Guy Ties Up 4-Year-Old So He Can Play Videogames

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

People asking why video games are being mentioned:

1) Because video games are directly involved in the story. The guy allegedly tied up the kid so he could game. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you, but it's pretty relevant in this case.

2) As others have already said, this is a gaming site. Stories have to be in some way, even tangentially, related to games and gaming to appear here.

Seriously though, you can't complain or cry "anti-gaming conspiracy" every time games are mentioned in a bad light. I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned if he had allegedly tied the girl up in order to watch tv or something. The emphasis isn't on the gaming, but rather on the (relatively) frivolous activity (tv, films, sport, shopping etc would all be considered just as bad in this sort of case by a reasonable human being) and the disproportionate nature of the alleged actions. Yes, there's a negative stereotype which we're trying to get others to see past. No, that does not mean we can cover up (though I'm loathe to use the word, censor) examples of said stereotype actually showing up.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Do you not understand how to report on suspected crimes and suspected criminals, Grey? Here's a tip: innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law. It doesn't matter what someone tells you they said, what the cops think, how many times they've been arrested or even what they themselves have supposedly stated. Until their trial is complete, they are assumed to be as innocent as you or I. Period. You use phrases and words to imply their guilt based on what? What you've heard they said? That they've been arrested? Because that's always the truth and police are judges now?

Every single report you attempt is filled with trial by media conjecture and a painful readiness to swallow the words of others as fact.

Also this. Nothing's been proven in court yet, none of us has any way of knowing if any of this actually happened, only that someone has alleged that it did. For all we know this could be some sick person making shit up (not saying it's likely, but it does happen). People get acquitted of crimes, including child abuse, every day and sadly the media coverage often leads to them being treated just as badly as if they were guilty.

How is this news? I thought this kind of incident was The Onion's domain.

"Secretary Of Transportation Flips Out On Pothole In Baltimore"

Domino effect, I like it.

Although, the original post didn't seem very sarcastic, and your post might have been better with just one of those troll faces. I don't just jump on people for no reason, I actually thought you had taken the post seriously is all.... it's been a long week.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Do you not understand how to report on suspected crimes and suspected criminals, Grey? Here's a tip: innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law. It doesn't matter what someone tells you they said, what the cops think, how many times they've been arrested or even what they themselves have supposedly stated. Until their trial is complete, they are assumed to be as innocent as you or I. Period. You use phrases and words to imply their guilt based on what? What you've heard they said? That they've been arrested? Because that's always the truth and police are judges now?

Every single report you attempt is filled with trial by media conjecture and a painful readiness to swallow the words of others as fact.

Ha! Good one!

Oh, you were serious?

0_o

Okay, so let's get this out there so I can wrap my head around it. You are criticizing the author of a webcomic for irresponsible journalism in what is clearly not a news report, yes? I think I can help.

One reported man's arguably dumb decision to allegedly tie up a possibly four-year-old girl so he could allegedly play hypothetical games was presumably bound to end in metaphorical tears.

I could go on, but it would get repetitive.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
As retribution i propose...

eeeuurgghh fuck you, seriously, i can't get that out of my head, -cringe-
aww that would suck

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Ha! Good one!

Oh, you were serious?

0_o

Okay, so let's get this out there so I can wrap my head around it. You are criticizing the author of a webcomic for irresponsible journalism in what is clearly not a news report, yes? I think I can help.

One reported man's arguably dumb decision to allegedly tie up a possibly four-year-old girl so he could allegedly play hypothetical games was presumably bound to end in metaphorical tears.

You pretend to be glib to prove a point, but end up looking childish. That's not how you successfully argue, friend. You may want to start by looking under the forum in which this was posted. Do you notice it's name? That's right--The News Room.

If you care to act with a touch of grace and come at this a little more tactfully, I'll argue it with you.

I've often thought that tying up (and gagging) kids in order to get some peace can be a legitimate tactic at times. Particularly when the little bastards are running around restaurants screaming, causing chaos, making the poor waitress drop plates/food and banging into my table and knocking over my pint and my dates drink while the parents clearly dont give a shit about it all going on until you raise a concern and then they square up to you and act like its all your fault because all they want to do is get pissed , get even fatter and basically pass the buck onto everyone else.

Actually, screw it. Tie them all up. Responsibility comes from both sides and if the parents don't care then the kids will grow up with the same sad attitude. And thats where hoodies come from.

LilithSlave:
I really want a license to have children implemented. Right now.

There are limits to freedom. There are plenty of things are that a privilege and not a right, or a "right one must earn". This, quite appears to be one of them.

That's something I've been saying for years.

There are people out there who've no desire to contribute to society but want as many freebies as they can get and a lot of these people see kids as nothing more than a means to an end.

I was at school with a number of girls who's big plan for life was leave school at 16, get pregnant, get on benefits (including a free council house) and live like that.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
As retribution i propose...

No no, a mild rash and a free waxing isn't punishment. I'd say we should pick a particular part of his body (like his rear), then get some industrial strength adhesive (the one that they use to stick flooring to the ground).

Just place the stuff on the chosen region, then, with the help of some mechanical appliance, rip that beauty off. If it works right, we should have one flayed gluteus maximus. Now he will have a constant reminder of his carelessness every time he tries to sit down and play his games.

The skin will grown back in time, but that ass will never look right again.

/sadistic fantasy.

OP: I literally can't describe how maddening this article is. The obscenity of the act is just beyond comprehension... I suppose it's because I NEVER heard of anything like this that I find it so shocking.

Heath? Mr. Howe? This Bud's for you.

Some parents do not deserve children, what if the child had asthma and needed her inhaler? What this "gentleman" did is rather cruel but luckily she seems to be okay while he and his wife need to get their priorities in check.

Eleima:

CrazyCapnMorgan:
You know, I've said those who inherit and carry the Y chromosome are the scourge of the universe...but damn the lack of intelligence from those without the Y chromosome in regards to rutting partners makes it difficult to defend that statement at times.

Stupidity does not discriminate, it would seem!

No, it does not, and honestly I'm thankful for that!

JaceArveduin:

CrazyCapnMorgan:

You know, I've said those who inherit and carry the Y chromosome are the scourge of the universe...but damn the lack of intelligence from those without the Y chromosome in regards to rutting partners makes it difficult to defend that statement at times.

You know, I found this hilarious as hell, and I'm not quite sure why...

Does the phrase "funny, because it's true" come to mind? That, and when you read a good majority of human history, you tend to notice certain social, curtural and "logical" patterns. Then things like this happen...

Captcha: think twice. I did, Captcha...and I still believe the ones who inherit and carry the Y chromosome are the scourge of the universe. It's just that...well, now they're starting to have some competition.

Wait a sec...WHY AM I TALKING TO CAPTCHA?!?!? o.0

FelixG:
It always amazes me how many people on the escapist lack a sense of humor.

If it was humour, it broke Poe's Law. People are generally ignorant about what BDSM is, thus, any ignorant-looking comments are presumed to have been made out of ignorance.

Lilith was right to react like that.

Aah, asshole parents always come through about every month, reminding us why they're lowlife scum.
Thank you asshole parents, I wouldn't want to forget that you suck and should never have been given the chance to procreate...

...you fuckin' assholes.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Ha! Good one!

Oh, you were serious?

0_o

You pretend to be glib to prove a point, but end up looking childish. That's not how you successfully argue, friend. You may want to start by looking under the forum in which this was posted. Do you notice it's name? That's right--The News Room.

If you care to act with a touch of grace and come at this a little more tactfully, I'll argue it with you.

I prefer vaguely humorous hinting to blunt observation, so I pose to you this question. Of the following, which is known for engaging in professional journalism rather than occasionally entertaining opinion pieces based on real world events?

A. The Onion
B. The Escapist
C. The Daily Show
D. Fox News
E. None of the Above

Blablahb:

FelixG:
It always amazes me how many people on the escapist lack a sense of humor.

If it was humour, it broke Poe's Law. People are generally ignorant about what BDSM is, thus, any ignorant-looking comments are presumed to have been made out of ignorance.

Lilith was right to react like that.

I counter that argument with Rule 34. Someone was bound to get the joke. I submit that there is no reason for Mr. Carter to restrain his commentary for fear of someone not understanding the reference.

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:

Ha! Good one!

Oh, you were serious?

0_o

I prefer vaguely humorous hinting to blunt observation, so I pose to you this question. Of the following, which is known for engaging in professional journalism rather than occasionally entertaining opinion pieces based on real world events?

A. The Onion
B. The Escapist
C. The Daily Show
D. Fox News
E. None of the Above

Your sardonic humor is rather poor.

But on topic; it's too much to expect unbiased, well written news in a thread filed under "News Room?" Nonsense. That you've come to expect anything less says more of the quality of staff here than of my own sense. It is people like Grey that hamper the justice system, using language blatantly in contrast to a cornerstone of civilized countries--innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law--that is gobbled up by ill-informed and lazy citizens.

Eamar:
People asking why video games are being mentioned:

1) Because video games are directly involved in the story. The guy allegedly tied up the kid so he could game. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with you, but it's pretty relevant in this case.

The mother is just as guilty. It would be like mentioned 4 guys doing a bank job and one spending the money the he got from it on games. The focus shouldn't be on what he wanted to spend the money on, but the fact that he robbed a freakin' bank.

If he tied up the child to watch T.V would the T.V be mentioned? If he tied up the child to read a book would it be mentioned? No, just simply playing a game is enough to have it mentioned, as if the game was somehow encouraged him to think "hey, maybe I should perform some child abuse".

It might be the case, it might not be, but the article certainly implies that is it despite no hard evidence. Now if there WAS hard evidence that the game led him to it or some such then mentioned the games would be releavent. The mom came back from shopping and did nothing, so why is the fact that she's shopping not mentioned?

LilithSlave:

There are limits to freedom. There are plenty of things are that a privilege and not a right, or a "right one must earn". This, quite appears to be one of them.

I agree with this for totally unrelated reasons, but nonetheless, this is what CPS is for, we should really use them here.

Also, dammit, when someone is *unable to reasonably move*, do not *leave them alone.* People can fall, accidentally strangle themselves, what if there's a fire, or an electrical shock, or...so on. There are so many levels of stupid and irresponsible here, even past the WHY ARE YOU TYING UP YOUR KID part.

One thing I'm confused about is, did he tie her up *so* he could play games (i.e. she was bothering him about something, he thought clearly the best idea is to get some peace and quiet by tying his kid up in another room), or did he just tie her up for kicks, then go play?

Also...wait, holy crap, this guy is from Sarasota, Florida! I used to live there! Whoa. ><

Shouldn't the headline read "Another Grunting Caveman Gives Gamers a Bad Name"?

It's funny how this gets a lot of press everytime it's about video games, but how many times do you think parents neglected their child to shoot up heroin or do coke?

"a 27-year-old gentleman"

Gentleman? Should have used a word like perp. The wording of this article does not fit the subject at all.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

A. The Onion
B. The Escapist
C. The Daily Show
D. Fox News
E. None of the Above

Your sardonic humor is rather poor.

But on topic; it's too much to expect unbiased, well written news in a thread filed under "News Room?" Nonsense. That you've come to expect anything less says more of the quality of staff here than of my own sense. It is people like Grey that hamper the justice system, using language blatantly in contrast to a cornerstone of civilized countries--innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law--that is gobbled up by ill-informed and lazy citizens.

Okay... blunt observation it is.

The Escapist is not a news site. The fact that the word "news" appears in a subsection of the site does not, and should not imply that the site employs professional journalists. If you spent as much energy on observing your surroundings as you do making pointless accusations, you might notice that articles on this site come from two sources: people who contribute to the site's entertainment features (e.g. Mr. Carter), and people whose primary purpose on this site is to engage in the dubiously named occupation of "game journalism," which compares to actual journalism like astrology does to astronomy.

Want to know the what qualifications you need to write for this site? Well let's ask the Escapist. Let me look... Ah. Here we go. From the horse's mouth:

We're looking to add a few exceptional additions to our quirky band of international news correspondents. If you're an extremely talented, insightful writer who lives anywhere on planet Earth and has been looking for a way to break into game journalism, then we'd love for you to apply for one of our currently available paid, part-time freelance positions.

While experience is a plus, we're mostly interested in your abilities to clearly, effectively and entertainingly communicate ideas via the written word. That's why instead of trying to cram some overlong application process down your virtual throats, we've devised our own little test to see if you're right for the job.

So we're talking about a quirky band of people hired to write entertainingly. Now ask yourself, does this sound more like The Daily Show or CNN? You want to see good professional journalism, and I applaud that. You are looking in the wrong place. And by place I mean the planet Earth, because when the majority of any given country's media is owned by a small handful of corporations, true impartial journalism is effectively dead.

Valdus:

The mother is just as guilty. It would be like mentioned 4 guys doing a bank job and one spending the money the he got from it on games. The focus shouldn't be on what he wanted to spend the money on, but the fact that he robbed a freakin' bank.

If he tied up the child to watch T.V would the T.V be mentioned? If he tied up the child to read a book would it be mentioned? No, just simply playing a game is enough to have it mentioned, as if the game was somehow encouraged him to think "hey, maybe I should perform some child abuse".

It might be the case, it might not be, but the article certainly implies that is it despite no hard evidence. Now if there WAS hard evidence that the game led him to it or some such then mentioned the games would be releavent. The mom came back from shopping and did nothing, so why is the fact that she's shopping not mentioned?

Actually, I'm pretty sure watching TV (or anything else) would have been mentioned, as reporters love to dwell on the "criminal commits terrible act while casually doing X" thing. Makes them seem less compassionate and highlights their callousness. I really don't think the article is implying that "vidya gaems made him do it," rather that he was (apparently) so incompetent as a parent/child-minder that he prioritised his leisure activities over the child. People here are pretty over-sensitive about the presentation of gaming in the wider media, and while there are certainly examples of holding video games responsible for people's terrible behaviour, I really don't think that's the case here.

I do agree that the mother is just as bad though (if this story is true), and she should have been given just as much attention as the guy. I imagine the reason she receives less attention is that she didn't do the actual tying up. Doesn't make it any better in my opinion, but I imagine some people might just see her as an "accomplice" or something.

EDIT: the source article mentions that the mother had been at the gym in exactly the same way it mentions the gaming, but no-one's leaping around going "the reporters are giving gyms a bad name!"

weirdsoup:

LilithSlave:

That's something I've been saying for years.

There are people out there who've no desire to contribute to society but want as many freebies as they can get and a lot of these people see kids as nothing more than a means to an end.

I was at school with a number of girls who's big plan for life was leave school at 16, get pregnant, get on benefits (including a free council house) and live like that.

Dangerously slipping towards eugenics there, and eugenics of the more distasteful kinds. Pretty much unenforcible in a way that's not going to damage people, and the setting down of who does or does not get to breed is never going to get a reasonable result.

Scars Unseen:
professional journalists

Firstly, he is a professional journalist because he is paid (professional) to do reports such as this (journalism). He isn't doing them for free.

You imply it takes a professional to report with any ounce of skill. Hardly. It takes someone with at least some sense of credibility and a basic understanding of highschool English.

(Face palm) Oh for the love of...! Priorities people!

LilithSlave:

...Right, what they said.

When I become a parent I can't promise that I will give up video games entirely, but I will make it my last priority when it comes to taking care of my family.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:
professional journalists

Firstly, he is a professional journalist because he is paid (professional) to do reports such as this (journalism). He isn't doing them for free.

You imply it takes a professional to report with any ounce of skill. Hardly. It takes someone with at least some sense of credibility and a basic understanding of highschool English.

Way to quote two words and ignore all context in order to "prove" a point I've already debunked. I am impressed.

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:
professional journalists

Way to quote two words and ignore all context in order to "prove" a point I've already debunked. I am impressed.

You seem to lack much in the way of witticism beyond sarcasm and that hardly counts. Not very biting, friend.

=y:
When I'm a father I fully expect to give up gaming at the rate I do right now. I don't think this guy got the memo that children require constant attention even if he is just a babysitter instead of the father. I hope I never get video game addiction to the point where I'd tie up a child to maintain concentration.

hell, hope you never get a gaming addiction so bad that both you and your wife take care of your virtual child more than your actual child.

.. Actually happened, couple in either China or South Korea a while back, met in an online game, married, had a real kid, but took better care of their virtual one better, I think their actual child died due to neglect or something.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Scars Unseen:

Grey Day for Elcia:

You seem to lack much in the way of witticism beyond sarcasm and that hardly counts. Not very biting, friend.

You based your post on two words and offered the wisdom of a dictionary. Not much to bite on.

I didn't intend to come across as offensive towards the BDSM crowd. In fact, I've met and even become good friends with people who practice the Dom/Sub lifestyle who would be appalled at the idea of all the levels of stupid that happened, IF it happened the way it was reported. In fact, I'll be sharing this article with them next time I see them.

This sounds like something a mean older sibling would do.

How is this news?

Do you guys just hunt down any crime that tangentially involves games and then phrase in such a way as to demonize them? Honest to Christ, one of these days I'm gonna come to this site and I'll read this headline:

"Man commits murder. Is found to have owned video games. COINCIDENCE!?"

-.-

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook