The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

tyriless:

Leonardo Chaves:

1-Popular votes are always bombed by fan communities, i know for a fact BSN has vote for Mass Effect threads.

As far as I seen there were no "Vote for ME 3" on these forums. On top of that, with the hate this game has been recieving I would expext any attempt to do so would be met with a backlash.

Leonardo Chaves:

2-In the gamespot goty poll it takes like 6000 votes to win, not sure about the escapist..

You got a point there. I would be curious to know the number of participants. Still, considering ME3 overcame 20 other titles, with several others being AAA darlings of the community, the fact it won at all is remarkable.

Leonardo Chaves:

3-If there was a biggest disappointment of 2012 ME3 and Assassin's boredom 3 would have a 2 way battle for it.

Again this is an opinion and one a lot of people apparently do and don't agree with. The game is absolutely contraversial. Those that have disdain for it are numerous and vocal, but those that really enjoyed ME3 have been less so. Its the old adage that people will complain more about their dissatisfaction more than those that are perfectly satisfied.

BSN is the Bioware forums, not the escapist, go and see for yourself, whenever there is a popular vote they have threads pointing directly to it...
I don't know about the others communities (probably the same, just smaller), but they are definitely in the bussiness of "making their game win", and with suppoused low totals... do the math...

I haven't played most of the games on this list, just ME3, AssCreed3 and Far Cry (got Spec Ops now, after hearing so much about it), voted for Far Cry... the contenders don't have the same starting point, ME3 even with lots of haters has a better starting point than most, if not all of them.

You can probably include Hitman:Absolution too, but among AAA titles ME3 and AC3 got the most backslash, by far not necessarily bad games, but didn't capture the magic of their predecessors.

Leonardo Chaves:

BSN is the Bioware forums, not the escapist, go and see for yourself, whenever there is a popular vote they have threads pointing directly to it...
I don't know about the others communities (probably the same, just smaller), but they are definitely in the bussiness of "making their game win", and with suppoused low totals... do the math...

I haven't played most of the games on this list, just ME3, AssCreed3 and Far Cry (got Spec Ops now, after hearing so much about it), voted for Far Cry... the contenders don't have the same starting point, ME3 even with lots of haters has a better starting point than most, if not all of them.

You can probably include Hitman:Absolution too, but among AAA titles ME3 and AC3 got the most backslash, by far not necessarily bad games, but didn't capture the magic of their predecessors.

I did the math. And it all makes sense. Your Reaction is equal to your Denial that people enjoyed this game + Annoyance that it ranked number one multiplied by the number of (forum+facebook+youtube) posts where you complained about the ending. or R = (D + A)(F+FB+YT)

ME 3 GOTY fair and sqaure.

Hmmm, interesting. Very Interesting.

If I had cast my vote I would have voted for Mass Effect 3 aswell, but if I asked myself why I'd say it was an awesome series. A trilogy that 'builds up' the way the three mass effect games did was always going to reflect it's entirety on the final episode.

So Mass Effect 3 was a great game, but I'd vote for it only because it was a great Trilogy. Far Cry 3 was a great game... well it was great the first time around. Second time the anticipation was kinda dead xD Oh and that second ending was terrible! Still a great game though.

ANYWAY! I'm glad ME3 won. It deserved to win, for itself and the two prior games that built it up. It'll take another 5+ years before a game can build itself up as high as Mass Effect did.

(Also... what's Walking Dead? I'm assuming it has zombies as it has the word 'Dead' in it. Is it based off of that series I've been hearing about? I don't think it shows in this country... or it does and I don't have that channel. If it got such high ratings I'd thought I'd have heard about it... Weird. Very Weird.)

You know a year was crap when one of the most hated games in recent memory is even a candidate for game of the year.

Well, XCOM is mine, but hey ME3 was a good game. Disappointed with the ending, but it was a wild ride for 80% of its length.

Having not played anything from the Mass Effect series, I have to take this win with a grain of salt. I think many of the other titles deserved it a lot more, but I might have said differently if I'd played it. I highly doubt it, but it's not an impossibility.

That said, I'm really glad Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead and Far Cry 3 were right up there, whereas titles like COD:Blops 2 were right down below.

Waaghpowa:
Huh, you'd think with all the ME3 whining, it would be lower. Personally I think The Walking Dead deserves it more.

TBH I actually voted for Journey........... But I don't disagree with your statement. But I would like to take this moment to point out that the soon to be defunct G4TV didn't even have Walking Dead as a nominee.

I really enjoyed Dishonored, especially my ghost, clean hands and mostly flesh and steel play through. I'm playing it a 2nd time to get the high chaos ending now. One thing I'm surprised is all the negativity I have heard about Mass Effect 3 and yet here it is first place. I haven't played it so I can't say personally.
Also The Walking Dead was also a great game.

Waaghpowa:
Huh, you'd think with all the ME3 whining, it would be lower. Personally I think The Walking Dead deserves it more.

Leonardo Chaves:

tyriless:

I did the math. And it all makes sense. Your Reaction is equal to your Denial that people enjoyed this game + Annoyance that it ranked number one multiplied by the number of (forum+facebook+youtube) posts where you complained about the ending. or R = (D + A)(F+FB+YT)

ME 3 GOTY fair and sqaure.

I know people enjoyed this game, a lot of people enjoy Transformers...
If you wanna get into an argument, use your brain instead of giving a troll response, then again no surprise a ME3 lover resort to trolling, makes sense...

And btw, i never complained about the ending, never cared actually... i was pissed at this game for ditching it's RPG roots (dialog wheel auto Shepard) and going straight to action shooter.

Ah, so your value of R is quite low then which would put you in the "meh" range. That and I likely have to revise the equation to factor in "Forgot your Roots!" malcontentment.

As far as film comparisons, I would put this more on the level of Dark Knight Rises. They both are both final entries in a trilogy. Also they follow the same characters through a chronological story with a questionable villian and a derided ending. Both the film and the game received wide-spread critical and fan appeal, but certainly has their share of detractors. In addition, they also come after a well regarded middle entry that greatly surpassed the original.

About your BSN comment, from a quick search I likely found the post you were talking about. On it, there was no call to vote for the game. He just listed the sites that had ranked the ME 3 as their game of the year or top contender, but he did include sites that had open polls for voting GOTY. However, I again reiterate, he didn't ask for anyone to vote for the game. Yes, you can surmise that someone might of might of rushed to vote for ME 3 (mind you there were multiple polls listed so that person would have to register with each sight), but I wanted to draw a distintion between the vote bating you implied happened and a forum posting to show what sights were carrying Mass Effect content. Postings like this are not unusual and I doubt it had the impact you are concerned with.

This year must've been a fairly shit year for games if Mass Effect 3 and Walking Dead are the two top picks.

One's a story that failed to deliver upon two games of build-up in the worst and most insulting way possible and the other is a game with very little actual gameplay backing it.

Happy New Year, may 2013 have games that are less shit.

Well that's a surprise considering all the threads whining about the ending and everything.

I'm happy that a lot of darkhorse games (X-COM, Dishonoured- that's how it's spelt in Europe- Spec Ops and Walking Dead being in the Top Ten is pretty cool, especially since AC3 and Halo 4 were in the bottom ten, though I still loved them).

Like a lot of people, I guess I'm just willing to overlook The Ending for the other 99% that came before then- still won't buy Omega before a price drop, though.

The list was pretty good this year, as a whole then- only thing I'm annoyed at is the lack of Hitman Absolution on the list. Still, Dishonored (Drat) and AC3 are giving would be assassins all the attention they need.

I'm going to kill my self now.

Mass Effect 3 and Dishonored ended up in the top 4
What the fuck Escapist?
Happy New Year!

ME3 is a demonstrably bad game. The fact that people like it has no bearing on this. It's a game with a mechanically sound core game wrecked with bad design choices and a continuing commitment from EA / Bioware to deliver fan fiction quality writing while informing the community they're jealous they don't have a gaming industry job and don't have / get vagina, while also censoring any criticism that isn't a thinly veiled compliment.

tyriless:

Ah, so your value of R is quite low then which would put you in the "meh" range. That and I likely have to revise the equation to factor in "Forgot your Roots!" malcontentment.

You go ahead and do that, making idiotic things up seems like specialty to you anyway.

As far as film comparisons, I would put this more on the level of Dark Knight Rises. They both are both final entries in a trilogy. Also they follow the same characters through a chronological story with a questionable villian and a derided ending. Both the film and the game received wide-spread critical and fan appeal, but certainly has their share of detractors. In addition, they also come after a well regarded middle entry that greatly surpassed the original.

For the record, i never directly compared the Transformers and ME3, i used the Transformers to ilustrate that popularity doesn't mean quality.

If i were to make an analogy to the ME series, it would something like the first 2 LOTR movies with Return directed by Michael Bay, plot? who cares about that? we need non-stop action and explosions...

About your BSN comment, from a quick search I likely found the post you were talking about. On it, there was no call to vote for the game. He just listed the sites that had ranked the ME 3 as their game of the year or top contender, but he did include sites that had open polls for voting GOTY. However, I again reiterate, he didn't ask for anyone to vote for the game. Yes, you can surmise that someone might of might of rushed to vote for ME 3 (mind you there were multiple polls listed so that person would have to register with each sight), but I wanted to draw a distintion between the vote bating you implied happened and a forum posting to show what sights were carrying Mass Effect content. Postings like this are not unusual and I doubt it had the impact you are concerned with.

For your information, that thread changed names after a few people took offense about it's objective.
But fair enough, you don't think it had a big impact and i have no means to prove you wrong, i was making a conjecture on the low vote totals anyway.

Leonardo Chaves:

tyriless:

You go ahead and do that, making idiotic things up seems like specialty to you anyway.

Awh, you didn't like my reaction equation?

tyriless:

Awh, you didn't like my reaction equation?

When people pulls something out of their ass... usually it's crap.

I voted for Guild Wars 2, something I didn't expect to win, but compared with other games I played this year, I get a lot more out of my money with Guild Wars 2, and I happen to really like it's take on personal character stories too :P

I am really Glad Mass Effect 3 won, though. It's definitely my second choice for GOTY. I felt more depressed about how the *cough,* "fans," reacted to the game than the actual ending, so I feel quite uplifted by the community's choice :) The extended cut is quite nice (though not the ending I would of chosen).

The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line are spectacular, definitely both of them one of my favourite games this year (probably Spec Ops more, due to it has actual gameplay and the ending cut me deep and had me depressed for days, while TWD's ending was quite predictable, though still good).

I haven't played Dishonored or XCom, so I guess I'll get round to them soon :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here