DRM Kills Angry Birds

Pages PREV 1 2

Strange, Angry Birds seems to be working just fine for me. At least for now. Note that I'm using a 3G iPhone.

Looks like the pigs are going to have an extended holiday for those who can't play it though.

Stripes:
There will always be thieves so therefore we shouldnt have burglar alarms. Just because something is innefective doesnt mean it is unjustifiable, this is the wrong tactic but it doesnt make them at fault for trying to safegaurd their products. Pirates brought about DRM because they caused it to be created, therefore this is their fault. You seem to be saying that you cant say someones in the wrong because they wont listen. Why should I be angry at the victims not the perpetrators. Just because DRM is innefective doesnt mean those who use it are at fault. Pirates are in the wrong anyway, why should I not direct my scorn at them for yet another problem they have caused.

Your analogy is fundamentally flawed. Burglar alarms are meant to prevent people from entering houses. A more apt analogy would be to say that someone is selling bootleg VHS tapes (remember those). Anyway, to prevent this from happening, they have encoded the VHS tapes so that it can only play on one device (just pretend that could work with VHS for a sec). However, someone else just broke the code, and re-recorded a whole bunch of VHS so that they would no longer have the code, and sold those. The company that put the code on the original VHS tapes is now only inconveniencing their own customers, because people getting it illegally are getting a different version anyway. DRM is not just ineffective - it literally does less than nothing: it inconveniences the customers so much that it encourages them to get cracked copies from pirates. It's encouraging the problem it's trying to solve, and therefore should be done away with.

Stripes:
There will always be thieves so therefore we shouldnt have burglar alarms. Just because something is innefective doesnt mean it is unjustifiable, this is the wrong tactic but it doesnt make them at fault for trying to safegaurd their products. Pirates brought about DRM because they caused it to be created, therefore this is their fault. You seem to be saying that you cant say someones in the wrong because they wont listen. Why should I be angry at the victims not the perpetrators. Just because DRM is innefective doesnt mean those who use it are at fault. Pirates are in the wrong anyway, why should I not direct my scorn at them for yet another problem they have caused.

/facepalm

So did you not actually read my post, or are you just an idiot? Never did I say "We shouldn't have DRM because it doesn't work", I'm saying "their DRM doesn't actually target the very problem they claim to be targeting, so it's a waste of time/money". To use your analogy, it'd be like a burglar alarm that only goes off when you get home from work because you forgot the key to disable it at work (or the bar, or where ever you were). So now you're being arrested and hauled off to jail for not even breaking into your own house. As for burglars breaking into your house? They have forged keys. So they're able to get in and out of your house no problem.

Sounds like a pretty shitty burglar alarm, right? Yet this doesn't stop companies from having this burglar alarm installed in every house they build. And that's basically what all these companies are doing. They're installing a DRM that does nothing to stop people from pirating it, but does everything to inconvenience the legitimate customer. The DRM doesn't target pirates, it targets customers, and THAT is why it's a waste to have it in the first place. I'm not saying we "shouldn't have burglar alarms", I'm saying that our "burglar alarms" should actually target burglars.

TheCommanders:

Stripes:

Your analogy is fundamentally flawed. Burglar alarms are meant to prevent people from entering houses. A more apt analogy would be to say that someone is selling bootleg VHS tapes (remember those). Anyway, to prevent this from happening, they have encoded the VHS tapes so that it can only play on one device (just pretend that could work with VHS for a sec). However, someone else just broke the code, and re-recorded a whole bunch of VHS so that they would no longer have the code, and sold those. The company that put the code on the original VHS tapes is now only inconveniencing their own customers, because people getting it illegally are getting a different version anyway. DRM is not just ineffective - it literally does less than nothing: it inconveniences the customers so much that it encourages them to get cracked copies from pirates. It's encouraging the problem it's trying to solve, and therefore should be done away with.

Im not in favour of the DRM but the guy I was quoting was telling me that because we cant get rid of pirates I shouldnt be angry at them and should instead be angry at those they steal from for trying to stop it. I know it doesnt work, they clearly dont, that doesnt mean they are wrong to try and stop people stealing from them.

Desworks:

TopazFusion:
"FairPlay"
. . . and it's not fair, and you can't play it.

Alternatively, it's being Fair and stopping everyone from Playing. Letting nobody play is just as fair as letting everyone do it, after all. :P

No one but the pirates, anyway.

its not piracy, its "paying the iron price"

I dunno about a nightmare.

Seems more like the kind of thing they might do when they get bored of rolling in all that money they make by marking up garbage hardware 5000%.

DRM is supposed to stop pirates and yet there are a lot of pirates acting successfully. so why should DRM continue?

A perfect example of developers shooting themselves in the foot to try and rid themselves of piracy.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here