Update: Metal Gear Solid V Reveal Trailer Gets Surreal

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Daystar Clarion:
Ouch, Snake's new VA...

Also, British flag in the hospital? What's that about?

well, considering that all video game and movie characters just happen to develope a sudden english accent...

yeah.

Well now I just feel foolish for doubting that Phantom Pain was a MGS game when the first trailer came out.

Vie:

Voren:
Well if no one is gonna ask, I will.

Diamond Dogs....can we expect David Bowie to fight along side Snake?

That or he'll be the final boss... ..which come to think of it would be freaking damn cool.

Bowie would make an awesome Metal Gear boss.

If that happened I would instantly buy the game no questions asked.

I'd love to give this game a run but it doesn't alone justify buying a PS4 to me :(

SillySam:
I'm more interested in the 'him' Miller referred to in the beginning
It appears to be the first person view of a someone lying on a stretcher/table

I don't think it's revealed in the trailer who he is, or even his relevance to the plot

Possible spoilers

Kazedarkwind:
Seriously? i thought anyone with two brain cells could see that was Solid snake in the Phantom pain trailer. Hell i did and i never even played a MGS game >_>

A less presumptuous person with more than two brain cells would know it was Big Boss, not Solid Snake XD

J Tyran:
How can anyone take Snake seriously now? A dude with a rifle creeping about hiding and struggling to fight off a squad of soldiers if spotted cannot compare to Metal Gear Rising.

If one cyborg ninja can destroy platoons of troops and single handedly chop apart 50ft high battlemechs with ease how can one dude with a rifle ever be of use in that universe? Especially if he is the main Protagonist, Kojima raised the bar too high. Now Snake seems lame and underpowered now.

Good thing it's a prologue! But I see your point

Marik2:

I came to the same conclusion, since the mission of Ground Zeroes was to rescue Paz, and what supposedly follows is Big Boss coming out of the coma
I just thought it weird as you only see Chico in the GZ trailer, and you don't see him in the helicopter in the MGS5 trailer
And I just thought it might be significant that they chose Chico's POV for that scene

Baneat:
I'd love to give this game a run but it doesn't alone justify buying a PS4 to me :(

It's going to be on the PS3 and 360, says at the end of the trailer

Still believe we really dont need a new console generation and the games still look good

SillySam:

Marik2:

I came to the same conclusion, since the mission of Ground Zeroes was to rescue Paz, and what supposedly follows is Big Boss coming out of the coma
I just thought it weird as you only see Chico in the GZ trailer, and you don't see him in the helicopter in the MGS5 trailer
And I just thought it might be significant that they chose Chico's POV for that scene

In regards to the coma thing(I just beat mgs1), it was mentioned

Marik2:

I meant the '9-year coma' wasn't mentioned before
The cloning project was done because Big Boss was in a coma
Which puts that particular coma before Solid Snake was born, which is in 1972
Since Peace Walker happened in 1974 and MGS5 would probably happen after that, this seems like a different coma

Or just a retcon so all the Snakes are at least 2 years younger
Yay?

SillySam:

Marik2:

I meant the '9-year coma' wasn't mentioned before
The cloning project was done because Big Boss was in a coma
Which puts that particular coma before Solid Snake was born, which is in 1972
Since Peace Walker happened in 1974 and MGS5 would probably happen after that, this seems like a different coma

Or just a retcon so all the Snakes are at least 2 years younger
Yay?

Well the coma thing was left opened and just said "It was during the 1970s". Yeah Kojima is going to retcon the date of Solid and Liquid being born.

Anyone else think that doctor was Kio Marv?

Genericjim101:

Kazedarkwind:
Seriously? i thought anyone with two brain cells could see that was Solid snake in the Phantom pain trailer. Hell i did and i never even played a MGS game >_>

A less presumptuous person with more than two brain cells would know it was Big Boss, not Solid Snake XD

guess ya missed the part of my post that says "i never even played a MGS game" >.>

Zetatrain:

Well, it could possibly be a retcon. Solid and liquid were born in 1972 and MGS:PW happens in 1974. Since the events in Ground Zero happen 10 days after PW its safe to assume that it too happens in 1974. Having the birth dates changed by two years would not be such a bad thing. Also, I don't think PW ever mentioned Big Boss ending up in a Coma.

Well that'd be a pretty big retcon considering it was Big Boss' discovery of the Les Enfant Terribles project that made him leave the patriots and go form MSF in Peace Walker.

Bloody reply system, replied to the wrong post.

Kazedarkwind:

Genericjim101:

Kazedarkwind:

guess ya missed the part of my post that says "i never even played a MGS game" >.>

No, I got that part. But you were saying anyone could figure it out, but what you figured out was wrong anyway. Regardless of owning more than two braincells.

Uber Waddles:

Zachary Amaranth:
Kojima has just revealed this ain't rock and roll...This is genocide!

Uber Waddles:
The fuck did I just watch? That wasn't so much a teaser trailer as it was an acid dream that takes place in a hospital.

In fact, the internet seems to largely be ignoring the possibility of a "dream state." Maybe it's just because I don't give a crap about Kojima and therefore don't know something glaringly obvious, but a lot of the "supernatural" elements seem easily explained by some sort of wild dream, forced or otherwise, as the result of the coma. The Fox vs XOF imagery could also fit in, because dream states are often treated as having mirror-like qualities.

I don't discount it at all. However, I'm confused. Wasn't Snake supposed to have a bad case of the dead? How did he get his life extended by 9 years? Is that Snake, or a clone, or his evil brother Blake?

I'm not a fan of trailers like this. Prerendered aside, they have a music overlay to block critical material. It doesn't tell us anything other than "Hey, new MGS. Its still bat shit crazy. This time with Horsemen of the apocolypse."

1. That is not Snake that is Big Boss the guy Snake was cloned from.
2. Trailer was not per-rendered these are all the same graphics the game play will be in other trailers have shown this plus some of the footage was game play already.
3. This trailer tells us a insane amount of things I could write a whole page worth of things it tells.

songnar:
Two phantoms - Snake and Frank Jaeger, I presume.

Big Boss only coma was in 1972. Both of them got back together in 1977 and brought him and Naomi to America in 1980.

No, I got that part. But you were saying anyone could figure it out, but what you figured out was wrong anyway. Regardless of owning more than two braincells.

Apparently there's another secret ending with Miller and Zero on the phone that mention the "kids".

Dr Pussymagnet:

Zetatrain:

Well, it could possibly be a retcon. Solid and liquid were born in 1972 and MGS:PW happens in 1974. Since the events in Ground Zero happen 10 days after PW its safe to assume that it too happens in 1974. Having the birth dates changed by two years would not be such a bad thing. Also, I don't think PW ever mentioned Big Boss ending up in a Coma.

Well that'd be a pretty big retcon considering it was Big Boss' discovery of the Les Enfant Terribles project that made him leave the patriots and go form MSF in Peace Walker.

Oh damn I can't believe I forgot about that....well then if by some odd chance this coma is the one that leads to the birth of Solid and Liquid then Kojima is gonna have a lot of explaining to do.

Marik2:

Baneat:

It's going to be on the PS3 and 360, says at the end of the trailer

Still believe we really dont need a new console generation and the games still look good

Oh dear god it's going to look awful. We've needed one for years, it's seriously holding everything back.

BBboy20:

songnar:
Two phantoms - Snake and Frank Jaeger, I presume.

Big Boss only coma was in 1972. Both of them got back together in 1977 and brought him and Naomi to America in 1980.

Apparently there's another secret ending with Miller and Zero on the phone that mention the "kids".

DAmmit theres lots of secret tape recordings that are tricky to get

Still cant beat peacewalker in extra ops cuz it focuses too much on co op play and ammo runs out

Uber Waddles:

I don't discount it at all. However, I'm confused. Wasn't Snake supposed to have a bad case of the dead? How did he get his life extended by 9 years? Is that Snake, or a clone, or his evil brother Blake?

Someone's probably answered, but this is Big Boss, not Solid. It will likely bridge the gap between Peace Walker (?) and MGS1.

Vie:

Voren:
Well if no one is gonna ask, I will.

Diamond Dogs....can we expect David Bowie to fight along side Snake?

That or he'll be the final boss... ..which come to think of it would be freaking damn cool.

Bowie would make an awesome Metal Gear boss.

And if they kept Bowie's shapeshifting powers from the Venture Brothers? That would be the tits!

OT: Well, that was trippy. Were those figures seen made of fire real or after-effects from Big Boss's coma drugs? But either way, I am stoked for more MGS, for all it's off the wall insanity. Bravo, Kojima, you mad magnificent bastard!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here