Blizzard Admits Diablo III Auction House Was a Mistake

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The game's stat design, drop rates, and lack of item-based builds are the problem. The AH could have worked and can still work, just don't design the rest of the game to make it practically required. I don't care if other people want to farm, but don't make me do it.

The stated reason for forced online was the ah, so I would think this implies that forced online was just as much a mistake as the ah.. so thats nice

Also if your intention was to make the ah optional, something used by a few.. why was the gear system based around the ah (gear drops were derivatively based on ah needs), if farming something becomes literally impossible because the ah doesnt need you to farm that thing, how the fuck are you not supposed to use ah?

I wouldn't mind if they kept the Gold-based auction house in place, but I'd be really glad if the Real Money one was closed. I looked over a few prices for the lulz a few months back and, well, I was gobsmacked. People are actually willing to pay a hundred bucks for a virtual item? I've seen Max Bids set at very specific amounts in the thousands, too!

What's the point of playing if you're pretty much just going to use the game as a speculator's tool?

As for Gold? Shit, that currency's already devalued as all Hell. Entry-level blues for lowbies go in the tens of thousands.

It's still the core reason why I've never finished Inferno. Drops turn into cash generators and you end up being forced to ogle the auction houses in the hopes that you'll find something to keep you going. I'm surprised Blizzard didn't realize they'd created a speculator bubble for themselves. They're seeing it pop and are panicking, so the only way they can respond is by firing Jay Wilson or relocating him elsewhere in the company.

My guess is Blizz is in Damage Control mode now. We'll see if Paragon is enough to keep people playing or if the entire system is going to collapse in a few more months.

My question remains how much money have they made from the auction house? They say it's a mistake but then they give a reason why they can't kill it...

It's a total lie they didn't base the game around the AH feature, they limited your item chest space requiring huge gold piles to upgrade it and allowed you to put up a number of bids and not have to monitor them. The game was basically designed like. I didn't even want to use the stupid AH but I did to unload some of the more rare items and it worked...just like it was designed to.

The sad thing is, I bet they they could have received at least a hundred e-mails foretelling this conclusion.....and they still would have done it anyway.

Hmm

>_>

an apology is better than nothing..

d-^_^-b

Beautiful End:
I really feel bad for everyone here. I feel bad for the developers because it must be hard to admit that your creation just didn't quite live to everyone's expectations. And I also feel bad for the Diablo fans because you could really see how excited they all were for this title.

At the same time, I admire the fact they admitted it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. Most developers would go "Oh, it's the audience's fault" or "Figures they wouldn't like it if its not CoD". So props for that?

No. No props. This has been bleeding obvious since the first week of Diablo 3 live. They've probably known it a lot longer too, they just dont give a fuck anymore.

Honestly, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not realize that a loot based game would be screwed up if your main source of grinding is an AH?

And for clarification: any "you"s in this post is aimed at the developers, not your post.

Captcha: Dollar signs. Wow captcha, nail on the head.

tzimize:

Beautiful End:
I really feel bad for everyone here. I feel bad for the developers because it must be hard to admit that your creation just didn't quite live to everyone's expectations. And I also feel bad for the Diablo fans because you could really see how excited they all were for this title.

At the same time, I admire the fact they admitted it wasn't exactly what they had in mind. Most developers would go "Oh, it's the audience's fault" or "Figures they wouldn't like it if its not CoD". So props for that?

No. No props. This has been bleeding obvious since the first week of Diablo 3 live. They've probably known it a lot longer too, they just dont give a fuck anymore.

Honestly, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not realize that a loot based game would be screwed up if your main source of grinding is an AH?

And for clarification: any "you"s in this post is aimed at the developers, not your post.

Captcha: Dollar signs. Wow captcha, nail on the head.

Well, I suppose that's true but still...at least they admit it eventually. Most developers just never admit it and blame it on everyone but their cat. I'm not saying everything is forgiven, no, no. It's still their damn fault the game sucks and I'm sure there must have been at least a guy that said "Wait, maybe this game sucks" before the game was released.

But still, I can appreciate them admitting the game sucks while everyone else says "I told you so".

Whole point of having GAH and RMAH was to protect people from having to use 3rd party sites. This article sounds like some inane comments to make PR noise.

Real problem was that used items could always be reposted to market, thereby making a huge supply of replacement equipment available that was generally better than what you could find in-game. If they had gone with "binding" gear to the toon (ala lotro), then that would removed excess gear sloshing on market and make found gear feel more worthwhile.

Fappy:
Now just remove the AH and always online requirement and I may actually check out your game, Blizz.

So basically you are waiting for the Console version then.

Ed130:

Scorpid:
Well I suppose it's good that capitalism exists for Diablo fans, because Torchlight 2 was a better Diablo experience then Diablo 3 was.

Not only Torchlight 2, both Path of Exile and Grim Dawn wouldn't be this far along in development if it weren't for the disappointment of D3

Thanks for the mentioning these two titles as I hadnt heard of them before. The info about those two games look like they have potential especially the one being worked on by the Titan quest devs.

Blizzard damn well knew what they were trying to do in introducing the Auction House, and quite frankly they deserve no pity. They call the AH a mistake, but it was a calculated risk; players' enjoyment of the game vs forced grind.

cdemares:
The game's stat design, drop rates, and lack of item-based builds are the problem. The AH could have worked and can still work, just don't design the rest of the game to make it practically required. I don't care if other people want to farm, but don't make me do it.

The drop rates are fucked because of the AH.
(Also, the stat-skill system is designed specifically to reduce player skill as a factor for character performance, which in turn skews the value items even higher.)

By simple economics, there is finite Demand but infinite Supply. Given enough time, the game will eventually generate more desirable or even ideal items than the player population can demand.
Complicating matters is that all of Demand is also a form of Supply.

So why slash the drop rates?
To slow the depreciation of initial item values, and (vainly) try to slow the rate of inflation (gold).

If drop rates are sufficiently high to satisfy demand innately, there is literally no point to the AH (or any of those 3rd Party Sites/Black Markets the AH is supposed to "protect" the players from).

It all leads back to grind, and the sacrifices to gameplay designed to emphasize the grind.
Blizzard wants you to grind to keep you playing, and playing to keep feeding them revenue they didn't actually work for or earn.

The thing that irked me about the Auction House is that you might as well use it. Past Normal, it's the only way to get gear that is actually your level. By Inferno, you pretty much have to use it. Perhaps if they hadn't set it up so that you had shitty drops the whole game, players wouldn't have 'abused' the AH... well, no. That's not true. I mean, why hunt it down when you can just buy it? Money is otherwise useless in Diablo.

Adam Jensen:
Well look at that. Another case in point that fans know what the fuck they're talking about.

No offense but the only time fans ever know what the fuck they are talking about is with intrusive DRM and (usually) EA being dicks. Granted, if you were talking about the DRM sucking in Diablo 3 because of the AH than sure, I can get onboard with the fans, but you aren't so my previous statement that most fans, and people in general for that matter, are idiots and wrong about almost everything they say, think and believe still stands. It was a failed experiment, but it doesn't mean it was a bad one to do.

Maybe they aren't beyond redemption then. Up until this point, it seemed to me that Blizzard's tactic was to simply repeatedly say "What are you talking about, it works great, if anything doesn't work properly it's the users' fault".

Frankly, I've got no sympathy for anyone in this case. Blizzard's made too much money for anyone to have to defend them, and the fans? This is the same group of fans that ran one boss for ten fucking years. He wasn't a particularly inventive or creative boss. In fact, he was pretty on par to the D3 bosses. But that didn't stop people from continually attacking just him for a decade. So no, I don't give a shit that the AH took away "the need to grind for equipment".

irishda:
This is the same group of fans that ran one boss for ten fucking years. He wasn't a particularly inventive or creative boss. In fact, he was pretty on par to the D3 bosses. But that didn't stop people from continually attacking just him for a decade.

I'm sorry, can you clarify what you're referencing here? I'm quite curious.

Skeleon:
Maybe they aren't beyond redemption then. Up until this point, it seemed to me that Blizzard's tactic was to simply repeatedly say "What are you talking about, it works great, if anything doesn't work properly it's the users' fault".

Call me cynical, but I don't think this is indication that they're going to change that behavior in the future.

Man, remember Blizzard liked their community?

irishda:
So no, I don't give a shit that the AH took away "the need to grind for equipment".

The Auction House didn't remove the need to grind for equipment, but amplified it.
Either you pay money to get your items, or you grind yourself stupid. There is no alternative.

In Diablo 2, this didn't stop players from rushing Hell Forge and doing stacked Baal runs for the better part of a decade but at least those madmen did so entirely by choice (I guarantee that every one of them doing the rushing had already beaten Hell Mode, and were either doing Ladder Rushes, or were grinding for runes).

This begs the question of whether the PS4 version will have an AH. If it does, Jay will have egg on his face.

The AH is the main reason why I still haven't bought D3. Until they get rid of it my money stays in my wallet.

My wife accused me of wanting to cheat when I kept talking about Ariel Hudson.
I told her that Ariel Hudson is a wonderful person and that she'll enjoy meeting her and interacting with her as I did, but my wife remained very skeptical.
She accused me that I would eventually value Ariel Hudson over her and that this would hurt our relationship. I told she was being silly, she hadn't even met AH yet.

Then when she met AH, AH told my wife that we'd been cheating on her.
My wife raged, cried and for months wrote only about what a asshole I was on her blog. I remained steadfast, I wasn't cheating on her and I had only met AH, because it was in her best interest.

One day my wife stopped come home. She had moved all her stuff out.

I apologized and told her AH was a mistake. My wife burst out crying and she was so happy that I'd realized my mistake.
She wanted to move back in with me. When she arrived at my house AH was still there. I said: "Well I wasn't sure if part of you might still like AH, so I didn't ask her to move out. But it definitely was a mistake."

Just put an eBay logo on it and say its there to capture the spirit of the older games in the series

Yet another game breaking problem that can be linked back to trying to implement microtransactions into gameplay. I guess to be fair the problem with AH is how it was designed not the concept itself, still this type of crap happens when you try to force extra features into a game for reasons not related to making it more fun to play.

That's not a mistake, that's a bloody SUCCESS, Blizzard.

The quote:
"Almost every one of the game's players made use of an Auction House, and 50% of all players use one "regularly". Wilson says that the game still has a daily player base of around 1 million concurrent players, with 3 million per month. He says the problem is that the Auction Houses made money a much higher motivator than actually, you know, killing Diablo."

It doesn't matter if it bores, hurts and frustrates your players to tears, if they still keep coming back for more. No point in apologizing to them.

As for the players who really didn't like it, they have migrated to Torchlight 2 already. For them nothing you may say matters anymore.

My friends had a lan recently and we tried to play some diablo 3 but It was simply not a fun game, the spells are all the same and no ways to make it interresting. In the end we went back to diablo 2 and had a very good time.
But I dont think its the auction house fault I think its more there are no tactics to it like the old ones, in diablo 3 its basically just click on a monster until it dies(use 5 different animations but with the completely same effect).

Wow. It takes a big man to admit that you've screwed up. I play Runescape as well, and the developers there downright REFUSE to acknowledge when they've made a misstep. So...Thanks, Blizzard. Thanks for at least saying when you've messed up.

Capcha: "magic decoder ring"

...Well then.

Hmm, and when one of Diablo II's former developers noted that the Auction House was a massive break from how they would have designed Diablo II, how did Jay Wilson react?

Hence I'm not surprised that Diablo III turned out to be such a goddamn waste of ninety dollars.

the way i see it the aucion house is optional right? so dont use it if you dont like it.
and if you want to use it, its useful for you.
but we are gamers, we use a feature daily and in the evening we complain about its existence.

Little Gray:
Taking it out now would be a massive problem though because on top of what he said you would have to restructure drop rates

Except that they've already done that. On release, it was a big problem because there was simply no way to get through inferno without using the auction house, and uniques were so rare you'd probably never see one unless you bought it and they were mostly useless anyway. But there has been a huge amount of rebalancing since then, and now it's not a problem at all to play through the whole game without visiting the AH once (which is exactly what I've done). The majority of complaints about the AH now seem to come either from people who played near release and haven't seen any of the changes since then, or who have never played it at all and just assume it's all terrible without actually knowing any of the details.

So sure, getting rid of the AH might need some further messing with drop rates. But that's something they've done before and continue to work on so it's hardly a massive problem.

as well as the game lobby. You would need a new lobby similar to diablo 2's in order to make it work.

Why?

Kakulukia:
The solution is easy. Open servers without AH

What difference would that make? A server without an AH is exactly the same as a server with an AH that you simply choose not to use.

and allow offline play.

I think very few people would disagree with this though. It's not usually too bad, especially compared with most MMOs, but I still can't see the point of starting a hardcore character when about 50% of my deaths are due to lag.

Sack of Cheese:
I only completed Diablo 3 on Normal for 4-5 characters thus I didn't find AH very useful.

Normal mode is basically the tutorial; it's significantly easier than normal mode in Diablo 2. While they advertised inferno as a new, even higher difficulty setting, it was actually the other way around with the new setting added on the bottom. So yeah, even at the start there was never any reason to use the AH until well into nightmare, and no actual need until late into hell.

This is what happens when a rookie developer thinks he is smarter than the player base.

The player base is smarter than you Jay, you can't expect people to act the way you THINK or WANT them to act, they will ALWAYS take the path of least resistance, its human nature.

AH is path of least resistance, it has been in every game with an AH. You guys RUN World of Warcraft, you didn't expect this?!

The AH isn't NEARLY the games only problem, but yes, it was a major negative factor.

Epic Fail 1977:
This begs the question of whether the PS4 version will have an AH. If it does, Jay will have egg on his face.

The AH is the main reason why I still haven't bought D3. Until they get rid of it my money stays in my wallet.

Its actually already been confirmed to NOT have an AH in it.

Smart on their part.

kajinking:
Oh EA!

You wanted to tell us something?...

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with EA?

OT: I never used the Auction House, but I only got about halfway through Hell before getting distracted by other games.

The main point was that the drops were so terrible that you couldn't get through Hell difficulty without visiting the AH. It was cheaper to buy more powerful equipment from the AH than from the in-game stores or blacksmith. Why would I want to play for better loot if it's near impossible to find in-game? And the paragon gold bonuses didn't help anything. They just gave you more gold to spend at the AH. Because what else are you gonna do with the gold? Grinding for gold is a lot less fun than grinding for loot. Because the loot is way more tangible.

AH can't work in a ARPG it essentially removes a big portion of the game. It will break the game it's impossible to implement a balanced one.

Kahani:

as well as the game lobby. You would need a new lobby similar to diablo 2's in order to make it work.

Why?

Because without an easy way to advertise and trade items it would destroy the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here