New Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer: Shall We Begin?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

As someone who never even watched a full episode of Star Trek, it's safe to say I can watch this like I'm watching MOVIE IN SPACE: WE ARE IN SPACE LOOK SPACE HOLY SHIT and enjoy it no problem, because it does look pretty awesome.

Edit: a quick search tells me there's a lot of series spanning the years. Should I give a second try at all and if so, where do I start?

AxelxGabriel:
Here`s a drinking game for ya! Take a shot every time someones jumping off of something!

Hey careful, your going to get someone killed from alcohol poisoning. Though at least its not the explosions drinking game, or *gulp* the lens flare one....

Keneth:
Everyone seems to be forgetting the legendary "Start Trek Movie Curse." Historically, so the legend goes, every other ST movie is bad. Nemesis was horrible, J.J.'s Star Trek was ok.

This one is gonna bomb...

According to the pattern...

The Motion Picture - Bad
The Wrath of Khan - Good
The Search for Spock - Bad (underrated)
The Voyage Home - Good
The Final Frontier - Bad
The Undiscovered Country - Good
Generations - Bad
First Contact - Good
Insurrection - Bad
Nemesis - Good? (Nobody thinks Nemesis is good)
JJ Abrams Reboot - Bad? (Most people like it)
Into Darkness (According to the pattern) - Good

So if the pattern is to believed the next movie should actually be good, but it was wrong about the last 2 according to general consensus so I'd ignore it.

At 2:03 I think that's a Klingon Bird of Prey. Don't blink or you'll miss it

Oh boy, yet another Star Trek movie about revenge. The last 3 movies have been about revenge. Why can't Star Trek be about something other than revenge. Star Trek is known for it's interesting and philosophical plots, now it's just "I'll get you for that!"

It is like Wrath of Khan but without Khan. The question is how many times can we rip the best ST movie.

Just to give a clear image of both ships.

EDIT:

http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/16/shot-by-shot-analysis-of-star-trek-into-darkness-domestic-theatrical-trailer/

Breakdown of the trailer frame by frame, in good quality res.

AxelxGabriel:
Here`s a drinking game for ya! Take a shot every time someones jumping off of something!

That's what I was thinking too. There certainly is a lot of jumping off of high places in this movie.

*headdeask*

No...no no no no. Seriously, just no.

BrotherRool:
This is that Phantom Menace thing's sequel right?

Nah, not everyone in that was an annoying teen.

I dunno about the mirror universe thing, no one had a beard....
And do these movies take place before during after or instead of the series?
And what's with the Deadspace zoomy-through debris sequence.
Colonial Marines, Thi4F (shudder) now this.
I'm cryogenically freezing my expectations for this year I'm so tired of hype and the associated dissappointment.

MorganL4:
Yay lens flair.....

But no seriously, I am looking forward to this, Benedict Cumberbatch is really starting to be the big baddie of our generation, Star Trek The Hobbit..... I wonder which villain he will tackle next....

Have you seen his Sherlock, though? I think he's damn well rather awesome there. Bilbo is totally his bitch, too.

OT: Same here. Not interested in Zachary Quinto, I OD'd when Heroes was still worthwhile. Which is Šons in the past now. Not interested in the Kirk guy, he's not my Kirk. Cumberbatch, though... aye, I feel I need some more Cumberbatch. Maybe I don't need more Cumberbatch. Maybe I want more Cumberbatch.

Headdrivehardscrew:

MorganL4:
Yay lens flair.....

But no seriously, I am looking forward to this, Benedict Cumberbatch is really starting to be the big baddie of our generation, Star Trek The Hobbit..... I wonder which villain he will tackle next....

Have you seen his Sherlock, though? I think he's damn well rather awesome there. Bilbo is totally his bitch, too.

OT: Same here. Not interested in Zachary Quinto, I OD'd when Heroes was still worthwhile. Which is Šons in the past now. Not interested in the Kirk guy, he's not my Kirk. Cumberbatch, though... aye, I feel I need some more Cumberbatch. Maybe I don't need more Cumberbatch. Maybe I want more Cumberbatch.

LOL..... Do I know Sherlock?..... Dude, I was popping popcorn, and setting aside the whole evening the night that show premiered here in the US, I am obsessed with the show's producer/writer... If he writes it I know about it, and see it the day it comes out.... It has been that way since 2003... OH GOD!!! that makes 10 years now!!! I just realized that.

This is looking pretty good.

Just remember not to waste your money on the 3D version. It was post-converted to 3D after filming, against the Director's wishes (until Paramount got him to say he loved it)

it looks pretty impressive. i have to admit that. have to see if my father will watch it. he is a trekky fan but not a fan to go in to cinemas. lol.
the last one was, well, watchable. my father thought is was alright but i could see he prefers the older once more.

this one, well, maybe i will watch it.

Soviet Heavy:
Holy shit would you look at the size of the Warp Nacelles on that Galaxy Class. That thing is a monster.

When that thing warped in, I literally said "Holy Shit."

Ugh... that dialogue. Seriously, close your eyes and listen to the lines in that trailer: does it sound at all like something Star Trek?

DaxStrife:
Ugh... that dialogue. Seriously, close your eyes and listen to the lines in that trailer: does it sound at all like something Star Trek?

Yeah, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country or Sisko any times during the Dominion war. How about Picard losing the plot with the Borg during First Contact? Lots of times in fact.

To be clear, I only threw in the Mirror Universe reference because it was the first thing to come to mind when I thought, "Where did he get that big-ass black starship?"

Keneth:
Everyone seems to be forgetting the legendary "Start Trek Movie Curse." Historically, so the legend goes, every other ST movie is bad. Nemesis was horrible, J.J.'s Star Trek was ok.

This one is gonna bomb...

I actually really liked Nemesis, it was Data heavy, and Data is one of my favorite characters. Plus with the tragic loss the end and then the thing line of hope, it was a moving edition to the franchise.

J.J.'s Star Trek is the one that is horrible.

It is a throwaway action movie that embodies nothing of what Star Trek was and still is with the past material. Rehashing old jokes to do a piss poor job to try and appeal to the established and old fans, and having sort of similar looking ships and uniforms, does not make a good Star Trek movie.

It fails because its core and cover embody the act of trying to make a classic science fiction series "hip and cool" to the younger generation that didn't grow up with it. The cast was way too young, it had over the top flashy special effects, and for the most part, action, action, and more action, too keep the ADD ridden youth interested, because God for bid that there be actual long stretches of story development through normal paced talking, arguments, and discussions.

I actually felt ill when I left the theater, because of how horribly done J.J.'s Star Trek was, and is. And it makes me even more sick to know that even though it is set in an alternate universe, it has messed with the canon of the normal series timeline, Star Trek Online is proof of that.

This is why I have no hope for the new Star Wars, because Abrams when it comes to having control of an established franchise has no respect for anything that came before, he just skins it and dances around wearing the skin, while making fun of people that are heartbroken on how he ruins things because he wants to make them in his style, instead of doing them proper.

Gammayun:

MarsProbe:

J Tyran:

Its hard to make out but it looks like a hybrid of an Excelsior class, a Galaxy class and an Ambassador class. At least in art direction anyway.

Can't help but think the "body" of the nacelle sections looks somewhat Excelsior class to me. Other than maybe the saucer section, can't see anything that looks reminiscent of the Galaxy class. It'll of course probably turn out to be none of the above, but if you squint a little you can always imagine it as bigger, meaner version of the standard "white" Enterprise. It's being taking a lot of protein shakes and working out a lot at the gym.

Don't really have a problem with this trailer myself....does the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Just a bit further on in that trailer (about 1:29), does Harrison's ship seem to have a gap in the middle of the saucer section? If so, that's no Starfleet ship design I'm aware of.

If you pause it at 2:13 you can see a clear view of the ship firing on the enterprise, and I have to admit that does look very Galaxy class to me. So I guess I might of been a bit wrong

Edit: Typed in wrong place, sorry.

That's it, I'm taking your lunch money.

OT: It looks just like the first film really: neither bad or great, an equilibrium of mediocre. Though I'm impressed by how awesome Sherlock is at being a villain.

Wintermute:
As someone who never even watched a full episode of Star Trek, it's safe to say I can watch this like I'm watching MOVIE IN SPACE: WE ARE IN SPACE LOOK SPACE HOLY SHIT and enjoy it no problem, because it does look pretty awesome.

Edit: a quick search tells me there's a lot of series spanning the years. Should I give a second try at all and if so, where do I start?

Star Trek: The Next Generation - seeing as how Picard is the only good captain. Though if you are planning to see this movie I'd check out the first J.J. Abrams flick, and possibly the original series ('same' captain as this film, different continuity).

Well, this trailer gets points over the other ones for actually showing that, YES, this Star Trek movie does have star trekking in it. All we've been shown so far is mass destruction on Earth and deep ominous voices - not that this trailer didn't have that too.

I'm probably going to see this movie anyway, based on how much I enjoyed the last one, but the marketing for this movie has been terrible. Seriously, if it isn't the poster ripped straight from The Dark Knight trilogy, or the blond girl in her underwear for no important reason (nice and all, but come on), or the boring color pallete (especially compared to the refreshingly colorful previous film), or the BWAAAAAMP... it's the lack of flippin' space travel.

Wintermute:

Well, you have:

The original series Star Trek: 3 seasons, 6 movies.
The Next Generation: 7 seasons, 4 movies, the first Next Gen movie, melds together the original series cast with the Next Gen cast.
Deep Space 9: 7 Seasons.
Star Trek Voyager: 7 seasons
Last is a point of contention among Trekkies, but, Enterprise: 4 seasons. It is hit and miss, and is rather crazy because it takes place before the original series and messes around with time travel way too much.

So, 28 season, 10 movies.

Now I'm more partial to starting with Next Generation, because I grew up with it and it was the first series I knew of. But really, I guess you should start at the beginning with the original series, though prepare for old old sci-fi cheesy-ness with a sixties flare, because it aired from 1966 to 68.

Overall, I like Deep Space 9 the best, I watch it all the way through, just about every year, though, don't start with it.

Each series has it's own feel and style, though they all come together to make a rather cohesive franchise. If you do make it through a good portion of it, you will see why a majority of Trek fans detest/despise what J.J. has done.

If you have Netflix, watching all the series will be possible, and most of the movies.

OlasDAlmighty:

I'm proving you wrong. I think Nemesis is good. The Data story-arch is sad, but heartwarming.

On Abrams, the only people I know that said they liked it, are people that have never watched Star Trek and don't know what makes Star Trek, Star Trek, and Star Trek fans that are in denial and make an acceptation based on the fact it is set in an alternate universe.

J Tyran:

DaxStrife:

Yeah, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country or Sisko any times during the Dominion war. How about Picard losing the plot with the Borg during First Contact? Lots of times in fact.

I have all that fresh in my mind, because I re-watch most of the Star Trek franchise every year-year and a half, and Abrams stuff is nothing like it, and sounds nothing like it. Some of the words and word structure may be the same, but the acting force and the weight of properly structured story are nowhere present.

The theory of a time travel, mirror universe starship isn't as outlandish as it sounds. I think an episode of Enterprise did that exact same thing right before its finale. If I remember right, the evil crew of Enterprise find that the Tholians have captured a Constitution-class, and they go and steal it. Basically, an excuse to play around on the TOS set without ruining the continuity of the last three episodes.

Anyway, yeah, the first thing that jumped to mind at the sight of that ship was a black, armor-plated Sovereign-class, and I think after comparing them, they still look pretty similar.

The nacelles are a little too big and higher up, but that's just the style of this universe. Other than that, the overall shape is pretty much the same, with the exception of being more angular in design. Even the size ratio seems about right when comparing it to Kirk's Enterprise.

I'm sure it'll be just another mindless action story with flashy space battles but no intelligence. Like the 2009 movie. Or The Wrath of Khan. Or the TOS episode "Balance of Terror".

Wait...

Gammayun:

If you pause it at 2:13 you can see a clear view of the ship firing on the enterprise, and I have to admit that does look very Galaxy class to me. So I guess I might of been a bit wrong

Edit: Typed in wrong place, sorry.

Checking again, I can see what you mean. It's kind of hard to tell from this angle if it's nacelle's are sticking out almost at right angles in the Galaxy class style, but who knows. Given that someone said Harrison sounds rather like Picard at one point. So maybe it is Picard, or at least another clone of him, Nemesis style, who has knocked together his own badass version of the Enterprise D to get revenge on Kirk for...something. I couldn't imagine what though.

Well, if these haven't been some of the nerdiest posts I've made anywhere in a while. Though go back 15 years or so and I could also have rhymed off all the registration numbers for every significant Starfleet ship and not just the Enterprises. No, I wasn't very good at PE in school.

Edit: quote error.

Sonic Doctor:

J Tyran:

DaxStrife:

I have all that fresh in my mind, because I re-watch most of the Star Trek franchise every year-year and a half, and Abrams stuff is nothing like it, and sounds nothing like it. Some of the words and word structure may be the same, but the acting force and the weight of properly structured story are nowhere present.

You think Star Trek: Nemesis is good, I think that gives an appropriate value to your opinions. Pines acting when he sees whatever ship that happens to be and realizes the mess he is in and that Pikes comment about getting his whole crew killed might come true is fairly good.

You claim Star Trek fans are in denial and its true, they are in denial but not for the reasons you give. The fans that are in denial are the ones that claim the new Star Trek films are nothing like the old ones when the opposite is true. They are exactly like the old ones, they just have modern SFX and modern action sensibilities.

Scarim Coral:
Ok the new scene (Kirk ship coming face to face with the bigger villain ship) got more even more hyped up now!

Is it just me or can anyone easily see that the ship get damage while taking casualty and crash into the sea but somehow later on it rise up again (either they somehow repair the damage quickly while underwater or it's still damaged)?

SPOILERS for the first few minutes showed before the Hobbit when it was in theatres.

On the trailer: it's great. It's everything I'd want it to be. I have come to accept that these are just action movies in Star Trek form and I love 'em so far. A particularly touching moment was when Kirk turns around and says "I'm sorry", probably realizing he made a huge mistake and people are going to suffer for it.
I know it's a trailer and they skew the films actual plot, but DAMN. I think people are going to get killed in this movie, important people. It's an alternate timeline so they can basically do anything they want.

Iron Criterion:

Wintermute:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - seeing as how Picard is the only good captain. Though if you are planning to see this movie I'd check out the first J.J. Abrams flick, and possibly the original series ('same' captain as this film, different continuity).

Bullshit on that.

Sisqo > Picard.

Why? Because if I go into a war I want the guy who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

If I'm not in a war, I just want him to monologue around me a lot because I lurve his voice.

Its so awesome.

Shemming:
I rather hope they don't rehash the whole ship from the future thing again.

that was my thought as well, wait a sec a big ship from somewhere else (it might not be mirror universe but as the enterprise is the flagship so going to be a big/the biggest ship in fleet you kind of assume the other one is from another place) with the one giving orders pissed at an enterprise bridge officer. humm this is all getting a little familiar.

RoBi3.0:

To be fair it has been hypothesized that Black holes could be used to time travel in some manner. That is an actual physics thing. I am not a physicist by any means so I can't defend it beyond that.

unless there have been some new things i have not heard about the whole time travel/black hole thing is more go into orbit around a super massive black hole and use the large time dilation to let you travel into the future. time travels more slowly the closer you are to objects of mass, the more mass the slower times goes. so 5 years pass for you and 10-20-30 (numbers all made up) years have passed further away from the black hole.

i dont think they have worked out any ways to travel back in time yet.

OlasDAlmighty:

According to the pattern...

The Motion Picture - Bad
The Wrath of Khan - Good
The Search for Spock - Bad (underrated)
The Voyage Home - Good
The Final Frontier - Bad
The Undiscovered Country - Good
Generations - Bad
First Contact - Good
Insurrection - Bad
Into Darkness (According to the pattern) - Good

i always liked insurrection, i know the reverse ageing thing was a little silly but standing up for what was right willing to give your life to protect it was picard all over for me.

J Tyran:

You think Star Trek: Nemesis is good, I think that gives an appropriate value to your opinions. Pines acting when he sees whatever ship that happens to be and realizes the mess he is in and that Pikes comment about getting his whole crew killed might come true is fairly good.

You claim Star Trek fans are in denial and its true, they are in denial but not for the reasons you give. The fans that are in denial are the ones that claim the new Star Trek films are nothing like the old ones when the opposite is true. They are exactly like the old ones, they just have modern SFX and modern action sensibilities.

Er... no. No, they're really not.

The old Star Trek series was a television show which challenged its audience. It wasn't about explosions or space ship battles. It was about putting the crew of the Enterprise in various ethically and philosophically challenging situations, and through them trying to get the audience to challenge their own beliefs and assumptions.

You know how the original Star Trek had a multi-racial, multi-gender crew? That was unheard of at the time. The very premise of the show set up a future where humanity had overcome its petty tribal differences, and things such as racism and sexism were a thing of the past. This was a show that came out in the Sixties, when racism and sexism were still common currency. Star Trek challenged audience members to look at their views on race, on gender, on nationality, and to see if they were really worth holding on to. It was the first show to portray on screen a kiss between a white character and a black one. That, at the time, was a huge Fuck You to establishment thinking, and it's one of the key moments of racial portrayal in pop culture.

Not only that, but the Prime Directive was a hugely important narrative tool that led to some incredibly morally challenging stories for the time. The Sixties was a period when people still clung to absolute ideals of Good and Evil, no doubt fuelled by the pervasive Cold War us-vs-them culture and the continued dominance of Christianity. With the Prime Directive, and its insistence that there can be no interference with the internal developments of alien civilisations, Star Trek created stories that went far beyond clear Good Vs Evil. Kirk, Spock and the crew were forced to face difficult decisions where there weren't any easy choices. It's easy now, post Sopranos and The Wire, to take this ethically challenging narrative style for granted, but at the time it was unheralded. The original Star Trek series tackled themes of slavery, discrimination and war, and did so with a (for the time) incredibly enlightened and modern mindset. This was a show that challenged all the accepted bigotries of the day, and inspired millions of people around the world to dream of a future where discrimination and bigotry were a relic of history.

What did the Star trek reboot do to carry on that legacy? What great ethical conundrums were there? What analysis did it offer of human bigotries? What philosophical musings? The reboot film was a shallow action film with wonky storytelling that simply wore the face of Star Trek like Hannibal Lecter.

And now they're going to do it again with Into Darkness. Must we accept it? No. I will not sacrifice the old Star trek series. They've made too many compromises already, too many retcons. They rewrite the characters, and we accept it. They destroy entire worlds, and we accept it. Not again! The line must be drawn here! This far! No further! And I will make Abrams pay for what he's done!

shintakie10:

Bullshit on that.

Sisqo > Picard.

Huh, neither of those is how you spell Janeway.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

J Tyran:

Er... no. No, they're really not.

The old Star Trek series was a television show which challenged its audience. It wasn't about explosions or space ship battles. It was about putting the crew of the Enterprise in various ethically and philosophically challenging situations, and through them trying to get the audience to challenge their own beliefs and assumptions.

You know how the original Star Trek had a multi-racial, multi-gender crew? That was unheard of at the time. The very premise of the show set up a future where humanity had overcome its petty tribal differences, and things such as racism and sexism were a thing of the past. This was a show that came out in the Sixties, when racism and sexism were still common currency. Star Trek challenged audience members to look at their views on race, on gender, on nationality, and to see if they were really worth holding on to. It was the first show to portray on screen a kiss between a white character and a black one. That, at the time, was a huge Fuck You to establishment thinking, and it's one of the key moments of racial portrayal in pop culture.

Not only that, but the Prime Directive was a hugely important narrative tool that led to some incredibly morally challenging stories for the time. The Sixties was a period when people still clung to absolute ideals of Good and Evil, no doubt fuelled by the pervasive Cold War us-vs-them culture and the continued dominance of Christianity. With the Prime Directive, and its insistence that there can be no interference with the internal developments of alien civilisations, Star Trek created stories that went far beyond clear Good Vs Evil. Kirk, Spock and the crew were forced to face difficult decisions where there weren't any easy choices. It's easy now, post Sopranos and The Wire, to take this ethically challenging narrative style for granted, but at the time it was unheralded. The original Star Trek series tackled themes of slavery, discrimination and war, and did so with a (for the time) incredibly enlightened and modern mindset. This was a show that challenged all the accepted bigotries of the day, and inspired millions of people around the world to dream of a future where discrimination and bigotry were a relic of history.

What did the Star trek reboot do to carry on that legacy? What great ethical conundrums were there? What analysis did it offer of human bigotries? What philosophical musings? The reboot film was a shallow action film with wonky storytelling that simply wore the face of Star Trek like Hannibal Lecter.

And now they're going to do it again with Into Darkness. Must we accept it? No. I will not sacrifice the old Star trek series. They've made too many compromises already, too many retcons. They rewrite the characters, and we accept it. They destroy entire worlds, and we accept it. Not again! The line must be drawn here! This far! No further! And I will make Abrams pay for what he's done!

There is very little I would disagree with in your post, ToS did challenge a lot of things and thats what made it special. The problem is those themes have been done and redone, it also fell into a trap of regurgitating them over and over with a diarrhea of technobabble. How would the series manage to do them over a 20th time? How could it escape the spiral of decline? Box office figures for the films had crashed and the TV series had died, perhaps beyond all hope of recovery.

They simply didn't try, they just made a simple plot. One man trying to work out who he was Vs another man on a rampage of vengeance, Nothing wrong with going back to basics at all. Its not even all that differant from past TV or movies plots either. If you do not like the new films thats fine, I do have some sympathy too as you feel the series isn't something you like anymore. Thing is the new films have objectively saved the series, the incomes from the first film and the fact they have thrown even more into a sequel proves that its been saved.

I am happy to see it continue, a new generation of Trek fans will be born from the success of these films and who knows there might even be a new TV series one day. I do not want Star Trek to be a dead franchise where a few thousand Trekkies go from convention to convention listening to a steadily diminshing ex cast quoting the same anecdotes time and time again.

rodneyy:
i always liked insurrection, i know the reverse ageing thing was a little silly but standing up for what was right willing to give your life to protect it was picard all over for me.

Insurrection would have been a better 2-3 episode TV story than a film I think.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s: Another rousing speech, my good sir. I find it hilarious that people while little to no knowledge of the original series have the gall to say that we are in denial or are confused as to what we are talking about. You're talking to a group of people who have watched the series dozens of times. We don't go back for the poor graphics, the sloppy makeup, or the cheesy acting. It wasn't even about the external forces, the alien presence, the mystery of the unknown that pulled us back again and again. It was the internal struggles that permeated every episode, whether it is abandoning one of your best friends on a deserted planet because they may have become a threat, deciding whether to perform a dangerous medical procedure on one of your crew because it may may save a family member's life, or fighting your own bigotry of another race of people to try to find a compromise everyone can live with.

These were the stories that we saw in the old episodes (and I'm sure a number of my fellow Trekkies can call out the specific episodes referenced above), and this is what was missing in the new series. They blinded everyone (literally and figuratively) with graphics and moving fast to replace substance. You take out the names, ship design, and some of the costume choices and this could be any bland sci-fi movie. Having the environment be space and giving us some familiar names does not make this Star Trek, no matter how many those of you in "denial" may claim it to be so.

Also, to the person asking above which series to start out with: You can pick either TOS or TNG. Either one is going to have some shell-shock moments as you get used to the television styles of the era, but they're the best of the bunch. DS9 is decent, but the stories and acting go down a bit with an upgrade to graphics. VOY is a much worse offender, but it has it's bright moments to. Avoid Enterprise unless you discover you are a big fan of the series, and can plod through a lot of boredom and uninteresting characters.

J Tyran:

There is very little I would disagree with in your post, ToS did challenge a lot of things and thats what made it special. The problem is those themes have been done and redone, it also fell into a trap of regurgitating them over and over with a diarrhea of technobabble. How would the series manage to do them over a 20th time? How could it escape the spiral of decline? Box office figures for the films had crashed and the TV series had died, perhaps beyond all hope of recovery.

They simply didn't try, they just made a simple plot. One man trying to work out who he was Vs another man on a rampage of vengeance, Nothing wrong with going back to basics at all. Its not even all that differant from past TV or movies plots either. If you do not like the new films thats fine, I do have some sympathy too as you feel the series isn't something you like anymore. Thing is the new films have objectively saved the series, the incomes from the first film and the fact they have thrown even more into a sequel proves that its been saved.

I am happy to see it continue, a new generation of Trek fans will be born from the success of these films and who knows there might even be a new TV series one day. I do not want Star Trek to be a dead franchise where a few thousand Trekkies go from convention to convention listening to a steadily diminshing ex cast quoting the same anecdotes time and time again.

The one thing I would disagree with you on is that the new series saved Star Trek. This new series is Star Trek like I would be Marilyn Monroe if I wore a white dress and a week. There are things that are similar, sure. It is not Star Trek. It is an imitation... a parody even. Space Balls is to Star Wars as Star Trek '09 is to Star Trek. You may even like Space Balls better! We're not going to be drinking that Kool-Aid, though...

Sonic Doctor:

OlasDAlmighty:

I'm proving you wrong. I think Nemesis is good. The Data story-arch is sad, but heartwarming.

On Abrams, the only people I know that said they liked it, are people that have never watched Star Trek and don't know what makes Star Trek, Star Trek, and Star Trek fans that are in denial and make an acceptation based on the fact it is set in an alternate universe.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you're the exception, not the rule.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_nemesis/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

Actually I do kinda agree with you on Nemesis, I don't know why everybody hates on it so much, but they do.

As for Star Trek: Abrams Style. Your talking to someone who's watched every series and every movie who likes it。

Rogue 09:
You may even like Space Balls better! We're not going to be drinking that Kool-Aid, though...

Nobodies trying to tell you what to drink. Noone has to like it, if people dislike it they dislike it but they really need to stop trying to justify the dislike because of "reasons". "Reasons" that almost entirely exist within their own head about what Star Trek "should be". Star Treks been reclaimed from the Trekkies that nearly destroyed it and its been made relevant for a new generation once again.

Thats what really matters, not "reasons".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here