Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

WMDogma:
Kotaku's source suggested that games shipped for the Orbis will either be PSN downloads or on a Blu-Ray disc, which will then be locked to a single PSN account and require users to have an active internet connection to play. It's believed that pre-owned games for the Orbis will have limited functionality (such as a demo mode) until a registration fee is paid, similar to how online passes must be purchased for used PS3 and Xbox 360 titles in order to access extra content like multiplayer.

And lo, did the death of the non-connected gamer sound throughout the world, not with a hearty cry, but with a pathetic whimper, slowly suffocated to death by Sony's ridiculously large bags of money.

Sony has said, repeatedly and consistently, that they've been looking at the PS3 to last at least ten years as their console. It's only been in the last couple years that they started turning a profit on it, and only a year or so more than that since developers stopped complaining about how hard it was to develop for and started saying how they were getting a feel for it and how much power it has. It's adoption levels are only now starting to approach those of the xBox in total sales, and their sales of the PS3 are still increasing year over year.

So we're supposed to believe that Sony has decided, "Meh. Not good enough. Let's split our current user and developer base and release another very expensive console that has no software library for it."

When this fails to happen in June, will the Escapist journalistic crew stop wasting our time by reporting idiotic unsourced rumours? I mean hell, if you want to make stuff up, just do it yourself. At least then you can claim some original reporting.

Here's a rumor for you guys. The next Kinect will have holographic projection capabilities. It will cost consumers just shy of $500 which is significantly lower than it's manufacturing costs, but Microsoft is expecting sales robust enough that they'll be able to sell the thing profitably in under three years, and their patents will guarantee that their exclusives are exactly that. The technology has been developed in conjunction with Zenimax, who will receive developer's kits free of charge, giving them a significant first mover advantage.

You just have to know what a Southern Island GPU series is to know this is fake.
That and it sounds fuckin' stupid. It would be a disaster for Sony.

Didn't Sony already say that they're not even gathering ideas for a new console right now?

Where do people come up with this shit?

I just found out that the next Nintendo handheld will be able to make you a grilled cheese sandwich, while simultaneously doubling as a unicycle!

Matthew94:
This makes me most skeptical, apart from all the other crap here. Sony said they wouldn't make the same mistake again as they did with the PS3... although with the way they released the Vita you never know.

How is developing a console based on an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU remotely similar to the PS 3 development?

Adam Jensen:
You just have to know what a Southern Island GPU series is to know this is fake.

I do know what it is, how does that make it fake?

Raijha:
I wouldn't be surprised. Much has been said that the new Xbox console will somehow have protection against used games as well.

See, this is something I don't understand. Gamers love Valve, they love Steam, they love EVERYTHING about Valve and Steam, and want digital distribution for everything, everywhere, often claiming they would love a steambox console or steam ON one of the other consoles. Then some news like this comes up, where Microsoft or Playstation starts talking about making their new console almost exclusively digital distribution, and everyone goes, oh hell no, their just trying to kill used game sales exclusively to kill used game sales. Steam doesn't have any type of used game market, and its hugely successful and held in such high regard. Why do we all love Steam so much, but then do nothing but complain about the loss of used games when an announcement like this is made? It makes little sense to me.

Iunno, I'm sure that I'm over generalizing here, and not seeing the whole picture/all the issues, but, well, there it is.

Oh, but the backwards compatibility thing, yea, it kinda sucks. I'm sure there's some hardware excuse for why they can't do it, when really it'll likely just be oh, well, you can download them off the PSN to play still, so, again, buy your library, AGAIN. That's not nice. I'll keep my old PS3 that still plays PS2 games that I had to hunt down, thanks.

game prices.

edit: TO ELABORATE

you take a majority of your 60 dollar games and discount them based on their actual play value minus whatever time has passed since release (based on a curve that scales up really fast), you'll see folks swarming the world over to get themselves a piece, plus many other quality indie titles, also at discounts depending on the time of year

now see, sure you could do this with used games, but by selling unreturnable, unduplicated, and unused copies that technically undercut the used market and cram the people full with games so hard they don't even consider buying used

(and with every game added to steam, it gives them more incentive to stay with the service that has reliably served them, and has technical control over all of the games they like)

AND THE COMPANIES THAT GO WITH STEAM RAKE IN THEIR FAIR SHARE FOR THESE SALES

and valve gets a piece of the pie for the support, which would have normally made such a means of propagating games impossible for most, even those with money spilling out of their pockets, due to the lack of experience, trustworthy manpower, and infrastructure required to make a worthy effort of it all, and valve has all of this in spades, having fought hard for years to set it up in the first place, and is now the leader of the trend

this is why it works better

throw away the high price barriers, give the companies their cut, and you can grease the wheels forever

Tanakh:
I do know what it is, how does that make it fake?

There is no way they could use one of the newest GPU architectures. The console must have been in development for a few years at least. Which GPU the console will use had to be decided before southern Islands series was out. I think the most they could use from AMD is a GPU from Evergreen family. Maybe, and that's a big fuckin' maybe, a Northern Islands GPU.

WMDogma:

An anonymous source claims that the next PlayStation console won't have backwards capability or play used games.

The new Sony platform will include a high end AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, supposedly allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160, far beyond the capabilities of most current HDTVs. The Orbis will also allow users to play 3D games at full 1080p, a full 360p more than the PS3's current 720p resolution.

Source: Kotaku

Right, and I'm sure the price point strategy, which is all consoles have, will work for this. And I'm also sure that no one will just buy a PC, with better hardware by the time this thing actually launches. The fact that the rumour goes with AMD hardware shows that either the rumour starter has no idea about PC hardware, or PS4 gamers will cheerfully brag about anything that purports to be "more powerful" than the Nextbox.

Oh yes, and whilst this is a rumour, I'd like to add that I've heard that it won't support discs. Which will be interesting.

It wasn't true when the exact same "leak" came out about the nextbox, and the chances of it being true about the PS4 are just as likely.

Tanakh:

Matthew94:
This makes me most skeptical, apart from all the other crap here. Sony said they wouldn't make the same mistake again as they did with the PS3... although with the way they released the Vita you never know.

How is developing a console based on an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU remotely similar to the PS 3 development?

Jesus, did you not bloody see what I quoted?

"Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price"

The mistake will be if it retails at a high price like the PS3. Can I make it any simpler?

I dislike the always on internet :X

I always liked my consoles for casual solo gaming at home

Its an anonymous source so we should all panic right?

Matthew94:
Jesus, did you not bloody see what I quoted?

"Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price"

The mistake will be if it retails at a high price like the PS3. Can I make it any simpler?

And again, if it's ture then it will be based on an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, released xmas 2013. That means it will be on a price comparable to an Xbox vanilla/360 on launch and that they did learnt their lesson. Ohh... i see, reading comprenhension mistake, "heafty price" here is used to refear to the price of not having used games mate... not actual pounds

Why would Sony want to render games at 4096x2160? That doesn't make sense, are there even any TV's that can display that?

Adam Jensen:
snip

Lets see:

PS 3 - based on the GeForce 7800 series- launched on nov 2006

GeForce 7800 - launched August 2005

Rumors say:

PS 4 - based on AMD Southern Island GPU - to be launched xmas 2013

AMD Southern Island GPU - launched Jan 2012

no... dont see the issue.

draythefingerless:

Foolproof:

Matthew94:

No I mean the device that was priced outside of what the public wanted to pay for a dedicated gaming device.

Oh, so the device Sony never actually made?

The PS3 came out half a year after the xbawks, and it costed around 100-200 more than the xbawks launch price. i remember seeing ps3s brand new for 800 euros(with the big HDDs) and thinking WOW that is way too much.

EDIT: scratch that, a YEAR after the xbawks release.

Thank you, man living six years ago.

mysecondlife:

No-one here is panicking -the only people who believe this shit are idiots who desperately want to believe the worst about Sony to defend either Nintendo or the PC, depending on the idiot.

I really don't think the PS3 needs a release right now. The hardware has still not been used fully. Of the two consoles only Xbox needs a new model with some slightly stronger hardware.

Smertnik:
Didn't Kaz Hirai state a few months back that there're no plans for a new Playstation for the time being?

It was going to be a surprise...

Also it will include Half-life 3 and a Cake

Considering the PS3, hardware-wise, could likely match up against the next generation of consoles, I really can't see them working on a PS4 yet. Consoles are always sold at a loss and the games make the profit, there's really no reason for them to waste money on a new console, especially with the PSP, PS3 and PSV having really weak starts. (The PSP and PS3 eventually bounced into awesomeness, and the PSV is still new.) They probably can't afford another one of those.

Simplest answer: keep the current hardware, give it a firmware overhaul, maybe a release a new controller and keep on trucking. Then next gen of consoles will likely just barely match the current PS3, I'm certain the hardware is perfectly fine.

I sort of hope this is true. Im tired of hearing people ignore what companies do just because they want what they want and dont give two shits of what they are causing. Given Sony has went off the ever loving deep end after last year, I no longer hold any sort of loyalty to them and really I dont care what happens to them

Though, even Stevie Wonder could see this is bogus. (for most of the readers, Stevie Wonder was a blind pianist who gained a degree of fame in the late 70s early 80s... damned kids, making me feel old to have to explain who someone is.)

This console sounds like crap at the moment. Although, codename "Orbis" sounds kind of cool.

Ok... there needs to be a formal way for authors of any media to collect royaltees from second hand sells.

Speaking of royaltees, whatever happened to them in the gaming industry? Is it all just salaries and bonuses now? If I where running an entertainment studio, everyone would get a base salary of no more than 2.5x poverty level with everything else made up from getting anywhere from a penny to a nickle for every product sold.

edit

Valeran:
Considering the PS3, hardware-wise, could likely match up against the next generation of consoles, I really can't see them working on a PS4 yet.

Nope. The PS3 has less general compute power, less memory flexibility and total bandwidth, less IO flexibility, less bandwidth from the optical drive, less real GPU throughput (GeForce 7800 vs Radeon 2900 GT) than the 360... and the cell processor is a disaster to say the very least. Most devs simply use the SPUs on the cell as an extension of the GPU, making the CPU 1/3rd as powerful as the 360.

Crono1973:
Why would Sony want to render games at 4096x2160? That doesn't make sense, are there even any TV's that can display that?

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1308821283

Yes... but its not consumer friendly at 36k$

Crono1973:

Well someone else already posted the link to the TVs that do have it but this kind of thing is really just future proofing it. Though even so we both know that they would just go back to 1080p anyway like the PS3's feature being 1080p gaming then all the new exclusives using 720p so they can squeeze more out of it. Also this is just a rumor with one of the features being copy-pasted from the Xbox rumor that was proven false so don't take this seriously at all.

VonKlaw:
Potentially, and I'm not hurling this out as fact, but what exactly are most people going to do if both the next Xbox and PS console have anti-used game functions?

simple the open wound in the market will be filled by another company that doesnt have an anti used game policy.

remember sony and microsoft were the new guys once and the videgame industry has crashed before too it isnt without precedent.

Nope, calling complete bs on this. There is absolutely no sane businessman that would look at this, after the debacle that was the start for the PS3 prices, and accept it as good sense. Everything about this would make the world's worst console and drive people to PC gaming.

Besides, I thought Sony was taking a break and licking its wounds...

You could lick Sony's balls on a hourly basis and still not want this in your house.

WMDogma:

Kotaku's source suggested that games shipped for the Orbis will either be PSN downloads or on a Blu-Ray disc, which will then be locked to a single PSN account and require users to have an active internet connection to play. It's believed that pre-owned games for the Orbis will have limited functionality (such as a demo mode) until a registration fee is paid, similar to how online passes must be purchased for used PS3 and Xbox 360 titles in order to access extra content like multiplayer.

What! I can accept not being able to play pre owned games, I can accept paying for internet, I can accept a high price tag. But a permanent internet connection to play game's would destroy any ability to play games for me and a lot of others. Needing the internet to play single player games is a BAD idea. just have a look at what happened to Assassins creed 2 (pirated heaps on PC and got a very low metacritic score last time I checked). Although these are rumors and lets hope they don't make us pay for online and need an internet connection to play games

LoL, this almost sounds like the next Xbox rumors but they replaced all the XBOX720 references with PS4 or "Orbis".

I mean, Sony has openly stated multiple times that they won't be showing anything console wise at the next E3. And they have also stated many many times about the PS3's 10 year life cycle. All of these rumors are annoying. Nintendo is releasing a new system so the others must be as well. It's that interesting causal story that makes me laugh. I mean, they aren't threatened by the WiiU since it's not that powerful (more rumors, gossip girls is what everyone is).

Foolproof:

mysecondlife:

No-one here is panicking -the only people who believe this shit are idiots who desperately want to believe the worst about Sony to defend either Nintendo or the PC, depending on the idiot.

Yeah... I knew it was a poor choice of words seconds after I posted it. Didn't bother fixing. But still.. it must've been slow news day.

no used games? or backwards compatability?

haha...yeah just liek that nextbox rumour

without used games stores would be reducted ot having "special deals" on DLC or somthing

oh and I need a new rediculously expensive TV?

yeah...fuck that shit

probably a bunch of bullshit. Though considering how stupid Sony has been for this gen I wouldn't be surprised if some of this DID happen

Raijha:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

You're welcome? I suppose? Anyway, I did say I was just taking a very broad look at it, and admitted I was likely missing a lot of the issues. I appreciate people taking the time to point out those issues that I may have missed. Helps me get more educated on the differences and restrictions that can occur. So thank you, actually. :)

Haha, don't mind my thanks. I've been ending every post with "P.S. Thanks" since Sony trademarked the phrase in 2009.

P.S. Thanks

Hey! Hey, smell that? You smell it?

It smells like bullshit.

It's been discussed by blocking used games would be a horrible move in another thread, except they were discussing things about the 360, but whatever.
Better graphics is not a good enough incentive to get people to ditch their still-pretty-cool PS3.
No backwards compatibility? Horrible move, if it's true. PS2 could play PS1 games. Early PS3 could play PS2 games. So it doesn't add up.
Active internet connection in order to play? Dick move. Not everyone who owns a PS3 has an internet connection at home, believe it or not. Hence why they get a PS3 (Or a Wii) instead of a 360.
Registration fee for used games? Another dick move. As if online passes weren't frowned upon enough. Only a handful of games can get away with that.
PSN download games? Horrible, HORRIBLE idea. We live in an era of instant gratification. The fact that I have to wait a couple of minutes to find a match online is "excruciating" enough, but whatever, it's just a couple of minutes. If I change my mind, I just need to pop out the disc, insert another disc and in less than 2 minutes I could be playing a different game. But having to wait minutes--nay, hours to play a game is a horrible proposal (Not everyone has lighting-fast internet).

And finally, the price. Oh, Maker, the price. If the PS3 was around $600 when it first came out, this one should run at around...$1000? And if those rumors are true, it doesn't seem like this PS4 has enough features to outsell the PS3 yet.

This sounds pretty scary and I seriously wish its just a rumor. Sure seems like it, but hey, who knows?

If this is true, guess who won't be getting one: This guy!

Seriously, I understand why the industry doesn't like used sales, but I'm sorry, not many games are worth the full $65 they ask for and I don't feel like paying people for crappy products. Instead of forcing everyone to buy new, they need to somehow adapt to the used market, cause it will always be there. If the new systems have something like this, I know a LOT of people who will be pissed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here