. You put no less then 4 references to poop in your post....I imagine something has you upset.

Perhaps you would have more luck in getting your message across if you made a chocolate cupcake that was made to look like poop, with a little note next to it that says, "I know it will taste good, but why don't you try and eat something that looks like this shit!?"

This idea is at least better than try to get the FCC involved... And it's rather unusual and tasty way..

Hmmm now how do I do so I get 400 free cupcakes and get them to change it from vanilla... ;)

Let us show our hate for a half-assed product by sending the producers cupcakes. That'll learn 'em not to make us angry.

Draech:
snip

I haven't seen one person being threatening or aggressive over this I wouldn't say its obsessive possessive behavior.

A lot of people just seem to want to make the fans out as bad guys when all they are doing is giving their feedback about something that they disliked. They are giving Bioware their opinion. The fact that there are so many people who are complaining makes it look like browbeating.

If anything it's the people who are complaining about the fans that are being insulting and nasty. How did they 'drag a charity through the muck' exactly? They did no such thing. They stated what the intent of the movement was if people misunderstand that it's not exactly their fault.

Comparing it to Misery is certainly going too far.

If people didn't care or like Mass Effect there is no way they would put this much effort into getting the ending clarified.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:
snip

I haven't seen one person being threatening or aggressive over this I wouldn't say its obsessive possessive behavior.

A lot of people just seem to want to make the fans out as bad guys when all they are doing is giving their feedback about something that they disliked. They are giving Bioware their opinion. The fact that there are so many people who are complaining makes it look like browbeating.

If anything it's the people who are complaining about the fans that are being insulting and nasty. How did they 'drag a charity through the muck' exactly? They did no such thing. They stated what the intent of the movement was if people misunderstand that it's not exactly their fault.

If people didn't care or like Mass Effect there is no way they would put this much effort into getting the ending clarified.

take a look back at some of the comments in this thread.

Some suggest some different tastes to send them....

Then when I tell you that reddit actively celebrated harassing live support staff?
Take a look around.
But yeah it is just feedback....

And yeah they did drag a charity through the muck. They attached a selfish message to it in the hopes of getting credibility. That is exactly what they did. That is not something you misunderstand.

Who organized this protest? Pinkie Pie?

I have to say, delicious confections is a much better way of expressing displeasure then violence. It certainly gets the message across but is much less aggressive and spiteful (so long as no one added laxatives to them or anything.)

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:
snip

Then when I tell you that reddit actively celebrated harassing live support staff?
Take a look around.

People make jokes all the time, I said in the Critical Miss thread that Skyrim saves were more important than saving your gf from having an xbox thrown in her face. I didn't mean it literally.

This whole thing has been turned into a mire by people misconstruing the fans actions and when they do something fun like with the cupcakes people say it's stupid and they should give it to charity, an act they have already been vilified for.

They didn't attached Child's Play to get credibility they did it to channel their disappointment into something good. How can you be so cynical?

This is gonna be one of those things you never forget. I don't mean the cupcakes. I mean how much whining little children the people are acting like. If you REALLY enjoyed the games all the way to the end of the third and hated the ending so what? It's about the journey you made getting there and not what happens when you get there. Plus. When I get cupcakes no matter what the message the only thing I think is "Fuck yeah, Cupcakes."

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Take a look around.

People make jokes all the time, I said in the Critical Miss thread that Skyrim saves were more important than saving your gf from having an xbox thrown in her face. I didn't mean it literally.

This whole thing has been turned into a mire by people misconstruing the fans actions and when they do something fun like with the cupcakes people say it's stupid and they should give it to charity, an act they have already been vilified for.

They didn't attached Child's Play to get credibility they did it to channel their disappointment into something good. How can you be so cynical?

Yeah harrasment is just a joke.

So is review bombing.

And legitimising piracy.

And deciding you have creative right over something you didn't make.

Its just a joke.... laugh god dammit.... hahahahaahhaa

This is great. If only people raged more like this, the atmosphere would be so much more friendly.

Also this makes us look like more than angry screaming fanboys.

Please explain to me, haters, why lobbying for a game to change labels you as pathetic and entitled? I've never once felt like Bioware owed me anything, but I defiantly am not happy with the blatant lie about what we could expect from the ending of the game. My question is, why are we labeled children and irresponsible and loud just because we're dissatisfied with something?

When Fallout 3 ended, tons of people flipped their lids in just this same way, the ending was enhanced through DLC, and the problem was solved. Fans were happy, and Bethesda was happy because they got to make additional high-quality content and rightfully charge for it.

In summary, I believe Bioware owes us an answer more than "Its what we wanted to do." I think the ending should be optionally expanded through DLC, I also don't require this expanded ending to by rainbows and sunshine, I don't even care if Shepherd dies. I just want an ending that's consistent with the rest of the games. And guess what, I think we should actually -pay- for the expansion, because -gasp- its the right thing to do in exchange for content. People seem to forget consumers have a right to disparage products they buy and are dissatisfied with, it encourages competition and innovation. Or, alternatively, you could take the stance that we should just swallow what we're spoon fed and accept every little drop in quality as inevitable. In my opinion, its the second stance that does more harm to "artist integrity" and game's industry than the first.

Finally, anyone getting upset about the Child's Play thing? You're really the most cynical and intellectually dishonest people here. Find something worthwhile to complain about, okay?

Audacity:
This is gonna be one of those things you never forget. I don't mean the cupcakes. I mean how much whining little children the people are acting like. If you REALLY enjoyed the games all the way to the end of the third and hated the ending so what? It's about the journey you made getting there and not what happens when you get there. Plus. When I get cupcakes no matter what the message the only thing I think is "Fuck yeah, Cupcakes."

I wish it was true, but of all the parts of a game to focus on, the ending should be a priority. This is especially true in a series that's been touting that 'every choice you make matters' since the very beginning. They're not being 'whiny children' by voicing outrage, they have a legitimate grievance that, admittedly, not everyone has been expressing in a mature manner. Be that as it may, it's equally damning to judge a whole group by the actions of a few vocal members.

If you like the ending, great, but don't judge people who are expressing criticism by the few asshats who shout the loudest. Honestly, the fact that there are so many people who are making a big deal of this is a testament to the great writing of Bioware in general.

FelixG:

my dear timelord, how wrong you are.

This is really an underhanded and evil plot to make sure all the bioware employees get...

That's so offensive and childish! My cat suffers from Diabetes and looks just like Wilford Brimley! You make all cat owners look bad and childish and entitled to their own opinions! I HOPE YOU DIE!

/sarcasm/

Funny post man. Sorry couldn't resist imitating some of the ignorance in here.

Leximodicon:
Yes, I have angered the BioWare fanboys. Good, good.

And you're on your way to being banned for it. Congratulations.

I sincerely hope somebody's message was "I put my dick in this cupcake."

Not for any anger at BW just because it's a funny inside joke from my college days.

I get how this is related to the ending, but I can't help but wonder whether this is a not-so-subtle jab at Hamb- Jennifer Hepler.

Draech:
snip

I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, they in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:
snip

I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, the in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.

Yeah they have legitimate criticism. I said that already. And you still ignore it. It doesn't matter.

Fans are acting like spoiled children is still fans acting like spoiled children. You act like "Retake Mass Effect" is justified while you never owned it. You just played it.
You can pretend that Review Bombing can only be done by a minority, while that is literally impossible.

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

That you refuse to look that in the eye and just go "You just want them to be the bad guyes" while you look away.

I am a fan of the series. I dislike the ending, but I am not going to make a FFC complaint, a fund raiser or a petition to make a funking video game conform to my expectations.

I am going to move the fuck on while every idiot related to the "Retake ME" manneged to make the world a tiny bit worse.

Al-Bundy-da-G:
So vanilla huh... Why of all the delicious kinds of cupcakes why vanilla? Marble, strawberry, yogurt filled, why vanilla? It's so bland and boring, just like the Ma... Oh.

Vanilla is...bland and boring...?

Vanilla is one of the most exotic and most expensive and most complex spices on the planet. If you think Vanilla is boring, you're probably using the fake vanilla that they extract from wood pulp.

Free cupcakes who's complaining :P

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:
snip

I haven't seen anyone do those things and if they have they are certainly in a tiny minority. You are just determined to make the fans out as the bad guys when, the in fact, have a legitimate criticism of the game.

Yeah they have legitimate criticism. I said that already. And you still ignore it. It doesn't matter.

Fans are acting like spoiled children is still fans acting like spoiled children. You act like "Retake Mass Effect" is justified while you never owned it. You just played it.
You can pretend that Review Bombing can only be done by a minority, while that is literally impossible.

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

That you refuse to look that in the eye and just go "You just want them to be the bad guyes" while you look away.

I am a fan of the series. I dislike the ending, but I am not going to make a FFC complaint, a fund raiser or a petition to make a funking video game conform to my expectations.

I am going to move the fuck on while every idiot related to the "Retake ME" manneged to make the world a tiny bit worse.

Yeah I'm sure the $80,000 they raised for sick children made the world a terrible place! People complained about the ending to Fallout 3, they changed it, and the world didn't end.

I didn't partake in the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement either but I'm not going to make them out as villains when all they have done is tried to be constructive and positive.

I would be more supportive of this 'defend artistic integrity!' point of view if the ending actually had any effort put into it. It feels like people arguing over whether to paint over some crappy graffiti in a park...

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:
snip

Yes because if there's anything that makes this world a worse place its people expressing their opinions of dissatisfaction. Not murder, war, poverty, disease, or bigotry, but people being dissatisfied with a product. We should all take it sitting down and lap up every little drop in expectation or quality happily. What exactly makes you so loyal to the developer's "artistic integrity"? I really don't get people like you, mate. You're making yourself look very ignorant.

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Yeah I'm sure the $80,000 they raised for sick children made the world a terrible place! People complained about the ending to Fallout 3, they changed it, and the world didn't end.

I didn't partake in the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement either but I'm not going to make them out as villains when all they have done is tried to be constructive and positive.

I would be more supportive of this 'defend artistic integrity!' point of view if the ending actually had any effort put into it. It feels like people arguing over whether to paint over some crappy graffiti in a park...

Unless you can tell me with a strait face that you cannot raise 80k without entitled twats behind it then you got nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here